Docomo P905i guide to: photos, videos, music, ringtone, etc

hencanz

Reaction score
Guide for copying videos, music, pics, ringtone, etc on NTT DoCoMo P905i

Guide for copying videos, music, pics, ringtone, etc on NTT DoCoMo P905i

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This guide also can be used for the following DoCoMo handsets:
- SO905iCS => WMA, Pictures, 3gp
(verified by xenocide, johnmoon, Cryptrus)

Hopefully this thread will be useful to fellow P905i users.
Please do contribute ur tips as well. Thx :D

This guide is for Windows only, as most of the software works on Windows only.

Music
1. SD-Audio
2. WMA
3. AAC/3GP
Last updated: Mar 14th, 2008

Video
1. MP4/3GP
2. WMV/ASF
Last updated: Apr 8th, 2008

Picture
1. Use Datalink
2. Copy Manually
Last updated: Mar 10th, 2008

Ringtone
1. AAC
2. I-Motion MP4 (video ringtone)
3. SMF/MLD
Last updated: Apr 03rd, 2008

JAVA MIDP/I-Appli Games
Last updated: Mar 9th, 2008

Kisekae Tool (Theme)

ToruCa (Mobile coupon)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of this is already covered by the manual, but its easier to report our findings here.

USB Mode Setting
1. Communication Mode – Data sync/modem
2. microSD mode – phone become a microSD reader
3. MTP mode – Media Transfer Protocol, able to use WMP to sync files

To change USB Mode setting:
Menu => Settings => Other settings => USB mode setting

The MicroSD complete directory structure is shown in the manual (p.300):
http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/binary/pdf/support/manual/foma/p905i/P905i_E_16.pdf

Last edited:

hencanz

Reaction score
Music

1. SD-Audio

Requirements:
- Microsoft AppLocale Utility
- SD Jukebox/Moocs Player
- SD card reader or USB cable (set to microSD mode)

Masayuki has kindly uploaded the SD Jukebox/Moocs Player for us here:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=1885373

Before installing the Japanese version SD-Jukebox, install the Microsoft AppLocale Utility 1st so u can view non-Unicode apps. (credit: K_Gokiburi)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...0D-45D1-4D9B-B7C0-8430C1AC89AB&displaylang=en

moocs.jpg

Just like any other Media Software, just pop ur CDs in & u can rip the contents to Moocs library.

To sync with ur phone, drag the songs to the SD card. The program will automatically encode ur songs into SD-Audio.

To add album art, drag pictures to the box on the upper left, below the word “Moocs”

For more details, refer to K_Gokiburi's post:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showpost.php?p=28780456&postcount=32

However, it may not accept:
- mp3 file (need commercial version of Moocs Player, i think)
- iTunes AAC

2. WMA

Requirements:
- Windows Media Player 10/11
- USB Cable (set to MTP mode)

This is the easiest method, since all of us have WMP in our system. I’m using this method for my music as well.

Once u plugged in the USB cable & set the phone to MTP mode, WMP will automatically detect ur phone (see pic below) & ready to sync.

wmp.jpg

U will need to convert ur song collection to WMA before dumping them to WMP library.

I use dBPoweramp converter + WMA codec.
- Choose WMA 9.2 /Lossless.
- Either VBR or CBR is fine
- 192Kbps for best quality/size ratio.

Album art/jacket guide:
- Highlight all the particular songs that u want to add cover to, then drag cover art picture into the square next to the songs (see pic above).
- Another method, highlight all the particular songs, right click & select "Advanced Tag Editor", go to "Pictures" and add ur album cover there. Choose "Cover (front)" for the "Picture Type".

If the album art doesn't appear on the phone, it means the album art picture is not embedded correctly into the songs.
Go back to WMP library, right click on the song and choose "Advanced Tag Editor". Go to "Pictures" and make sure there's an album art there, also "Cover (front)" must be selected on the "Picture type".

Click the “Start Sync” button at the lower right corner once you’ve dragged all ur files into the phone.
After its done, disconnect the USB cable and fire up the music player on ur phone.

IMG_1561.jpg

3. AAC/3GP

Requirements:
- 3gp converter
- microSD card reader or USB cable (set to microSD mode)

Use Calcium 3gp converter to convert to HE/HE2 AAC (extension 3gp).

Drop ur files into:
PRIVATE => DOCOMO => MMFILE => MUDxxx

microsd-mmfile.jpg

If u didn't see the MMFILE folder inside DOCOMO folder. Use ur computer to create one and its child directory, for e.g: MMFILE => MUD001, MUD002, MUD003, etc.

U also have to rename ur files to MMF001.3gp, MMF002.3gp, MMF003.3gp, etc. If not the phone can’t see them at all.
Besides, ur most likely wont be able to view the album art.

There's no perceivable difference between WMA, AAC & SD-Audio on the phone, especially when ur using earphones. Unless ur using $500 professional earphones.

Last edited:

hencanz

Reaction score
Video

1. MP4/3GP

Requirements:
- Total Video Converter or 3gp Converter

Use ur favorite software to convert ur videos into MP4 or 3GP files.

I use Total Video Converter for mine.
Video Bit Rate: 500-1500Kbit/s
Resolution: 640 x 480 (VGA) or 640 x 352 (Wide HVGA)

On ur phone, go to:
Menu => Data box => I-Motion => microSD => Movie

If u’ve taken a video using the camera & saved to microSD before, u will see a folder called PRL001 which contains ur recorded video file (eg: MOL001).
Feel free to create new folders here, u can name it anything.

Once ur done, connect ur phone to the computer. Navigate to the folder called SD_VIDEO. U can see the folders u’ve created before. Yeah, even if u’ve renamed the folder using ur phone before, it will still appear as PRL001, PRL002, PRL003, and so on.

microsd-sdvideo.jpg

Now drop ur mp4 or 3gp files into one of these folders. Rename the files as MOL001.xxx, MOL002.xxx, MOL003.xxx, MOL004.xxx, etc. "xxx" is file extension.

U can rename these files again using ur phone.

IMG_1558.jpg
IMG_1554.jpg

enjoy the full screen goodness!

2. WMV/ASF
(credit: kenhanabi)

Requirements:
- Total Video Converter or any other converter apps

Just drop ur WMV/ASF files into:
PRIVATE => DOCOMO => MOVIE => MVUDxxx

microsd-movie.jpg

If u didn't see the MOVIE folder inside DOCOMO folder. Use ur computer to create one and its child directory, for e.g: MOVIE => MVUD001, MVUD002, MVUD003, etc.

No need to rename the files at all.

To watch these movies on ur phone, go to:
Menu => Data box => PC Movie

Note:
If using Total Video Converter to convert ur WMV
- Use "Zune WMV" setting.
- Video Bit Rate: 500-1000Kbit/s
- Resolution: MUST be 320 x 240, otherwise ur video wont appear.

Last edited:

hencanz

Reaction score
Picture

1. Use Datalink
(Credit: punkkidzz)

Requirements:
- DataLink (comes wif driver CD)

an easier method would be through Datalink, you can name the file there w/o going the trouble of having to rename the files.

Datalink comes in the Driver CD. just install it and make an account and password for it when you first start Datalink and your ready to go.

once you log in go to the Picturs Tab.select the tab saying PC Picture(PC画像) to import your desired pic.
1zpme4n.jpg

you then get to rename your pic.

Once your done left click on the pic you want to transfer once to highlight it then click this tab to upload to your phone.
2u7632h.jpg

PS:NO you do not need a Japanese OS to install DataLink or to read the driver CD
To Read the cd. Go to Control Panel => Regional and Language Options => Adminstrative tab and set Japanese for Non-Unicode programs as well.[/

2. Copy Manually

This uses the same method as the MP4/WMV/3GP, u have to manually rename the files using computer.

microsd-pics.jpg

U can drop ur pictures into:
- DCIM => xxx_PANA
Rename ur files to P0010001.jpg, P0010002.jpg, P0010003.jpg, etc

- PRIVATE => DOCOMO => STILL => SUDxxx
Rename ur files to STIL0001.jpg, STIL0002.jpg, STIL0003.jpg, etc

IMG_1562.jpg

Last edited:

hencanz

Reaction score
Ringtone

1. AAC

haonan said:
I haven't really started playing with making customised ringtones for my SH905i, but I just went to check out the MobileHackerz 3GP wiki site to seek some references regarding ringtones for FOMA handsets, and I'm afraid I have to drop this bad news on u guys.

• 500KB以下のファイルはWeb経由で着信音、メール着信音などに登録可能になります。

A mere translation of the above for those who don't understand the sentence, it means that for setting a normal ringer ringtone and email ringtone, it has to be below 500KB and downloaded via web. Usually for japanese users this isn't a major problem, becos they have alot of such free uploader websites available whereby japanese ppl usually can upload their own customised AAC ringtones to and downloading them directly via their own FOMA handsets via i-mode internet. This thing is impossible for us, as we all know our FOMA handsets are restricted in terms of the internet, because firstly we're not under NTT Docomo so we don't have i-mode internet, and secondly GPRS settings cannot be configured manually on the P905i or any of the FOMA handsets, so needless to say, we can't download anything manually via GPRS to our FOMA handsets, even if our simcards does come enabled with GPRS by default, via our telco carrier providers.

2. I-Motion MP4 (video ringtone)

As suggested by bro haonan b4, we could use the default video clip (the clownfish one) as a ringtone.
You also can make the a 30sec clip urself, but it will not work if u copy it into SD card, the ringtone option will be greyed out. It must be downloaded thru the email or internet in order for it to work as a ringtone. So since we have no GPRS, we're out of luck again.

3. SMF/MLD

Requirements:
- Yamaha MLD WAV-MA2 converter
- PSMPlayer

file format must be .smf or .mld

Convert ur WAV to MLD by using the tool Yamaha MLD tool/converter for Panasonic from here:
http://smaf-yamaha.com/tools/panasonic/index.html

U can also use PSMPlayer to convert your WAV into MLD
http://www.psmplayer.com/

Choose iMelody for DoCoMo phone

Drop ur MLD files into:
PRIVATE => DOCOMO => RINGER => RUDxxx

microsd-ringer.jpg

Rename ur files as RING0001.xxx, RING0002.xxx, RING0003.xxx, etc

U should be able to see the new ringtone on ur phone by going to:
Menu => Drop box => Melody => microSD => Melody

NOTES
However I got an issue on this, the ringtone can only vibrate, there's no sound at all. Bro totaltoanage has also experienced this.
U are welcome to try it out and see if it works on yours.

Last edited:

hencanz

Reaction score
JAVA MIDP/I-Appli Games

Not able to add jar files to microSD since it requires connection to Docomo.

Kisekae Tool (Theme)
(Credit: LHM_BB01_Minerva)

Download link (English) : http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/s.../kisekae_tool/

Download link (Japanese) : http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/service/i...ool/index.html

Links to the pdf that lists which models are compatible with this program :
http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/s...pec/index.html

ToruCa (Mobile coupon)
(Credit: masayuki)

torucawa1.jpg

A mobile coupon. not sure we can use it here. but its for fun :D

Make your own ToruCa here!
http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/s...ontent/toruca/

Last edited:

kenhanabi

Reaction score
U should also be able to drop ur WMV/ASF/3GP files manually into:
- SD_Video => PRLxxx folder
- PRIVATE => DOCOMO => MVUDxxx => MOVIExxx.
But it doesn’t work on mine. Anyone tried this before?
Please report on ur findings

I'm not having any trouble dropping WMV files into the MVUDxxx folder. It doesn't even require renaming of the file. 3gp doesn't seem to work. Still...enjoying the screen to the max. =)

kuro

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
great guide there, very detailed.

2 thumbs up

punkkidzz

Reaction score
Video

1. MP4

Requirements:
- Total Video Converter

Use Total Video Converter to convert ur videos into MP4 files.
Video Bit Rate: 500-1000Kbit/s
Resolution: 640 x 480

Before connecting ur phone, go to:
Menu => Data box => I Motion => microSD => Movie

If u’ve taken a video using the camera & saved to microSD before, u will see a folder called PRL001 which contains ur recorded video file (eg: MOL001).
Feel free to create new folders here, u can name it anything.

Once ur done, connect ur phone to the computer. Navigate to the folder called SD_Video. U can see the folders u’ve created before. Yeah, even if u’ve renamed the folder using ur phone before, it will still appear as PRL001, PRL002, PRL003, and so on.

microsd.jpg

Now drop ur mp4 files into one of these folders. Rename the mp4 files as MOL001.etc, MOL002.etc, MOL003.etc, MOL004.mp4, etc. Dun worry, u can rename these files again using ur phone.

IMG_1558.jpg
IMG_1554.jpg

enjoy the full screen goodness! :D

2. WMV/ASF/3GP

U notice when u use WMP to sync ur WMA songs, ur able to sync pictures & video as well.

But I’m still not able to sync successfully using this method. I’ve tried WMV & ASF, but they just wont sync to the phone.

U should also be able to drop ur WMV/ASF/3GP files manually into:
- SD_Video => PRLxxx folder
- PRIVATE => DOCOMO => MVUDxxx => MOVIExxx.

But it doesn’t work on mine. Anyone tried this before?
Please report on ur findings

3GP work the same as MP4 just drop them into the PRLxxx folder and rename them MOLxxx .You can rename them in the phone. Not sure about the other two as i have do not have thoese file types and have not tried.

*Note* i notice i cant transfer 3gp/MP4 over 10mb through the Datalink.

punkkidzz

Reaction score
Picture

1. All image types

Requirements:

This uses the same method as the MP4/WMV/3GP, u have to manually rename the files.

microsd.jpg

U can drop ur pictures into:
- DCIM => 100_PANA (or any other XXX_PANA folders)
Rename ur files to P0010001.jpg, P0010002.jpg, P0010003.jpg, etc

- PRIVATE => DOCOMO => SUD
Then rename ur files to STIL0001.jpg, STIL0002.jpg, STIL0003.jpg, etc

Kinda tedious, but so far I haven’t found any easier methods.

IMG_1562.jpg

an easier method would be through Datalink, you can name the file there w/o going the trouble of having to rename the files.

Datalink comes in the Driver CD. just install it and make an account and password for it when you first start Datalink and your ready to go.

once you log in go to the Picturs Tab.select the tab saying PC Picture(PC画像) to import your desired pic.
1zpme4n.jpg

you then get to rename your pic.

Once your done left click on the pic you want to transfer once to highlight it then click this tab to upload to your phone.
2u7632h.jpg

PS:NO you do not need a Japanese OS to install DataLink or to read the driver CD
To Read the cd. Go to Control Panel => Regional and Language Options => Adminstrative tab and set Japanese for Non-Unicode programs as well.

Last edited:

hencanz

Reaction score

thx a lot punkkidzz,

how can i missed the Datalink software...i:s11:

hencanz

Reaction score
I'm not having any trouble dropping WMV files into the MVUDxxx folder. It doesn't even require renaming of the file. 3gp doesn't seem to work. Still...enjoying the screen to the max. =)

thx bro. i will edit the guide now:s12:

kimwee

Master Member
Reaction score
Wa this thread must give 5 star man :s12::s12::s12:

SALUTE!!!! This thread can surely remove most of the pain and sleepless nights that new or wannabe DCM users have when they get their hands on their first DCM phone (including me ;))

hencanz

Reaction score
thx everyone for the support...:D

mina-san! lets discover more good stuff from this awesome phone! :s12:

masayuki

Reaction score
One point to bring up.
If you are converting videos to WMV and dropping them in, one setting i have tested that works is the convert to zune player settings in total video converter.

Anyone else has any other settings for WMV that works?

docomop905i

Reaction score
I have a mobile that was brough from japan. It's security code has been changed and it requires when i put sim in. I want to know how to find it's security code. Thanks

kuro

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
default is 0000, if changed by previous owner, you have to look back to him for the code

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.