SMa School of Management

systeo

Reaction score
Looking for a Part-time / Full Time bachelor or Master Degree + 2800 Career Opportunities ..

Visit SMa School of Management at www.sma.edu.sg :s22:

SMa School of Management is a Not-for-profit institution backed by 2,800 companies and offers an extensive range of degrees in Mass Comm, Marketing, HR Management, Finance, Accounting, Engineering and Security courses from Australia, UK and American Universities.

They are also back by a strong council, their president, Mr Edwin Khew was nominated a NMP by the Parliament last week :s31:

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showthread.php?p=20125450#post20125450

systeo said:
i am not an engineering student, my friend on the programme, they mentioned not bad as all taught by professors from australia.

i just signed up with their Bachelor of commerce programme. sma is also a business association association. quite a decent outfit.

i just finish my 1st class tonite, they gave me a welcome gift - a sma thumb drive and a sma cashcard. Very impressive.

Do check them out www.sma.edu.sg
they are backed by 2800 companies including dbs, ibm, hsbc.... :s12:

systeo

Reaction score
Indeed they paid me for student referrals :s31:

SMa School of Management offers a Friend refer Friend scheme of $200 to $400 for every student referral. i consult 2 web enquiries last month and got $500 bucks.

Comn' its a knowledge based economy today.. any prospective students who are bright enough to embark on a Bachelor or Master programme will do their due dilligence.

i am a satisfied student of SMa School of Management and I get paid for my referral for helping prospective students find a good and reliable institution.

Its a Win-Win situation. Why Not ??

If you dont trust me , go ahead and give them a ring at

Office: 6720 3333 or visit www.sma.edu.sg

Cheerio

thepeak

Reaction score
bridging program

hi systeo,

I juz called SMa today about the BCom from Murdoch. As a non-biz poly grad, they asked me to attend a bridging program for 8 modules. Wonder if you attended it before?

The time table quite stress, 3days complete 1 module then next wed take exam liao! Wonder how the passing rate is like for people without biz background & if is even possible to even learn enuff to latter go onto their 2nd & 3rd Yr with such weak concepts and understandings of biz :s11:

They also ask me to pay $500 before 31 Jan first to lock into the current degree course fee that will increase in 1 feb, dun knoe if its jus another $$$ making scheme to make me study with them or its realli true to help me save $? Wait come 1Feb course fee still same, then I pay $500 for nothing. :s31:

Some more must confirm march to start bridging course, 100% payback only if I withdraw before 60day course start, thats 2 mths, now to march also 2mths, looks like if i pay them i definitely must study with them or else $500 forfitted.:s8:

With all this issues unanswered, i feel so unsecured to start any program with them. Dun understand y got refer fren to make $, which established school like SIM, PSB or MDIS does that???
All looks like consultants and students making $ for and from SMa. :slant:

Last edited:

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
zerosum1234 said:
well i have to give him marks for being honest!...
same here.

since he/she is a student there, should write stuff base on his/her experience on the specific program. just quote from website hard to convince ppl. Want to make more $$ from referals, must write what we cannot see on their website.

like text used if they are same as local Uni or Uni used in OZ must write.
teachers that taught me, grad from XX Uni.
Teaching style and method etc...
Exams paper set directly by overseas Uni and graded there..
Passing rate.
Easy to make friends?
Local to FT ratio etc etc..

chemz

Master Member
Reaction score
even if someone did register with sma, how is sma going to credit the 'incentive' into systeo's acct?

there's no indication of his/her name, student id, etc

systeo

Reaction score
hi there,

sorry for the late reply, just finish my group discussion.

answers as appended

the peak,

Hi the peak,

glad that you take the initiative to call.

Yes, non-business poly graduates are required to complete bridging modules. you need to do 8 bridging if you are going for the Professional Accounting Bachelor which is recognized by CPA australia. If you are doing other majors, i believe you need to do only 5-6 units.

The timetable is rather compact, many of my classmates went through that, its tough but its a price we have to pay for a shorter duration.

Passing rate is about 90% to 95% on average for most Year 2 and Year 3 Units but there is 1 to 2 killer units that have lower passing rate of 70%.

As for the course fees,, i m not too sure but i sign up for S$1,500 per unit = Australia $1,200, relatively reasonable if we compare to other universities. I overheard some of my classmate mentioning the price is going up.. but as a current student i am not affected, so i didnt really borther.

Pay a visit to the school if you want to learn more, the consultants are quite helpful and friendly. its at le meridien hotel, orchard road.

final note, its got good track record, Murdoch bachelor was conducted previously by SNEF, singapore national employer federation in 1989s. SMa only took over in 2003. so a long history of 16 years establishment is singapore.

SMa history also very long,, established in 1932, you can visit www.smafederation.org.sg to learn more about SMa history.

Hope it helps

systeo

Reaction score
Your wish is my command........

like text used if they are same as local Uni or Uni used in OZ must write.
Textbooks and materials are all from Murdoch University.

teachers that taught me, grad from XX Uni.
Lecturers are all local professionals, all minimum Master Degree, quite a few PhD, 2 Hot favorites.. Mr Yee frankie and Dr Alyosious . they are quite dedicated, even got their own website to help students.. www.frankieyee.com

The lecturer list is on their website. http://www.sma.edu.sg/academicteam.asp

Teaching style and method etc...

Mostly lecturers + group works + presentation. Honestly quite taxing, on average 2-3 assignments/quizzes and 1 exam per module. IF you are looking for Fast and easy Degree, dont try. But again, its a price we need to pay for a well recognized one.

Dont worry about your academic background ...engineering, business.. if i am not wrong over 55- 65% students are from non-business or other commercial diplomas like MDIS, MIS, SIM and SHRI transfer cases..

Exams paper set directly by overseas Uni and graded there..
All marked by University and graded on campus.

Passing rate.

Pls see my reply to peak

Easy to make friends?

All same background,complaint and enjoy the pain together.....so if you are friendly,, its always easy. quite alot of fun when doing projects and presentation.. u can easily identify the skivers and the real leader.. so to me its good training

Local to FT ratio etc etc..

This is what i like Best at SMa.. 95% of its students are local singaporean/PR.. so you got good networking opportunities. SMa also organize alot of networking events with its 2000 over companies including site visits, networking, talks , conferences etc..

Lastly.. please be kind enough to provide me your name and the programme you registered for if you enrolled. Its extra pocket money for me. but honestly, i wont sell my SOUL for $200 !!!! Its quite a good school. they offer also engineering, logisitics. Mass comm. Also got Security Management, Finance , etc..

good nite and take care... wont be logging in tom n sunday... need to catch me sleep....zzzzzzzzzzzzz

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This is my final sem at SMa for the BComm double major. Just for the record, there are subjects that have passing rates of only 50%. Frankie is a good teacher, but he can be rather biased at times. (Based on my experience with him for 3 subjects. But its only human.) On a whole, having done my first degree in Canada, I must say that the study structure is pretty much different. Murdoch emphasizes alot on theory, whereas my previous uni emphasized alot on hands on and critical thinking. Just my 2 cents :o

edit: by the way, don't count on the job opportunities thing. Its plain rubbish. Haven't seen anything at all.

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thepeak said:
With all this issues unanswered, i feel so unsecured to start any program with them. Dun understand y got refer fren to make $, which established school like SIM, PSB or MDIS does that???
All looks like consultants and students making $ for and from SMa. :slant:
Just to point out, MDIS does this as well, at least from what I know 1+ year back.

djchris

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken Bachelor of Commerce (Marketing & Management)? Please share your feedback on this.

To TS:
1) Course fees is 1.5k per module right? How many payments are the course fees divided into?
2) There's no degree course on Entrepreneurship right?

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm from the 23rd intake. And yes, course fee is 1.5k per module. Payment wise, you can choose to pay in full, or pay monthly to the bank or pay in 4 installments. And there's no degree on Entrepreneurship.

catinthesky

Reaction score
I just signed up with SMa for the Bachelor of Mass Communications. Will be starting class in Feb, doing bridging modules first.

Actually, I did an Adv. Dip in Mass Comms before, but apparently I still have to take some similar bridging modules with Murdoch before my semester starts. :s22: Each bridging module is S$500. Makes me wonder is it my Adv. Dip useless or it's just a way for the school to earn more money.

Anyway, am looking forward to starting school soon. Shall update my experience here later. :spin:

thepeak

Reaction score
hi catinthesky,

if u start in feb, did u already paid for the fees in full or thru installments? if so did the consultants there ask or tell you to pay a initial fee first to prevent a school fee increase latter?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.