How to deal with tail gaters?

Kula Diamond

Honorary Member
Reaction score
That’s why driving in SG sux , driving in My so much better pple will usually let you pass or they accelerate faster than you

koolaid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some drivers like to tailgate you even when you are driving at max speed limit. :s8:

if u r on the fast lane, n a car is tailgating u, just continue to hog the lane cos you aren't wrong in keeping within the speed limit.

however, do pray that you won't see videos of you hogging the road at roads.sg, behchialor, stomp...

n likewise, do the same when there's an ambulance with flashing lights n siren behind you... just stick to your lane even when the ambulance honks u... yup its ok cos you are within the speed limit...

however do pray hard each time before you open your mailbox...

:(

AL5509

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That’s why driving in SG sux , driving in My so much better pple will usually let you pass or they accelerate faster than you

Drive in MY is better but not when a SG car on MY road hogging the road worse play jam brake game......

Throw face in SG still not paiseh, still want to throw face overseas.
Hai..

MinorSage

Reaction score
I am on the road everyday for so many years, but i never encounter any tail-gaters before.

Kula Diamond

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Drive in MY is better but not when a SG car on MY road hogging the road worse play jam brake game......

Throw face in SG still not paiseh, still want to throw face overseas.
Hai..

Just don make me overtake I just give them 1 good 1

geck43

Reaction score
Some drivers like to tailgate you even when you are driving at max speed limit. :s8:

If you are not on the outermost lane, be zen and ignore tail-gater. Accept that tailgating vehicle is also helping you to achieve better fuel efficiency by "pushing" your vehicle. Though, if it is king kong lorry, should get out of its way as soon as possible and later send cam footage to tp.

Mogan23

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Gtfo and give way, don't be a burden to everyone just because you got no skills or humji to go faster

Z_Dash

Master Member
Reaction score
You never know the person behind is dealing with a personal emergency.
Don't have to judge why the person is tailgating, just signal left and give way.......let law deal with him if necessary.

nfshp253

Reaction score
One stupid reason I've heard why some people road-hog is that their car says they're travelling at 90km/h, but later found out during a tyre change that their speedo reads 10km/h too fast.

Ivanpaseo

Reaction score
Simple English keep left u less overtaking. Local drivers is shake head... All fail english

Sent from Essential Products PH-1 using GAGT

NoLogicLah

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Those say lane 1 for over taking only dont cock la

Morning peak hour u go tailgate n expect everyone give way to u on lane 1?

edwinttt1978

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Let’s clear the law on tailgating and road hogging once and for all.

There is no specific offence for tailgating. This has been made clear by
The Senior Minister of State for Home Affairs (Mr Masagos Zulkifli B M M) in 2013:

“... Tailgating is the common term used to describe the situation where one vehicle is following too closely behind another. It is not a specific offence in itself under our road traffic laws. However, tailgating a vehicle, especially one travelling at high speed, may result in an accident. The driver may then be liable for careless or inconsiderate driving, depending on the circumstances of each case. As tailgating itself is not a specific offence, Traffic Police do not maintain a record of instances of tailgating detected in Singapore...”

“Road hogging, which refers to the obstruction of traffic moving at faster speeds, is a traffic offence under our road traffic rules and carries four demerit points, in addition to a monetary penalty. Motorists should drive as close to the left-hand side of the roadway as possible, so as not to obstruct other vehicles using the other lanes...”

https://sprs.parl.gov.sg/search/top...WA_5+id-40d869c1-4e5c-443b-825f-02340300c415+

Mr Masagos Zulkifli was referring to road hogging as proscribed under Rule 5 of the Road Traffic Rules. As a subsidary legislation, the Road Traffic Rules shall not be inconsistent with the provisions of the Road Traffic Act. This is governed by section 19(C) of the Interpretation Act which reads:
no subsidiary legislation made under an Act shall be inconsistent with the provisions of any Act.

Speed limit
Next, we come to the speed limit. The speed limit or rate of speed is governed under section 63(4) of the Road Traffic Act, which reads:
A person who drives a motor vehicle on a road at a speed exceeding any speed limit imposed by or in exercise of powers conferred by this Act shall be guilty of an offence.

This is supported by the various speed limits for various roads under the Road Traffic (Restriction of Speed on Roads) Notification, which reads:

Speed limits on roads
2.—(1)**Except as otherwise provided in sub‑paragraphs*(2) and (3), the speed of all motor vehicles travelling along any road shall not exceed*—
(a) in the case of the roads or parts thereof set out in the First to Sixth Schedules, the speed specified in those Schedules; and
(b) in any other case, 50*kilometres per hour.

Application to certain vehicles
3.**This Notification shall not apply to*—
(a) any fire engine used for the purpose of extinguishing fires, of preserving life and property in case of fire or of aiding or rescuing persons in danger, or in case of an accident;
(b) any ambulance used for the purpose of aiding or rescuing persons in danger, or in case of an accident; or
(c) any motor vehicle owned by the Government and used by the Singapore Police Force or the Singapore Civil Defence Force for the purpose of executing the functions of the Singapore Police Force or the Singapore Civil Defence Force, as the case may be, if compliance with this Notification is likely to hinder the use of the fire engine, ambulance or motor vehicle for the purpose for which it is being used.[/i]

Right of way
Thus, only an ambulance, fire engine or government vehicle is allowed to exceed the speed limit but only when on official business. Now, do such vehicles also have the right of way?

Under rule 12(1) of the Road Traffic Rules, which reads:
Ambulance, fire engine, etc., to have right of way
12.—(1) Any vehicle used as an ambulance, or as a fire engine or for military, police, civil defence or customs purposes shall, when on an urgent duty call, have the right of way over all other traffic if such vehicle makes known its approach by means of some distinctive siren, bell or multi-toned horn, as the case may be.

Thus, vehicles travelling at the speed limit must still give way to such ambulances, fire engines, or police cars.

Parliament Intention
Parliament has also made it clear on speeding and tailgating.

“Motorists must themselves play their part by keeping within the speed limits at all times.”
https://sprs.parl.gov.sg/search/top...dContent43a675dd-5000-42da-9fd5-40978d79310f+

“But the best safeguard for motorists is not to speed at all times.”
https://sprs.parl.gov.sg/search/top...dContent43a675dd-5000-42da-9fd5-40978d79310f+

“... we must remove dangerous and reckless driving habits on our roads, such as excessive speeding, tailgating or drink driving.”
https://sprs.parl.gov.sg/search/top...04733-WA&topicKey=00004733-WA.00002330-WA_1++

In conclusion, taken holistically, there is no legal duty for the vehicle which is already travelling at the speed limit to give way to tailgating vehicles, unless such vehicles are on an urgent duty call with siren, bell or horn activated.

There is also no legal duty to assist unauthorised tailgating vehicles to travel beyond the speed limit by giving way to them.

Whether to give way to unauthorised tailgating vehicles is purely a moral decision.

Last edited:

yanbros

Master Member
Reaction score
Max lah.

Link-de-grupo-do-Canal-Top-Speed-Whatsapp.jpg

:s8:

Yeah , this should be it.

AL5509

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In conclusion, taken holistically, there is no legal duty for the vehicle which is already travelling at the speed limit to give way to tailgating vehicles, unless such vehicles are on an urgent duty call with siren, bell or horn activated.

There is also no legal duty to assist unauthorised tailgating vehicles to travel beyond the speed limit by giving way to them.

Whether to give way to unauthorised tailgating vehicles is purely a moral decision.

Love the last statement!
'PURELY A MORAL DECISION'

So those who dont do so mean the opposite of being moral aka making a moral decision in such case???..

My english no good so best to check on internet for the best word to use..

https://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/the-opposite-of/morality.html

Pick 1 to describle them?

-amorality
-dishonour
-immorality
-unethicalness
-wickedness
-corruption
-sinfulness
-dishonesty
-dishonor
-indecency
-unfairness
-badness
-evil

Which should be the better word to use??

koolaid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Love the last statement!

So those who dont do so mean the opposite of being moral aka making a moral decision in such case???..

-amorality
-dishonour
-immorality
-unethicalness
-wickedness
-corruption
-sinfulness
-dishonesty
-dishonor
-indecency
-unfairness
-badness
-evil

my england oso nose goods... i only got sec 2... :(

but i think hor, ts may be in a situation where he will negligently fail to follow the flow of traffic resulting in an uncalled for chian collision... :(

snipfer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Love the last statement!

-amorality
-dishonour
-immorality
-unethicalness
-wickedness
-corruption
-sinfulness
-dishonesty
-dishonor
-indecency
-unfairness
-badness
-evil

One word Buey kanz
I always love to overtake road hoggers DANGEROUSLY and jam jam brake whenever I have time to play.

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX 2 using GAGT

superman

Master Member
Reaction score
Road Hoggers don't care about other drivers because they know they won't get fined. They will give way to ambulance because they know they will get punished if they do not do so. Got law also no use, TP are more concentrate on catching speeders than Road Hoggers.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.