Travel tips for Rome - Florence - Venice - Milan - Paris

kuro

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Looking at Euro train pass for travel between Italy and France.

Rome - 3 Days
Florence - 1 Day
Venice - 2 Days
Milan - 2 Days
Paris - 4 & 1/2 Days

Is it doable?

travbug

Reaction score
Just wondering if paris is a must go for u? In terms of distance, switzerland is very near to milan. U can easily take train from milan and visit lugano, lucerne and fly back from zurich. Alternatively visit other sites in Italy, eg cinque terre, tuscany countryside

baileysGirl

Reaction score
Wow, its very touch and go.. I spent 5 days in Rome, and regretted allocating such little time to Rome.

It really depends on what your interests are. I didn't enjoy Florence cuz I'm not into arts.. and like previous post mentioned, Switzerland is close to Milan..

I did Zurich-Milan-Venice-Florence-Rome

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I did a 5 cities in 12 days europe before. Doable If u r still young and fit. Going 5 difference places with train ride.

My itinerary was
Paris 4 nights
Interlaken 2 nights
Lucerne 1 nights
Florence 2 nights
Rome 3 nights

I did "go" to Milan just to transit the train to Florence after I departed Switzerland.

If u never been to Switzerland or would visit europe only just once for experience. Don't skip Switzerland since from Paris to Italy is along the way.

Avizoa

Reaction score
I personally feel that 4.5 days is too much for paris. I would rather you spend more days in rome as per others said. Better yet, travel slowly up and visit the umbria region.

kuro

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thinking of getting Euro train pass. Worth it or should I just get individual tickets?

Will it be of a trouble to take the overnight train from Milan to Paris? Read online that there will be overnight train. And cabin with two sleepers only.

applefreak

Reaction score
Thinking of getting Euro train pass. Worth it or should I just get individual tickets?

Will it be of a trouble to take the overnight train from Milan to Paris? Read online that there will be overnight train. And cabin with two sleepers only.
imho individual tickets is a better choice
if you book early enough you can save a ton

overnight train is a good choice if you are doing it for the experience or to save time
not the most comfortable way to travel and definitely not much cheaper than taking a flight

klavier

Reaction score
I agree with applefreak.
When I did Rome - Florence - Venice - Paris, I booked all my train tickets individually. The Italian website might look confusing at first but its not difficult. check out the website seat61 for some tips on how to book and how to get cheapest pricing.

As for overnight train, it will be more expensive to get a 2 bed cabin compared to a budget flight on the same route. I took the overnight train once (albeit in Germany and paid something like 180 euros per pax for 2 people). That was promotional price for an overnight route in a private cabin. It was not that bad, i.e. we slept though the night. I chose to take the train then only for the experience.
Fast forward to my Italian trip, I took a flight from Venice to Paris this time. If you book early, price is in the range of 100-150 euros each for budget carriers.

applefreak

Reaction score
we did florence - munich night train in a private cabin as well
but the bed on the train can never beat a proper bed
like Klavier, we did it for the experience

on a side note, if you are considering taking the suggestions of fellow forummers and go through switzerland
do get on the bernina express - a 4-hr train ride from italy to switzerland (though including the train from milan and to zurich it'll be 7 hours)
it's really beautiful and i'm thinking of doing it during summer time in the other direction
my airbnb host in zurich told us that she did the to-and-fro trip in a day with her friends and did not regret it

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
it's really beautiful and i'm thinking of doing it during summer time in the other direction
my airbnb host in zurich told us that she did the to-and-fro trip in a day with her friends and did not regret it

I did it round trip to Tirano from Luzern in a day. Have to say, while the Bernina line is very scenic, I have to say the Albula line was even more spectacular.

One can save money by using the regular trains since they are free with the swiss travel pass instead of the Bernina Express trains which require supplementary reservation fee.

hellosgporean

Reaction score
definitely give rome more days to travel. rome has a lot a lot to offer, you can travel out to places as well like to Pompeii. I was in rome for like 8 days and i felt it still wasnt enough hahah

sean_x

Reaction score
I've similar starting and ending points, thinking to do Rome --> Venice --> Jungfrau or Zermatt --> Paris, in 14 days at end of Sept.

How many days in your opinion should I allocate for each of these places huh?

For Paris probably would stay for 1 night to 2 nights max, just wanna see the Eiffel tower. :o

Is Disney Paris worth going? I been to Jp Disneyland and Disneysea before, not sure if I should spent a day in Disney Paris..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.