Norway 2 weeks too much?

Reaction score
I'll be there for 15days. Reach on 13th leave on 29th. Stopover at helsinki airport fpr 10hrs, do u think they will allow us out of the airport to explore helsinki?

Yes of course. You will clear immigration in Helsinki as there is no border control between Finland and Norway, both are in Schengen zone.

Reaction score
For now enroutr from oslo to tromso, i am thinking of this.
Oslo 2 nights, bergen 3 nights, xxx, lofoten 3 nights, tromso 3 nights.
Is this it ok? For now dunno where to go for 'xxx' i have 3 to 4 nights to spare

You should spend time in the fjord region, which is where most tourists go to in Norway. Exciting roads like the Troll road. There must be some organised tour you can join.

To get to Lofoten, it might be cheaper to fly or take train to Bodo and then take the ferry across. That puts you at the more interesting southern end. Lofoten north of Solvear is not as interesting.

wind30

Reaction score
For now enroutr from oslo to tromso, i am thinking of this.
Oslo 2 nights, bergen 3 nights, xxx, lofoten 3 nights, tromso 3 nights.
Is this it ok? For now dunno where to go for 'xxx' i have 3 to 4 nights to spare

I did a two weeks Norway before and I honestly think it is too much... pics from my two weeks trip in June.. mountains overload at the end

http://www.flyingmummy.com/norway2016/

But the end I was like sick and tired of mountains. They all just look the same and Norway does not have spectacular buildings...

The drive from narvik to Lofoten was spectacular . Really I find Lofoten so much better than the rest of Norway. I think 4 nights min Lofoten plus 3 nights at the main fjord areas is good enough.

Last edited:

tortoise18

Banned
Reaction score
You should spend time in the fjord region, which is where most tourists go to in Norway. Exciting roads like the Troll road. There must be some organised tour you can join.

To get to Lofoten, it might be cheaper to fly or take train to Bodo and then take the ferry across. That puts you at the more interesting southern end. Lofoten north of Solvear is not as interesting.
What are the fjords region? I won't be driving so it must be accessible

Reaction score
What are the fjords region? I won't be driving so it must be accessible

Answers to your questions can be found here:

https://www.visitnorway.com/ [Norway's official tourism website is the best I've seen anywhere. Informative and fun. I spent several days clicking through it when I was planning.]

http://catalogue.nlb.gov.sg/cgi-bin/spydus.exe/FULL/EXPNOS/BIBENQ/1168598/1645602,2

Everyone is different in what they like and don't like. There's a poster above who said 2 weeks were too much, but I felt 2 weeks were insufficient. Neither of us is wrong. Best to do your own research so that you can come up with a plan that suits your tastes.

All I can say is that Norway's cities and towns are really average at best compared to most of other Europe. The beauty is in the journeys and the countryside.

tortoise18

Banned
Reaction score
My itinerary:
13 to 15 OSLO
15 to 16 GUDVANGEN
16 to 20 BERGEN
20 to 23 REINE
23 to 25 SVOLVAER
25 overnight cruise to TROMSO
26 to 29 TROMSO

how does this sound?
I’ve been looking for cabins to stay at tromso and lofoten can’t seem to find any.
Also, the Hurtigruten cruise on the website only got voyage but I am interested in svolvaer to tromso only. Emailed them no reply.
For bergen to reine what’s the best way to travel?

Reaction score
4 nights in Bergen seems excessive. If you like cities, you should really think about spending a couple of days in Copenhagen or Stockholm on this trip, instead of spending so much time in a 2nd tier town like Bergen. These cities are much closer to Oslo than Tromso is! I doubt flights will be expensive if booked early. Both SAS and Norwegian have some great sales. Alternatively, go to another town further north of Tromso at the end. Or some of the fjord towns like Geiranger.

Bergen to Lofoten might be tricky. The fastest way is to fly to Bodo and take a ferry across to Moskenes. But I notice there aren't that many flights from Bergen to Bodo. Maybe you need to transit back in Oslo. There's also a night train from Oslo to Bodo.

One way to rejig without backtracking too much is to fly directly to Bergen from Oslo when you arrive in Oslo (lots of cheap flights between Oslo-Bergen). Then do Norway in Nutshell from Bergen to Oslo instead of other way. Then spend a couple of nights in Oslo before heading out to Lofoten.

kekeNarwen

Reaction score
My itinerary:
13 to 15 OSLO
15 to 16 GUDVANGEN
16 to 20 BERGEN
20 to 23 REINE
23 to 25 SVOLVAER
25 overnight cruise to TROMSO
26 to 29 TROMSO

how does this sound?
I’ve been looking for cabins to stay at tromso and lofoten can’t seem to find any.
Also, the Hurtigruten cruise on the website only got voyage but I am interested in svolvaer to tromso only. Emailed them no reply.
For Bergen to Reine what’s the best way to travel?
I think you can go straight to Svolvaer first if you are flying in from Bergen. Don't spend too much time in Svolvaer. Upon reaching Svolvaer, go get your rented car and drive down to Reine. Try staying at Eliassen Rorbuer in Hamnoy which is near Reine. Also, try to book Cabin 23 if you are there. It's the best cabin for 2. I parked my car next to the cabin. The only neighbour is at Cabin 22 so privacy is not much disturbed.

You can hike to Kvalvika Beach or Ryten. I did the hike to Kvalvika Beach. In your free time, you can drive to the village A. I drove to the end of the E10 expressway since I was near there. Although nothing much to see at A, it was kinda peaceful.

Try to spend less than 1 day in Svolvaer. There is nothing much to do or see there.

As for booking the Hurtigruten cruise, when i booked that cruise about 7 months ago, they have an online booking options where i chose the route and then make payment online. I think they have removed that option so you can either email to them or do a live chat with them. Faster response will be a live chat.

tortoise18

Banned
Reaction score
No plans to drive there.
I’m thinking bergen to leknes then to reine. 3 nights there then 2 nights svolvaer.
Bergen will reach there on 16th evening, then leave on 20 morning. Technically 3days there.

tortoise18

Banned
Reaction score
Hurtigruten repleid saying to check with them again 3 months before desired date. Will it be too late? My other option is flight

Reaction score
No plans to drive there.
I’m thinking bergen to leknes then to reine. 3 nights there then 2 nights svolvaer.
Bergen will reach there on 16th evening, then leave on 20 morning. Technically 3days there.

Even 3 days in Bergen might be too much; it is a small town; we ran out of stuff after 1.5 days. Maybe add a day in Oslo, and reduce in Bergen? Oslo isn't great, but at least it is a much bigger city.

Reaction score
Hurtigruten repleid saying to check with them again 3 months before desired date. Will it be too late? My other option is flight

You may want to check on tripadvisor forum, as there are lots of Hurtigruten experts there.

kekeNarwen

Reaction score
it won't be too late. I booked 2 months prior to departure. No issue with that. Most of the boats are big. Similar to Superstar Gemini. If the ship happened to be MS Lofoten, you should consider changing your departure date because the toilets are shared. If you don't mind sharing toilets, then it will be no issue for you.

My ship was MS Nordlys. Each cabin got its own toilet & bathroom with hot showers. Because I took the 2nd cheapest room, I had a single bed and a sofa bed. They provide only 1 pillow and 1 blanket, even though 2 of us stayed in the room. There is a dressing table with mirror and a small window to look outside. No tv though. There is a telephone cum intercom near the bed which you can hear the captain announcing the port of call and the presence of northern light (if any). No wifi available in my ship and 3G/4G was bad unless the ship was near some town or port.

When my boat left Svolvaer, i noticed quite a number of people boarded the ship to continue northwards. Saw some malaysian tour groups on their way to Hammerfest. The boat provided complimentary Norwegian fish cake which they served outside on the deck about 1 hours after leaving Svolvaer. They also serve some tea which you need to pay but you can keep the porcelain cup as a souvenir.

As for the breakfast, try to had it early because all the good seats with a view will be taken and those people will hog their seats until the end of the breakfast timing.

Overall, it's a good experience to take the ship.

Last edited:

pdsubbu

Reaction score
Here is the list!

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Hope this finds useful!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.