Food at Johor

Aaagogo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My suggestion is and always will be Meldrum Walk by Jln Wong Ah Fook.

Back alley street food. EVERYTHING IS nice there,

Sup Kambing by the halal side is awesome. After u have Sup Kambing there, u won't have Sup Kambing in Sg ever again.

Indian mixed rice at the front entrance of the non-halal side, their curries always smells amazing,

Ikan Bakar priced @ 7-8RM/100g, maybe price increase, around 6 mths never order.

And my favourite, Oyster Omelette, once u eat there, u will never have Oyster Omelette anywhere else.

on the 2nd side of non-halal, the Bah Zang and Teochew Kuey is very good old school standard.

KTK (Kuay Tiao Kia) on the 2nd side is also decent.

Basically u can't go wrong with any stall at that whole street of back alley.

Any recommendations for dinner places in JB?

Preferably around Wong Ah Fook/Mount Austin!

Thanks in advance!

which one? got 3 stalls there that serves CKT, each with it's own following... The 1st stall by the non-halal section used to be very good, when the dad was frying. Quite some time back the son took over, son still gaining EXP, still a 3/5 hit, 2/5 miss.

i only get to update other stalls standard when i visit with a group of makan kaki. 1 person travel, stomach only got space for Sup Kambing and Oyster Omelette.

Thanks for the update. I like the char kway teow there

Last edited:

librarian

Reaction score
My suggestion is and always will be Meldrum Walk by Jln Wong Ah Fook.

Back alley street food. EVERYTHING IS nice there,

Sup Kambing by the halal side is awesome. After u have Sup Kambing there, u won't have Sup Kambing in Sg ever again.

Indian mixed rice at the front entrance of the non-halal side, their curries always smells amazing,

Ikan Bakar priced @ 7-8RM/100g, maybe price increase, around 6 mths never order.

And my favourite, Oyster Omelette, once u eat there, u will never have Oyster Omelette anywhere else.

on the 2nd side of non-halal, the Bah Zang and Teochew Kuey is very good old school standard.

KTK (Kuay Tiao Kia) on the 2nd side is also decent.

Basically u can't go wrong with any stall at that whole street of back alley.

which one? got 3 stalls there that serves CKT, each with it's own following... The 1st stall by the non-halal section used to be very good, when the dad was frying. Quite some time back the son took over, son still gaining EXP, still a 3/5 hit, 2/5 miss.

i only get to update other stalls standard when i visit with a group of makan kaki. 1 person travel, stomach only got space for Sup Kambing and Oyster Omelette.

Do you know if the fried oyster omelette stall is opened on Monday nights? Will like to drop by after visiting the KSL pasar malam

Aaagogo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
no, monday and tuesday are their permanent off days,

however, it might change, since they have been closed for over 2 months already and the auntie very unhappy that it's been that long. initial was 1- 1 1/2 months...

i'll know more details tomorrow. fingers crossed the renovation is complete and they are open, I'm having severe withdrawal symptoms from not being able to enjoy their dish for over 2 months...

Do you know if the fried oyster omelette stall is opened on Monday nights? Will like to drop by after visiting the KSL pasar malam

Last edited:

shane.downey

Reaction score
i miss the xiaolongbao beside MBO @ KSL. i think shop name call dshanghai or something. any kakis like that too? i can wack like 5 set of the XLB.. so YUMMY

anyone have better place for XLB ?

Yes its called Da Shanghai. Used to be good pricing, one of the place i often visit whenever Im there. But of late prices has increased due to popularity.

techizen2

Reaction score
Meldrum Walk oyster omelette is nice. Oysters medium size but plump. Don't forget the chicken wings, BBQ stingray, BBQ sea prawns also. They are very good and cheap.

D'Shanghai XLB is good but I like their brewed sugar cane drink the best. Must have 2 cups everytime. :D

Aaagogo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
While i definitely think they should get and deserve a tire star, but i don't want their queue to get any longer... if u go after 1800hrs be prepared to wait at least 45 mins.

ever since i ate their Oyster Omelette, that was back in the open air carpark, situated between the indian temple and the uncovered storm drain, favorite haunt especially during army days, bring then GF there paktor, watch movie @ citysquare, makan big fish big meat and pump petrol. :s13:

also, they serve oyster omelette, ~2.5eggs for small serving which i definitely very much prefer over fried oysters which is fried starch with 1 egg.

OMG, mouth watering already... hope and pray that renovations are finally done and they have reopened... in a handful of hours, i will know.

sometimes when i am on form, i will polish off 2 small servings, both with "add oyster" Rain or shine, if they open, i confirm visit
2h82ykw.jpg

every now and then, friends will ask me to bring them there, after they see all my photos of the dish

15rdu0j.jpg

That place I visit religiously, I consider it, my weekly food pilgrimage.

123p0dd.jpg

fn9teh.jpg

wk6640.jpg

Meldrum Walk oyster omelette is nice. Oysters medium size but plump. Don't forget the chicken wings, BBQ stingray, BBQ sea prawns also. They are very good and cheap.

D'Shanghai XLB is good but I like their brewed sugar cane drink the best. Must have 2 cups everytime. :D

Erwinlow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
While i definitely think they should get and deserve a tire star, but i don't want their queue to get any longer... if u go after 1800hrs be prepared to wait at least 45 mins.

ever since i ate their Oyster Omelette, that was back in the open air carpark, situated between the indian temple and the uncovered storm drain, favorite haunt especially during army days, bring then GF there paktor, watch movie @ citysquare, makan big fish big meat and pump petrol. :s13:

also, they serve oyster omelette, ~2.5eggs for small serving which i definitely very much prefer over fried oysters which is fried starch with 1 egg.

OMG, mouth watering already... hope and pray that renovations are finally done and they have reopened... in a handful of hours, i will know.

sometimes when i am on form, i will polish off 2 small servings, both with "add oyster" Rain or shine, if they open, i confirm visit
http://www.foodgem.sg/food/hawker-centre/xing-li-fried-oyster/

Have you tried this? My favourite in SG. Wonder how it compares. East Coast Lagoon hawker centre has a really gone one as well.

Aaagogo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hmm... that picture looks to have some potential. at least it is oyster egg, which would be a fair comparison.

i'll add that to my list.

however, based on the review writeup and from what i know about making omelettes, the minimum recommendation for making any omelette dish is 3 eggs, less than 3 eggs is very low chance of making the dish fluffy, airy and light.

another downside to any oyster egg in SG is the price. my rule of thumb is value for money. I don't mind paying, my issue is, don't charge me $10/serving, then give me slivers of ingredients. one of my biggest pet peeve when it comes to food is the "jiak peng anh"(meager portions) servings.

best example is the "famous duck rice" at ghim moh market. KNN, the duck meat they serve is paper thin, almost translucent and no wider than your pinkie finger and handful of slices... $5 dollars for that sheet... yes there is 1/2 egg, peanuts & tau kwa... but eh hello, i order duck rice, which means 2 ingredients, duck meat and rice. not duck with 1/2 egg, peanuts & tau kwa with rice. ordered once, never again.

Meldrum walk version, for RM10, u get a small serving with added oysters. Average about 20 oysters. next to impossible to beat, not only price, but the value u get out of it. an oyster omelette dish when u get an oyster for every mouthful of omelette is simply unbeatable. Wah lau, type until i drool...

if this style is served in SG, easily $10 a portion and the line will be around the block. (i'm considering learning from the uncle and opening a pasar malam stall to sell his dish, i already ask them all the questions about their dish, only lacking is the hands on practise and some pointers from the uncle.)

then there's the way they prepare it, in a cast iron Paella style pan. about 20 eggs at a time, for 8-10 servings. batch cook omelette and individual cook oysters for 15-20 seconds and serve.

http://www.foodgem.sg/food/hawker-centre/xing-li-fried-oyster/

Have you tried this? My favourite in SG. Wonder how it compares. East Coast Lagoon hawker centre has a really gone one as well.

Aaagogo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
**** LAH.... really boleh land standard man... 1 month "reno" become 3 months...

just spoke to oyster omelette auntie... 2nd Jan 2018 then they start back... auntie say Dec 26th everyone else will be back.

They tell her 24th Dec "reno" complete, 1-2 days clean up, reorganize, most stalls say will open by 26th... :(

KNN >3months never eat... i withdrawal symptom :s22: die liao

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

every now and then, friends will ask me to bring them there, after they see all my photos of the dish

That place I visit religiously, I consider it, my weekly food pilgrimage.
wah at night piang piang piang live firing can fire until morning..:s13:

Last edited by a moderator:

Aaagogo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
WoO HoO!

Meldrum Walk Hawkers, Chinese side only, back in operation as of today 6th Jan 2018

Since they are open, I was there for the World's Best Oyster Omelette destroyed 2 small servings add oysters

xf89l5.jpg

1zck9sj.jpg

33xj60j.jpg

Muslim side is preparing to open up. Sup Kambing Encik said 9th or 10th, he will be back in his usual location.

oarc5i.jpg

2rn8ta8.jpg

ddp5d1.jpg

Tparku

Reaction score
hi all,

anyone know where to get good food near jb city square at night? there used to be a lot of hawker stalls inside the back alleys of the shophouses next to the mall ... now no more :s11:

market98

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi all,

anyone know where to get good food near jb city square at night? there used to be a lot of hawker stalls inside the back alleys of the shophouses next to the mall ... now no more :s11:
They open around 4pm plus plus plus

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.