Earphone Review: Battle of sub $80 in-ears earphones plus others!

theory_87

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
actually u shld add in EX51 too.. i find tt it better den EX71.. juz wan to c how it fair against hje50... i using both ex71 and ex51

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
theory_87 said:
actually u shld add in EX51 too.. i find tt it better den EX71.. juz wan to c how it fair against hje50... i using both ex71 and ex51

I do not have a pair of EX51 or have a friend that uses one. From what i read from ilounge and headfi, it is almost the same as EX71. Some thinks its slightly inferior than EX71. So i think it is no point in doing one. A EX81 will be different thou but i can't lay my hands on one.

TutuKuey said:
oh yah bug! have u tried the Sony earbuds with Cresyn?

Yes, tried before. More comfy but the Sony tips seals outside my ear, thus making the Cresyn stick out more. If i use Cresyn's smallest tip, i can jam them in all the way till the earpiece's stem/barrel is touching my ears. Looks nicer but more uncomfy. :o

There should be a slight change in sound but i din listen long enough to be able to descibe or detect cos i prefer to use Cresyn's eartip.

theory_87

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
afbug1 said:
I do not have a pair of EX51 or have a friend that uses one. From what i read from ilounge and headfi, it is almost the same as EX71. Some thinks its slightly inferior than EX71. So i think it is no point in doing one. A EX81 will be different thou but i can't lay my hands on one.

Yes, tried before. More comfy but the Sony tips seals outside my ear, thus making the Cresyn stick out more. If i use Cresyn's smallest tip, i can jam them in all the way till the earpiece's stem/barrel is touching my ears. Looks nicer but more uncomfy. :o

There should be a slight change in sound but i din listen long enough to be able to descibe or detect cos i prefer to use Cresyn's eartip.
oh... imo, ex51 is much better den ex71... the mid and high is more define den ex71... as for the bass, it less hush den ex71... overall i'll rate it 3.5 base on ur 2.5 for ex71

meet_nanda

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Just bought my MDR-888LP from Funan Sony Showroom. Only one piece was left. 79 bucks. The sales girl said there is no warranty for earphones. So, checked it right away. Will go home and check with my iPod! By the way, it says that it was made in Philippines. :s22:

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
meet_nanda said:
Just bought my MDR-888LP from Funan Sony Showroom. Only one piece was left. 79 bucks. The sales girl said there is no warranty for earphones. So, checked it right away. Will go home and check with my iPod! By the way, it says that it was made in Philippines. :s22:

I was there yesterday. Gold one displayed at top right hand corner right? :s13:

How does it sound off the box? Does it goes well with your ipod?

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
meet_nanda said:
Wow, you got me right there! Yes, that was the only one left. I would have cried if you bought that before me! :s13:

Well, sound off the box is just normal with equalizer off. I left it playing in 50% volume for the past two hours. Well, I will tell you how it sounds in couple of days. Don't you know that it needs atleast 100 hours burn-in time? Go back and read the review!!! :D

I was there, oogling at Sony's new cameras. Then remembered E888, so i went over and took a look and walk off. :s13:

It should sound good without any EQ. Thats how the E888 should sound like and enjoyed. For some earphones, you have to trim the treble and maybe add some bass etc etc.

I ask you for 1st impressions cos i haven got a clue how the new philippines ones sound like and if it sounds good with a ipod. Yours is a 5G ipod? And i used the foam pads. It does changes the sound a bit. nb....the review i wrote one, surely i know how many hours i typed! :s13:

Try this after a month or so:

Remove the silent cap, there is a paper filter, remove it and slip the foam pads over. It should sound clearer and have better bass and treble extension.

meet_nanda

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
afbug1 said:
I ask you for 1st impressions cos i haven got a clue how the new philippines ones sound like and if it sounds good with a ipod. Yours is a 5G ipod? And i used the foam pads. It does changes the sound a bit. nb....the review i wrote one, surely i know how many hours i typed! :s13:

Try this after a month or so:

Remove the silent cap, there is a paper filter, remove it and slip the foam pads over. It should sound clearer and have better bass and treble extension.

Yes, mine is a 5G iPod. I just listed to some of my favorite songs with about 60% volume, with ROCK equalizer. I should say I'm impressed. Treble is balanced and sparkling, just as I wanted! Bass is not to its full extent, but definitely good. As you say, Bass will increase after the burn-in period. I'm confident of that. I use the earphones with foam pads. Without them, I feel insecure that the earphones slip from my ears.

I will do anything you say, to get the best out of my earphones. Again, thanks for your efforts to enlighten all of us with your excellent knowledge in earphones! :)

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
meet_nanda said:
I will do anything you say, to get the best out of my earphones. Again, thanks for your efforts to enlighten all of us with your excellent knowledge in earphones! :)

Dun say that. I also learned what i know from other ppl. Esp the mod, i knew it from headfi, those guys are really innovative and sometimes crazy. :s13: I am just trying to share what i know. There are many other things i dunno. If you ask me bout headphones, then my knowledge is limited compared to some other members here. And if you take a look at what they had, your eyes can pop out! :s13:

Mourinho

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ahbug1 dude. how do i get the best out of my HJE-50 and Creative Muvo combination?

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
Mourinho said:
ahbug1 dude. how do i get the best out of my HJE-50 and Creative Muvo combination?

I have no idea as i never use a creative movo before.

1. Essential to get a good seal. Try all the tips and experiment. Insert them as deep as possible.
2. Let them run in for about 50 hours.
3. Use any EQ to adjust the sound to your tastes.
4. Use an amp but likely not to make much difference to a HJE50 or these in-ears.
5. Use a Sony tip or other brands of tips, they might provide a better seal or have better SQ. To me, a Sony tip on the HJE50 sounds slightly better.
6. Wash the ear tips regularly with mild soapy water. Once or twice a month will be fine.

If you're expecting some mod, i have not idea. Din see anyone mod their HJE50 before.

Last edited:

kd2000

Reaction score
To the threadstarter: thank you very much for the in-depth reviews. Am looking around for in-ears earphones and this definitely helps me in deciding what to buy.

KWSW

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hot my hje-50 and i must say its an improvement over the earphones that came with my ipod nano.
got them at $49 @ funan song brothers with the 5 dollars coffee bean card which expires 31st dec.
Maybe at sls would be cheaper but no time to go cos had to catch SPL at shaw towers beach raod.

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
U all go slower lah. I have to tahan another week to my payday. This mth i spent too much on CDs liaoz, so dun dare to spend now.

TutuKuey

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Jus wondering how come all of you prefer to buy at SLS Apple at $49.90 instead of Yahoo Auctions at $44.90 sia??

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
TutuKuey said:
Jus wondering how come all of you prefer to buy at SLS Apple at $49.90 instead of Yahoo Auctions at $44.90 sia??
Buyers mentality bah. Some ppl really dun might paying that extra few bucks, and u really get to hold it and know that its supposed to be brand new from shop.

bakavic

Reaction score
afbug1 said:
...And i will not have bought the other version/style. I prefer a normal 1.2m neck chain style.

Ya, I starting to regret liao...When sitting down in the bus not so bad, but when walking, it constantly tugs at my player in my pocket. Probably will have to use the necklace configuration, although the fashion police will probably put in jail for a loonng time for having a black (and big) mp3 player hanging from my neck..oh well, as long as got good sound...

afbug1 said:
..If got commission, good liao lor.

Hmm, maybe can help write headphone articles for hardwarezone? ;)

shaunld

Reaction score
afbug1 said:
Hmm........i am looking to buy my 1st iaudio. Eyeing the U3. Any bad points about this brand? I know it has very good SQ but how about the rest like egonomics? Software user friendly?

Besides the G3 I don't know much about the rest of the flash player series.

It (the U3) has an LCD screen... I wish iAudio would come up with a player featuring an OLED screen (has it already?). That would boost battery life significantly even with frequent screen usage. The colour LCD screen IS cool though.

There's also the bad thing about integrated batteries; if they fail, you have to send the player back for battery replacement.

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was window shopping at Funan today, saw some earphones which were in this thread so i like to update the rest abit.

I saw the Cresyn earphone at a very big shop on the 5th flr. That shop is actually selling it at $80 and $90. RL and DL(correct model?) WTF?! Its almost double the price u guys bought at sls lor. So warning, dun get "chop" by such shops.
Then i went to Challenger looking for speakers. Saw the Audio-Technica gift pack one of u was talking abt. Its selling $98 for normal shoppers and $88 for members. Not sure if its good price though... I saw 3 boxes left only.

oceanboi21

Master Member
Reaction score
shaunld said:
Besides the G3 I don't know much about the rest of the flash player series.

It (the U3) has an LCD screen... I wish iAudio would come up with a player featuring an OLED screen (has it already?). That would boost battery life significantly even with frequent screen usage. The colour LCD screen IS cool though.

There's also the bad thing about integrated batteries; if they fail, you have to send the player back for battery replacement.

check iaudio F1 with OLED , batter life around 22 hours

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.