Sony LED VS Samsung LED

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Looking for a 55” TV. Budget not more than $$4000 but obviously cheaper the better.

From Sony I guess the KD55X9000 is the best option. $2849 courts online. Has Triluminous display, direct LED & local dimming.

If Samsung definitely i’ll get QLED & the only one which fits my budget is QA55Q7FAMKXXS which is $3679 on courts online.

Which do u guys feel is better. For colour range is Sony’s Triluminous any match for Samsung’s Q Colour? And how does Sony’s direct LED & local dimming fare against Samsung’s Q Contrast & Q HDR1500?

LiLAsN

Master Member
Reaction score
If you refer to the 'Post your Purchase here' thread, you can see some really good deals that people got elsewhere. But how come no admin step in to stop salesman from putting in their deals without location some more? Isn't it supposed to be a purchase thread where people actually bought the TVs?

Regardless, at that budget, you could have gotten even Panasonic, LG, Philips and Sony's OLED TV. Reason why I push for OLED cos its truly the future and don't want to see people make a misinformed purchase only to regret later. Since you are informed, the ultimate decision from now onwards is up to you.

Model: LG OLED55C7T
Price :$2500
Free : Wall mount, Delivery & Installation
Warranty : 3 years

I just go there, quote that I saw this deal on where to get great deals on the Hardwarezone forum and he accepted the price on the spot.
About a few people came down before and after me to get the same deal. Only one a few weeks after me got the deal at $2550.

Below are some deals that I saw on the thread I mentioned above.

Model : Samsung 55 Q7F
Price :$2399 (after trade in free gifts)
Free : delivery , Wall mount , No gap wall mount, hdmi cable, Wireless keyboard and mouse

Model: Sony KD55X9000E with htct290 Soundbar
Price: $2859
Freebies: Price including htct290 soundbar, wall mount and delivery

For those keen can message me for the sales person details
^ Speechless. The Sony one confirm salesperson. Nevertheless, a good deal.

LiLAsN

Master Member
Reaction score
This video is great to see how the implementation of HDR Tone mapping is done on the different OLED TVs from Sony, LG and Panasonic.

Good for understanding and seeing the difference for yourself. Even better, you can test which one has the quickest response time just by pausing the video and moving the video forward frame by frame.

All of the OLEDs overall have the lowest response time for gaming you can have on a TV and when playing games such as Horizon Zero Dawn, you will appreciate that there is no backlight at all when entering the cave with the individual lights in the cave lighting up as it should without a yellowish glow all around the area where the light source is because of the TV's backlight.

This video will basically show a 1 year older model than the X9000E and QLED but still relevant to understand the underlying backlight technology you will get on each. But overall between the 2, X9000E offers better colours along with the Full Array Local Dimming. But on both, you can see how backlight makes the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen appear greyish.

Last edited:

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you refer to the 'Post your Purchase here' thread, you can see some really good deals that people got elsewhere. But how come no admin step in to stop salesman from putting in their deals without location some more? Isn't it supposed to be a purchase thread where people actually bought the TVs?

Regardless, at that budget, you could have gotten even Panasonic, LG, Philips and Sony's OLED TV. Reason why I push for OLED cos its truly the future and don't want to see people make a misinformed purchase only to regret later. Since you are informed, the ultimate decision from now onwards is up to you.

Model: LG OLED55C7T
Price :$2500
Free : Wall mount, Delivery & Installation

I just go there, quote that I saw this deal on where to get great deals on the Hardwarezone forum and he accepted the price on the spot.
About a few people came down before and after me to get the same deal. Only one a few weeks after me got the deal at $2550.

Below are some deals that I saw on the thread I mentioned above.

^ Speechless. The Sony one confirm salesperson. Nevertheless, a good deal.

No sh*t?! That LG OLED Courts & HN both selling $4247.

Even Megadiscountstore also $3988.

LiLAsN

Master Member
Reaction score

$4000? That one is the 55" or 65" model?
At $4000+, you could have bought the 65" C7 model that someone else bought in December at Courts Megastore.

LG oled 65c7t
Price $4499 (after deducting trade in of free TV and bluray player). Comes with $300 giant voucher.
Also bought soundbar sj8 at 249 (after trade in of free gift)

At courts megastore.

Just approach the only guy wearing white collared t-shirt at the TV area of Bedok Mall's BD. Sure will be him. At most, probably increased by a few bucks like $2550. But will be nowhere near $3000 unless you want to buy a soundbar together with it or something.

Last edited:

wacko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

you are quoting online prices. many TVs don't get transacted at online prices, often at very much lower prices in the brick and mortar stores. welcome to the strange world of bargain hunting of TVs.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you are quoting online prices. many TVs don't get transacted at online prices, often at very much lower prices in the brick and mortar stores. welcome to the strange world of bargain hunting of TVs.
This is strange indeed!

wacko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
This is strange indeed!

in the space of big ticket items with substantial absolute profit margins, price negotiability is actually quite prevalent. e.g. cars, furniture, jewelry.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If U getting the Sony or the Samsung can wait for IT show in March to get a better deal then current promo they will clear the models for new model coming in April/ May

For Sony no point waiting for IT show since now they have CNY promo
till 04 March.
Buy selected TV got free gold bar and the new models once they
are here.

They won't be cheap but between F (2018) and E (2017) series.
There won't be any major changes.
If you are looking for better pricing just get the previous year model.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually, unless one watches mostly blu-ray videos or UHD videos, is the difference between say a $1000 sony and a $4000 sony noticeable if u watch starhub tv programs?

Even all this talk about OLED vs QLED, local dimming or not & in the case of sony whether have Triluminous or not, will there be noticeable difference if one just watches starhub?

Last edited:

Pl8888

Reaction score
unless u need the tv now lo , if not urgent IT promo will be better then the current promo .

For Sony no point waiting for IT show since now they have CNY promo
till 04 March.
Buy selected TV got free gold bar and the new models once they
are here.

They won't be cheap but between F (2018) and E (2017) series.
There won't be any major changes.
If you are looking for better pricing just get the previous year model.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually, unless one watches mostly blu-ray videos or UHD videos, is the difference between say a $1000 sony and a $4000 sony noticeable if u watch starhub tv programs?

Even all this talk about OLED vs QLED, local dimming or not & in the case of sony whether have Triluminous or not, will there be noticeable difference if one just watches starhub?

SH or local programs are still in 1080i .
Even if one get the top of the line OLED Display watching
cable TV, your 4K HDR TV won't perform 100%

Unless with 4K HDR Blu ray than the 4K HDR TV will shine.
Between a high end and mid range, my opinion is that
there will be difference but not noticeable unless you are playing Blu ray.

These days most either watch cable TV, streaming or *ahem.
Very few rent/buy Blu ray.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
SH or local programs are still in 1080i .
Even if one get the top of the line OLED Display watching
cable TV, your 4K HDR TV won't perform 100%

Unless with 4K HDR Blu ray than the 4K HDR TV will shine.
Between a high end and mid range, my opinion is that
there will be difference but not noticeable unless you are playing Blu ray.

These days most either watch cable TV, streaming or *ahem.
Very few rent/buy Blu ray.
True also but i guess if its HD movie on say starhub HBO maybe got some difference lah. But if its starhub AXN or Asia Food Channel for eg I guess not much diff.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.