[Review] ASRock Z370 Fatal1ty Gaming ITX/ac

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all, thanks for stopping by. :s34:

I'd just like to share my personal take and review on this ITX board I've hooted awhile ago. Will try not to write up a wall of text, but here goes :s13:! Around October time frame, I was looking at a couple of Coffee Lake ITX boards and this model caught my eye ASRock Z370 Fatal1ty Gaming-ITX/ac, though not at first glance. I managed to place a special order with the distro, tech dynamic (was not available in sg at launch) and received it on the final week of Nov '17. It carries a SRP of ~$319 (As at Nov '17), available at Dynacore/Bizgram as of late.

Shame that a number of shops out there aren't keeping that many skus and that ITXes are taken as the red headed stepchild.

The product page
https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITXac/index.us.asp#Overview

uLOVEOk.jpg

This board fully paid-up by myself, thoughts and comments on the product are indepedent views of my own. I've also not contacted TD that I'll be doing such a writeup either, so consider this a lengthy "SIC" of what I've found to be a very good board with a reasonable price tag.

You can find a full review of this ITX board on Tweaktown. https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8...0-gaming-itx-ac-motherboard-review/index.html

But I'll leave my closing thoughts on this board upfront in case you're interested on what's up with this ITX board without the full breakdown.

Closing thoughts
https://deluxeforums.hardwarezone.com.sg/112461581-post6.html

Last edited:

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
While my writeup over here will be tailored towards testing the board's features & some synthetic bench numbers after a likely overclock of ~5GHz. Out of good measure, I've added pre/post meltdown/spectre security patch numbers for your persual at the relevant sections. This is not a Coffee Lake CPU benchmark so you'll find just a few of those (if any at all). You can expect short writeups relating to the features and abit of practical usage.

Test Setup
  • Intel Core i7-8700K (Delidded)
  • Core/Cache: 5000MHz/4700MHz, RAM: XMP_3200 C14 (Except OC Section)
  • ASRock Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac
  • 2X G.SKILL TridentZ Black/White 3200MHz-CL14
  • https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14d-16gtzkw
  • GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition 11GB
  • Storage (NVMe): Samsung SSD 960 PRO 2TB
  • Storage (SATA): Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512GB
  • EVGA G3 750W
  • Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Related Drivers
VGmxK99.png

Unboxing
4S3Kwxb.jpg

o4vEPjq.jpg

• Box Contents
  • 2x SATA Cable
  • WiFi/BT Antenna
  • M.2 Screw
  • IO Sheild

Board layout walkthrough
As per asrock manual
h8eIPPz.jpg

Circuit Analysis
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8...-gaming-itx-ac-motherboard-review/index3.html

Actual Pics
YBBU9mT.jpg

B8Z9cwU.jpg

Last edited:

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
BIOS gallery
Help yourself to the gallery here https://imgur.com/a/CoDl3.
It's jumbled up by imgur unfortunately.

POST Times
This result is attained with a dGPU, RAMs at 4000MHz C16-1T (see mem OC section).
  • At a POST time of cold boot/reboot at 8.3 / 5.0 seconds respectively.
  • That's phenomenal considering there are no additional associated with memory training at aggressive RAM overclocks, its a completely different experience with my previous board.
  • Also worth mentioning, no memory training drifts on cold vs. reboot.
nzFHcOF.png

Wireless Connectivity - Intel AC-8265 867Mbps Wireless Bluetooth / WiFi
Speedtest.net throughput
  • looks normal with some overhead (433+433Mbps up/down).
  • DPC latency with the driver are quite surprisingly low even at maxed throughput compared to my last Qualcomm Atheros QCA61X4A 867Mbps chipset.
LatencyMon screenshot records the DPC latency over a ~1Hour GTAV. It displays only the weakest link (worst spike in that time span).
Typical levels of NVidia driver DPC latency aside (not related to motherboard), worst readout for the networking part is 0.593miliseconds on WiFi! Which is very reasonable considering I'm using the full frequency range and SpeedShift Power Management, balanced power plan (800MHz - 5200MHz as I recorded this)! Can be lower with no power management.
Note: See post 6 for recommended power management disablement tweak to prevent WiFi bandwidth throttling
9PrMkNk.png

DUO7yeB.png

Note: Unless you're looking for DPC latency issues related to a specific app or driver, it should be ran for an extended period with system load (e.g. 20m, 30m, 1hr) for a more accurate gauge of potential DPC/ISR issues on a particular setup. A short measurement for just a couple of minutes at computer idle will always give you low readouts that may not be representative of actual use.

Resplendence LatencyMon is geared towards "Weakest Link" or worst case readouts during the time span.

Other DPC latency checkers like those of Thesycon has chart readouts over the time span.

Last edited:

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Connecting to LG TV via Windows 10 Settings - Miracast
It works, 1080p@30Hz. All display projection options available (extend, mirror etc)
evcgyHg.png

0F2Ch2g.png

qqJbp2Z.png
Running an Xbox Wireless Controller
It works, no dropouts/disconnections. Inputs register consistently. It can pair with your BT speaker & other BT accessories as well.
XDwnyZB.png

Type C Port (Thunderbolt 3 2x PCIe 3.0)
[To be added]

-LAN: I don't use it so...

Storage
Note: This is the UWP version of CrystalDiskMark on Windows Store, runs different default benchmarks than the old installer.
SATA: Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD
NVMe: Samsung 960 PRO 2TB SSD
EB7TKGH.png
Pre numbers look about right, considering its close to the DMI 3.0 hard limit of ~3.5GB/s, less overheads and other IO parked under this umbrella.
(normally sound, ethernet, audio, USB controllers share these resources)
For those who are unaware about DMI link in relation to NVMe. It is the PCIe 3.0 x4 based link between the CPU and PCH that also houses the data traffic from your NVMe SSD.
https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Stora...logy-Tested-PCIe-and-SATA-RAID/PCIe-RAID-Resu

Post patch numbers suffer a brutal haircut with both SATA and NVMe SSDs on 4K random IO regardless of low or high queue depth.
This can most probably be replicated on other systems on this platform.
I haven't felt a perceptible difference, but it ultimately depends on how IO intensive your workloads are but its there.

Last edited:

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Key Overclocking Voltage/Setting Maximum values in BIOS (as of P1.40 to P1.90 BIOS version)
Note: Absolute maximums allowable are not definitively your safety margins. Some are, some are not.
  • Short Duration Power Limit: 200W Max
  • Long Duration Power Limit: 200W Max
  • Current Limit: 255.50A Max (Platform Max)
  • Core Voltage: Unlimited
  • VccIO: 1.2V Max
  • VccSA: 1.35V Max
  • VDIMM / VDDR: 1.5V Max

CPU Overclocking
Just quick numbers, these are in my daily "stable" presets. They pass Handbrake AVX2 transcoding and OCCT.
Bb2Iiup.jpg
  • Power Limit maxes at 200W (Platform limit 4095W aka unlimited) which is not a number you can saturate under gaming loads but AVX2 Handbrake transcoding you'll be close near 1.4V...
  • This board sports some very potent hardware in the area of power delivery and doesn't even get hot at 200W.
    (5+2 true 60A intersil powerstages, 12K Nichicon caps)
  • Some of competing boards on the other hand are known to VRM throttle at the FET package limits giving those boards an effective hard limit of ~150W at high temperatures that severely hampers overclocking.
  • All things considered, it is still ahead of the Z370 ITX pack. Since the other boards aren't close in power capabilities its sad that there's probably no incentive for ASRock to uncork some of the BIOS hard limits they've set

Memory Overclocking
This board deserves a whole LOT of praise on its mem OC capability. Firstly, the board takes cold booting on high speed memory (4000MHz+) like a piece of cake if your CPU specimen is up to scratch (sample's IMC capability).
  • NO cold boot training drift shenanigans
  • NO extended POST times from memory training sequences, failed POST or multiple retry.
I managed to obtain a google stressapptest stable memory OC at 4000MHz 16-17-17-18 with 1T Command Rate (VCCIO/SA at 1.02V/1.1V - silicon lottery dependent). No errors on 5 hour run stress testing the memory bus. Read/Write/Copy benchmarks do scale on AIDA64's mem/cache benchmark.
eZJQKEx.jpg

I've since ran it on 4133MHz C17-18-18-38-1T, passes GSAT as well but ran 2 hours due to time constraints. This time with IO: 1.05V, SA 1.1V in BIOS. Again, thumbs up for good memory trace routing on this board that showed up in tangible mem frequency numbers.
F9MLzQl.jpg

Last edited:

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The good
General
  • USB C (2 lane thunderbolt) Power Delivery Charging up to 36W, works with PD charging laptops, phones, tablets.
  • Consistent Wireless AC 8260 2x2 MIMO NIC, decent gain at 5GHz even at 10 meters from router with some obstruction.
  • AC 8260 NIC paired very well with Xbox one wireless controller, as well as Wireless Display projection (Miracast) at 1080p 30Hz on a basic 4k smart tv with miracast.
  • 6 SATA Ports on ITX (2 will be disabled if M.2 2280 slot is running a M.2 SATA SSD)
  • 3 Fan headers - anything above 2 on ITX is good..
  • Phenomenal POST times even with heavy memory overclocks and discrete GPU (5 sec warm, 8.3 sec cold boot)
  • No DPC latency issues

Overclocking
  • The Z370 ITX with the highest power limit with 5 true 60a phases on the core, 2 more on the iGPU.
  • BIOS power limit is capped at 200W with comfortable VRM temperatures
  • Heat output under heavy load on back side of mobo/VRMs doesn't burn the rear cable management chamber and tightly routed cables of a case like the Fractal Design Nano S at all with no airflow at this region.
    (attainable in real world without package limit or temp throttling).
  • Does memory training well at high memory speeds from cold boot, obtained 4133MHz C17-18-18-38-1T Google StressAppTest stable on a somewhat average Samsung-B SS memory kit. Board is spec'd for "4300+" 2 DIMMs.
  • 4000MHz CL16-17 is not a wild target as long as your CPU lottery is decent with a pair of ss Samsung-B IC based RAM kit
  • P/C state overclocking with SpeedShift enabled works without issues.

Closing comments
For SFF fans, this board takes about anything within the BIOS limits you throw at it no problem. It just ticks like a clock even on aggressive overclocks without any growing pains or serious kneecapping. VRMs are comparable to those you get on top mid range ATX board at a fraction of the footprint. Good NIC, has a 2 lane thunderbolt 3.0 through usb c. There's a CMOS reset button. but would be nice if there's a panel for POST codes or debug LEDs alternatively. BIOS settings are abit limiting for heavy overclockers, but will protect the average user from blowing up their hardware.
  • VDIMM capped at 1.5V, adjustments at 50mV increments
  • IMC (VCCIO/VCCSA) at 1.2V/1.35V respectively, adjustments at 10mV & 50mV increments respectively.
  • 200W short/long duration power limit
Well priced for the features it offer. The only gripe though, of the 3 fan headers only CPU_OPT is capable of PWM+DC mode. CHA_Fan and CPU_Fan are PWM control only so DC fan users take note... hopefully this can be worked on for future ITXs from ASRock. Decent price for the features at SRP ~S$319, currently the only ITX that will give you sustained 200W on the cores. So far its working well for me. :)

Last edited:

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ASRock Z370 Fatal1ty Gaming-ITX/ac Resources
  • Recommended BIOS With spectre patch: P1.90
    (Fully working C state OC, improved cold boot memory training on extremely tight memory subs better than P1.40)
  • Recommended BIOS Without spectre patch: P1.40
    (Fully working and stable C state OC)
  • General (Drivers) - here
  • Full BIOS repository including betas - here (ctrl+f to find "Z370 Gaming-ITXac")
  • Soundblaster Cinema 5 Audio Suite - It might work, haven't found a download from ASRock

ASRock Windows 7 Patcher for USB install (xHCI driver compatibility patcher tool)

"How to" section

1. Prevent WiFi bandwidth throttling on Intel AC8260
With the AC8260 default settings, there may be brief occassions its throughput tanks to <100Mbps.

• Search for device "Device Manager" via start menu > head to the Intel AC-8260> advanced
  • Reduce "Roaming aggressiveness" to medium or medium-low for the wireless AP scanning will help with consistency.
  • Disable MIMO PowerSave Mode > No SMPS

The Intel AC 8260 default settings are mostly tuned for maximum power savings than raw performance since it is designed mainly to fit laptops so this tweaks will be very beneficial.
qetqXCn.png

2. BIOS settings for using P/C States (even while overclocked)
(dynamic frequency and voltages depending on load)

P/C state overclocking with dynamic frequency and voltage scaling works very well with "offset" and "auto" voltage modes.
It works perfectly regardless of set multiplier behaviour ("Per core", "Specific per core" and "All core"). Is there an incentive to enabling speedshift? Well most probably. The frequency transitions are very quick relative to Speed Step (EIST).
1-7.png

Based on testing through actual use, I'm recommending the following baseline power management settings required for SpeedShift to work even under overclocked conditions. By doing so, you're able to relegate the full use of power management to the OS through the Balanced and High Performance power plans. You can expect CPU package power draw as low as ~5W when used in conjunctioned with Balanced.

OC Tweaker\CPU Configuration
â—Ź Intel SpeedStep Technology: Enabled (This is a mandatory flag for Speed Shift (HWP) to work on ASRock Z370)
â—Ź Intel SpeedShift Technology: Enabled

Advanced\CPU Configuration
â—Ź CPU C States Support: Enabled
â—Ź Enhanced Halt State (C1E): Auto/Enabled
â—Ź CPU C3 State Support: Auto/Enabled
â—Ź CPU C6 State Support: Auto/Enabled
â—Ź (Optional) CPU C7 State Support: Auto/Enabled
â—Ź (Optional) Package C State Support: Enabled

However if you're experiencing OC stability issues, you may consider disabling deeper C States that selectively shut off more processor logic under low usage (C7 and Package C States). If it doesn't help, you may consider disabling C6 or power management overall. Do keep in mind that power management typically ranks last on the list of "to-do's" while ascertaining OC stability.

ueDX7bA.png

Last edited:

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Good effort! I'm using a z170 asrock itx fatality myself

Bought two stick antenna to replace the square antenna provided by asrock

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, I think this review is a one off piece though :s13:. The primary motivation for putting out this piece is simply to raise some awareness of some lesser-known SFF boards available locally.

Especially around 2017 time frame onwards with AMD Ryzen and Intel Kabylake launch, it is quite clear that board vendors in general have kept minimal focus on ITX boards. Most notably, mATXes and ITXes with good power delivery designs are disappearing in favour of adding just RGB onto what appears to be mediocre or regular boards while the decent ones stay within the ATX circle. If RGB has to stay, decent hardware shouldn't be the trade-off! :crazy:

Vendors like ASUS that used to make decent mATXes like the Maximus Gene and Impact series have abandoned the line. It's good to see ASRock pushing SFF limits with their coming X299/X399 mATX OC Formula brand when everyone else isn't doing it.

While the review isn't going to do a lot, I'm hopeful its going to maintain some degree of interest in SFF systems over here :crazy:.
Hopefully local distributors & resellers don't see SFF boards as niche with slow turnaround and aren't worth carrying.

lee-turbo

Master Member
Reaction score
nice +1
am considering asus or this board
with 8700k
replacement for 4770k with asus maximus impact

asus mb just uplorry

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Find the only Z370 ITX that would do high ambient cooling volts and the associated amount of power draw in the sea of ATXes around. :s34:
FDZs94x.png

http://hwbot.org/benchmark/xtu/rankings?cores=6#start=20#interval=20
Note: Good chips are a must for the score too!
Unfortunately, this requires uncorking power limits (200W) atop of the ASRock BIOS imposed caps via XTU .

Hopefully can add some basic Google Pixel 2 10-100% charge time numbers in these few weeks if possible.

Also added some useful references. Somehow the thread has been referenced by AlphaC on the Z370 / Z390 VRM Discussion Thread on OCN, he co-authored with br0da from hardwareluxx..

Last edited:

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Google stressapptest 1H 4400MHz CL18-19-19-39-2T passed (ram kit limited) ! Some serious mileage out of a ~$300 board!

bOpn5d5.jpg

bYFH2ck.png

X43sTx3.png

Observations: Memory training from cold is still proper, subtimings correctly locked upon post still. But at these frequencies you most probably have hit a scaling wall
on a regular CPU/RAM specimen or both. For attempting these frequencies, you may begin with POSTing tests and looking out for POSTing oddities (subtimings not locked in, freezes etc) under the DRAM section of the BIOS.

Primary timings of XMP-4xxx presets (e.g. on g.skill kits), subs on auto might be a good start before tightening progressively. SA/IO at will probably start with max "known safe" levels before dropping these voltages. If it doesnt POST or train correctly you might have hit DRAM/CPU memory controller limits..

hlots123

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wah, awesome! :love:
and u got new 4266 sticks?! :eek:

btw can asrock mb do "export settings to txt file" also?

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Uh yes :s34: but no asrock doesn't have profile saves in .txt for easier sharing :(, only the regular config files you can export.

hlots123

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oic... after bios flash when i re-enter settings in bios, i need to open the txt file on my mobile for reference :o
for me txt easier than screenshots when too many changed settings...

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
One of these are "new" things that happened with the march BIOS update for ASRock Z370. Able to tell which one's here since sandybridge and for the other since coffeelake? (but only 1 board vendor has integrated this platform feature and poor adoption are making people think its a feature rebrand) :s34:

d4b03fb4_8-52.gif

ayr1il7.gif

Hint 1
Hint 2

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.