SMa School of Management

galant22

Master Member
Reaction score
chemz said:
sometimes i don't know how to discern between credible posts and sheer propaganda judging by the number of new/recent registrants posting actively in this thread.
well i think the best is to go down and have a look

supertube

Reaction score
galant22 said:
well i think the best is to go down and have a look

>>Originally Posted by chemz
sometimes i don't know how to discern between credible posts and sheer propaganda judging by the number of new/recent registrants posting actively in this thread.

I agree with you. Hmm, I wonder if you are referring to me :)

Anyway, like i said, any qns u can PM me. Yes the best way is to go down have a look and speak with the consultant yourself. However, it may just be a front. Of course their service will be good at first. But after you enrolled, you are transferred to the program exec or manager. That is when the real test starts.

galant22

Master Member
Reaction score
thunderbirdmax said:
Hi all, i am looking to sign up for degree programme with sma. i visited the place yesterday evening. it has quite a professional looking school.

its very interesting with all these stories i read. clinton n lewinsky..whoa.
but end of the day, i just want to know if

1) sma a reputable school ? - i need to spend $20,000 to study

2) is the university degree recognized ? - i check on murdoch university, the sales staff told me even dr tony tan is one of murdcho university graduates. is there any way to verify

murdoch students, please be kind enough to enlighten us..

many thanks

with reference to your Q1, school reputable or not aint impt, the most impt is whether u put in effort or not. i studied UOW at informatics, an infamous school u all should know for wat reasons. yet i managed to get 2nd upper. wat does that mean?
lousy school doesnt mean lousy results. its the student himself that matters!!

Q2, degree recognised or not is dependent on ur employer, if the employer dun like nus, u 1st class HON from nus oso no use. for me, my uow has gotten me into my current heavily-gov-linked job. hope this says something about the uni the degreee is from.

galant22

Master Member
Reaction score
thepeak said:
Hope this will excite you?!? Since systeo and natt aren't replying to your excitement, so i will just have to, with the info others are providing me.

The so call new campus is being used by Hartford Institute right now.

Hartford will being moving to a newly refurbished full fledge campus at 99 beach road, the former Central Police Station by March 2007. So by May is quite possible, if no large renovations and refurbishing is done.

http://www.streetdirectory.com/asia_travel/travel/travel.php?travel_id=1&travel_site=14665

But sad to say, when SMa students do move to the new campus its already a 3rd/4th hand campus used by other schools, coz before Hartford, U21Global was using the premises and maybe some other school before that ?!?

1st level will be a sales and admin office, 4th and 5th classrooms for SMa.

2nd is a travel agency, 3rd, a survey company and 6th cosmic insurance.

Since the so call new campus has already been converted into classrooms, offices and libraries by previous tenants and wireless network setup, there would not be much renovation or improvements needed by SMa when they occupy it. Most likely, they just buy over the current fixtures and fittings.

I suggest that Current and Potential students should go down to the new campus and checkout and remember the classrooms sizes and surroundings.

See if you like studying there and VERIFY latter on if SMa really did any renovations which Natt claims to be busy working on, or just some minor painting, changing of furnitures and pinning up of SMa posters.

New SMa Campus:

410 North Bridge Road
Cosmic Insurance Building
Singapore 188726

http://www.streetdirectory.com/asia_travel/travel/travel.php?travel_id=1967&travel_site=13720

Well its still a commercial building after all, so I dun think there will be many large outdoor/in-campus activity that can be carried out, even if SMa wants/plans to. Unlike full fledge campuses which have land mass to spare.

SMa students can also ask their lecturer Mr Frankie Yee about the new campus overall feeling since he is doing his DBA there now.

I have never been there personally but judging from that fact that since there were so many Schools before SMa are moving out of the premises to a larger and convinent location, how good a place can it be?

Besides, unless SMa plans to locate there for years to come and is willing to spend $$$ to totally refurbish and redesign the premises. which i doubt so, as it doesn't make economic sense, since the building is not theirs and it would be a waste of $$$ if the landlord increases rent in the future and they plan to relocate again.

I guess it up to you guys to decide and judge for yourself.

Thanks for PM-ing me the above info guys, at least i can now enlighten catinthesky and others abit. Hehe:D

i dun see the point of u keep mentioning the PMs you've received. just like we do not know if systeo is indeed the gm of the school, how can we verify that u indeed had all those PMs? like the rest of edmw oways say, NPNT or in this case, No Proof No Talk.

i suggest u produce the proof to show us your credibility.

galant22

Master Member
Reaction score
bigrockshow said:
hey people...sorry to interrupt the war thats going on..i just needed to get some feedbacks from people who have been "there".

i'm contemplating to take a part-time sales & marketing or marketing diploma..hopefully followed by a degree. schools thats i've checked up on a SMA and PSB and MDIS. i guess the only two choices are SMA and PSB as they do not have the minimum attendance requirements.

Now is the big difference...PSB is 70% exams 30% assignments while SMA is 60% exams 40% assignments...

Can anyone enlighten me which is more advisable? will i be able to cope since the SMA weightage is so much for significant?

PSB route to degree is dip->adv dip-> DEGREE (estimated $23k in total)

SMA route to degree is dip -> degree(estimated $18k total based on $1.5k per module for 12 modules)

All helpful comments and advises are totally appreciated!!

regarding the exam weightage, depends on whether u're an exam person or hands-on person lor. for me, i prefer assignments more than exams. hope this helps.

bigrockshow

Master Member
Reaction score
thats true..but then your putting your grades into people's hands.. i mean a assignment cant be done by one person but by a collective group of people... sway sway get the groups who dun give 2 hoots cos "mummy says i have to study so i study lor" kinda attitude...thats it man..

any way when is SMA moving? this affects my decisions too...becos its out of the way at north bridge road.. le meridien hotel is still ok?

Th3Keeper

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
supertube said:
hi,

to be fair, I must say that the consultant did reply to my questions. But this was after only 4 days of chasing and calling her. She was always and so I left my my number and asked her to return my calls. She did not.

Finally, I called her and got her. I was really fired up and was very firm and harsh (not vulgar or abusive) in saying that their admin leaves much to be desired. In the end she helped me to called the university for some verification.

I mean, why must they wait till people are frustrated then they start working. Bottomline is, I feel they don't care about students. To me, this is very important because I hate to be treated like a commodity

I AM a current student FYI.
I have made an open invitation to EVERYONE here. Whoever who might drop by that school can contact me and you guys can talk to my classmates ! Is this credible enough?

rustyarm

Reaction score
I can be considered a current student there too... doing bridging with them now... service wise same experience, before enrolment excellent, kept calling you and update you. After enrolment, no more liao... moreover the consultant that engaged me initially left the company, i called to infd them, they say will re-assigned, till now no news... and best part is my bridging test postphoned, all my friends received update via sms but i did not... something is very wrong with the admin system there, very very wrong... someone better do something about it.

Th3Keeper

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Told u guys the admin simply suxs :) Why do u think more thn 15 of my batch of the dip class is leaving to do the degree elsewhere? Most of us going to SIM RMIT , PSB Uni of Newcastle and APMI National Uni of Ireland

Th3Keeper

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
bigrockshow said:
thats true..but then your putting your grades into people's hands.. i mean a assignment cant be done by one person but by a collective group of people... sway sway get the groups who dun give 2 hoots cos "mummy says i have to study so i study lor" kinda attitude...thats it man..

any way when is SMA moving? this affects my decisions too...becos its out of the way at north bridge road.. le meridien hotel is still ok?

This MAY/JUNE

rustyarm

Reaction score
is there anyway to bring up the matter higher to their management? I had attended classes at PSB before, SMa is way below them...way way below...

saigonblack

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Coming from the education industry, let's just say you have better choices...

pessimist

Master Member
Reaction score
any current SMa student still around?
pm me to discuss the referral fee thingy. :o
I'm planning to sign for degree course. :)

Weddguy82

Reaction score
I went down to SMA today. Service sux big time..

Havent even get to ask them abt the course, they simply push me the application form and ask mi to fill it in when i was at the counter.

They are buzy entertaining students referral which i overheard abt wad commission, blah blah..****

Then tell insisted that SMA-Murdoch Bcomm in HR is better than SHRI-Curtin. Show me plenty of outdated uni ranking of Australia website which ranked Murdoch higher than Curtin..

Haiz...

They are only interested in your money..And they keep askin student to take bridgin units..
Puke..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.