Johor Bahru - share is caring

Status
Not open for further replies.

durkheimian

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi all, let's discuss jb in this thread.
everything is welcomed.. toll fees, good food, supermarket, cheap petrol, nice shopping centres...

worthy mentions:

bus services
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=1998908
special thanks suangern

i start off by sharing a scam i encountered when my friend and i drove up there last week.

on the return trip, we filled the tank at the caltex near the checkpoint. after filling up, a lady approached our car and knocked on our window, signaling for us to wind it down. having read about scams in jb, we wound down just a little.

she proclaimed to be 'agent' for the city square anniversary promo and required us to tear open a 'lucky draw coupon'. if there is a 'thank you', just sign on it to acknowledge and she would get a commission. my coupon was the 'thank you' version, i drew a tortoise on it for her to 'claim commission'. my friend got the 'winning' coupon. and the 'agent promptly produced a newspaper clipping to try to proof that the prizes exists. she went on to request(almost to begging) that we give her a ride to her agency to claim the prize, also mentioning that she'll get commission for that. of cos, we did not agree.. she went on to beg us to do so, stressing on the 'commission' she'll get.

my friend told her, "we're in a rush"
she replied(or beg), "please mister, i can get commission for this"

i told her off by saying, "since you said the prizes is so good, you can give it to others, i'm sure there will be people who will take it"
her face changed and say, "ok", and walked off

suspicions:
1. the coupon i got was observably opened before and sticked back
2. if she could get comm by me signing, then she could just sign on all the 'thank you' herself
3. city square lucky draw is entered by min. spending of RM50
4. she wanted a lift from us
5. she did not produced any identity card

Last edited:

suangern

Reaction score
Do not entertain to ppl who claim to have lucky draw scratch and win cards. Don't ever give a thing on it, even they are from shopping centre or watever dept store. Those scams are very common in Malaysia, not only JB.

just remember, dont ever participate in them. dont be conned. we're in a foreign country, we're the foreigners.

Say NO to scratch and win cards
Say NO to lucky draw promotions

:s12::s12:

Kaki369

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
come to think of it.. they're very smart...enteprising..

but whats their sole objective? to get a free ride?

i think if i kena such case.. i`ll just pass the person a RM5 or 10 bill and say ciao.. guess they'll mostly get out of my sight..

durkheimian

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
come to think of it.. they're very smart...enteprising..

but whats their sole objective? to get a free ride?

i think if i kena such case.. i`ll just pass the person a RM5 or 10 bill and say ciao.. guess they'll mostly get out of my sight..
duno leh.. from the way that scammer talk, it seems to me she want to rob us more than anything. cos she want us to give her a ride in our car to her 'agent office'.

and recently got a lot of people holding cards and trying to 'advertise' people in dire situation at the tunnel just after the customs. "this old man got 27 tubes connected to the body" something like that.

i also dunno whether they real or scam one.. i only donate to the st john students.

durkheimian

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
haircut in jb is cheap.

just did a 'wash and cut' at tebrau city's Jantzen for RM32 (same package cost SGD24 in singapore).
good service, tea served.

will be back next time, maybe try other salon

ahnana

Reaction score
WA... JB shopping, eating, playing, massage

From wiki:Tebrau City is a shopping mall in Desa Tebrau, Johor Bahru, Malaysia. there got Karaoke isit.. hee

How far is it from the causeway? eg.. how long a drive to get there? Still don dare to drive in, everytime go in, i take cab and negotiate price before getting in. But realise sometimes ask cabby to switch on meter better.. :s13::s13:

Nv tried the massage places apart from in the shoppin malls.. if im not mistaken RM33 for 1 hr full body massage at holiday plaza (the pl like S'pore far east plaza, onli much more ah lian clothes.. alamak) cheap le lar hor..

City Sq is gd to walk walk look look .. buying clothes price is equivalent to buy in singapore (think $50 blouse selling RM100 there). Where is the must go or always go places for shoppin in JB? I am thinking working clothes like blouses /jackets/ skirts..

Where you guys always go for massage ah? hee..:D:D Many thanks for the info in advance. .

ahnana

Reaction score
found the answer

From wiki:Tebrau City is a shopping mall in Desa Tebrau, Johor Bahru, Malaysia. there got Karaoke isit.. hee

How far is it from the causeway? eg.. how long a drive to get there? Still don dare to drive in, everytime go in, i take cab and negotiate price before getting in. But realise sometimes ask cabby to switch on meter better.. :s13::s13:

Nv tried the massage places apart from in the shoppin malls.. if im not mistaken RM33 for 1 hr full body massage at holiday plaza (the pl like S'pore far east plaza, onli much more ah lian clothes.. alamak) cheap le lar hor..

City Sq is gd to walk walk look look .. buying clothes price is equivalent to buy in singapore (think $50 blouse selling RM100 there). Where is the must go or always go places for shoppin in JB? I am thinking working clothes like blouses /jackets/ skirts..

Where you guys always go for massage ah? hee..:D:D Many thanks for the info in advance. .

haha,, found the answers on the directions in the other thread.. hee..

khee

Reaction score
massage is not exactly cheap but it is around RM58 for full body massage at holiday inn... do ask for the stamp card when u r there... 10 stamp got u 1 free massage...

u can get almost everything in holiday inn... except for seafood... for ladies, the haircut there is 1/2 price compare to sg... fashion wise is not tat bad... Pedicure and Medicure is cheap also and equally good...

if u want to venture further, it will be terbaru city... more modern shopping... but cab fare is expensive if u dun drive... if u drive and dunno the place, just drive striaght lah... after u see carefour, u can see that place liao...

durkheimian

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

drive there quite easy.. tebrau highway just shoot all the way can liao..

i usually take bus, cos i realise about the same speed as take taxi, maybe slower by 10 mins the most. but the fare is way way cheaper at RM1.90 - RM2.00

went to pelangi plaza, but not much to see. i think they have some hair salon with nice concepts, quite a few gift shops, a Popular bookstore, Secret Recipe, Macdonalds, Starbuck, Cold storage and there is also a KTV there. oh ya, recently realised that there is dunkin donut there as well. outside pelangi plaze, there is a whole stretch of shophouses, plenty selling food.. a relaxing walk down that stretch may be rewarded with some unknown nice food..

ahnana83

Reaction score
You guys the best man.. so prompt and accurate

So excited to go n see see tebrau city this coming weekend! haha.. went to the webby and see see,, there got G2000!! haha.. cn find got nice work clothes or not.. is it cheap there? the clothes? or like city sq (50 bucks blouse in singapore sell 100 Rm) :(:( haha..

ahnana83

Reaction score
u can get almost everything in holiday inn... except for seafood... for ladies, the haircut there is 1/2 price compare to sg... fashion wise is not tat bad... Pedicure and Medicure is cheap also and equally good...
Ya lor im thinkin i go in a few more times, maybe 1 more time, then i dare to drive in.. i think jus be careful n low profile, don drive to ulu ulu places should be able to come back in 1 pc. hee..:s31::s31::o holiday inn is it the same as holiday plaza? cos i know beside holiday plaza the hotel is there. you mean other than the hotel there are shops inside the hotel? like marina sq and pan pacific like that (not v gd example) ?

durkheimian

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
actually, i think it is call holiday plaza, the place that sell friendly dvds.
dunno why people call it holiday inn, maybe last time the hotel beside it is called holiday inn.

ahnana83

Reaction score
Rent Car

Wa.. you power man.. jus came back from Bkk you.. hee..=:p=:p actually i saw a lot of car rental at johore, still not confident to drive my car in.. hee.. but so wanted to drive ard JB.. anybody rent car there b4? Wat is the procedure like? Actually i'll get my answers when i go in this fri on the 19th.. TAKING 1 day off just to go in!! haa.. n to clear my leave la.. will go tebrau city!! WEE.. take bus 1st..:s12::s12:

durkheimian

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wa.. you power man.. jus came back from Bkk you.. hee..=:p=:p actually i saw a lot of car rental at johore, still not confident to drive my car in.. hee.. but so wanted to drive ard JB.. anybody rent car there b4? Wat is the procedure like? Actually i'll get my answers when i go in this fri on the 19th.. TAKING 1 day off just to go in!! haa.. n to clear my leave la.. will go tebrau city!! WEE.. take bus 1st..:s12::s12:
yea lor.. bangkok is so messy.. in terms of weather i mean. morning to afternoon burn like hell, then rain cats and dogs.

actually if you want to shop for a lot of things, you rent car there also not practical cos in the end, you still gotta carry the stuff across the customs yourself. you can't drive the car away remember. but if its just for driving pleasure, then i guess its alright. i drive there a bit before. actually, i entered from tuas, then dunno which exit to use, then just anyhow hoot one and follow signboard, then reached woodlands. but if you want to go tebrau city, its quite easy, just shoot all the way tebrau highway can liao.

take bus also very simple. behind city square, just board the bus with the signboard that says Jusco tebrau or anything like that can liao.. if not, just ask the driver "Jusco?" s/he will nod or shake head.

all the best for your trip, enjoy

suangern

Reaction score
if enter thru 2nd link, followed along the highway (signages that tell you "Johor Bahru") will lead you to jb. i feel that the toll fee at 2nd link is daylight robbery manz!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.