Best ramen in Singapore

spinelli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
aijisen is good?omg!thats not even food to me!!

is ichiban and ichibantei the same?? :s11:

is the galley hotel the one shown on tv some weeks ago?the one near city hall mrt is it??if thats the one.i think many said they are the best in SG.everythere there is imprted from japan-even the chef

personally,i like beppu.not so much of high standard of ramen but rather i love their spicy soup.i always take the level 8 hotness which is the max.at least once a month while my gf is still stuck ay level 6
for this,the best is at far east sq.somehow,i dunno why,i feel tiong bahru and suntec's ones arent as spicy and nice.beside,f.e.s is the very first one

noelnoel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
spinelli said:

is the galley hotel the one shown on tv some weeks ago?the one near city hall mrt is it??if thats the one.i think many said they are the best in SG.everythere there is imprted from japan-even the chef

personally,i like beppu.not so much of high standard of ramen but rather i love their spicy soup.i always take the level 8 hotness which is the max.at least once a month while my gf is still stuck ay level 6
for this,the best is at far east sq.somehow,i dunno why,i feel tiong bahru and suntec's ones arent as spicy and nice.beside,f.e.s is the very first one
wahh why so extreme?
ajisen is cfm too salty for my taste
but somehow it attract loads of customers
should be ok for most people

kifo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wow!! I am impressed! You had ramen 4 times in a week! Power!

How to eat ramen:

1) Admire the arrangement of the different condiments in the ramen - egg, chashu, negi (spring onions), etc. A well prepared ramen should have everything arranged aesthetically. After all, the packaging is everything in Japan!

2) Whiff in the aromatic smell. The soup should be hot and steaming. I have had ramen in Ajisen where the soup was just lukewarm! Oh and if you are eating with other people in Japan, remember to say your Ittadakimasu now.

3) First just drink the soup. Yes just only the soup. Depending on the region the ramen is from, it will either be shio, shoyu, miso or tonkotsu. See which one you like.

4) Then take a bite of the noodle. The noodle is very important. I always find the noodles too dry and starchy in Ajisen. Perhaps their noodle is not truly fresh? Enjoy the texture. After the first bite, you can eat normally.

5) The egg. Most ramens have either a boiled egg or a stewed egg. I prefer the stewed variety. It is much harder to do and it taste better!

6) The chashu. Of cos not all ramen come with chashu. But good chashu seems to be a difficult thing to get here. Try the one in Ohsho.

7) Slurping. Well slurping is optional here in Singapore. But you should eat your ramen hot.

Last edited:

hoks

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
spinelli said:

Level8 hotness? U are power man :s31: . I tried 6 once and regreted and struggled to finish the bowl. Tried 4 the next time and still si beh hiam....go to 2 and its just nice.

RSKeisuke

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
last time i tried uma uma men at century sq... they claimed their noodle and stock followed as close as authentic jap style.. damn.. first visit i regretted and never return since.

when served, the soup already not piping hot, the texture of noodle is bad(like overcooked), tonkotsu stock tasted mostly of MSG and salt than pork..

spinelli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hoks said:
Level8 hotness? U are power man :s31: . I tried 6 once and regreted and struggled to finish the bowl. Tried 4 the next time and still si beh hiam....go to 2 and its just nice.

level 2?i think laksa also hotter than that lei bro :s13:

can one lah.you know the first time i tried was while i was in HK.yes they have brances over there also.first time tried level 6,took me around 45 mins.next day go back try level 8,took 1 hr 15 mins :s13:

hoks

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
spinelli said:
level 2?i think laksa also hotter than that lei bro :s13:

can one lah.you know the first time i tried was while i was in HK.yes they have brances over there also.first time tried level 6,took me around 45 mins.next day go back try level 8,took 1 hr 15 mins :s13:

Different tolerance lah....but u really good... :) The level 6 is the most spicy stuff I ever had, maybe chung ching steamboat can fight with it.

Anyway just went to Miharu (again after reading this thread)....soup/noodle is very good but eat till the end find it a tad saltish. Chasiew is dissappointing though, comes in very large chunk so not soft enough. And the place is super hot (temperature), eat n sweat all over. But will go back again, just for the soup.

ufo8mydog

Reaction score
spinelli said:

ichibantei and ichiban is not the same. ichibantei is @ robinson quey which is almost beside gallery hotel.

there's only one miharu which is located outside gallery hotel not city hall. the place is not tt hot to me.

spinelli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ufo8mydog said:
ichibantei and ichiban is not the same. ichibantei is @ robinson quey which is almost beside gallery hotel.

there's only one miharu which is located outside gallery hotel not city hall. the place is not tt hot to me.

anyone tried the one at..now i remember,grand plaza hotel.heard thats supposed to be the best here lei

spinelli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hoks said:
Different tolerance lah....but u really good... :) The level 6 is the most spicy stuff I ever had, maybe chung ching steamboat can fight with it.

Anyway just went to Miharu (again after reading this thread)....soup/noodle is very good but eat till the end find it a tad saltish. Chasiew is dissappointing though, comes in very large chunk so not soft enough. And the place is super hot (temperature), eat n sweat all over. But will go back again, just for the soup.

true lah...anyway i dun find chung ching's spicy lei.ya want real mala can try that famous one..forgot the name but its at bugis that side,think ya will know which one.

dun worry,im sure one of this day you will finish level 8 with ease :) .but everytime i order level 8 the staff sure ask me are you sure?or have you tried before.damn shiok :D

kifo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hoks said:

I just went to Miharu and I tried the Miso ramen. As you reported, the soup is very good and the noodles were cooked to perfection - springy and smooth. I think the chashu is a disappointment. It is dry as the one in Ajisen. Does it means only Ohsho knows how to make a proper chashu in Singapore?

One thing I noticed on the menu is that they even have tsuke ramen. More a gimmick than anything?

kifo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just came back from Ichibantei. The place is much like a family restaurant and there are lots of family having their meals there. They have a variety of other food as well.

Well I tried their tonkotsu ramen which was not bad. I would rate it above Ajisen for sure. The soup was flavoursome but a tad too much MSG I think. The noodle was better than Ajisen, but I find it not as soft and springy as the one in Miharu. The chashu was pretty good this time, not as hard and dry as the ones in Ajisen and Miharu. Still if I want to be picky, I find that it crumbles too easily.

So my ratings:

MIHARU
soup:*** noodle:*** chashu:* egg:**

ICHIBANTEI
soup:** noodle:** chashu:** egg:**

OHSHO
soup:* noodle:** chashu:*** egg:**

AJISEN
soup:** noodle:* chashu:* egg:*

I shall revisit Noodle Shop Ken and Tampopo soon. =:p

BenFong79

Reaction score
My favourite one is Tanaka Ramen at Shaw Tower, Beach Road but it is gone now. If any knows if it has relocate, please pm me or share over here...;((

ufo8mydog

Reaction score
i tried tampopo @ liang court yesterday. service sucks and not prompt when i asked for my green tea refill cos they made me ask twice. my friend was having this red chilli spicy tonkotsu ramen but they forgot to add the chilli inside therefore it isnt even red. how can u **** such a thing up? server can even remark "they forgot to add the chilli for u huh?". wtf is "sorry"?

anyway the spicy tonkotsu is jus a gimmick, the only diff is tt u add red chilli flakes and replace the chasu with thin pork belly slices.

the good thing here is that the soup broth is not too salty and is v flavoursome. i wouldnt know how this compares to the one originated in japan tho for i have not been there before. but i can say for sure tt the chasu can fight with the one @ ohsho albeit it's slightly smaller but the meat is less tougher. the egg is damn well done.

the noodles... isnt really good. they r using the ajisen like spagetti noodles. but of cos the noodles here tastes much muc better than ajisen.

avoid the orange jelly dessert ($5 so ex) which basically tastes like orange jelly with chucks of orange pulps.

RSKeisuke

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tried Ramen Ramen today at Rail Mall.. my first visit.

Will be my last.

If the quality has always been so, it's shockingly bad since there has been much talk about it when it first opened.

Noodle texture is bad.. Soup is lousy and grossly understaffed.

kifo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When all else fails, or you are just a lazy bum, here is something that taste good and cheap...

Get it from Meidi-ya. Full of the MSG goodness! And a real change from local instant noodle!

ufo8mydog

Reaction score
kifo said:
When all else fails, or you are just a lazy bum, here is something that taste good and cheap...

Get it from Meidi-ya. Full of the MSG goodness! And a real change from local instant noodle!
ill second tt. this instant tonkotsu ramen is quite some good ****. how u going get the chasu... i have no idea. u can add bean spouts, spring onions and the hard boiled egg (boil for not too long. needs practise).

but i disagree w/ something. it isnt cheap. a pack of say 5 cost 8 bucks? wtf for instant noodles.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.