PlayStation VR (USD$399 MSRP, available Oct 2016)

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
playstation_move_patents_jan18.png

https://www.vrfocus.com/2018/01/sony-patents-reveal-new-motion-controller-technologies/

Two new patents filed by Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) suggest that a new motion-controller could be on the way, specifically designed to boost the interactive nature of the company’s virtual reality (VR) platform, PlayStation VR. Not only does this potential revision of the existing PlayStation Move controller add an analog stick – a much requested feature of the PlayStation VR community – but also finger tracking technology.

The first patent, filed by SIE in Japan and published earlier this month, shows the addition of an analog stick with several face-mounted buttons placed in the surrounding casing, as well as a trigger lying underneath. A handstrap sits alongside the controller opposed to being attached at the bottom as with existing PlayStation Move controllers.

A second patent which was filed in 2017 offers details on potential finger placement tracking, similar to Valve’s prototype Knuckles controllers. Important to note here is that this patent makes specific reference to the controller being tracked by the head-mounted display (HMD) opposed to an external camera, suggesting that a new HMD could include cameras for tracking of the controllers and thus potentially alleviating tracking issues with the current PlayStation Move controllers when they are occluded from the PlayStation Camera.

Charles_Chi4

Reaction score
I bought the psvr2 and tried GT sport in VR mode. The graphic is really like ps2 level. Any way to tweak the graphic? I use ps4 pro.

IndigoEyes

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Will PSVR have VRChat in future?
I saw some vids and it looks very cool. It reminded me of those Habbo chatroom game in the past but VR version.

xboxlife

Reaction score
how's everyone's PSVR lens
it seems to get scratched easily?

I bought this and solve the problem
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N2XJAM0/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518849356&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=psvr+screen+protector&dpPl=1&dpID=41bao8i6S-L&ref=plSrch

qwertified

Reaction score
I bought the psvr2 and tried GT sport in VR mode. The graphic is really like ps2 level. Any way to tweak the graphic? I use ps4 pro.

Its like that.. ps vr resolution is 1080x960 per eye, combined together you get 1920x1080. Plus sony insisted ps vr games to be all running at 60fps, so graphics quality sure toned down somemore. Cannot simply compare to what you see on your 4k tv.

Its just hardware limitation, even htc vive running on more powerful pc rig, graphics also underwhelming. There're 4k/8k vr headsets being developed now tho, we'll probably get that with the PS5.

-EnZo-

Master Member
Reaction score
I got these but seems like there's a limit :/

do we have the V2.0 in local stores?

Got my v2 for $365. No gt game only head set. Camera n demo disc. V1 carousell some selling cheap for whole set if you don't mind 2nd hand.

2months back someone tried to sell me v2 bundle for 650. Heng I nv buy

Last edited:

rokugo

Reaction score

rokugo

Reaction score
Its like that.. ps vr resolution is 1080x960 per eye, combined together you get 1920x1080. Plus sony insisted ps vr games to be all running at 60fps, so graphics quality sure toned down somemore. Cannot simply compare to what you see on your 4k tv.

Its just hardware limitation, even htc vive running on more powerful pc rig, graphics also underwhelming. There're 4k/8k vr headsets being developed now tho, we'll probably get that with the PS5.

It's not because Sony insisted, it's actually the standard requirement for all VR headsets. And its not 60 but 90FPS at all times.
VR framerate going below 90FPS will lead to stuttering & lag, and will cause nausea/motion sickness.

BTW all those new so-called "8K" VR headsets are actually 4K resolution upscaled, since there's no GPU card that can handle native 8K at constant 90FPS.

Charles_Chi4

Reaction score

Understand your point. My expectation was the quality will be ps3 level. Actually I'm using 1080p tv. I like the feeling of psvr, the inside of the car in gt sports vr also okay. The problem is the graphic outside the car, it's like 1990s level, too downgraded. I thought by using ps4 pro, the quality will be better than normal ps4. May be the tech has not reached there yet haha.

lordlad0

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the reason is because VR needs all games to be at least 60fps (and interpolated to 90fps and even 120fps) to negate motion sickness...so most of the system power are reserved to sustain high frame rate...thus graphic fidelity will need to take a back seat..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.