Singapore median monthly household income last year was S$9,023

Toni90

Reaction score
UK, Holland,

E.g. in UK, the medicine you buy in Pharmacy is less than half of that in Singapore!

True that in medicine in Singapore expensive. U can go JB buy one. 1/4 of the price in Singapore.

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
UK, Holland,

E.g. in UK, the medicine you buy in Pharmacy is less than half of that in Singapore!

Electricity and water bills in UK is like 1/3 to 1/2 of that in Singapore.
Milk is half price, bread is cheaper, potato even cheaper than Singapore.

bread, milk, potato cheap, but eating out in UK a lot more expensive than Singapore... :s13:

Of course if you like to drink, its not just the prices but the range of wines available that makes UK better than SG.

But services like plumber, electrician, movers, really super expensive probably because of minimum wage. Petrol is also super expensive in UK.

Property, if you are prepared to stay outside of London, definitely more affordable.

crimsontactics

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lol at food at $1.

No matter how cheap also can't be so cheap.

Sent from . using GAGT

Soul77

Reaction score
Really? If so why don't everybody just go govt hospital and poly to buy and let NTUC Unity Pharmacy and Guardian close down? There is a catch or condition like must have prescription from the respective hospital or poly doctors right? So you must pay consultation fees? Then end up more expensive than self medication by buying from NTUC Unity Pharmacy! :eek:

Exactly. You cant go there buy medicine. Got to queue for hours for poly. For public hospital if not emergency got to queue for months.

Soul77

Reaction score
Basic necessities, like rice. Eggs. Bread. Milk, chicken. If you choose the cheapest brands can be very cheap. Even cheaper than developing countries. Vegetables, fruits are expensive.
I read on the paper, the poor eldery eat only rice and preserved vegetables, because thats what they can afford.

crimsontactics

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Basic necessities, like rice. Eggs. Bread. Milk, chicken. If you choose the cheapest brands can be very cheap. Even cheaper than developing countries. Vegetables, fruits are expensive.
I read on the paper, the poor eldery eat only rice and preserved vegetables, because thats what they can afford.
Sure boh?

Cheaper than SG I believe, but cheaper than developing countries a little too much lol.

I go US, Europe and Australia also never find so cheap stuff.

Sent from . using GAGT

Maeda_Toshiie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Something that most Singaporeans do not to get: in countries with an agricultural sector, you buy food according to seasons. You eat much cheaper that way.

Aaron_soh80

Banned
Reaction score

Mergui219067

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Because Sinkies melt in midday sun. :o
Those who enjoy free outdoor activities would
do so. Many do not venture & only complain
the life here is boring .

Other city dwellers also need to drive out / fly out like we drive / fly out to Port Dickson /Phuket or Bali easily. Whole Singapore is like
a city size in others .

Unlike Singaporeans' favourite pastime is to become mallrats. :D

hwmook

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
U stayed oversea before?

Not for long periods, I was headhunted by a company in USA and my ex colleague is working there now. The salary is easily double of what I am currently getting locally. That's why I tell you salary level is crappy here.

Most things are cheaper there except for eating out and servicing stuffs so you better learn to DIY to fix your own stuffs and eat at home.

If I am single then I would probably have left this country and migrated overseas already.

andyhtc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The salaries in US are generally about 20-30% higher Singapore's after currency conversion and before income tax (which is very high in US). Hence nett off is about the same. However, houses and cars are much cheaper in US so reducing these two big ticket items really help to save a lot.

Reference on US salaries: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_nat.htm

andyhtc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It is good to take a look at the debt situation too, which is worsening.

Average Household Debt in Singapore 2017

"While household debt has been growing at an alarming rate since 2009, trends have been more or less stabilizing since 2015. Part of this is due to weak economy which is creating less opportunities for consumers to invest into (i.e. homes or small businesses). Whatā€™s also a legitimate cause for concern is that, despite stabilization of overall debt growth, consumers are growing increasingly reliant on alternative source of financing like personal loans, which typically come at relatively high interest rates. This could signal that household income growth is not sufficient to fund increasing cost of living in the country.

On the other hand, the situation in Singapore does not seem so bad when seen side to side with other countries. Below, we show household debt per capita, household leverage (asset/equity), and household debt as a % of GDP for Singapore, Korea and the US. As you can see, Singapore householdā€™s indebtedness is more or less in line with the other two countries. However, it is important to note that both Korea and the US have also been experiencing lagging consumer income growth & increasing reliance on debt. These are certainly worrying signs for the economy."

https://www.valuepenguin.sg/average-household-debt-singapore

Mergui219067

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Staying in / parking in comparable US cities area like Singapore cheaper ?
We know alcohol, local food ,cigarettes & cars are cheaper .

Being not shot / mugged is a big Singapore bonus :o

The salaries in US are generally about 20-30% higher Singapore's after currency conversion and before income tax (which is very high in US). Hence nett off is about the same. However, houses and cars are much cheaper in US so reducing these two big ticket items really help to save a lot.

Reference on US salaries: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_nat.htm

FT PRIDE

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Really?

Ok, let me google and check water price now:

UK: GBP1.288 per cubic metre = S$(1.288*1.83) = S$2.35 per cubic metre.
Source: http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/household/your-account/bills-and-payments/tariffs/standard-rates/

Singapore: From 2018 will be S$3.69 per cubic metre.
Source: https://www.pub.gov.sg/PublishingImages/2_dom.jpg

So, Singapore is 57% more expensive than UK!

Looks like you like to cherry pick? :s13:

why exclude Sewerage services from UK calculation but include that into Singapore calculation? 1.288 i supposed is from water supply only?

also the price on UK site is charged by per cubic metre, the more you use the more you pay. so in that case we should take 0-40m3 rate from Singapore to do a compare

Last edited:

lupster

Master Member
Reaction score
Which country in your mind has shown they are improving compared with the past ?

This is actually a good point. Which country with the same economic standing as us has managed to increase real wages every year?

Of course, there's always room for improvement. But it's not really as bad as how many people are making it out to be.

FT PRIDE

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1) Why you claim that I included Sewerage services in Singapore when I didn't? Singapore has additional refuse removal fee per month which I have not included here! This includes the "Sewerage services" that you mentioned right?

2) Good point, so it depends on your household usage. Even if 0-40m3 rate Singapore is still more expensive than UK!

3) Anyway, even based on basic necessities like bread, milk, basic medicine etc, Singapore has been ranked top 5 world's costliest cities and this can't be a lie right?

4) Why costs of living so high in Singapore? There are some interesting conclusions from here:
https://www.quora.com/Why-is-the-cost-of-living-so-high-in-Singapore

Refuse removal fee has nothing to do with water. It is a service provided by 3rd party for clearing your rubbish in rubbish chute. Sewerage services is for whatever you flush down the toilet or drain which i think is equivalent to sanitary and appliance fee in Singapore table.

so in that sense, you have to add water supply plus sewerage services (1.288+1.6952) in UK table.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.