Advice on Penang

Jaypct

Reaction score
I am thinking of going penang next month for a short break, seeking advice from expert here

Have anyone stay at Park Royal Penang before?? how is the location?? and the transfer from bus terminal to hotel, what is the price like?? any must visit place??

SecretAgent

Banned
Reaction score
Keklok si(the temple on the hill), Gurney drive hawker ctr dinner supper, take a walk around George town and hunt for dimsum breakfast in the morning, have Laksa for lunch and teabreak! :lick:

beanstalk6

Reaction score
You got yourself a hotel at the beach, quite a distance from town. You will be using a particular public bus service a lot then, to get to town and Gurney Drive.

s6656

Reaction score
Are you suggesting that hotel in georgetown will be better??

Park Royal is a very good place to relax. Its by the beach and if u love beach than this is it.

If u are not driving that a little bit inconvenient but there are taxis and rates are ok.
Not sure abt buses.

Great place to relax and food.

Chlorpheniramine

Reaction score
Hmm... if I remember correctly, the last time I took a bus from Georgetown to Batu Ferringhi, it was a 30-45min ride.

Given a choice, I'd much rather stay within Georgetown, specifically, north of Komtar. Walking around the old town and savouring the food is, to me, the main draw of a Penang trip.

Batu Ferringhi is better than any of Singapore's beaches, but then again, that's not saying much. I've been there once, and am not inclined to return.

Jaypct

Reaction score
Hm... let me relook into the tourist map and decide... maybe staying in georgetown is not a bad idea afterall. If taxi rate is not more then RM10 per way to gurney dr or town, i will stilll stay in feringggi

Chlorpheniramine

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the taxi fare will be more than RM10... it's a pretty long ride. But hey, don't take my word for it, you might enjoy the beach more than I did.

Do check out http://www.rasarasa.net/section.cfm?id=233 for food suggestions. You'll find several notable eateries in the area between Lebuh Chulia and Komtar.

I definitely recommend these (amongst many others!):
http://www.rasarasa.net/article.cfm?id=1332 The specialties listed are all excellent. Even my girlfriend's mum, who's a fussy eater, still speaks fondly of the heh cho/chim cho, and proclaims that nothing in Singapore bears comparison.

http://www.rasarasa.net/article.cfm?id=629 Not cheap by hawker standards, but good. If the queue is long, the nearest competitor, the old man across the street, whips up equally good fare.

If you visit Kek Lok Si, don't miss the muah chee vendors near the entrance. Best I've ever eaten.

Might be heading north again in Dec/Jan for another waistline-expanding trip.

Jaypct

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice... i might be staying in feringgi for 2 nights follow by another night in george town... trying to confirm everything today, your advice really comes in time... THANKS buddy.

I'm pretty sure the taxi fare will be more than RM10... it's a pretty long ride. But hey, don't take my word for it, you might enjoy the beach more than I did.

Do check out http://www.rasarasa.net/section.cfm?id=233 for food suggestions. You'll find several notable eateries in the area between Lebuh Chulia and Komtar.

I definitely recommend these (amongst many others!):
http://www.rasarasa.net/article.cfm?id=1332 The specialties listed are all excellent. Even my girlfriend's mum, who's a fussy eater, still speaks fondly of the heh cho/chim cho, and proclaims that nothing in Singapore bears comparison.

http://www.rasarasa.net/article.cfm?id=629 Not cheap by hawker standards, but good. If the queue is long, the nearest competitor, the old man across the street, whips up equally good fare.

If you visit Kek Lok Si, don't miss the muah chee vendors near the entrance. Best I've ever eaten.

Might be heading north again in Dec/Jan for another waistline-expanding trip.

Chlorpheniramine

Reaction score
Most welcome... enjoy your trip!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention... if you happen to be there during Christmas, they have a Chingay parade on Christmas Day itself. Don't ask me why! It's quite spectacular and tradition-based, very different from the ridiculous yet sanitised Singapore version. And it takes place all along the streets with no barriers whatsoever, so you get really close for photos if you want. Wide-angle is a must.

Jaypct

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, i will be leaving for Penang tomorrow night, have not fix a return date yet, might cross over for 2 nights in Langkawi, guess will be back by monday next week. will try to take some pictures and post here

Ch3tah_39

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Pardon my noob-ness..
I read abt Nibong Tebal Firefly watching.. Is it very difficult to get there?

suangern

Reaction score
nibong tebal is located at peninsular malaysia, near the penang-perak state border. some distance from georgetown.

fourarms

Reaction score
Hi, will be going to Penang next month. We will be in Ipoh prior to that and will be staying at GeorgeTown. Anyone can advise whether we should go to Butterworth first or take a direct bus to Penang? I was told the new bus terminal in Penang is a distance away.

tt32003

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, will be going to Penang next month. We will be in Ipoh prior to that and will be staying at GeorgeTown. Anyone can advise whether we should go to Butterworth first or take a direct bus to Penang? I was told the new bus terminal in Penang is a distance away.

If you are staying at Georgetown, maybe better to go to butterworth and take the ferry to cross over.
The buses that go straight to the bus terminal in Penang will use the bridge and stop at Gelugor which is quite a distance away from Georgetown.

fourarms

Reaction score
We are thinking of taking the ferry to Langkawi for a day trip (to the cable car). There is a ferry service run by Langkawi Ferry Services. It seems a little costly. Are there other safe and reliable ferry services available?

How do we get to the Cable car station from the ferry terminal?

Jaypct

Reaction score
We are thinking of taking the ferry to Langkawi for a day trip (to the cable car). There is a ferry service run by Langkawi Ferry Services. It seems a little costly. Are there other safe and reliable ferry services available?

There is a bus available to travel to the ferry terminal, can't remember the number, if i am not wrong, its U101, if not you can choose the take a cab, its rather expensive there, do bargain hard

s6656

Reaction score

Bro ferry quite ex. Think it is abt RM 50 one way. 4 hr journey. Not sure if u want to do as a day trip.

But the cable car is the best in terms of view and it is a adventure by itself. Just took few days ago:D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.