Singapore median monthly household income last year was S$9,023

Mr.Canberra

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well, and Singapore is also ranked 6th in being the richest country in the world, and i do see most Singaporeans are rich here. I've nothing to complain about, i lead a pretty decent life with an average income as long you know how to spend and invest wisely.

Less complain, more action :)

Your comment that most Singaporeans are rich is really looking from the top down. It is the same as saying most Hong Kongers are rich because their property prices are even higher than Singapore hahaha. :D

Tell that to the hardworking lower educated and older blue collar workers in Singapore. :s13:

You have nothing to complain about because there are certain segments of this society that you intentionally or unintentionally did not notice. Singapore do not just exclusively made up of 'mostly rich Singaporeans.' :s13:

Last edited:

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Well, and Singapore is also ranked 6th in being the richest country in the world, and i do see most Singaporeans are rich here. I've nothing to complain about, i lead a pretty decent life with an average income as long you know how to spend and invest wisely.

Less complain, more action :)

Cannot look at it purely on how life is now compare to other countries.
Must compare with the past too. See if we are improving or getting worse.

Soul77

Reaction score
It's true that medicine in Guardian, Watson, Unity, cost a bomb here. Just look at the cost of Panadol. Even the generic Paracetamol is more expensive than overseas.

But if you go to govt hospital and poly, the medicine is really cheap..

KinoChoco

Master Member
Reaction score
Your comment that most Singaporeans are rich is really looking from the top down. :D

Tell that to the hardworking lower educated and older blue collar workers in Singapore. :s13:

You have nothing to complain about because there are certain segments of this society that you intentionally or unintentionally did not notice.

Not really, I've been thru ****, with household income of 0, slowly improving, government still subsidized 100% of all my household hospital bills including consultation, medication, treatments.

I do know alot of lower income hard working workers in SG, some are doing ok, except for those that chose to spend majority of their income on alcohol and cigg - i don't think u can blame the government for this?

I've pretty much been thru all the ups and downs, including other people who had been in the same shoes, those who are really doing the right things and actually gave a damn about their life, are actually doing ok.....but of cuz, those that chose to forsake their life and spurge all their income away, does indeed deserves to be at the bottom.

EDIT: when our household income was 0, we spoke to MP and managed to get the utility bills off our backs too..and even hold off the housing loan payment, this is why i actually feel that SG is really not as bad as some people say....if it's other countries...we might already end up homeless living in streets and die of illness

Last edited:

Mergui219067

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

Mergui219067

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Are the common bread that ex here as reported ? :o

The survey always includes cars / alcohol / cigarettes which are deliberately made expensive here.

If you read Quara & many expats know the above high cost but find public transport & food very efficient & cheap here.

Not I say de, you anyhow type most expensive cities in the world, sure see Singapore listed as top few.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-most-expensive-cities-in-the-world-in-2017-are-mostly-in-asia/

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Simple question.
Compare to the past, are we improving?

And yes, no matter wanna take out simi to compare, we are one of the most expensive cities.

hwmook

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don’t agree fully . :o
Many expats / those Sinkies who stay in more advanced overseas cities would say Singapore is not too ex .

Housing cost with HDB flats is reasonable.
Car ownership / smoke / drinks / top end meals & items / stay CCR condo are optional.

Have you stay overseas to make this kind of comment? All my friends who went to USA/Germany conclude that you earn more and have a lower cost of living compared to Singapore. Please show data which of those cities have a lower cost of living and lower purchasing power compared to Singapore.

Toni90

Reaction score
Simple question.
Compare to the past, are we improving?

And yes, no matter wanna take out simi to compare, we are one of the most expensive cities.

It depends on who are "we". For bottom 20%, not improving. But for the average household, great improvement. 20 years ago, only top 10% can own condo and a car. Now any average household can if they want.

Mr.Canberra

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have you stay overseas to make this kind of comment? All my friends who went to USA/Germany conclude that you earn more and have a lower cost of living compared to Singapore. Please show data which of those cities have a lower cost of living and lower purchasing power compared to Singapore.

For USA the housing rental in some cities costs a bomb. Eg. San Francisco.

However usually if you can land a job in high living cost cities that means your salary is well compensated also.

If you take USA work life balance as an example there are many free activities to partake especially if you like outdoors or arts/music. Unlike Singaporeans' favourite pastime is to become mallrats. :D

Last edited:

Toni90

Reaction score

U stayed oversea before?

Toni90

Reaction score
Why cost so much?
When I was overseas, I can see that because raw food from supermart so cheap, also electricity and water super cheap, the people there spent just $1 on home cooked food that they bring for lunch, and pay $0 to cycle to work! :s13:
Which country?

Toni90

Reaction score
Confirm wages in Singapore never kept in pace with cost of living.

Just came back from USA and I compare the average prices for fast casual dining. Almost the same if not US$1-3 more expensive than Singapore only. The difference is their F&B wages are marginally higher than Singapore.

Which part of USA? USA very big loh. Many places much poorer than Singapore.

mikezuper

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The key is affordability.

If 70% can afford it, means ke yi.

30% who struggle can be subsidized.

Gahmen knows gdp flowing and distributed to majority, so they can afford it. That includes houses, transport and necessities.

Toni90

Reaction score
UK, Holland,

E.g. in UK, the medicine you buy in Pharmacy is less than half of that in Singapore!

Electricity and water bills in UK is like 1/3 to 1/2 of that in Singapore.
Milk is half price, bread is cheaper, potato even cheaper than Singapore.

Bull sh*t. I simple google check can see electricity in UK same price as in Singapore. Where got 1/2 one. U compare price in UK 20 year ago with the price in Singapore now, dont you?

How u cook a meal in UK for $1? Show me.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.