Vietnam

lestervan

Reaction score
woot, seem like you know vietnam quite well! u working there or got gf there? :D

last week got storm in the middle of vietnam thats why got flood in DaNang lor. But no more already, I going back next week too, hope no rain also to take a trip.

buzzmario

Reaction score
hihi

lestervan said:
woot, seem like you know vietnam quite well! u working there or got gf there? :D

last week got storm in the middle of vietnam thats why got flood in DaNang lor. But no more already, I going back next week too, hope no rain also to take a trip.

hi, plan to bring my wife and 3 year old kid to vietnam. mabe 4 day 3 night. which part of viatnam your recom? perfer not to hectic places. Also any good hotel that is suitable for family one? This trip i perfar more a relax one , hopefully bnot spending too much time shopping.

Check with jet star which will cost my family of 3 SSin$750 for to and reture fare so how much will a mid range hotel cost?

thanks

saigonblack

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
buzzmario said:
hi, plan to bring my wife and 3 year old kid to vietnam. mabe 4 day 3 night. which part of viatnam your recom? perfer not to hectic places. Also any good hotel that is suitable for family one? This trip i perfar more a relax one , hopefully bnot spending too much time shopping.

Check with jet star which will cost my family of 3 SSin$750 for to and reture fare so how much will a mid range hotel cost?

thanks

U can try visiting HCMC and stay in District 1. Many hotels that are pretty upmarket there like Rex hotel etc. Also many places to visit there. One place to eat there is this alfresco restaurant there call Quan Ngon that is very cheap but looks real classy and food is very good. I will upload some pictures for u if u want when im back home.

Personally i stayed at a cheap budget hotel just 10seconds across the road from Ben Thanh market for easy accessibility to all places there. Shoppings, restaurants are all accessible from there. I also took a ferry to Vung Tau from there and visited the status of the big Jesus overlooknig the sea high on top of the hill (similar to the one in Rio de Janeiro) and stayed there a day at the beach there.

Have fun!

tunge80

Reaction score
Just got back from HCMC yesterday, n starting to miss the place for the cheap and yummy food and shopping! But the traffic is really bad man... jay walking is a must, very few traffic lights and zebra crossings r useless cos vehicles don't stop for u, for e first time, try to follow the locals, when i get get the hang of it just do it, the bikes usually will slow down when they see u.

some tips from me... take cabs which go by meter, it's much cheaper. look out for white color cab w number 6.27.27.27 is one of them.

Massage go for a nice decent one cost around 120K -150K Dong. anything cheaper than that is suspicous, we got conned twice, tried to give us "masseuse" that don't know nuts abt massaging.

book day tours from Sinhcafe, website alr given here, then ask them where to get massage they recommended me one very good place w 10% discount, only 140K Dong.

Cu Chi tunnel half day tour is really interesting. The Mekong delta day tour is ok, for the experience.

Change money at the jewellary shops around the Ben than market area. as of yesterday 1SGD = 10900 Dong/ 1.49 USD. Bank rates are good too.

Pho (Noodles) is yummy, restaurant Pho99 is a good place to have Pho. Pho24 also not bad.

Vietnam T-shirt 20K-30K Dong
Addidas Tops 70-80K Dong

There's a shop at the Ben Than night market that sells really nice jackets (looks really authentic) it's by the side alley in one of the shop houses.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

buzzmario

Reaction score
tunge80 said:
Just got back from HCMC yesterday, n starting to miss the place for the cheap and yummy food and shopping! But the traffic is really bad man... jay walking is a must, very few traffic lights and zebra crossings r useless cos vehicles don't stop for u, for e first time, try to follow the locals, when i get get the hang of it just do it, the bikes usually will slow down when they see u.

some tips from me... take cabs which go by meter, it's much cheaper. look out for white color cab w number 6.27.27.27 is one of them.

Massage go for a nice decent one cost around 120K -150K Dong. anything cheaper than that is suspicous, we got conned twice, tried to give us "masseuse" that don't know nuts abt massaging.

book day tours from Sinhcafe, website alr given here, then ask them where to get massage they recommended me one very good place w 10% discount, only 140K Dong.

Cu Chi tunnel half day tour is really interesting. The Mekong delta day tour is ok, for the experience.

Change money at the jewellary shops around the Ben than market area. as of yesterday 1SGD = 10900 Dong/ 1.49 USD. Bank rates are good too.

Pho (Noodles) is yummy, restaurant Pho99 is a good place to have Pho. Pho24 also not bad.

Addidas Tops 70-80K Dong

There's a shop at the Ben Than night market that sells really nice jackets (looks really authentic) it's by the side alley in one of the shop houses.

Enjoy!

is 5 day 4 night in HCMC too long, can get to another place? but need to consider that my 3 year old tadding along.

saigonblack

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
buzzmario said:
is 5 day 4 night in HCMC too long, can get to another place? but need to consider that my 3 year old tadding along.

Hmm i would have thoughts its pretty long, unless u have everything planned out before u even land in HCM.

buzzmario

Reaction score
Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City

if going to Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, how many days need? how are the travel between this two city?

absoluthal

Reaction score
saigonblack said:
Hmm i would have thoughts its pretty long, unless u have everything planned out before u even land in HCM.

im going there for 5 nights...
but still no plans wat to do there....
mebbe arrange 2 days for tours....
but wat abt the rest of the days?
can anyone give suggestions??

buzzmario

Reaction score
absoluthal said:
im going there for 5 nights...
but still no plans wat to do there....
mebbe arrange 2 days for tours....
but wat abt the rest of the days?
can anyone give suggestions??

care to tell which air company you taking?

hotel tou book on line? which wed site

jqpooling

Reaction score
tunge80 said:

Addidas Tops 70-80K Dong

Enjoy!
so shouldnt change money in singapore? change a little of dong? the bulk change in jewelly shops and banks in vietnam?? later attract attaction from strangers.....?

absoluthal

Reaction score
buzzmario said:
care to tell which air company you taking?

hotel tou book on line? which wed site

taking jetstar asia............
hotel not book yet.
still searching for the cheapest deal..........

lestervan

Reaction score
You can go Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh City, I dun know much about Hanoi so just say about HCMC.

Normally no need to book for hotels, just go to Ben Thanh market, walk around and get one hotel. but u got a cute child so I think better book in advance for free mind, can try this one: http://www.ananhotel.com/ (25 USD per night), cheaper one: http://www.lucysaigon.com (16 - 20USD per night), cheapest ones try http://www.hostelbookers.com, look for the one near Ben Thanh market. The 2 hotels above I often recommend for my friends when they go to Vietnam. First one nearer to Ben Thanh Market than the second one. Btw, high-class hotels can find here: http://traveltovietnam.com/

For a relax trip and not-much-shopping, I think just stay in HCMC first day, first night, second day, then take a tour to somewhere else. Can try Vung Tau beach (2 hours going by bus) as saigonblack said above, its near to HCMC. Nicer but further place is Mui Ne beach (Phan Thiet City) (4 hours going by bus). If dun want beach, then can try Da Lat City (4 hours by bus), chill and peaceful place, but this one, normal tours take 4D3N, so I think u should plan 6D5N in Vietnam. No more place to recommend within ur time budget.

For booking tours in Vietnam, can try: http://www.sinhcafevn.com/ (my friends often book here)

if wanna go both HCMC and Hanoi, can try book from Sin to HCMC, enjoy HCMC, fly to Hanoi (can go by train but takes 1 or 2 days to Hanoi), then fly back to to Sin. I think should have at least 5 nights in Vietnam. Btw, Hanoi is turning cold this season, so prepare clothes if u plan to go there. Same if you go Da Lat.

currently Sing Air got promotion $198 + $124 [tax] for a return ticket ( 2 persons go same days ), which period I am not very sure, can ask them.

Hope it helps. And enjoy! Btw I going back vietnam from 25 Oct to 5 Nov. If u guys go there this time, I am willing to help if needed. Dun worry I do not charge haha.

Last edited:

lestervan

Reaction score
jqpooling said:
so shouldnt change money in singapore? change a little of dong? the bulk change in jewelly shops and banks in vietnam?? later attract attaction from strangers.....?
no need to change to VND in singapore, change a little about 50SGD @ Tan Son Nhat Airport, then if wanna change much, do it in jewelly shops or banks. anyway, if you change < 500 SGD, think just change @ airport lor, not much difference.

buzzmario

Reaction score
lestervan said:
no need to change to VND in singapore, change a little about 50SGD @ Tan Son Nhat Airport, then if wanna change much, do it in jewelly shops or banks. anyway, if you change < 500 SGD, think just change @ airport lor, not much difference.

easy to take a cab from the air port to the hotel? what is the cost like? as i move around with my 3 year old kid, any attraction near to HCMC? which mean easy of transport access? 2 to 3 hour of bus ride think is too much fro me with for me.

also any recom hotel, maybe 4 star, that is good location of good transport?

thanks

Last edited:

khee

Reaction score
lestervan said:
ya... remember to change at the airport... the taxi driver to ask for VND10k for their parking fee/toll or something...

khee

Reaction score
buzzmario said:
easy to take a cab from the air port to the hotel? what is the cost like? as i move around with my 3 year old kid, any attraction near to HCMC? which mean easy of transport access? 2 to 3 hour of bus ride think is too much fro me with for me.

also any recom hotel, maybe 4 star, that is good location of good transport?

thanks
better to start around the backpacker area so that u can easily access the tour without taking cab... I will suggest this: http://www.lacvienhotel.com/English/services.htm

cheap and good...

skilled

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
lestervan said:

yes, my other half is vietnamese. Rain is going to be quite bad as follows. anyway, it rains almost everyday in HCM

skilled

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
actually, personally, i feel changing money is not much of a problem. i changed over 5k there under many people watchful eyes. Never never change in Singapore for VND. For travelling within Vietnam, can try pacific airlines. admin charge of $20 over the counters.

buzzmario

Reaction score
lestervan said:
You can go Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh City, I dun know much about Hanoi so just say about HCMC.

Normally no need to book for hotels, just go to Ben Thanh market, walk around and get one hotel. but u got a cute child so I think better book in advance for free mind, can try this one: http://www.ananhotel.com/ (25 USD per night), cheaper one: http://www.lucysaigon.com (16 - 20USD per night), cheapest ones try http://www.hostelbookers.com, look for the one near Ben Thanh market. The 2 hotels above I often recommend for my friends when they go to Vietnam. First one nearer to Ben Thanh Market than the second one. Btw, high-class hotels can find here: http://traveltovietnam.com/

For a relax trip and not-much-shopping, I think just stay in HCMC first day, first night, second day, then take a tour to somewhere else. Can try Vung Tau beach (2 hours going by bus) as saigonblack said above, its near to HCMC. Nicer but further place is Mui Ne beach (Phan Thiet City) (4 hours going by bus). If dun want beach, then can try Da Lat City (4 hours by bus), chill and peaceful place, but this one, normal tours take 4D3N, so I think u should plan 6D5N in Vietnam. No more place to recommend within ur time budget.

For booking tours in Vietnam, can try: http://www.sinhcafevn.comundefined/ (my friends often book here)

if wanna go both HCMC and Hanoi, can try book from Sin to HCMC, enjoy HCMC, fly to Hanoi (can go by train but takes 1 or 2 days to Hanoi), then fly back to to Sin. I think should have at least 5 nights in Vietnam. Btw, Hanoi is turning cold this season, so prepare clothes if u plan to go there. Same if you go Da Lat.

currently Sing Air got promotion $198 + $124 [tax] for a return ticket ( 2 persons go same days ), which period I am not very sure, can ask them.

Hope it helps. And enjoy! Btw I going back vietnam from 25 Oct to 5 Nov. If u guys go there this time, I am willing to help if needed. Dun worry I do not charge haha.

if i book the local tour via sinhcafe, where is the pick out point of the tour, they come to the hotel to ppick you up or need to go to thier office to be pick up? by the way, is this sinhcafe near to the hotel area?

any one know the wed site for th sing air promotion?

thanks

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.