Immigration and Passports in Europe

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm planning for my graduation trip and graduation ceremony in July. I am also thinking to 孙变 tour Europe. But I've a few questions on the immigration part.

Do we need to get passports stamped or go through immigration when crossing over from France>Switzerland, UK>France ?

bluetwinkle

Reaction score
I'm planning for my graduation trip and graduation ceremony in July. I am also thinking to 孙变 tour Europe. But I've a few questions on the immigration part.

Do we need to get passports stamped or go through immigration when crossing over from France>Switzerland, UK>France ?
France to Switzerland, I am not sure but UK to France by Eurostar needs to go through immigration to stamp passport and tax refund service is not available as both are still part of EU.

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
France to Switzerland, I am not sure but UK to France by Eurostar needs to go through immigration to stamp passport and tax refund service is not available as both are still part of EU.

Thanks. What you mean is tax refunds not available in EU?
Have you tried before Eurostar from London to Paris?

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Both trips require immigration clearance and passports will be stamped.

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Both trips require immigration clearance and passports will be stamped.

So it means if we go from UK>France>Switzerland.
we will still need to go through passport immigration and get it stamped?

ApeTruelove

Master Member
Reaction score
Travel around Schengen Area no boarder control. But if go to UK you will need to get stamp again as UK not part of Schengen area even though is under EU.

So if you want to travel you can visit Switzerland first then go France and last UK.

Last edited:

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

FR > CH, no. At most only show passport onboard the train if border police request.

UK > FR, yes. Normal immigration process like go in JB.

reason: as stated by post above, Schengen area

bluetwinkle

Reaction score
Thanks. What you mean is tax refunds not available in EU?
Have you tried before Eurostar from London to Paris?
I assume you are asking the question for tax refund purpose since most will just show their passports and have them stamped by immigration whenever required.

You cannot claim tax refund for purchase in UK when heading to Paris. You can only claim tax refunds for all your purchases when you departing from your final destination within the EU.

And yes, I have taken Eurostar from Paris to London and Londom to Paris before.

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I assume you are asking the question for tax refund purpose since most will just show their passports and have them stamped by immigration whenever required.

You cannot claim tax refund for purchase in UK when heading to Paris. You can only claim tax refunds for all your purchases when you departing from your final destination within the EU.

And yes, I have taken Eurostar from Paris to London and Londom to Paris before.

Nope, i'm referring to immigration part. Getting passport stamped..

So lets say i start in UK (England+Scotland), i travel to France, I'll get France stamp. Then if i travel to Switzerland, Italy, Germany, i won't need any stamps or go through any immigration ?

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nope, i'm referring to immigration part. Getting passport stamped..

So lets say i start in UK (England+Scotland), i travel to France, I'll get France stamp. Then if i travel to Switzerland, Italy, Germany, i won't need any stamps or go through any immigration ?

:vijayadmin::vijayadmin::vijayadmin:

Travel around Schengen Area no boarder control. But if go to UK you will need to get stamp again as UK not part of Schengen area even though is under EU.

FR > CH, no. At most only show passport onboard the train if border police request.

UK > FR, yes. Normal immigration process like go in JB.

reason: as stated by post above, Schengen area

Singaporeans do not require a visa to enter the Schengen area.

- https://eeas.europa.eu/delegations/singapore/2372/travel-eu-singapore_en

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Alright. Thanks. So in that case, if i come from London and leave from Switzerland, i'll be having 2 chops? (entry UK, Exit UK and exit Zurich) ?

You go thru immigration but you wont get an exit stamp from the uk (google for customs and border control/passport control). Australia and the US dont give exit stamps.

Last edited:

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Know the difference between Schengen and EU.

Schengen is for immigration control while EU is for customs.

Switzerland is in the Schengen. Schengen to Schengen no need for exit stamp until you leave the last Schengen stop. UK is not in the Schengen are so you get an entry stamp each time you enter. You wont get an exit stamp for the UK. Apparently Zurich airport dont give an entry stamp either (to be verified).

Border controls may not be at the departure but at the arrivals. That's why you dont get an exit stamp. Eurostar services are subjected to Juxtaposed border controls.

Last edited:

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Alright. Thanks. So in that case, if i come from London and leave from Switzerland, i'll be having 2 chops? (entry UK, Exit UK and exit Zurich) ?

If this is your journey - SG > UK, UK > CH, CH > SG - then 3.

UK entry, CH entry, CH exit. Not sure about ZRH not giving entry stamp as stated by dilphinus (flights landing at ZRH regional terminals don't have border control), but UK indeed does not give exit stamp.

Last edited:

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks people. In 2014, i went Switzerland only and got 2 stamps from them, not sure if it's changed for them

noslek

Reaction score
Know the difference between Schengen and EU.

Schengen is for immigration control while EU is for customs.

Switzerland is in the Schengen. Schengen to Schengen no need for exit stamp until you leave the last Schengen stop. UK is not in the Schengen are so you get an entry stamp each time you enter. You wont get an exit stamp for the UK. Apparently Zurich airport dont give an entry stamp either (to be verified).

Border controls may not be at the departure but at the arrivals. That's why you dont get an exit stamp. Eurostar services are subjected to Juxtaposed border controls.

Got ZRH entry and exit stamp when I flew in from SIN, transiting to another Schengen area. Not sure about stamps if you’re to/fro UK though..

Prof Goh

Reaction score

France to Switzerland - no border control. No stamps.

UK to France - border control at UK side, passport will be stamped in the UK. Likewise for France to UK, the UK border control is at France side.

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
France to Switzerland - no border control. No stamps.

UK to France - border control at UK side, passport will be stamped in the UK. Likewise for France to UK, the UK border control is at France side.

Thanks. I've searched on the net and there are tourists who visit Monaco, went to their tourist centre to have their passport "stamped". I want to get those stamped, especially Monaco.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.