Asus VivoBook S510UN sudden performance drop

VanquishShadow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hm so far i have not encountered the random auto shut down problem.

but after a few days of being able to run at 100% CPU util, this evening I did 3 things:
1) install Chrome
2) sync my OneDrive
3) plug in a USB transceiver for wireless mouse

and now the system is stuck at up to 22% CPU util again. what on earth..

james112

Reaction score
hm so far i have not encountered the random auto shut down problem.

but after a few days of being able to run at 100% CPU util, this evening I did 3 things:
1) install Chrome
2) sync my OneDrive
3) plug in a USB transceiver for wireless mouse

and now the system is stuck at up to 22% CPU util again. what on earth..

Guess mine is due to the patch too
http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech...-patch-causing-computers-reboot-spontaneously

Anyway I will be getting back my laptop next Mon. let's see how

VanquishShadow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so it doesn't seem like the issue is "fixed" by a restart/reboot, because I've been looking at Resource Monitor while doing various tasks today, and there are periods it is stuck at 21% Maximum Frequency while other times it performs as per normal (170~180%), but there is no clear correlation with the programmes that I am running

james112

Reaction score
so it doesn't seem like the issue is "fixed" by a restart/reboot, because I've been looking at Resource Monitor while doing various tasks today, and there are periods it is stuck at 21% Maximum Frequency while other times it performs as per normal (170~180%), but there is no clear correlation with the programmes that I am running

I got my laptop back ad.
Tested with CPU benchmark, looks fine. performance looks fine.
but I now have problem with battery, where i can't open the laptop without ac charger...gotta ask them fix again...

VanquishShadow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hope yours turns out okay!

I just sent mine in last week, and they notified me via email today:
"Due to part shortage from the service centre, We request the part from the HQ Logistics.

The ETA of the replacement will arrive on the 20TH February 2018 or earlier."

Guess there was some hardware malfunction

PholkLorr

Reaction score
Wow luckily I saw this thread. Was interested in getting a s410un. Can u run gpuz and see what's the mx150 clock speed? Was considering the light weight laptops (1-1.4kg) like ux430un, lenovo 320s, hp envy 13 and xiaomi air 13 but all of them have nerfed mx150s running at base 937mhz and can't boost much (only goes to 1.1k) and throttles early and often.

Swift 3 was the best bet since reviews say it uses the full power of the mx150 but it's 1.7kg.

Extremme

Master Member
Reaction score
Wow luckily I saw this thread. Was interested in getting a s410un. Can u run gpuz and see what's the mx150 clock speed? Was considering the light weight laptops (1-1.4kg) like ux430un, lenovo 320s, hp envy 13 and xiaomi air 13 but all of them have nerfed mx150s running at base 937mhz and can't boost much (only goes to 1.1k) and throttles early and often.

Swift 3 was the best bet since reviews say it uses the full power of the mx150 but it's 1.7kg.

Yeah me too abt to get the S410-UN from qoo10’. Is this an isolated case for your laptop or it’s widespread across these few models?

VanquishShadow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hm mine is s510un, there is a review here https://www.ultrabookreview.com/16539-asus-vivobook-s510/
I can't do any tests until I get my laptop back from Asus service centre

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So what seems to be the issue causing the lag?
Does it only affect S510UN? And how did Asus eventually decide to cover it under warranty for repair?

james112

Reaction score
hope yours turns out okay!

I just sent mine in last week, and they notified me via email today:
"Due to part shortage from the service centre, We request the part from the HQ Logistics.

The ETA of the replacement will arrive on the 20TH February 2018 or earlier."

Guess there was some hardware malfunction

I got mine back, my battery was broken down and replaced.
Everything works well now.

VanquishShadow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i collected mine today. apparently it was a motherboard problem and they replaced the motherboard. so far so good. pity it took so much of my time and energy trying to resolve it from a software angle

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i collected mine today. apparently it was a motherboard problem and they replaced the motherboard. so far so good. pity it took so much of my time and energy trying to resolve it from a software angle

Then this could be a bad batch. I noticed a few people here having the same issue. Hope this is isolated to one batch only.

ckh98258

Reaction score
I'm quite keen in getting S510UN as well so went down to Challenger to check out the laptop since so many reviews mentioned the speaker volume is rather soft. True enough from the demo unit the S410UN sounds at least 30% louder than S510UN. Pretty disappointed to hear that from a bigger laptop with weaker speakers.

vitaminc1231

Master Member
Reaction score
Am keen with the S510 too. So question to the current owners, with the issues reported, still good to proceed with this laptop? The other option I have is Dell but this seems better at the moment.

panggou

Reaction score
I am using a S510UN, been more than a week no issues so far.
Note: I noticed after patching windows everything “feels” faster etc.

VanquishShadow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Am keen with the S510 too. So question to the current owners, with the issues reported, still good to proceed with this laptop? The other option I have is Dell but this seems better at the moment.

The fan is a bit noisy, but I come from a Asus UX31A that's almost silent for most of the time.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.