Question on KEF Active speakers

Amon86

Reaction score
Yep... definite there are some really good active speakers.

Key question is -- many people buy active speaker with an objective in mind ~ cost becomes biggest priority, ie. to be cheaper than separates (dac+opamp/amp+passive speaker) - of-course you will manufacturer serves this demand well - cutting corners.

Furthermore: most if not ALL Active Speakers design uses Class D amp (which 1# takes an analog signal ~ say from Laptop/Mobile headphone/DVD player RCA, converts it to PWM, amplifies it, and converts back to analog at the output; or which surprises me:

Why today music lovers din consider direct digital amplification (ie. Full digital path), ie. amplifier that takes a digital signal (SPDIF/PCM - a square wave) converts it to PWM (another square wave), amplifies it, and converts it to analog at the output --- my presumption since the large majority of today music lovers are already having digital music source (mp3,wav,DSD,network,internet streaming) to begin with! Of-course there are remnants of analog music source lovers - Vinyl records paired up with Class A/AB amps -- good for you -- full analog path (dont mind slightly more measures for audiophile reasons)

Note: Network active speaker does makes sense - such as Sonos, etc. I presume it would be foolish if they dint use direct digital amplification, since they are design with internet streaming in mind.

Some ppl don't like full digital due to it will sound more electronic sounding just like the past ipod using wolfson dac vs Cirrus Logic dac chip wolfson sound more warm and natural as compare to cirrus logic....that why there are products like ifi itube 2 which can add like more tube warm sounding if your system sound too clinical...

drumma

Reaction score
how are u guys powering the LS 50 wireless? power socket to speaker or using a power extension with surge protector?

forests_gump

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some ppl don't like full digital due to it will sound more electronic sounding just like the past ipod using wolfson dac vs Cirrus Logic dac chip wolfson sound more warm and natural as compare to cirrus logic....that why there are products like ifi itube 2 which can add like more tube warm sounding if your system sound too clinical...

Well, maybe going digital does makes music sound clinical/electronic, but

wolfson warm & natural than cirrus logic --- both are DAC
(100% digital processing inside Digital Analog Converter)

--- Why is there widespread acceptance of digital music source today?
So maybe hindrance due to ignorance, placebo or build-quality of digital?

Last edited:

Gymrat76

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
how are u guys powering the LS 50 wireless? power socket to speaker or using a power extension with surge protector?

Either way works. Singapore has stable power supply, if want added insurance put a surge protector in-between lor

Mine I use a Belkin surge-protector not because I need it, but because i had a spare just sitting there In the store, so might as well use lol

drumma

Reaction score
Either way works. Singapore has stable power supply, if want added insurance put a surge protector in-between lor

Mine I use a Belkin surge-protector not because I need it, but because i had a spare just sitting there In the store, so might as well use lol

thanks.. dont want my KEF speakers to end up hissing.. haha.. but not just KEFspeakers, anyone has encountered hissing speakers? my scandyna speakers are hissing..

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Normally hissing isn't solved by surge protectors or power conditioners; because normally hissing is not due to AC supply noise.

Grounding conditions do cause hissing but that's an issue that is separate and different solution from power supply. Sometimes getting a surge protector solves it but that is usually due to better connectors and people putting all the devices onto the same surge protector after buying a new surge protector instead of previously spreading the devices on multiple sockets.

Then we have hissing generated by the amplifier itself. Surge protectors don't solve that either. All speakers/amplifiers have them to some extent, but most decent products are inaudible at 1m and only audible with ear next to tweeter.

And, if the speakers weren't previously hissing but are hissing now, first see whether your connections have changed from previously and check the quality of the connection. Once you ruled that out, it's the speaker power supply old liao.

Last edited:

Amon86

Reaction score
thanks.. dont want my KEF speakers to end up hissing.. haha.. but not just KEFspeakers, anyone has encountered hissing speakers? my scandyna speakers are hissing..

If you have cheap socket wall plug sharing with your speakers buying a power conditioner also will not help you much unless you brought those power conditioner that each plug is individual separated from inside so noise from one doesn't go through plug to plug

KoChi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
u guys got your ls50w from GP, Robinson or Tangs?
any recommendation for stand? beside the original stand at 799

cravenz

Reaction score
Thinking of picking this up but not in a rush until my house reno is done. Wondering if it ever goes on sale?

Also, thinking of using this as a home theatre setup as well. Read that I won't be able to get any subwoofer rumble without a preprocessor?

Priority is audio but having a nice home theatre setup is mmm...

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Think it went below $3,000 once.

Normally for HT, people use AVR with passive speakers. (Or they use Soundbar which is functionally pretty much an AVR) But I guess you're aiming to use a pair of active speakers. In this case you should get either a subwoofer with line out or a speakers with subwoofer out. Fortunately LS50 wireless does have a subwoofer out.

drumma

Reaction score
should the internal amplifier go kaput, are we able to bypass it with external Amp? just thinking..

drumma

Reaction score
Thinking of picking this up but not in a rush until my house reno is done. Wondering if it ever goes on sale?

Also, thinking of using this as a home theatre setup as well. Read that I won't be able to get any subwoofer rumble without a preprocessor?

Priority is audio but having a nice home theatre setup is mmm...

as with all electronics, prices will drop. if not in a hurry, just wait lor.. but i love this pair of speakers man!

Amon86

Reaction score
u guys got your ls50w from GP, Robinson or Tangs?
any recommendation for stand? beside the original stand at 799

For LS50 stand i used before Custom Design RS303 price i think around $550.00 which is 3-4 years ago consist of 3 cones for you to add sand dust

Look like this
rs303_24in_blk-blk_s_1-large.jpg

My past setup with those stand
75MgiwM.jpg

Now those stand i used it for Dynaudio Special 40 but with isoacoustic panel added to place aperta on it so i can angle my speaker....so i can suggest you buying a cheaper stand place aperta you will get good result as well

bFJGe5j.jpg

GuFzN6c.jpg

weixiang80

Master Member
Reaction score
For LS50 stand i used before Custom Design RS303 price i think around $550.00 which is 3-4 years ago consist of 3 cones for you to add sand dust

Look like this
rs303_24in_blk-blk_s_1-large.jpg

My past setup with those stand

Now those stand i used it for Dynaudio Special 40 but with isoacoustic panel added to place aperta on it so i can angle my speaker....so i can suggest you buying a cheaper stand place aperta you will get good result as well

am using RS300 from custom design. so far still good.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
should the internal amplifier go kaput, are we able to bypass it with external Amp? just thinking..

Very hard since the speaker is bi-amped with active crossover and DSP.

cravenz

Reaction score
as with all electronics, prices will drop. if not in a hurry, just wait lor.. but i love this pair of speakers man!

Yup. Just not sure where to watch. I'm not in a rush at the moment. Tangs has rebates. Krisflyer still seems the cheapest.

KoChi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
iYAu0rd.jpg

Finally! Now looking for stand!

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.