US help.

nomoreliaola

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just shopping and just key touristy places?
stick with Northeast cost then.
NYC to shop and the usual touristy place.
Niagara Falls to see some water and visit wineries which produce ice wines.
Old Quebec city, Montreal in Canada - get a feel of "France"
Boston to check the usual touristy places, buy some Harvard stuff.
Philly another usual touristy place to see the sites U seen in the National Treasure or Rocky Movie.
waterbury, VT - stay in a cabin to get romantic and visit Ben & Jerry VIP tour (Wed only 2-3 person).
DC 2 days good enough since U skipping the Museums, just walk around the Mall area. I come across ppl who just cannot tahan Museums and those history stuff 1 day there is ample for them, can blow 7 days in just NYC to shop.
Thanks ! Hmm, how would the sequence of events be given the suggestions and the days I have?

Sent from Google PIXEL 2 using GAGT

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks ! Hmm, how would the sequence of events be given the suggestions and the days I have?

What u wanna do? Cannot really suggest if I know so much.
What is touristy to me may not be touristy to u
Shop just outlet for those stuff or open to new experience you cannot find in Singapore? National park and nature ok? History just no go?

Niagara region maybe 2nd largest producer of American ginseng, in season bulk root can go as low as $30 per pound. It’s also largest producer of ice wine if u into learning wine. Into good food those wineries has great restaurants. Culinary school there gets u a good full course meal cheap.
I been to niagara region like over 5 times.

Last edited:

nomoreliaola

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What u wanna do? Cannot really suggest if I know so much.
What is touristy to me may not be touristy to u
Shop just outlet for those stuff or open to new experience you cannot find in Singapore? National park and nature ok? History just no go?

Niagara region maybe 2nd largest producer of American ginseng, in season bulk root can go as low as $30 per pound. It’s also largest producer of ice wine if u into learning wine. Into good food those wineries has great restaurants. Culinary school there gets u a good full course meal cheap.
I been to niagara region like over 5 times.
Hmm I dun enjoy drinking... I don't mind parks esp if it has water bodies... I think I will go Boston (for Harvard and the lobster, and shopping outlet?), Niagara falls (if not going for wineries, fair to go for day trip?), NY(5days prob), and Miami (prob 3to4days) . Will skip DC. how would I plan this?

nomoreliaola

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Btw, is it dumb or genius or meh to buy a laptop from US? Cos my laptop is spoiling and I intend to buy one. Best is with international warranty. Any one did something like this ?

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm I dun enjoy drinking... I don't mind parks esp if it has water bodies... I think I will go Boston (for Harvard and the lobster, and shopping outlet?), Niagara falls (if not going for wineries, fair to go for day trip?), NY(5days prob), and Miami (prob 3to4days) . Will skip DC. how would I plan this?

dun like to drink doesn't mean cannot view things as a learning experience. keep an open mind.

Acadia national park a very pretty place, not many ppl there. well u may not be the type and love a crowded beach experience.
https://acadiamagic.com/

if it is shopping you can do it in Miami don't have to go NYC.
http://www.simon.com/mall/dadeland-mall/stores
http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet/florida-keys-outlet-marketplace/stores

Orlando nicer outlet compared to Miami and closer to miami
http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet/orlando-international/stores

SIN->NYC
NYC->Buffalo->NYC (leave like 7am to be there like 8am, depart like 3pm) or 6pm. that give U time to see the falls. My parents only took 10mins saw it and is ready to leave. U can do that with just USD$160 pax.

5 nite, get 1 of the days to go woodbury
http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet/woodbury-common/stores

NYC->Boston stay for the nite and leave like 1pm to Miami. just Harvard and lobster roll and a dinner more than enough. at ~USD$160 pax

Miami gives U 4-5 days to enjoy the beach an waters, can even go down to key west for more waters.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Btw, is it dumb or genius or meh to buy a laptop from US? Cos my laptop is spoiling and I intend to buy one. Best is with international warranty. Any one did something like this ?

my in law got 1 from USA years ago, then Sony cost more in japan, her cheapo refurbish one lasted her over 5yrs.

Dell and lenovo will have international warranty, just compare price local vs USA.
USA not VAT refund.

nomoreliaola

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
dun like to drink doesn't mean cannot view things as a learning experience. keep an open mind.

Acadia national park a very pretty place, not many ppl there. well u may not be the type and love a crowded beach experience.
https://acadiamagic.com/

if it is shopping you can do it in Miami don't have to go NYC.
http://www.simon.com/mall/dadeland-mall/stores
http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet/florida-keys-outlet-marketplace/stores

Orlando nicer outlet compared to Miami and closer to miami
http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet/orlando-international/stores

SIN->NYC
NYC->Buffalo->NYC (leave like 7am to be there like 8am, depart like 3pm) or 6pm. that give U time to see the falls. My parents only took 10mins saw it and is ready to leave. U can do that with just USD$160 pax.

5 nite, get 1 of the days to go woodbury
http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet/woodbury-common/stores

NYC->Boston stay for the nite and leave like 1pm to Miami. just Harvard and lobster roll and a dinner more than enough. at ~USD$160 pax

Miami gives U 4-5 days to enjoy the beach an waters, can even go down to key west for more waters.
Thank you ... Dun like drink cos I drink I bit my face get flushed and I feel sleepy and spoil my day .... Encounter it in Napa but wary

Hai, look like falls is really hit and run

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you ... Dun like drink cos I drink I bit my face get flushed and I feel sleepy and spoil my day .... Encounter it in Napa but wary

Hai, look like falls is really hit and run

well wine tasting ppl taste and spit them out.
if u do drink the entire glass at each winery sure it will spoil your day.
same with bourbon tasting in KY. Any Mo take ounces from distillery to distillery.. drunk driving hmm...
Ang Mo drink to get the feeling usually not us Asians.

since u experience napa can skip that and go see. not much diff from watching over youtube or google image or watch TV... or so my parents say..
american-falls-1-1.jpg

eunjae97

Reaction score
Hello,

Planning to go LA for roughly 14days in April.

I'm Singapore PR so need to apply VISA , anyone know how fast I can get the Tourist VISA?

Also, For Data SIM is the Starhub Happy Roam better or getting a SIM from US better?

I'm planning to do this trip as budget as possible, staying in a hostel and preferably travelling around by metro/uber/lyft/walk. Not including accommodation & Flight, would 1.2k USD be enough?

Also, any recommendation on Travel insurance? Looking at AXA Direct SmartTraveller
comprehensive.

Flight I'm looking at United Airlines as its cheaper than most except china airlines now.

Anything else I'm missing? For Disneyland do I really have to go for more than 1 day? I'm not a rollercoaster person, and is the other park worth it to go? I'm only interested in GOTG ride in that park .

Thanks in advance!

Parmesean

Reaction score
Hello,

Planning to go LA for roughly 14days in April.

I'm Singapore PR so need to apply VISA , anyone know how fast I can get the Tourist VISA?

Also, For Data SIM is the Starhub Happy Roam better or getting a SIM from US better?

I'm planning to do this trip as budget as possible, staying in a hostel and preferably travelling around by metro/uber/lyft/walk. Not including accommodation & Flight, would 1.2k USD be enough?

Also, any recommendation on Travel insurance? Looking at AXA Direct SmartTraveller
comprehensive.

Flight I'm looking at United Airlines as its cheaper than most except china airlines now.

Anything else I'm missing? For Disneyland do I really have to go for more than 1 day? I'm not a rollercoaster person, and is the other park worth it to go? I'm only interested in GOTG ride in that park .

Thanks in advance!

If you are a theme park person, then 1 day is not enough, I spend 3 days there, and I still wanted to go for another day....

Walking in Los Angeles is not a good idea, Los Angeles is really spread out, from where I was staying in Downtown Los Angeles, it was a five minute drive to the nearest in n out, 20 min by train, and 40 min walk.

1.2K USD for 14 days, even if you scrimp and save, it would probably be wise to change a little more, and just use your credit cards.

As for your travel visa, it would depend on what country you are from, depending if it is on the list for ESTA.

Normally a tourist visa will take about 3 working days.

eunjae97

Reaction score
If you are a theme park person, then 1 day is not enough, I spend 3 days there, and I still wanted to go for another day....

Walking in Los Angeles is not a good idea, Los Angeles is really spread out, from where I was staying in Downtown Los Angeles, it was a five minute drive to the nearest in n out, 20 min by train, and 40 min walk.

1.2K USD for 14 days, even if you scrimp and save, it would probably be wise to change a little more, and just use your credit cards.

As for your travel visa, it would depend on what country you are from, depending if it is on the list for ESTA.

Normally a tourist visa will take about 3 working days.

Thank you for your reply!

I'm not sure if I'm considered a theme park person haha. Probably get a 2 day hopper .

I'll probably use mostly on cards as that safer? I've seen a few people saying it's recommended to just use card.

I'm holding a malaysian passport.

Parmesean

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply!

I'm not sure if I'm considered a theme park person haha. Probably get a 2 day hopper .

I'll probably use mostly on cards as that safer? I've seen a few people saying it's recommended to just use card.

I'm holding a malaysian passport.

Yeah you will need a B1 Visa.

Keep in mind that a 2 day park hopper does not come with a magic morning, letting you go in one hour before the park opens. You should consider buying your tickets with the MaxPass. It is super worth it as it allows you to get fastpasses using your phone, don't need to go to the ride itself to get it, the app will also show when you can get your next fastpass, so it ends up being super worth it.

If you are planning on going to Universal, you should get your tickets online, it will let you go in an hour before opening. I would recommend you get the Universal Express one time pass. I feel it is more worth it than the unlimited. There are only so many rides at Universal Hollywood, and the rides are not that adrenaline pumping, so going on the rides once were enough for me.

wunderluster

Reaction score
Hi all.

I will be landing in SFO then will be spending 14 days in US then depart via LAX in June.

I would like to get some advice on my itinerary.

Some brief information regarding my family:

1) This is our first trip to US.
2) There will be 6 pax, including an infant who will be 10 months old in June.
3) I will be the only driver.

Right now my basic plan is:

4 days in San Francisco
2 days in Yosemite (Should I spend a night here?)
4 days on Pacific Highway roadtrip
4 days in Los Angeles/San Diego

Initially we wanted to also visit Grand Canyon, but it seems too out of the way considering the limited time we have.

I have a few questions:

1) Should I only start renting a car on the 5th day when we set off to Yosemite or start from the very first day? Do I need a car to get around in downtown San Francisco?

2) Considering the pax and I am the only driver, is it recommended to rent a large SUV or other types of vehicle? Any recommended car rental company?

3) For the last leg of my trip, my priority will be outlet shopping and Disneyland/Universal Studios. Should I also go to San Diego as well or should I just stay put in LA?

4) Do I have time for Death Valley or should I even be heading there in June considering the heat?

5) Am i spending too much time in any of the locations? If so any other recommendations on where to go?

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I will be landing in SFO then will be spending 14 days in US then depart via LAX in June.

I would like to get some advice on my itinerary.

Some brief information regarding my family:

1) This is our first trip to US.
2) There will be 6 pax, including an infant who will be 10 months old in June.
3) I will be the only driver.

Right now my basic plan is:

4 days in San Francisco
2 days in Yosemite (Should I spend a night here?)
4 days on Pacific Highway roadtrip
4 days in Los Angeles/San Diego

Initially we wanted to also visit Grand Canyon, but it seems too out of the way considering the limited time we have.

Yeah, save it for a trip back when you have a bit more time to dedicate to Vegas and Utah. If you had more time and a smaller crew, I'd absolutely say you should drive from SF to Yosemite to Vegas, because it's an AMAZING drive, but save it for the next trip.

I have a few questions:

1) Should I only start renting a car on the 5th day when we set off to Yosemite or start from the very first day? Do I need a car to get around in downtown San Francisco?

2) Considering the pax and I am the only driver, is it recommended to rent a large SUV or other types of vehicle? Any recommended car rental company?

3) For the last leg of my trip, my priority will be outlet shopping and Disneyland/Universal Studios. Should I also go to San Diego as well or should I just stay put in LA?

4) Do I have time for Death Valley or should I even be heading there in June considering the heat?

5) Am i spending too much time in any of the locations? If so any other recommendations on where to go?

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

One thing to note is that Highway 1, the famous highway that runs along the Pacific Coast, is still closed due to last winter's gargantuan mudslides. If you want to drive from north to south, you'll need to take highway 101, which is not quite as nice but still pretty darn good. (Don't take Interstate 5, which is fast but famously boring and awful.)

1) Oh god no, don't rent a car in San Francisco, you'll hate yourself for it. Driving in SF sucks, and parking is horrifically expensive.
2) Yes, for six people plus luggage you're going to need an SUV. I personally like Hertz and Avis.
3) I wouldn't bother. San Diego's a bit of a schlep.
4) As much as I love Death Valley: a) I don't think you have time, and b) yeah, DVNP in summer is going to be hot as balls. It's much nicer in the winter and early spring.
5) Mmm... I'm a little biased here, but I don't like LA that much! And you might have a little bit too long on the road trip - it doesn't take that long to get from SF to LA. I'd do something like:

• 4 nights SF
  • Drive to Yosemite, do one night in or near Yosemite
  • Drive back to the coast; do one night in Monterey or Salinas, maybe even two nights
  • Head down the 101; stop in at Pinnacles National Park; do one night in Atascadero if you like wine, or Pismo Beach if you like the beach
  • Keep going down the 101. Stop in Ventura for a night, and do a day trip to the Channel Islands!
  • Steel yourself and drive into LA. Traffic in LA is disastrous, and LA is huge, so you'll want to split your time between the west side (where Universal Studios and the beach are) and the east side (where Disneyland and the outlet malls are).
  • Spend two nights on the west side: stay in West Hollywood if you can, because that's closest to Universal; Santa Monica is a bit further away but it's OK too.
  • Drive over to Anaheim, where Disneyland is; spend two nights there.

And that gives you a night left over to add in somewhere! A second night in Monterey would be nice, or an extra night on the west side of LA.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

mlam84

Reaction score

Apply online and book appointment. On your appointment day, the officer will interview and ask a few questions. If approved, will receive the passport couriered to you after 3 working days.

mlam84

Reaction score
How bad is LA traffic on Sat? Asking because I will need to catch a Southwest flight at 9:35am. We will be driving from Garden Grove area, returning car at LAX before catching the flight.
Btw, has anyone tried Chevy Suburban?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.