Pioneer Plasma Thread

petetherock

Reaction score
Hi
I hope owners can shar their info, prices and wisdom, so others looking for this brand can learn, and decide for themselves if this panel is worth the price premium.

I include some pics and links which I will add more as I get more details:

The first few are BR discs shots at 1080p 24fps, the last is a XA2 shot

PS3_1080p.jpg

PS3_1080p_2.jpg

PS3_1080p_3.jpg

XA2_1080i_HD_DVD.jpg

I paid <4.8k as a display demo unit (4 days old) from the PC Show

petetherock

Reaction score

wuga98

Reaction score
pete: good stuff, does the pioneer in sg honor the warranty if we buy this set from UK?. The website quoted ~2700 pounds, which i think will be very much cheaper than SG. Thanks.

petetherock said:
For those waiting for the new model which is released in US and to be released in UK:

Check this out:

http://blog.homecinemachoice.com/page/homecinemachoice?entry=pioneer_pdp_508xd_web_exclusive

"the set carries three HDMI inputs, all compatible with the ‘CEC’ industry standard for cross-kit interoperability, and all capable of handling 1080p in its 50Hz, 60Hz and 24fps incarnations."
modify_inline.gif

petetherock

Reaction score
Bro when you have figured that you actually want to do it and figure out if you want to do this expense, then lets talk after :)

wuga98 said:
pete: good stuff, does the pioneer in sg honor the warranty if we buy this set from UK?. The website quoted ~2700 pounds, which i think will be very much cheaper than SG. Thanks.

iMbEst

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wuga98 said:

dun think it's a problem, it's the $$$ problem :s22: :s22:

they will want you to pay a 3-5 years kind of premium warranty, which may end up more expensive than buying from them locally :s13: aiya, there is no free lunch, you want something from them, you must PAY for it.....dun forget, this is SG.....

petetherock, you really got a great deal menz.....

Did they talk about the major improvement for the 8th generation plasma? besides having those not so critical video input support, would the 8th generation really a solid and burnt mark free panel?

I believe your 507 is still quite prone to burnt mark.....:(

Last edited:

petetherock

Reaction score
Panels are much cheaper in US, Oz and other places, but shipping a 30-40kg fragile item with a large piece of glass... well go figure.(eg a Pioneer 507 in Sydney with a HD TV tuner is going for S$4.8k or less plus 5 yrs warranty)

Panels are not value for money. CRTs are. Those brands in NTUC, Giant etc are good for modest budget. If you are serious about your plasmas, then decide on a brand for its image quality, and whether it has the features to meet your requirements.
Like an old Chivas Regal ad, 'if you need to know the price, watch the scenery'
No offence, but Pioneers are not VFM. And flying or shipping a panel is no mean time and no point speculating.

Sorry bro, just doing a reality check.

Last edited:

blackslayer

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
petetherock said:
Way to go bro,

How much and where
There is an owner thread here with settings, tips and run-in etc:

You can sign in and add yourself to the list of owners

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=45450.0
Oh 3199 at liang court audio house and the pioneer guys who came over my hse to set up really dman professional. nt rude at all.handle stuffs with care. thanks for giving me the link!

petetherock

Reaction score
Some settings for SD TV

PICTURE
USER
CONTRAST 30
BRIGHTNESS +1
COLOUR -10(COLOUR SPACE 2)
TINT 0
SHARPNESS -4(I PREFER +2)

PRO ADJUST >COLOUR DETAIL > COLOUR TEMP
MANUAL
R DR +2
G DR 0
B DR -2
R CUT 0
G CUT +1
B CUT 0

COLOUR DETAIL

R -3
Y -2
G 0
C -4
B 0
M +2

GAMMA 2

EVERYTHING ELSE NR/DRE/CTI/ETC OFF

petetherock

Reaction score
Service menu - check the number of hours used

In case you have not managed to do this
The sequence is
1 - make sure the TV is on standby
2 - press and hold the info button for THREE Secs - top right button
3 - left, up, left right
4 - On

The number of hours used is on the 3rd screen, scroll down with the Down button

** IF YOU ARE NOT FAMILAR WITH TWEAKING, AVOID CHANGING ANY OF THE SETTING!! **
modify_inline.gif

petetherock

Reaction score
As for prices, try SLS eg Merdeka for prices which are usually much lower than the big stores
Or Look about Adelphi

petetherock

Reaction score
8G prices in Oz

Pricing, confirmed as follows.

$5299 RRP on the 50" 1366x768 Kuro.
$7995 RRP on the 50" 1920x1080 Kuro.
$9995 RRP on the 60" 1920x1080 Kuro.

These are AUS $ and considering a 507 costs Aus 3800, we should see a 20-30% mark up on these prices comapred to Oz.

Panels for general release in about 2 weeks over there

The COMEX may be a place for selling off the older panels, but I don't expect a big drop in case some are expecting silly prices.

Pioneers are not cheap

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.