To change from $30 to $50 Topup for Citibank Tap&Save SMRT Card

blue12

Master Member
Reaction score
This post has been updated, and is accurate as of 28 Jan 08...

- Please also take note that Citibank Tap & Save SMRT Card is a DEBIT CARD
(There are no income requirements and it is a savings account)
bannermainna2.gif

http://www.citibank.com.sg/SGGCB/APPS/portal/loadPage.do?tabId=Investments%20And%20Deposits&path=/prod/det/id_tapnsave.htm

Finally, got my auto $50 auto topup letter last Saturday (26 jan 08). Just went to activate my card just now (28 jan 08). You won’t believe the trouble I had to go through to change from $30 to $50 topup.

Citibank CSO will tell you straight up that it cannot be done. But if you tell them you want to do it on your own through Transitlink, they will then understand what you mean. But my advice is to save the trouble, because most of the time I have the feeling that they are pretty much clueless themselves. A lot of times, I felt like they are just leading me on a wild goose chase :(

So here are the some simple steps that I’ve compiled though my experience.

STEP 1:

For new card holders-
Bring the initial EZlink activation letter, IC, and card to any TransitLink Office. Ask the counter staff to activate, and TERMINATE at the same time. You need to pay $13, $3 for card deposit, and $10 for initial value.

For existing card holders-

Bring card to TransitLink Office. Ask the counter staff to TERMINATE your auto topup.

In both cases, make sure you get a receipt that looks like this:
22080301sl5.jpg

STEP 2:
Wait 1 week (5 working days) for the system at both Ezlink and Citibank to ”capture” your card’s termination.
Meanwhile, you can still make manual topups (no rebates, but no charges also) to your card at any Transitlink office or topup machines that look like this:
15051567xu3.jpg

Go to Ezlink’s website www.ezlink.com.sg to download "Manual Auto Credit card top-up form" (direct link: http://www.ezlink.com.sg/CrditCardTopUpApplicationForm.pdf.)Fill it up and send it through snail mail, after 1 week from termination. It should take 2 weeks to process.Take note that the card is a DEBIT CARD, so you cannot apply for auto topup online, regardless of what citibank cso tells you.

STEP 3:
You should receive the $50 activation letter in 2 weeks or less. Bring the activation letter, IC, and card to Transitlink office to activate your $50 topup. DONE!

If you don't receive your new activation letter in 2 weeks, call Ezlink (1800-2255-663) to enquire your application status. Ezlink might tell you that citibank has blocked your application. If so, call citibank to check if the $30 topup is still active on your card. If it still is, tell them to cancel it for you.

Useful numbers:
Ezlink : 1800-2255-663
citibank : 6225-5225

TransitLink website:
http://www.transitlink.com.sg/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More on my experience:

I started this thread for all those who are interested the topup value from $30 to $50, to share experience, and hopefully also get some useful info for myself. But it seems not many people are doing that. But I will update this thread anyway, since I started it.

First, I went to TransitLink office to activate as well as terminate my autp topup. For some reason, the transitlink staff did not terminate my auto topup, even after I repeatedly ask her to do so. I was given some receipts, and when I checked through, noticed that none said "termination", so I thought maybe there was no receipt for termination.

After many failed attempts to apply for $50 auto topup online (and many calls), I went down to citibank branch office for help. I was quite surprised the cso there was even more clueless than those on the hotline. But eventually, the cso called me, telling me that the $30 auto topup was still active on my card. Frustrated, I went back to Transitlink office to get the $30 topup terminated again. This time I got a receipt.

So I waited 1 week and tried applying online again. Failed. Called ezlink, they said my application was again rejected by citibank. So I called citibank, and the cso told me that my card was a debit card and have to download the form to apply manually. I did that, and after 2 weeks, found out from ezlink that my application was still being rejected by citibank.

I called citibank again, this time the cso found out that my $30 auto topup was still active on my card! I told him that I have already terminated it and even got the receipt for it. He said maybe it was a freak incident, and offered to do the termination for me. He also told me that I can apply for $50 topup online, even though it is a debit card. Two different citibank hotline cso with conflicting answers!

So I tried applying for $50 topup online, again, and failed as usual. Called ezlink to enquire, and they told me its due to some technical glithes on their side. ok, and so it was solved, and I tried applying online again but still can't.

I gave up and just submit the manual application through snail mail again. Got my activation letter in 1 week even though it was stated that he processing time will take 2 weeks.

This is the email I got from citibank in nov, which convinced me that it can be done:

"We wish to clarify that on application of the Tap & Save account, we
would have already applied for the Auto Top-Up facility automatically on
your behalf. As such, re-application would not be possible because the
for successful application, an activation code would already be tagged
to the EZ-Link. And you will receive the activation code via email or
mailed to your billing address within 14 business days. Thereafter, you
will need to activate the Auto-Top facility by visiting TransitLink
office personally with your card and the email/ mailer.

Please confirm if you have activated your Auto Top-Up facility (with the
email notification and physical card at TransitLink office). If you
have already done so, you will need to visit a TransitLink office
physically to deactivate this $30 top-up (not via website). Thereafter,
please wait for about 3 - 5 business days before going to EZ-Link
website to apply for preferred $50 top-up value.

Should you have any queries, please call our 24-Hour CitiPhone Banking
at 6225-5225.

Thank you for banking with Citibank.

Yours sincerely

Marilynn Wong
Customer Correspondence & Services"

This is the message I get from ezlink website everytime I try to apply for $50 topup. According to them, it is a standard error message, and could mean anything (not necessary network problems):

"Due to network problems, we are unable to continue with the purchase. Please try again.

If you are still having problems with the transaction, please call the following :
Singapore Hotline : +65 68989090
Malaysia Hotline : +6603 89965655
or email help@telemoney.com.sg.

Message reference #9210"

Last edited:

ironman4672

Banned
Reaction score
blue12 said:
It was quite confusing to me when reading the Citibank Tap&Save SMRT card thread regarding changing the default $30 Topup to $50. So I am opening a new thread just to discuss on this, and share my experience.

I called up Citibank to ask how it can be done. The Customer Service officer told me that they have no mechanism for it to be done.

Then I checked with TransitLink Office, and here is what they told me to do:

1. Bring the initial EZlink activation letter and IC to the TransitLink Office. Tell the counter staff to activate, and DEACTIVATE at the same time. You need to pay $13, $3 for card deposit, and $10 for initial value.

(After deactivation, the card can still be used, just no auto topup, you can do manual cash topups at any Transitlink office.)

2. Wait 3 working days (although the ezlink website says 2 working days), then apply for Ezlink $50 topup online at http://www.ezlink.com.sg

3. Wait to receive the new Ezlink activation letter. Bring down new letter and IC to activate new topup amount.Done.

I did step 1 on Wednesday. So I will apply for $50 topup online next Monday. :)
I think u are not in the good position to advise ppl yet... i sure u will be suprised to see what will be happened for step 2, it will tell u that ur card is already applied for auto top up...

blue12

Master Member
Reaction score
ironman4672 said:
I think u are not in the good position to advise ppl yet... i sure u will be suprised to see what will be happened for step 2, it will tell u that ur card is already applied for auto top up...

Well, as I wrote in my posting, its what the counter staff at Transitlink office told me to do. I will continue to update.

Since you know, why not share?

ironman4672

Banned
Reaction score
blue12 said:
Well, as I wrote in my posting, its what the counter staff at Transitlink office told me to do. I will continue to update.

Since you know, why not share?
already shared the process of it before... check carefully on the other thread....

blue12

Master Member
Reaction score
ironman4672 said:
already shared the process of it before... check carefully on the other thread....

I did, and that was why I was confused. Should I write email to Ezlink as well? Or should I just go to Transitlink to deactivate? Both are described in your post, so which to follow?

And I also don't want to be retorted with responses like this:
ironman4672 said:
do u think i care to prove? u try it urself, u are also lazy to do, one word to u... u are hopeless

That is also why I am opening up a new thread, for a more open discussion. And I am also adding more details like the $13 to prepare during activation.

If you have constructive contributions, like what I did wrongly, you are always welcomed.

If not, you can continue to participate in the other thread, and not be bothered about this thread if you know.

ironman4672

Banned
Reaction score
blue12 said:
I did, and that was why I was confused. Should I write email to Ezlink as well? Or should I just go to Transitlink to deactivate? Both are described in your post, so which to follow?

And I also don't want to be retorted with responses like this:

That is also why I am opening up a new thread, for a more open discussion. And I am also adding more details like the $13 to prepare during activation.

If you have constructive contributions, like what I did wrongly, you are always welcomed.

If not, you can continue to participate in the other thread, and not be bothered about this thread if you know.
u are trying to act expert on the process of this while u have yet to try out? i think u better go thru all the process first before u try to act smart here... in my previous post in other thread, i had listed super clearly on how i go about changing my top up amount from $30 to $50, u are just lazy to go thru it.... then u expect ppl to spoon feed u? ;)

blue12

Master Member
Reaction score
ironman4672 said:
u are trying to act expert on the process of this while u have yet to try out? i think u better go thru all the process first before u try to act smart here... in my previous post in other thread, i had listed super clearly on how i go about changing my top up amount from $30 to $50, u are just lazy to go thru it.... then u expect ppl to spoon feed u? ;)

No, I am not trying to act expert. Pls read my first post CAREFULLY. I wrote it with the intention of Discussing. If I am expert, why need to discuss, I can answer all questions right?

Also, like I mentioned, I will be updating. If I am already expert, I can write everything in 1 post, why need to update?

Whatever I wrote is under the advise of TransitLink staff, not mine. I am sharing with butties who would like to know.

I have gone through the whole other thread, every page of it, and still find your posts confusing to say the least. Only you think its clear.

If I am lazy to go through it, why am I sharing my experience here? Is starting a thread sharing info on what transitlink says called "spoonfeeding"?;)

Last edited:

ironman4672

Banned
Reaction score
blue12 said:
No, I am not trying to act expert. Pls read my first post CAREFULLY. I wrote it with the intention of Discussing. If I am expert, why need to discuss, I can answer all questions right?

Also, like I mentioned, I will be updating. If I am already expert, I can write everything in 1 post, why need to update?

Whatever I wrote is under the advise of TransitLink staff, not mine. I am sharing with butties who would like to know.

I have gone through the whole other thread, every page of it, and still find your posts confusing to say the least. Only you think its clear.

If I am lazy to go through it, why am I sharing my experience here? ;)
i tot my post is "IDIOT PROOF"... any mind then, since the proof does not work....;)

blue12

Master Member
Reaction score
ironman4672 said:
i tot my post is "IDIOT PROOF"... any mind then, since the proof does not work....;)

An Idiot cant write anything thats "Idiot Proof" ;)

Goonies_88

Master Member
Reaction score
haha.... hey blue, i just collected my smrt card just now. So i guess i would needa wait for my activation letter to arrive before i can follow up with you right?

Keep me updated here. thanks dude. appreciated!

blue12

Master Member
Reaction score
Goonies_88 said:
haha.... hey blue, i just collected my smrt card just now. So i guess i would needa wait for my activation letter to arrive before i can follow up with you right?

Keep me updated here. thanks dude. appreciated!

Yes, make sure you have $30.25, or you will never receive the activation letter. The system needs to lock-in that amount in your account before the activation letter can be sent :)

aa4f4fsd47 said:
This is the 13th post and until now nobody has posted how to change $30 to $50 !
hHAHAHA

isn't it in the first post? That is the instruction given by Transitlink counter service.

Goonies_88

Master Member
Reaction score
icic.. but dude, now i just collected my cards, i do not have the initial activation letter yet. so at the mean time i have to wait right?

blue12

Master Member
Reaction score
Goonies_88 said:
icic.. but dude, now i just collected my cards, i do not have the initial activation letter yet. so at the mean time i have to wait right?

Yes, you will have to wait.

I did asked if I can just ignore the initial activation letter (dont use it to activate), and just apply for $50 topup. She said no.

Goonies_88

Master Member
Reaction score
ic.. okie... no choice.. hee

i will tune in to this thread everyday then to see any updates while i wait for my stupid letter. :D

aloysius

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so the benefit of increasing the top up amt is less freq of paying the auto top up fees rite?? the rebate still remains at 2% rite?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.