Introduction to the world of headphones

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
theory_87 said:
haha.. but headfone feel lyk something hangin to my ear.. make it feel heavier den IEM.. imo only..

Haha you very funny. lol. Wait till you try SAF's helmet. :s22: Dun worry, i'm not trying to convert you. Earphones are great, much cooler to use too, not so hot. I also prefer earphones and small size headphones. Not because of the weight but smaller ones not so warm.

Jayish said:
yea its true headphone does add on to the weight on ur head lol.. especially those high end ones... i tried HD600 a week ago... sound wise really fanastic.. but the weight is kinda a concern too..

Waa.....i tot we're talking about cheap and lightweight headphones. HD600's price itself is a heavyweight liao. Its many classes above the 3 i reviewed. :s22: BTW, lower end Grados are very light.

kazuki666 said:
OMG!!!!
I happened to went Liang Court today. So went to that big electrical store on the 1st flr to look look see see.
Saw a few Philips wireless headphones. They range from $80-$100++. Are they any good???

hmm... True true. And not all of the models come with charging station, right?

For the Philips, no idea man. And yes, not all models got a charging stand. Imagine, you forgot to charge and you watch movies at nite, then watch halfway, run out of batt. Can bang balls liao. :D

Last edited:

theory_87

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
afbug1 said:
Haha you very funny. lol. Wait till you try SAF's helmet. :s22: Dun worry, i'm not trying to convert you. Earphones are great, much cooler to use too, not so hot. I also prefer earphones and small size headphones. Not because of the weight but smaller ones not so warm.
haha.. dun get me wrong... i do use those sony street style earphone too.. but quite seldom nowadays

Zephyron

Reaction score
Just for the fun of it, welcome the 'best headphones' on this planet ever: The Sennheiser Orpheus (HE90 + HEV90 combo)
orpheus2.jpg

Happy saving and hunting for it! :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
theory_87 said:
but the problem of headfone is it nt potable.. so u bring ur headfone out or cresyn?

haha indeed i'm now bringing the senn headphones out. well the portability issue ain't that bad la, just that i gotta have a pouch or bag around when i want to keep them, unlike earphones which i can squeeze into my player pouch. and when i need to pick up calls, it's not as convenient as plugging one side of the earphones out, gotta strip the headphones off from my head and hang on my neck.

oh did i just say that portability issue ain't that bad? :s8:

but i don't mind la, as they give me better thumping bass. and the open air style can chase other commuters away from me :D . no disrespect to cresyn, they're great phones too. but well my cresyn seem to be having abit of problems so would like to conserve them :s13:

Reaction score
Zephyron said:
Just for the fun of it, welcome the 'best headphones' on this planet ever: The Sennheiser Orpheus (HE90 + HEV90 combo)
orpheus2.jpg

Happy saving and hunting for it! :D

wow hardcore audiophile...

how much is this set-up?

wonder will i ever have the chance to just try them out =:p

Last edited:

Zephyron

Reaction score
The set-up costs US$7500, most of us can just ever dream on trying to even wear these babies *is sad*

:sad:

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
afbug1 said:
For the Philips, no idea man. And yes, not all models got a charging stand. Imagine, you forgot to charge and you watch movies at nite, then watch halfway, run out of batt. Can bang balls liao. :D
geez... Thats bang big balls sia....

Btw, do u guys know of any audio shops that can allow u to test their headphones?

weihong

Master Member
Reaction score
recent studies have shown that using in-ears for a prolonged period of time could result in permanent ear damage so I generally use earphones only when I am outside of home. currently using closed cans at home but my ears do get quite warm after some time...thats why still prefer using speakers. not really an audiophile though. heh. :o

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
theory_87 said:
haha.. dun get me wrong... i do use those sony street style earphone too.. but quite seldom nowadays

Oh not getting you wrong. I prefer smaller ones. Not so hot. :)

kazuki666 said:
geez... Thats bang big balls sia....

Btw, do u guys know of any audio shops that can allow u to test their headphones?

You can try your luck at Hung Bros. But i dun think so cos must charge the batts. When in doubt, buy from a reputable brand. I'm not saying Philips is lousy. They got some very good stuff but their headphones/earphones are cheap and cut corners. So i think Senn will be safer. I've read reviews on the RS140 before. Not bad. Personally, i will buy a normal wired one. Cheaper, no need to charge and generally got better SQ.

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
afbug1 said:
You can try your luck at Hung Bros. But i dun think so cos must charge the batts. When in doubt, buy from a reputable brand. I'm not saying Philips is lousy. They got some very good stuff but their headphones/earphones are cheap and cut corners. So i think Senn will be safer. I've read reviews on the RS140 before. Not bad. Personally, i will buy a normal wired one. Cheaper, no need to charge and generally got better SQ.
THanks man, i see how. ;)

Jayish

Reaction score
helpz! my headphone earpads(sponge-type) rotten! donno y the sudden rot... all the sponge dust-like
substances flew everywhere in my room when the fan blew... omg... when i tried to remove the sponge earpad... it tears...

now anyone know any alternatives? i have seen those sponge earpad replacement but im looking at other alternatives... any inputs guys?

Jayish

Reaction score
mine is the multi media headphone sennheiser pc130. bought quite some time ago.. 1/2 years i think.
sound wise. sennheiser still lives up to its reputation.

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
Jayish said:
mine is the multi media headphone sennheiser pc130. bought quite some time ago.. 1/2 years i think.
sound wise. sennheiser still lives up to its reputation.

Senn got 2 years warranty rite? But i dunno if this consider wear and tear or not and the warranty dun cover it.

n6a2wh6k

Master Member
Reaction score
I would not buy those crappy headphones. guys get a beyer headphones instead

Zephyron

Reaction score
^
Aiyah, depends on taste lah. Beyers quite 'rangy' IMO. 770 quite bassy, I don't like.

DT880 (newer version) is so resolving however, everything out of it sounds so nice. I like the sound of orchestrated pieces being played on the DT880, detail, separation, neutrality, naturalness and openess.

I also think quite highly of the Audio technica ATH-A900. The Sennheiser HD280 Pro is also not bad, but I didn't spend a lot of time with it. The HD497 does sound a little cramped though, a bit of bass emphasis.

n6a2wh6k

Master Member
Reaction score
price performance ratio but then sound is subjective. prefer something neutral like beyer to bring out the originality of song

Zephyron

Reaction score
^
But you have to remember not everyones taste is similar to yours.

Like you, I love the DT880 because of its neutrality and used it for enough hours to justify my liking for it, but to others, the DT880 may sound dry, lifeless and boring especially if they're bassheads. Also, people may not like the DT880 bcause its very revealing.

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
n6a2wh6k said:
price performance ratio but then sound is subjective. prefer something neutral like beyer to bring out the originality of song

Price to performance ratio? Can you name me one Beyer or one other headphone that can beat Koss KSC75's price to performance ratio? And how to calcualte price to performance ratio? :s13: Most $300 headphone will no doubt sound better than a $50 one. If it sound worse, then it is indeed crappy.

I got nothing against Beyers but you have to look at the title of the thread and the interest of the members here. I will have suggested the top of the line headphones from various manufacturers if the people here are into headphones. And besides, not many members here owned a headamp.

Like the earphone thread, i might as well ask them to skip the budget earphones and go straight for the mid to high end earphones. There are different products for the different budget and market segment. Skip the cheap KIA and go for the Ferrari. Price to performance = Real blistering speed. ;)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.