Dont buy dogs from PETSHOPS, FARMS!! ADOPT INSTEAD!

sheeeryl

Reaction score
As there isnt a specific topic on Puppy Mills, plus I realised majority of the Singaporean are clueless abt what Puppy Mills are. This might be a good way to educate and spread the knowledge to all potential Pet Owners on the cruelty of these Puppy Mills. Always Support Adoption. Adopt a Pet today.

The following might be a tab uncomfortable to some podders. Thanks smile.gif

Some facts about what Puppy Mills are about. Hundreds of thousands of puppies are raised each year in commercial kennels.

- Puppy mills are distinguished by their inhumane conditions and the constant breeding of unhealthy and genetically defective dogs solely for profit.

- Very often the dogs in puppymills are covered with matted, filthy hair, their teeth are rotting and their eyes have ulcers. We have seen many dogs whose jaws have rotted because of tooth decay.
15.jpg

- The dogs are kept in small wire cages for their entire lives. They are almost never allowed out. They never touch solid ground or grass to run and play.

1-1.jpg

- Many dogs lose feet and legs when they are caught in the wire floors of the cages and cut off as the dog struggles to free themselves.
6.jpg

- Very often there is no heat or air-conditioning in a puppymill. The dogs freeze in the winter and die of heat stroke in the summer. Puppies "cook" on the wires of the cages in the summer.
5.jpg

sheeeryl

Reaction score
- Female dogs are usually bred the first time they come into heat and are bred every heat cycle. They are bred until their poor worn out bodies can't reproduce any longer and then they are killed. Often they are killed by being bashed in the head with a rock or shot. Sometimes they are sold to laboratories or dumped. This is often by the time they reach five years old.
7.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

sheeeryl

Reaction score
- Dogs in puppymills are debarked often by ramming a steel rod down their throats to reputure their vocal cords.
12.jpg

11.jpg

- Some dogs are so psychologically scarred from the mind numbing boredom of being imprisoned in a small cage for year and years that they have developed repetitive habits like going round and round in circles for hours and hours or barking at the wall for hours.
17.jpg

16.jpg

For more pictures Prisoner of Greed - Pictures

Make sure your not supporting the trade of Puppy Mills when you bring home a furball.

You could visit these two webby for more videos or information on how you can help to stop Puppy Mills.
Prisoner of Greed
Stop Puppy Mills

Thank You. flower.gif

sheeeryl

Reaction score
Puppy Mills

These are places that breed dogs for profit, like chickens, in extremely inhuman conditions. The dogs are locked in small cages without proper roof and flooring, they spend their entire lives this way, without any kindly human contact and consistent food and water and proper sanitation . A puppy mill is a puppy factory. It is hell for dogs.

There were cases (not in Singapore) where the operators purposely broke the jaws of the mother dogs so they cannot feed on the puppies (as they are so hungry). It is also not rare to find dead dogs inside the cages. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out what kind of puppies will be produced in such deplorable circumstances. If your puppy has a host of problems, it is not impossible that it had come from a puppy mill. Puppy mill puppies are hard to raise, as they often grow up nervous and distrustful.

These puppy mill operators do not care about breed standards and the quality of their puppies; all they want is money. Hence, they will happily breed mothers and sons, fathers and daughters, sisters and brothers. This in-breeding cause genetic deformities in the off springs which are not visible during puppy hood. However, after some time, you will find yourself visiting the vet to fix all kinds of problems. You might even end up in the clinic yourself as inbred dogs are often aggressive and prone to bite.

The Pet Shop
In Singapore, I'M NOT AFRAID TO SAY, there are more unethical pet shops than good ones. Most of them get their puppies from Australia or locally, but that's just about the most they are willing to tell you. There is no way to know for sure whether the puppies had come from foreign or local puppy mills or "backyard" breeders. Some of the local pet shop operators even double up as the unethical breeders themselves. These pet shops don't mind spending money on regular and attractive advertisement as they can make much more profits cheating all the innocent and unwary customers. They will tell you anything to sell you that cute little puppy. Their words will change according to what type of puppies they have in stock. They do not care if you had selected the wrong puppy for your lifestyle. Testimonials include pet shop people trying to pass off ticks as moles, and cheating customers into believing a blue-eyed Siberian Husky is an Alaskan Malamute (which is never blue-eyed).

Certain pet shops also "register" much higher incidence of selling puppies who later died of parvo virus. There are also some pet shops which are not licensed by the AVA (Agri-food & Veterinary Authority). If you know any, you should report them to AVA immediately.

Many puppy buyers complain that the dogs they bought turned out to be not pedigrees as claimed by the pet shops. Another common complaint is after paying for the puppy, it is then that they were told to pay extra few hundred dollars to obtain the "pedigree" certificate (actually the breed certificate) and when they got it, they are still not sure if the puppies are indeed really pedigrees as the father and the mother of the puppies are not stated.

Unless you want it for certain reasons, a pedigree or breed certificate does not mean much. However, it does help the pet shops to "promote" the sale of the puppies. So don't be so naive to believe a piece of paper will guarantee the quality of the puppy. In Singapore, many novice dog owners want it because they want to show their dogs or they see it as an "investment" so they can ask for higher prices when they decide to sell their dogs later (wishful thinking).

Whatever it is, NEVER buy a puppy on impulse if you are an inexperience dog owner. If you don't have any particular breed in mind, you might want to consider adopting a homeless dog that fit your lifestyle and preference instead. You can adopt from DogPeople, ASD (Action for Singapore Dogs), K9Love.Org or SPCA. The dogs ended up in shelters NOT because they are bad but because their owners are.

Having said these, when it comes to pet supplies stores (the ones that don't sell any live animals), true to our trading heritage, Singaporean shops are one of the best in the world. Though small scale, they carry the best of products imported or produced locally. Enjoy shopping at our local pet supplies stores!

"Backyard" Breeders

These are individual people who breed their dogs and bitches for money or for hobby. They are NOT dog experts. They do not know how healthy their dogs are and how well they conform to the breed standards. These are ignorant people but pretend to be knowledgeable.

Many of these "backyard" breeders advertise their puppies through the newspaper classified ads. Some even post their advertisements in stores and supermarkets. Some supply to questionable pet shops. Many also try to sell their puppies through word of mouth. You should beware of acquaintances suddenly telling you so and so who is their "friend" coincidentally has puppies for sale.

If you buy from them, there is a high chance your dog is not free from genetic defects and is not a purebred as they claim.

It can be difficult to differentiate "backyard" breeders from good reputable breeders. Hence, it is very important to find out yourself.

If you were approached by some stranger who asked you to mate your dog with theirs, just tell it into their face: "Sorry, I am not a pimp!".

The Good and Reputable BreederIPB Image

The foremost concern for a good breeder is the quality of the puppies and they breed their dogs to uphold the standards of the breed, not for profit.

A good breeder will ask you many questions. Don't be offended. It is because he/she cares about the dogs, that's why he/she is asking questions. There might even be a written application, interviews and MOU before the puppy is passed to you. He/she will be happy to answer your questions too. You should ask about the genetic health conditions of the puppies and ask to meet the parents of the puppies. Ask how long has him/her been breeding dogs. How many months/years apart does he/she breed the same dogs? Be wary of those who repeatedly bred their dogs every time the b**ch is on heat. To what extent have the puppies being socialized? Will he/she guarantee against health and behaviourial defects? Have the parents been certified clear of genetic defects inherent to the breed? Ask to see the certificates issued by registered vets as well as the pedigree certificate (not breed certificate) (very important!). Does he/she mind you do a temperament test on the litter if it hasn't been done?IPB Image

The ideal breeder will help you select the puppy whose personality matches your lifestyle. Generally, good breeders will stay in touch with you and accept feedbacks on the puppy you bought. Many of them also take the trouble to help find good homes for your dog whom was bred by them, in the event you cannot keep the dog anymore. In Singapore, it might be difficult to do some of the things mentioned above, since so many of our puppies are imported, mostly from Australia.

We know of quite a number of Singaporean residents who have flown all the way to the foreign country (e.g. Australia, NZ, UK) due to quarantine waiver and bought puppies from the good breeders there since there is no good breeder of that breed in Singapore.

Dogs, like all other pets, are members of a family. They live with you for over 12-15 years. Hence, it is a wise thing to do your homework before getting one.

http://www.dogpeople.org/PuppyMill.htm

tremor

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
har then like that how am I ever going to get a dog?

I don't know which pet shop is reliable and which breeder is.

Can we have a list here? although we should encourage people to always adopt. but for people who insist on buying puppies, such list will be very useful and ensure that puppy mills and unethical pet shop people do not grow bigger.

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
hai..... sad for the dog.. see some pic the dog face is very sad.. :(

if someone happend to see this kind of thing in singapore pls report to ava or spca.. not only on dog but also cat, hamster etc

ProjectMayhem

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
har then like that how am I ever going to get a dog?

I don't know which pet shop is reliable and which breeder is.

Can we have a list here? although we should encourage people to always adopt. but for people who insist on buying puppies, such list will be very useful and ensure that puppy mills and unethical pet shop people do not grow bigger.

agree with u...i think the most practical way to hit back in this case is to have a list so that people know which ones to avoid and which ones not to

skysky3110

Reaction score
i am seriously considering adopting one now...anyway, i hope those bloody mill operators have their retribution one day :s27:

By the way, how are the standard of those Australia breeders, which supply most of the puppies in those bigger scale pet shop in singapore? anyone knows anything about them ??

CFC

Reaction score
skysky3110: and why are you promoting them? sigh.. u shouldn't even post the link. Now those interesting to earn some quick buck by mating their bitch will have avenues to turn to.

tremor : contact SKC for their list of registered breeder of individual breed. I wouldn't say that these breeders are no puppy-mill operators, but at least being a SKC registered breeder counts for something, ya?

Nichi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
dun bother buying dogs la...

got many nice ones up for adoption...

P290108_1716.jpg

goldie took over from my cousin.

maltese westie mixed got it via ASD

P1000400.jpg

Photo-0008.jpg

pepperthrow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my heart always sank when i am in pasir ris those breeding farm.. at the back of my mind, i keep thinking the condition inside wont be anything better.. it is afterall a puppymill :(

yes, please adopt...

my wish is that all puppymills will close down!!!!!!!!!!!!

CatLuVer

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Best is adopt.. The cats also getting the same fate as dogs in petshops...

Ard 2004 i went to a pet shop near parkway parade wif my frens. We saw many high breed kittens/ puppies inside displays. They were all veri active. But we saw one kitten who was not active and just sit in one corner and looked veri depressed, and sick. We asked one of the assistants abt this kittens condition.

He replied tat this kitten misses her mommy cat veri much and refuse to eat and cooperate wif them. The assistant told us tat this type of kittens/ puppies will be put to sleep if they refuse to eat or become active cos no ppl will buy them... :eek: Imagine the horror and sadness when me and my frens hear tat news... We immediately walk out of the store... fed up :mad:

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Wht the!!! they r not a human they r a evil! those so call pet farm hor.. look gd in front bad @ the back no1 know... & some of their dog not reallly very health some even have common skin problem...

sheeeryl

Reaction score
hmmmm even if they claim themselves to be Australian breeders, they can fake the certs also. well, if degrees and masters can be faked, why not dog certs? these pics are from overseas. but think about the farms in singapore. esp pasir ris and seletar. have u walked through the farms b4? esp the one at THE ANIMAL RESORT. its like a HOT BAKING OVEN in there. and its open air under the sun, near the pond. if we feel hot in there, what about the puppies?

and i always see people selling dogs on a lot of free classifieds. and some of them are too young to be sold! if u really love pets, u'll get what i mean.

alot pple who get dogs from petshop always end up with sick dogs, like infections and kennel cough. some even had to be put down after a few thousands dollar of medical fees and the dog itself costs 1K+

singapore's situation may not be that bad, but trust me, there's a lot of dirty stuff going behind these farms. its justhidden away from the public eye.

the best is to adopt. some dogs in SPCA have spent majority of their life in their cuz the cuter and younger ones always get adopted, but not them. dogs are all the same.

skysky3110

Reaction score
skysky3110: and why are you promoting them? sigh.. u shouldn't even post the link. Now those interesting to earn some quick buck by mating their bitch will have avenues to turn to.
?

I am NOT promoting for them. after i read the thread, i just google search and there is it. Any 1 who wants to be a dog pimp can get the link very easily. Just trying to make a point that many ppl out there are doing that and so easily accessible. btw, i have edited the post if that makes you feel more comfortable. :look:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.