Tioman Guide.

p00kish

Reaction score
Since this thread is stickied, I've decided to organize abit so that people wouldn't have to go through all the pages to find the info they need.

FAQs:

Is it better to book through a tour or DIY to Tioman?
There's not too much of difference. Personally, i think its more convenient to book through agency. If you're more adventurous, you can try DIY, which is not too hard. socrates's DIY guide

When NOT to go to Tioman?
End of september I believe you still can go but then again these days the monsoon may not be earlier.

Early october Tioman= Go or No Go?
erm...dun go better. Monsoon.

Northeast monsoon sits east coast of Penisula Malaysia between November to March. Check weather condition before you go.

I will be driving and catching the Tioman ferry from Tg Gemok jetty. How is the carpark like?
See a sample pic of it at page 3
wa1ker said:
lots of parking lot at tanjong gemok... but that place is quite ulu.. not sure if it is safe to park overnights
studmufn said:
if u're driving i recommend going to mersing. parking with security (supposedly) is RM10 a night.
it's a relatively short drive.. 2 hrs i think can already. try and reach mersing early, like before noon, cos the ferries might not leave regularly after that due to the tide.

How long is the journey from Singapore to Tioman?
MissyClover said:
Coach from singapore to mersing will take around 2.5 to 3 hours and the ferry to Tioman from Mersing will take another 1.5 hours.

Are there cigarettes and alcohol at Tioman?

Yup they do. And it is duty free there.

Paya beach nice or Salang better?

socrates said:
Paya beach is full of Singaporeans as almost all packages from Singapore have tie ups with resorts there. So I am not surprised that it is fully booked.

To me I prefer Salang very much more. Plenty of lodgings which are affordable. trust me you do not have to do an advance booking. the moment you step off the bus at mersing the touts will come and ask you if you are interested in booking their rooms at Tioman. They will show you lots of nice pictures but I think the best is to look at the real thing yourself. Once you reach Salang, just walk around and find the one that you like best for price and comfort.

Other than Salang , Ayer batang is also a good choice.

-tekek is the main village of tioman. where the airport is located as well as hospital and schools for children in tioman to study.

-ABC is v popular with ang mohs

-Salang, the last ferry stop, is equally popular. Personally, I prefer this the most as it has the peace and serenity that i yearn for.

-Paya, favourites among sporean... no need for me to add on as there's plenty of info in this thread.

Salang also has bars by the beach.

Is there flight service from to Tioman?
Yup. Click here for the schedule

How much is the snorkeling trip if we book at Tioman?

If you're staying at Paya Beach resort, you can book a snorkelling trip at their resort for RM$35-80 per person. Depends on how hard you bargain, the season and the amount of people, you could even go lower.
Remember to bring some bread so that can attract more fish to come to your side You should be able to book one just at the resort where you're staying.

monsoon season falls from october to feb 9normally after chinese new year. for snorkelling trips, it is a bout RM 120.00 for five island trips (include water fall walk, renggis island for snorkelling, marine park for snorkelling, kampung juar(if i rem correctly) for lunch.

if your tour packages is inclusive of a snorkelling, they will recommend you to upgrade it.. =)

hi, anybody knows when is the monsoon season in tioman? end august a good time to go if you're into the snorkeling?

im looking at a package thats SGD220 per pax... reasonable, u think?

btw, anyone wif experience in berjaya, if i want to go for extra snorkelling trips are they expensive???

You can also book it at other places.

Is there anything else to do at Tioman(dont know diving)?

Snorkeling(there are life jacket provided) , Canoeing, Relax at the beach and jungle trekking (and see the waterfall)

How are the rooms at Tioman like?

Salang Pusaka. Tioman Paya Resort. Paya beach resort

Bus and ferry Advise?

Page6 and
Page 7

Yes, there is bus to mersing.
some question.
1.The bus depart from larkin bus terminal right?\
2. the bus go to mersing bus terminal or mersing jety?
if go to mersing bus terminal, how from there go to mersing jety?
There are a few bus operators from larkin to mersing but i think the Transnasional got better service timing. At mersing there are 2 bus terminal now, the old R&R terminal is just beside the jetty less than 5mins walk while the new mersing bus terminal which is at town area is a 15mins walk to jetty.

Do check with the bus operators which terminal they stop before buying your ticket.

From larkin to mersing:
the yellow bus, causeway link
bus.jpg

not much route, but there is others company provide service from JB to Mersing too, u can go larkin there try to look for others.

jus came bac from tioman las week... went at the wrong time as skies r cloudy like sg... stil abit of sun on certain times but didnt manage to tan enough...

stayed at berjaya resort... the beach n sea is beautiful... u can walk v far up the shore n the clear water only reach stomach level... snorkelling is v gd but some areas hav jellyfish n i got bitten... the swell heals after few hrs...

overall v nice experience but i hated the long journey... 4 hrs bus, 2 hrs ferry.. inbetween abt 1/2 hr of waiting for ferry n 1/2 meal break during bus journey.. board bus at golden mile at 6.30am n only reached resort at 1.30pm...

How do I get to Larkin Bus Terminal?

Take SBS170 all the way to the end to reach Larkin Bus Terminal.

I'm going snorkeling/Diving and want to take picture. How?
sijiesg said:
The duty free shop in Paya resort sells disposable Underwater camera for RM55

The shop in the village rents camera for about RM30+... i think it includes the film and then after that u just return the camera lor...

Iloveholiday said:
Btw, they do sell many underwater cam at Tioman.. Renting is more than 30rm. Buying a new disposable cam is around 49.90. I bought reusable underwater cam with flashlight for 89.90. Anyway I think buying the 69.90 without flashlight is the same coz the flashlight like no effect when I was taking the picture when I snorkel

The Chinese shop at Paya has water proof film cameras for rent for RM$49 for the disposable 27shots.

I need internet! Is there internet at Tioman?
Yes. Tioman Paya Beach Resort has internet access for RM10 per hour.

What about wireless internet?
There's no wireless internet there so far.

What should be the budget for this trip?
About SG$115 - SG252 for booking by travel agency depending on when and where you stay. And for a 3D-2N trip, you may spend up to about RM$200+.

Does Tioman has water sports? Eg. Para sailing, water skiing, jet skiing?
No. Tioman is a marine park, so no water sports as they can damage the marine life.

Any other guide/references?
SAM ‘S REVIEW: Pulau Tioman 3D2N Trip @ Paya Beach Spa & Dive Resort; Iloveholiday's blog review; h3ngster's experience at page 9;icebombfk's
blogged experience

or just read on the thread and post your question if you still cannot find what you need.

Credits to those who have asked and contributed to this thread! Hope to hear more reviews and your latest experiences here!!

Last edited:

socrates

Reaction score
you catch a bus from Singapore that brings you to Mersing.

Once at mersing you can get a boat ticket to Tioman fromt he many travel shops there. You will not miss it as the touts will come after you. they will also come and offer you accomadation and deals and so on. If you are not keen it is okay as you can get accomadation by wlaking around in Tioman. there a number of places at Tioman where the boat will stop like Aya batang, paya beach, salang etc. You need to know which stop you want to get to as they are not connected by roads onland. Meaning you cannot say walk on road from Salang to Ayer Batang. Here it is best you do some research by visitng websites like this one http://www.tioman.com.my/. or visiting forum site like lonely planet http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forum.jspa?forumID=24 or even in this website here.
Once you decide on place. you can walk around and look for accomdation that suits your budget and taste. Plenty of rooms and no need ot book in advance

I stayed in salang. Plenty of food which was cheap and although that was 7 years ago I still believe S$300 is more than enough for eveything including transport, food lodging and activities for 3D2N.

I stayed in something like this..old digital camera so poor quality
pict0133.jpg

Salang
MVC-027F.jpg

Marine park at Tioman. a lot of fish here
pict0075.jpg

Good food and cheap as well
pict0139.jpg

enjoy !!

p00kish

Reaction score
How about the return trip by ferry?

Edit: the Tioman.com.my website seems alittle outdate, is the pricing from the website still reliable?

Last edited:

kevinkschui

Reaction score
My advice is to jux go to local travel agents at chinatown side or beach road. They have good n cheap package for twin sharing. S$160-200/pax. Its very cheap. Wad u spend over there for the 3 days wun go over rm130 which includes daily meals cum snorkeling trip cum canoe trip. So rest assured that u will be very happy if many frens go. Can often get a cheaper deal in group. U shud try go n book in group then u save a lot. :)

socrates

Reaction score
return trip ferry tickets also sold together from Mersing.

As for pricing, it may be outdated. You can negotiate when you get there. As I say there are plenty of choices.You may find nice places which are not on the website. If you do no think the prices are reasonable, can always walk away. On the whole the people there are more laid back and they give good reasonable prices for those smaller self run lodgings .

I always prefer DIY as give more choices and options. But of course with packages you do not need to plan anything.

foofam77

Reaction score
what can we do there other than diving?

Snorkelling to see fishes and corals? Is the water choppy?

Easy to walk around the town ourselves?

Are the seafood cheap?

Most imptly, safe for ladies to go?

thanks...

kevinkschui

Reaction score
what can we do there other than diving?

Snorkelling to see fishes and corals? Is the water choppy?

Easy to walk around the town ourselves?

Are the seafood cheap?

Most imptly, safe for ladies to go?

thanks...
Other than diving. U can try snorkeling which is cheap. Only ard rm35 for full day trip. The boatman will stop at a few spots in coral island. By the way. Do rem to buy loaves of bread to feed the fish. They will swarm to ya.
Water conditions r unpredictable. However dun swim too far off from ya boat if u r not a strong swimmer coz the currents will easily push u away from ya boat in minutes. So long u wear ya life vest then the boatman will go pick u up when he finds tt u r too far away.
Seafood is not too pricey. However look ard for bargains n places where u find more people coz some vacationers who stay there for a week will stay ard restaurants tt cooks well. :)

**Special note: these r meant as advices, do pay attention on all safety aspects. rem to buy insurances. Happy holidays. :)

chuan3205

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi butties, any websites i can book Tioman tour other than fivestars and discoverytour.com?

wanna bk now but the dates i want are full liao :sad:

chuan3205

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why not just go by yourself. It is truly not too difficult !
I don't mind. but i'm afraid rooms at Paya Beach is fully booked for the period i want :(

other resort e.g. Berjaya is more expensive :x

Socrates, may i know where to get the bus tickets to Mersing from Singapore? Adv. booking allowed?

socrates

Reaction score
Paya beach is full of Singaporeans as almost all packages from Singapore have tie ups with resorts there. So I am not surprised that it is fully booked.

To me I prefer Salang very much more. Plenty of lodgings which are affordable. trust me you do not have to do an advance booking. the moment you step off the bus at mersing the touts will come and ask you if you are interested in booking their rooms at Tioman. They will show you lots of nice pictures but I think the best is to look at the real thing yourself. Once you reach Salang, just walk around and find the one that you like best for price and comfort.

Other than Salang , Ayer batang is also a good choice.

Just relax and enjoy. Tell us your experience when you get back.

Enjoy

Reaction score
thank you socrates...but seems like boss not approve my leave..
Sibeh sien...:s34:

anyway, sure will share v u all if really able to go.

p00kish

Reaction score
EoEo-PiPu_PiPu, i'm sure you'll have a chance next time.

Anyway, to those who went and took the day snorkelling tour...how much were you guys charged per person?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.