Choosing NUS Hall: Help!

frinters

Reaction score
I am probably going to enrol in NUS this year and need help choosing which Hall/Residence to stay in. Any NUS hostel residents here to share their experiences living in hostel?

A few questions I have:

1) Is it better to stay in Hall or Residence? Which one is easier to get in?

2) How are the rooms and facilities like? Are they about the same across all halls/residences, or do some have better facilities?

3) Double bedder or single bedder better?

4) Which halls are well-known for what? For e.g. which halls are more peaceful, which ones more noisy, etc?

5) Are the rumours about scary roommates (unhygienic, noisy, smoking) true? Or are most of the people quite civilised?

Sorry if there are threads dealing with this issue already, I did a search but couldn't find anything specific. If there are please link me to them, thanks.

Last edited:

The_Davis

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
1. what's the ultimate reason for you to stay in hall?
2. do you realise that the hostel fee will be increasing steadily over the next few semesters? (Do a bit of research on that first before you consider.. the raise is quite a lot)

frinters

Reaction score
1. what's the ultimate reason for you to stay in hall?
2. do you realise that the hostel fee will be increasing steadily over the next few semesters? (Do a bit of research on that first before you consider.. the raise is quite a lot)
I have no choice... I'm a foreigner. =:p

Geforce3

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for FTs, 1st year got protection, after that compete with the rest of the cohort via CCA points

gentori

Master Member
Reaction score
I am probably going to enrol in NUS this year and need help choosing which Hall/Residence to stay in. Any NUS hostel residents here to share their experiences living in hostel?

A few questions I have:

1) Is it better to stay in Hall or Residence? Which one is easier to get in?

2) How are the rooms and facilities like? Are they about the same across all halls/residences, or do some have better facilities?

3) Double bedder or single bedder better?

4) Which halls are well-known for what? For e.g. which halls are more peaceful, which ones more noisy, etc?

5) Are the rumours about scary roommates (unhygienic, noisy, smoking) true? Or are most of the people quite civilised?

Sorry if there are threads dealing with this issue already, I did a search but couldn't find anything specific. If there are please link me to them, thanks.

1) There are more interactions in hall as compared to residence. So it depends on you. Residences should be easier to get in since there are more rooms (in PGP, RVR, Kuok Fundation)

2) If I'm not wrong, there are some rooms with air-con in PGP, and of course the rental is higher.

Sheares (my hall) and Kent Ridge are new buildings as compared to the rest.

3) I think you mean single or double room. Single- more privacy.

Some halls (SH and KR) only have single rooms.

4) Sports- EH, TH
Culture- KR, SH. KE7, RH

5) There are definitely bad room mates. It just depend on your luck.

Last edited:

dskw

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1) Stay in Hall first cos its harder to get in after the first year (imo). Better or no is individual preference :)

2) This one you can go individual websites to check. But dont expect too much...

3) I prefer single. More privacy.

4) As gentori mentioned, EH and TH (my hall) are known for sports. I can't remember what the rest are known for. But i didnt come to TH with the thought of doing any sports, so you can apply to any hall actually. Dont restrict yourself.

5) If you get single room, you'll have less of such problems right? :D

kiatlaw

Reaction score
1) Generally if im not wrong, Kuok and Ridge View are reserved for Year 2s and above. the only available residence is PGP. But hall life would be more activity filled, depending on ur liking then.

2) KR and Sheares have all single rooms. TH, EH, RH, KE7 both have double room and single rooms. uh only pgp has aircon rooms, but it'll be more ex. for single rooms it will be 75 per week for this coming workyear, 90 the following workyear, and 100 the next following workyear.

3) Double is cheaper, but if you get a stinky room-mate, then its a risk you take then.

4) dskw has mentioned EH and EH are known for sports. Kent Ridge and Sheares for culture. RH for handball, ke7 is nearer to science and culture as well.

5) i guess the world is filled with different personalities. thats the beauty of it, isnt it?

Geforce3

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
whatever it is, pls chiong cca pts or be in the mc for some faculty clubs

frinters

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! Also, I have another question: Can you stay in the Hall/Residence during vacation? And can you request to share a double room with a friend, or is it all strictly randomly assigned?

gentori

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! Also, I have another question: Can you stay in the Hall/Residence during vacation? And can you request to share a double room with a friend, or is it all strictly randomly assigned?

1) There is such a thing called vacation stay.

2) Room allocation for freshmen is done randomly. (unless you know ppl from the Hall Junior Common Room Committee)

Otherwise, you'll only be able to choose a room as a year 2 (and above) returning senior.

kiatlaw

Reaction score
Can, most people in my hall actually stay for the one month break cos too lazy to move out :)

syko86

Reaction score
I've a similar question as well. Hall or residence? Which one would you all recommend?

gentori

Master Member
Reaction score
I think SH was chosen becoz there is/ are exco members who are from SH bah.

Anyway, SH is a nice place for a camp. But are you staying in?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.