HoNg KoNg TrIp...Hooray!!~~

qqspot

Reaction score
ABOUT DIM SUM

Kowloon

The Chinese CANTONESE -- A refined, modern, and fancy setting for dim sum, with correspondingly high prices. There are no trolleys here, but there's a dim sum menu with about 20 different offerings.

In the Hyatt Regency Hotel, 67 Nathan Rd., Tsim Sha Tsui. tel. 852/2311 1234, ext. 2881. www.hongkong.regency.hyatt.com. Dim sum HK$28-HK$48 (US$3.65-US$6.25). AE, DC, MC, V. Mon-Sat 11:30am-2:45pm and Sun 10:30am-2:45pm, for dim sum. MTR: Tsim Sha Tsui.

City Chiuchow Restaurant CHIU CHOW -- Although it's a Chiu Chow restaurant, this place serves its own dim sum, which is not too surprising if you consider that Chiu Chow food has been greatly influenced by Cantonese food.

East Ocean Centre, 98 Granville Rd., Tsim Sha Tsui East. tel. 852/2723 6226. Dim sum HK$16-HK$25 (US$2.10-US$3.25). AE, DC, MC, V. Daily 11am-4pm for dim sum. MTR: Tsim Sha Tsui.

Fook Lam Moon CANTONESE -- This is a Hong Kong old-timer, with an atmosphere that is reminiscent of an earlier era. There aren't any trolleys here, however -- just a Chinese menu. Ask an English-speaking waiter for translations.

53-59 Kimberley Rd., Tsim Sha Tsui. tel. 852/2366 0286. www.fooklammoon-grp.com. Dim sum HK$30-HK$60 (US$3.90-US$7.80). AE, DC, MC, V. Daily 11:30am-2:30pm, for dim sum. MTR: Tsim Sha Tsui.

Hutong CANTONESE -- Great views of the harbor and creative dim sum is what you get at this hip venue. Expect the likes of steamed lamb dumpling instead of pork, with about eight different kinds of dim sum that change monthly. This place is pricey, but worth it.

1 Peking Rd. (28th floor), Tsim Sha Tsui. tel. 852/3428 8342. www.aqua.com.hk. Dim sum HK$68-HK$88 (US$8.85-US$11). AE, DC, MC, V. Mon-Sat 11am-3pm, Sun and holidays 10am-3pm, for dim sum. MTR: Tsim Sha Tsui.

Jade Garden Chinese Restaurant CANTONESE -- An easy place for the uninitiated, this Cantonese chain is tourist-friendly and conveniently situated across from the Star Ferry terminus. It offers views of Victoria Harbour and trolleys of dim sum, as well as an English menu. You can save money by dining after 2:30pm on weekdays, when most dim sum costs only HK$11 (US$1.45). There's another branch at 25-31 Carnarvon Rd. (tel. 852/2369 8311; MTR: Tsim Sha Tsui), serving dim sum daily from 7:30am to 5pm.

Star House (4th floor), 3 Salisbury Rd., Tsim Sha Tsui. tel. 852/2730 6888. Dim sum HK$16-HK$36 (US$2.10-US$4.70). AE, DC, MC, V. Mon-Sat 11am-5pm, Sun and holidays 10am-5pm, for dim sum. MTR: Tsim Sha Tsui.

Serenade Chinese Restaurant CANONTESE -- This is my top choice for inexpensive dim sum with a view in Tsim Sha Tsui. Located up on the first floor of the Hong Kong Cultural Centre, next to the Star Ferry, it offers views of Victoria Harbour and dim sum served from trolleys. Bright and cheerful, it's more upmarket than some but more casual than hotel restaurants.

Hong Kong Cultural Centre (1st floor), Restaurant Block, Salisbury Rd., Tsim Sha Tsui. tel. 852/2722 0932. Dim sum HK$28-HK$40 (US$3.65-US$5.20). AE, DC, MC, V. Mon-Fri 11am-4:30pm, Sat-Sun and holidays 9am-4:30pm, for dim sum. MTR: Tsim Sha Tsui.

Shang Palace CANTONESE -- One of Kowloon's most elaborate Chinese restaurants comes complete with red-lacquered walls and Chinese lanterns hanging from the ceiling. Because it provides a menu in English, this is a great place to try dim sum for the first time, not to mention the fact that its dim sum is among the best in town -- a bit more expensive, but worth it. Choose your dim sum from the menu, which changes every 2 weeks and always includes more than a dozen varieties.

In the Shangri-La Hotel, 64 Mody Rd., Tsim Sha Tsui East. tel. 852/2733 8754. Dim sum HK$30-HK$38 (US$3.90-US$4.95). AE, DC, MC, V. Mon-Sat noon-3pm, Sun and holidays 10:30am-3pm, for dim sum. MTR: Tsim Sha Tsui.

Spring Moon CANTONESE -- As you'd expect from a restaurant in the venerable Peninsula hotel, this is a very refined and civilized place for the humble dim sum, with an English menu that lists more than a dozen dim sum and more than two dozen varieties of Chinese teas available for lunch. In addition, from 3 to 4:30pm, there's a Chinese version of the British afternoon tea, with a fixed-price menu for dim sum and tea (HK$165/US$21). The restaurant is decorated in an Art Deco style reminiscent of how the restaurant would have looked in 1928, the year The Peninsula opened, with cuisine that changes with the season.

In The Peninsula hotel, Salisbury Rd., Tsim Sha Tsui. tel. 852/2920 2888. www.peninsula.com. Dim sum HK$38 (US$4.95). AE, DC, MC, V. Daily 11:30am-2:30pm, for dim sum. MTR: Tsim Sha Tsui.

Super Star Seafood Restaurant CANTONESE/SEAFOOD -- This lively and popular seafood restaurant, filled with locals, is one of Tsim Sha Tsui's best places for trying authentic dim sum in a typical Chinese setting. There's no English menu, so you'll just have to look at the offerings on the various trolleys.

83-97 Nathan Rd., Tsim Sha Tsui. tel. 852/2366 0878. Dim sum HK$15-HK$38 (US$1.95-US$4.95). AE, DC, MC, V. Mon-Fri 10:30am-4:30pm, Sat-Sun 9:30am-4:30pm, for dim sum. MTR: Tsim Sha Tsui.

Tsui Hang Village Restaurant CANTONESE -- Tsui Hang Village, a modern restaurant located in a shopping complex across from the Miramar Hotel, offers inexpensive plates of dim sum. There's a branch across the harbor on the second floor of the New World Tower, 16-18 Queen's Rd., Central (tel. 852/2524 2012; MTR: Central), serving dim sum Saturday from 11am to 5pm and Sunday and holidays from 10am to 5pm.

Miramar Plaza, 1 Kimberley Rd., Tsim Sha Tsui. tel. 852/2368 6363. www.Miramar-group.com. Dim sum HK$18-HK$38 (US$2.35-US$4.95). AE, MC, V. Mon-Sat 11:30am-5pm, Sun and holidays 10am-5pm, for dim sum. MTR: Tsim Sha Tsui.

Yan Toh Heen CANTONESE -- One of Hong Kong's top Cantonese eateries, this elegant restaurant with large windows treats diners to views of the harbor. A daily changing menu offers about two dozen varieties of dim sum.

In the InterContinental Hong Kong, 18 Salisbury Rd., Tsim Sha Tsui. tel. 852/2721 1211. www.hongkong-ic.intercontinental.com. Dim sum HK$38-HK$60 (US$4.95-US$7.80). AE, DC, MC, V. Mon-Sat noon-2:30pm, Sun and holidays 11:30am-3:30pm, for dim sum. MTR: Tsim Sha Tsui.

Central

Luk Yu Tea House CANTONESE -- The most authentic dim sum teahouse in Hong Kong is often so packed with regulars that mere tourists can't get a seat. Furthermore, trolleys with dim sum are pushed through the place only until 11am, after which there's only a Chinese menu. Yet it's worth the effort to come here; try to bring along a Chinese friend to help you with your selections.

24-26 Stanley St., Central. tel. 852/2523 5464. Dim sum HK$25-HK$55 (US$3.25-US$7.15). MC, V. Daily 7am-5:30pm for dim sum. MTR: Central.

Maxim's Palace CANTONESE -- There's no better place for cheap dim sum than this enormously popular restaurant, located on the second floor of City Hall just a stone's throw from the Star Ferry. A recent refurbishment has put some unfortunate glaze on the windows, blocking the once-fabled views of the harbor (we can only hope it's temporary), but it's still a lively place to choose dim sum from trolleys, plus there's an English menu with photos and prices. It doesn't get much easier than this.

Low Block, City Hall, Connaught Road Central and Edinburgh Place. tel. 852/2526 9931. Dim sum HK$17-HK$29 (US$2.20-US$3.75). AE, DC, MC, V. Daily Mon-Sat 11am-3pm, Sun and holidays 9am-3pm, for dim sum. MTR: Central.

The Square CANTONESE -- This smartly decorated restaurant, next to Hong Kong Station and ifc mall, offers only a dozen or so dim sum choices on weekdays but a greatly expanded dim sum menu on weekends and holidays. The restaurant is renowned for its steamed lobster dumplings and egg tarts with bird's nest, but even the humble steamed barbecued pork buns here are among the best I've had. Try to reserve a window seat from which you can watch the Star Ferry as it comes and goes from the Central pier (but note that it's in the smoking section).

Exchange Square II, Central. tel. 852/2525 1163. Dim sum HK$16-HK$58 (US$2.10-US$7.55). AE, DC, MC, V. Daily 11am-3pm, for dim sum. MTR: Central.

Zen Chinese CANTONESE -- Starkly modern and hip, this Cantonese restaurant offers dim sum daily from an English menu, with more varieties available on the weekend.

The Mall, Pacific Place, 88 Queensway, Central. tel. 852/2845 4555. Dim sum HK$30-HK$55 (US$3.85-US$7.05). AE, DC, MC, V. Mon-Fri 11:30am-3pm, Sat 11:30am-5pm, Sun 10:30am-5pm, for dim sum. MTR: Admiralty.

Wan Chai

Fook Lam Moon CANTONESE -- This branch of the well-known expensive Cantonese restaurant offers dim sum from a Chinese menu only (no trolleys). Ask an English-speaking waiter for translations.

35-45 Johnston Rd., Wan Chai. tel. 852/2866 0663. Dim sum HK$30-HK$60 (US$3.90-US$7.80). AE, DC, MC, V. Daily 11:30am-2:30pm. MTR: Wan Chai.

rage05

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of return ticket to Hong Kong (Jetstar Asia)

Departing From Singapore to Hong Kong Sat 12 May 2007
Departing From Hong Kong back to Singapore Sat 19 May 2007

Want to sell the pair of ticket at $450; interested parties please leave me a PM. :)

Last edited:

ntuc

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, can recommend a hotel which u think good? Budget is around $160 per night per room. I got 2 in mind. One is metropark hotel in casueway bay and another is majestic hotel in yau ma tei. r they decent? any other suggestion? kimberly is full.

qqspot

Reaction score
ntuc said:
Hi, can recommend a hotel which u think good? Budget is around $160 per night per room. I got 2 in mind. One is metropark hotel in casueway bay and another is majestic hotel in yau ma tei. r they decent? any other suggestion? kimberly is full.
Hello ntuc, did you read here? Hope i can help.
http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showpost.php?p=22800626&postcount=1183

Some HWZ had aready went there before...

superman2006

Banned
Reaction score
Hi guys, will be going to HK in April soon. I intended to purchase a mobile and a PSP down there, and i wonder buying from hk cheaper? Or local? Down here:s11:

rage05

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
rage05 said:
I have a pair of return ticket to Hong Kong (Jetstar Asia)

Departing From Singapore to Hong Kong Sat 12 May 2007
Departing From Hong Kong back to Singapore Sat 19 May 2007

Want to sell the pair of ticket at $450; interested parties please leave me a PM. :)
Anybody for a great deal? :)

Last edited:

kenloonglow

Reaction score
superman2006 said:
Hi guys, will be going to HK in April soon. I intended to purchase a mobile and a PSP down there, and i wonder buying from hk cheaper? Or local? Down here:s11:

Do consider the WARRANTY hor. If spoilt, how ? :s16:

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
kenloonglow said:
Do consider the WARRANTY hor. If spoilt, how ? :s16:

handphone - cheaper or not - depends on what model. the cheaper ones tend to be water goods (export set) those with warranty not much difference. the japanese export sets tend to be cheaper - have to check if modification charges included. go to sin tat building at mongkok. there's lots of dealers there.

psp - prices are about there or slightly cheaper. imho difference not worth while to buy there.

kenloonglow

Reaction score
Halo all, i m back from my HK 5D4N trip few weeks ago. :p

My wife & me eat 許留山 dessert everyday from 2nd day, really cant resist (also to use their toilet :X).
Find that their MTR no public toilet like our MRT, abit hard to find clean toilets (esp my wife), some building/shopping center even lock the toilet for tenant only :(

Overall is enjoyable, my wife bought a lot of funny brands from Manning (Guardian), Watsons. Pengz!

If u want to eat dim sum, remember to go on weekday. Yeah, bring my wife to eat "fun dim sum" at Serenade Chinese Restaurant @ HK Cultural Ctr. Some restaurant no service charge. :D

Not like SG, their KFC morning sell breakfast set.

Personally, I dun like to buy things from those street (Ladies St, Temple St etc), always need to bargain (always start with killing price), and sometime bargain till face red-red (esp those lady seller), rude rude one, no smily face.

Walking on the street...suck alot of 2nd smoke, heavy smokers.

v1hypersg

Reaction score
want to go to hk for free and easy,

can anyone advise which airline is the cheapest, don't want jet star, and what is the depart sin timing and depart hkg timing

kewellz

Reaction score
v1hypersg said:

can anyone advise which airline is the cheapest, don't want jet star, and what is the depart sin timing and depart hkg timing
I feel if you want to save money as much as possible and dont mind the airlines u would be taking. Take United Airlines... UA has 6.45am(If i didnt forget) departure time daily and u can take the night plane back to SG too. around $280 per pax excluding surcharges.

kenloonglow

Reaction score
kewellz said:
I feel if you want to save money as much as possible and dont mind the airlines u would be taking. Take United Airlines... UA has 6.45am(If i didnt forget) departure time daily and u can take the night plane back to SG too. around $280 per pax excluding surcharges.

UA got so cheap meh? Few weeks ago, I take UA, $700 + $200 tax for 2 pax.
Thought JetStart cheaper.

howller

Reaction score
ya lor, UA i went to chk a few days back, no haf 200+ pax leh.. >.<

Wana ask.. Dragon Hostel good a nt??
Thinking of lodging there..

qqspot

Reaction score
kenloonglow said:
UA got so cheap meh? Few weeks ago, I take UA, $700 + $200 tax for 2 pax.
Thought JetStart cheaper.
I think you Overpaid aready...
If you flying 2 person you should take SQ 2 to go...

qqspot

Reaction score
v1hypersg said:

Take UA or CX
If you are traveling by 2 person then take SQ

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.