SMa School of Management

spinelli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thepeak said:
hi systeo,

I juz called SMa today about the BCom from Murdoch. As a non-biz poly grad, they asked me to attend a bridging program for 8 modules. Wonder if you attended it before?

The time table quite stress, 3days complete 1 module then next wed take exam liao! Wonder how the passing rate is like for people without biz background & if is even possible to even learn enuff to latter go onto their 2nd & 3rd Yr with such weak concepts and understandings of biz :s11:

They also ask me to pay $500 before 31 Jan first to lock into the current degree course fee that will increase in 1 feb, dun knoe if its jus another $$$ making scheme to make me study with them or its realli true to help me save $? Wait come 1Feb course fee still same, then I pay $500 for nothing. :s31:

Some more must confirm march to start bridging course, 100% payback only if I withdraw before 60day course start, thats 2 mths, now to march also 2mths, looks like if i pay them i definitely must study with them or else $500 forfitted.:s8:

With all this issues unanswered, i feel so unsecured to start any program with them. Dun understand y got refer fren to make $, which established school like SIM, PSB or MDIS does that???
All looks like consultants and students making $ for and from SMa. :slant:

bro no worries lah.no sweat.i just completed 3/6 modules lolz.why you got 8 sia??!!

thepeak

Reaction score
yo bro spinelli,

can shed some light on the bridging program, is it easy to pass and understand the modules within a short 3 days? I doing 8 coz i plan to take the pro a/c. also if u dun mind, what is ur previous qualifications and any prior biz background? will it be difficult for non-biz students like me to catch up and understand???
tks.

monashnsri5

Reaction score
thepeak said:
yo bro spinelli,

can shed some light on the bridging program, is it easy to pass and understand the modules within a short 3 days? I doing 8 coz i plan to take the pro a/c. also if u dun mind, what is ur previous qualifications and any prior biz background? will it be difficult for non-biz students like me to catch up and understand???
tks.
Wassup Peak,

I got a couple of buddies who did their bridging liao. So far they said quite manageable. The subjects are well covered but not so in-depth. Its not necessary to do well, just pass can already, cos Murdoch doesn't take publish your bridging score in your transcript. Still everyone wants to do well cos they publish the scores on the notice board.

oberonick04

Reaction score
Hi all.

I am also seriously considering the Bachelor Of Mass Comm from Murdoch. It is either that or Uni of Newcastle via PSB Academy whose 7 bridging units are spread out evenly over 9 months. However, it is the extremely tight schedule of Murdoch's 6 bridging modules that is holding me back. Imagine, 3 lessons followed by a written exam each week for 1.5 months. *Shudder*
Anyone currently doing the "intensive" bridging course or have completed it got any words of advice? Much appreciated. :s11: :s31:

spinelli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thepeak said:
yo bro spinelli,

tks.

seriously,im speaking for myself cos i dun wanna later dua you :s13:

this last 3 modules i only like went for 35% of the lessons,close one eye pass all.got one still got HD(high distinction) :s13: so you say lei?like monashnsri5 said,just pass can le cos it wont appear on your transcript so why so pia?conserving my energies for the REAL one heh

spinelli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
btw if you guys got any questions,why dont you email them directly.i personally,no offence dun quite like systeo's style.somehow i feel there's a conflicts of interest isnt it?in any case,if any student is interested,at least spilt the fee.my colleagues also signed up the course after i did,my consultant is aware i was the one refering them to the school and offered to pay me.im honest enuff to tell my colleagues about the $$ and offered to split it.got money,everyone shares.no need so much,enuff to get back can le

lastly...there's poeple from SMa reading the posts here..trust me on this...

catinthesky

Reaction score
thepeak said:
hi catinthesky,

if u start in feb, did u already paid for the fees in full or thru installments? if so did the consultants there ask or tell you to pay a initial fee first to prevent a school fee increase latter?
Hi thepeak, I didn't pay the feels in full, I'm taking installments. I paid for all the bridging modules and 1st sem fees tog for my first payment. Not sure if this is considered the initial fee? I felt it's quite normal for schools to do that leh? Correct me if I'm wrong. =:p

catinthesky

Reaction score
oberonick04 said:
Hi all.

I am also seriously considering the Bachelor Of Mass Comm from Murdoch. It is either that or Uni of Newcastle via PSB Academy whose 7 bridging units are spread out evenly over 9 months. However, it is the extremely tight schedule of Murdoch's 6 bridging modules that is holding me back. Imagine, 3 lessons followed by a written exam each week for 1.5 months. *Shudder*
Anyone currently doing the "intensive" bridging course or have completed it got any words of advice? Much appreciated. :s11: :s31:
Hey! I am going to start Bach of Mass Comm from Murdoch soon! :) Ya, like what you said the bridging modules are almost one after another. :s31: I feel a bit apprehensive but trying not to stress myself even before I start. Somemore all this is on top of my busy work. Hmmm, let me get back to you next month how I'm coping, lol.

Oh and I did consider the Uni of Newcastle before, but I have the impression that uni is good for its engineering courses? So decided to take Murdoch instead cuz I've a few friends who actually study in Aussie there and said it's good.

Last edited:

thepeak

Reaction score
oberonick04 said:
Hi all.

I have to agree. 9mths seems abit more relax and much more fruitfull in the learning process.

even if lets say you manage to just pass 50/100 for all bridging papers just to move onto the 2nd yr, did what u learn realli sink into ur head?

did the lecturers cut short their modules and ignore the so call "less important areas" can concentrate on the "exam tips instead" jus so that you can pay for the more expensive modules in 2nd & 3rd yr?

clearing the bridging programe is like passing the uni entrance test with a $3000 fee incorporated. but does that mean u r ready for the 2nd yr after 1.5mths of intensive crash course? i guess it up to individual ability and their prior education background.

TRY ASKING AN ACCOUNTANT TO TAKE A LAYWER'S BAR EXAM after 1.5mths of crash course. They are both professionals and smart people and accounting got biz law but is it enuff to even consider as prior understanding??? its a totally new level guys.

then again, think of the time you can save 1.5mth vs 9mths. but will you survive the harder 2nd and 3rd yr and do you wish to remain passing 50/100 for all papers?

Bridging program is a entrance test to prove your learning ability and understanding of the particular degree you r to take on. it is also the very FOUNDATION that you will need to transit from your previously trainned areas like IT, ENG, DESIGN etc.

I dun mind passing the foudation with ease, but will it come back to haunt me when i am require to take class and exam on more indept modules in economics? having just passed and attended 35% of the class during bridging.

People with stronger foundation in biz from either poly or private dip will have it easy and keep answering the lecturer's questions & quizzes everytime in class while you have to keep copying down their answers on board and go home to digest other people's concept and understanding.

Last edited:

littlecreatures

Reaction score
i am a student of SMa School of Management. So far not too bad lei.... service quite good... and lecturers are quite experienced as well. I am in batch 29th Bachelor of Commerce double major in Marketing Management and Management offered by Murdoch University. :s7:

spinelli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
littlecreatures said:
i am a student of SMa School of Management. So far not too bad lei.... service quite good... and lecturers are quite experienced as well. I am in batch 29th Bachelor of Commerce double major in Marketing Management and Management offered by Murdoch University. :s7:

when did you start??

baby81984

Reaction score
thepeak said:
I have to agree. 9mths seems abit more relax and much more fruitfull in the learning process.

even if lets say you manage to just pass 50/100 for all bridging papers just to move onto the 2nd yr, did what u learn realli sink into ur head?

did the lecturers cut short their modules and ignore the so call "less important areas" can concentrate on the "exam tips instead" jus so that you can pay for the more expensive modules in 2nd & 3rd yr?

clearing the bridging programe is like passing the uni entrance test with a $3000 fee incorporated. but does that mean u r ready for the 2nd yr after 1.5mths of intensive crash course? i guess it up to individual ability and their prior education background.

TRY ASKING AN ACCOUNTANT TO TAKE A LAYWER'S BAR EXAM after 1.5mths of crash course. They are both professionals and smart people and accounting got biz law but is it enuff to even consider as prior understanding??? its a totally new level guys.

then again, think of the time you can save 1.5mth vs 9mths. but will you survive the harder 2nd and 3rd yr and do you wish to remain passing 50/100 for all papers?

Bridging program is a entrance test to prove your learning ability and understanding of the particular degree you r to take on. it is also the very FOUNDATION that you will need to transit from your previously trainned areas like IT, ENG, DESIGN etc.

I dun mind passing the foudation with ease, but will it come back to haunt me when i am require to take class and exam on more indept modules in economics? having just passed and attended 35% of the class during bridging.

People with stronger foundation in biz from either poly or private dip will have it easy and keep answering the lecturer's questions & quizzes everytime in class while you have to keep copying down their answers on board and go home to digest other people's concept and understanding.
hmmm.... somehow i dun think so leh... as in the passing 50/100 part... coz they keep telling mi bout this top graduate in their corhort whose in the vice-chancellor list... from what i heard, it seems as thou she's the top 2% of all taking the paper leh... pretty impressive... and it does seem as thou the materials and teaching quality is up to standard... otherwise, how come she can even win those on campus??!!

i haf to admit tt is a mega plus point... it does seem as thou if study real hard can really make it....

but i haven apply yet.... kinda lazy.... hahahah

monashnsri5

Reaction score
oberonick04 said:
Hi all.

I think the bridging schedule depends on the time you join... I think there's two batches of bridging, every two months. Saw the schedule my consultant passed to me. Yes its quite tight but if you choose to stagger your schedule i.e. do 3 subjects in one batch, and then another 3, then i think its okie. :)

Yes i'm also considering Newcastle, but the 9 months bridging is just too long liao... might as well do the mass comm dip by sma (10 mths nia). At least got diploma! In any case she told me I can start 2 bridging subjects in Feb first, then do the remaining 4 in march and april. Not so bad lah... :p

littlecreatures

Reaction score
spinelli said:
when did you start??
Helo Spinelli ! :s12: I just started the programme in Jan 07. I am taking 1 unit Organisational Theory and Behaviour taught by Mr frankie Yee. He is an excellent lecturer. :)

Th3Keeper

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
littlecreatures said:
Helo Spinelli ! :s12: I just started the programme in Jan 07. I am taking 1 unit Organisational Theory and Behaviour taught by Mr frankie Yee. He is an excellent lecturer. :)

Frankie is about one of the best lecturers there. The admin totally sucks thou and i am speaking from experience not hearsay

baby81984

Reaction score
Th3Keeper said:
Frankie is about one of the best lecturers there. The admin totally sucks thou and i am speaking from experience not hearsay
tt bad??!

but i heard the admin are very helpful when it comes to answering queries... got any questions can just call in to ask... i mean really anything at all... seems much more helpful then local unis if u ask mi.....

catinthesky

Reaction score
baby81984 said:
tt bad??!

but i heard the admin are very helpful when it comes to answering queries... got any questions can just call in to ask... i mean really anything at all... seems much more helpful then local unis if u ask mi.....
The admin is not bad so far, though I've only encounter with them two weeks? On the first day of my class, they printed all the wrong notes for us (But lecturer said it was his fault) and one of the admin lady came in and apologise to us. I thought that was quite nice of them.

catinthesky

Reaction score
Th3Keeper said:
Frankie Yee sounds familiar. He use to teach at TMC? Is he a Mass Comms lecturer?

spinelli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
littlecreatures said:

wow diff from my batch....

anyway im damn pissed now.they said i must take the principles of accounting bridging modules.knn i took PA for 3 years in sec sch.and also passed that module in my dip in BA from PSB.still got to take??!!i tot the standard diff or what so lan lan take.then all they taught are so simple i tried damn hard not to doze off!!balance sheet la,double entry la,income statement lah,all these i must have done a thousand times!!i wanna complain to them liao!!

Th3Keeper

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
baby81984 said:
tt bad??!

That is BEFORE you signed up with them,
Try AFTER.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.