Rental car booking : online vs counter?

michaelkie

Reaction score
sydney to melbourne by car

Hi guys, anyone tried renting Bayswater Car Rental from Sydney and return it in Melbourne? There isn't Melbourne locations from the list but they allow to drive to Victoria at addtional A$100.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not sure about bayswater, then where do you return your car?

Why not go with the big 4 rental co..

michaelkie

Reaction score
Not sure about bayswater, then where do you return your car?

Why not go with the big 4 rental co..

Thanks bro.
Emailed to Bayswater and got a reply from them, they do not have return location in Melbourne.
Guess I'll have to go with the big names.
Cheers!

seianko

Suspended
Reaction score
if wanna cross states, always take the 4 big rental co.

hertz thrifty avis europa

if u wan small cars, it is usually toyota from hertz

my budget is not bad also. but their fine prints and CSO can make u very pek chek

lsm_83

Reaction score
I used economycarrentals. Pretty good deal! Remember to choose those with booths in the airport. The excess there is VERY VERY high. ANd super expensive to go with their FULL cover. Bought a third party coverage for the excess

Hi can i check where or how do i buy the third party coverage for the excess?

xSieghartx

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm looking on expedia now, and it seems like Thrifty is the cheapest among the big 4, even cheaper than Enterprise which I was gonna rent from initially. Does anyone have any positive or negative experiences with them?

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
I'm looking on expedia now, and it seems like Thrifty is the cheapest among the big 4, even cheaper than Enterprise which I was gonna rent from initially. Does anyone have any positive or negative experiences with them?

It really depends on the branch. The one I frequent is very good but I'm a regular there. Have you tried checking directly with their own website? The promotions are listed on the website, and can result in savings that something like expedia doesn't offer.

xSieghartx

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It really depends on the branch. The one I frequent is very good but I'm a regular there. Have you tried checking directly with their own website? The promotions are listed on the website, and can result in savings that something like expedia doesn't offer.
The price on their website is higher than the one quoted on Expedia, maybe the few cheap options given to me is from their old fleet? I've gone ahead with Enterprise instead and will be taking up Tripcover like you guys recommended. Thanks for the help!

seianko

Suspended
Reaction score
do not rent from 3rd parties such as expedia and so on.

1) if u hv to claim, is defo a bitch.
2) it is no where cheaper than renting direct unless u have vouchers from expedia (or similar)
3) Note that u can earn flyer miles from car rental companies. always ask.

oooDen

Reaction score
hi any reviews on rental co - apex or budget at the melbourne airport?
Is it a must for a GPS or Waze/Google Map will be good for driving in melbourne and GOR?

Last edited:

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
G.maps or waze should be sufficient.. the tourist routes are well-signed..

sg2303

Reaction score
From what i see on apex website, they dont have after hours return there. Any one did it before?

I did a few years back in Brisbane with apex.

Drove to the office and office was closed. I called them and they said just leave the car there and drop the keys in a box.

That’s all.

No funny charges there after.

oooDen

Reaction score
G.maps or waze should be sufficient.. the tourist routes are well-signed..

thanks for the reply beano,so does this means rental of the GPS from the rental company is not a need??

Any review for Budget or Apex in melbourne airport?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.