Which MBA?

aisehman

Reaction score
Guys,

I stumbled upon this forum while I was doing my research on part-time MBA. You guys are great!

I'm a regional manager in my late 20s, working for a European MNC and they have agreed to sponsor my MBA but I'm having second thoughts on:

1) Is MBA really that great? Should I get into something 'general' like MBA (it's so popular now) or should I get into something 'niche' like M.Sc in Supply Chain Management or M.Sc in International Business etc?

2) If it's MBA, i'm not sure which are the right MBA to take. I know I can't afford to go CSB, Insead, Stanford etc top-tier business school, hence, I would have to go for cheaper alternatives - mid-tier ones. Does it makes any difference of any mid-tier business school I pick? Take Strathchlyde and Manchester, does it makes any difference? Maybe this will lead me to my next question.

3) If it's part-time MBA, which school has a more well-rounded curriculum that focus on students development as a professional? I have enough of NTU/NUS style of teaching which is courseworks after courseworks, exams after exams - Are there any good and reputatable part-time MBA school out there that doesn't 'force' students to learn in this manner?

Hope you guys can help..

danzodanzo

Reaction score
1. Depending on your primary objectives of doing the MBA
- career switch vs advancement; knowledge development vs paper development, or both etc...

2. Check out their curriculum and see how they fits into your personal circumstances. Beyond this, you might also want to research the school management and consider where the school would be in say the next 5-20 years of your career.
MBA education is now a very competitive industry; will the school increase in rank/reputation/brand equity that will benefit its alumni?
Take Strathchlyde and Manchester, How much are you willing to pay now for the "future growth/value" you estimate it could give?

3. If you want a rigorous MBA, you can't escape from assessments in the form of assignments, group work, projects or exams.

Guys,

I stumbled upon this forum while I was doing my research on part-time MBA. You guys are great!

I'm a regional manager in my late 20s, working for a European MNC and they have agreed to sponsor my MBA but I'm having second thoughts on:

1) Is MBA really that great? Should I get into something 'general' like MBA (it's so popular now) or should I get into something 'niche' like M.Sc in Supply Chain Management or M.Sc in International Business etc?

2) If it's MBA, i'm not sure which are the right MBA to take. I know I can't afford to go CSB, Insead, Stanford etc top-tier business school, hence, I would have to go for cheaper alternatives - mid-tier ones. Does it makes any difference of any mid-tier business school I pick? Take Strathchlyde and Manchester, does it makes any difference? Maybe this will lead me to my next question.

3) If it's part-time MBA, which school has a more well-rounded curriculum that focus on students development as a professional? I have enough of NTU/NUS style of teaching which is courseworks after courseworks, exams after exams - Are there any good and reputatable part-time MBA school out there that doesn't 'force' students to learn in this manner?

Hope you guys can help..

Last edited:

AlucardHellSing1980

Reaction score
hi can anyone guide me how to apply Manchester or Stracytle MBA in Singapore? I tried searching thru the net and only find the school website itself. Do I need to travel to study or in Singapore for both?

What are MBA is recommended to study in Singapore besides the two mention above? Thanks.

cfachick

Reaction score
hi can anyone guide me how to apply Manchester or Stracytle MBA in Singapore? I tried searching thru the net and only find the school website itself. Do I need to travel to study or in Singapore for both?

What are MBA is recommended to study in Singapore besides the two mention above? Thanks.

Call the respective office for more details...Tink both are study in Singapore.

Manchester - http://www.mbs-worldwide.ac.uk/global_network/singapore/singapore_contactus.asp

Strathclyde - http://www.gsb.strath.ac.uk/mba/studyoptions/international/singapore/default.asp

cetaphil

Reaction score
hi there

for those studying at Times for the Strathchlyde MBA, can i ask what are the class days and hours? I mean weekdays or weekends, Sat or Sun and weekdays night time what time.

I am considering to take up this but worried about the hours as I cant make it to leave office early.

Lastly, if you are given a choice, which will you take from the following?

1)University of Manchester
2) University of Nottingham
3) Unversity of Western Australia
4) University of Strathclyde
5) University of Hull
6) University of Bradford
7) University of Adelaide
8) University of Birmingham

Regards

Last edited:

direbmem

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi there

for those studying at Times for the Strathchlyde MBA, can i ask what are the class days and hours? I mean weekdays or weekends, Sat or Sun and weekdays night time what time.

I am considering to take up this but worried about the hours as I cant make it to leave office early.

5) University of Hull

Regards
initially i feel UMan is the better of the lot but after i see the above posters describe until i feel strathclyde is the better and more value for money of the lot...

weicong

Reaction score
hi there

5) University of Hull

Regards

Y you exclude the birmingham MBA? Is it really that bad??

infocard9886

Reaction score
hi there

5) University of Hull

Regards

Intensive seminars and workshops are on sat and sun ( 9 am to 5pm), once to twice a month. Local counselling sessions are on weekdays, twice a week from 7pm to 9 pm. Attendance is required only for workshop. You can miss all the classes but still be able to attend exams.But most of us will attend all classes available unless we are overseas for work.

We can do our electives at other international centres. My classmates and I will be going to Glasgow for our elective next year for better exposure.

ac3knight

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Intensive seminars and workshops are on sat and sun ( 9 am to 5pm), once to twice a month. Local counselling sessions are on weekdays, twice a week from 7pm to 9 pm. Attendance is required only for workshop. You can miss all the classes but still be able to attend exams.But most of us will attend all classes available unless we are overseas for work.

We can do our electives at other international centres. My classmates and I will be going to Glasgow for our elective next year for better exposure.
must you remained employed during the course?

or can u quit after u've enrolled?

smartfish

Reaction score
MBA

So may i know about the management staff, especially our programme administrator, are they help type? To me the administrator plays a impt role, as they will provides guidelines and help us channel our communications with the Uni people if we need to ask some questions.

smartfish

Reaction score
MBA

I called Times few days ago. The staff from there told me that they are moving to YMCA... I am so shocked to know about it as a organisation in Education and going to move to YMCA charity company????

lincoln_wang

Reaction score
I called Times few days ago. The staff from there told me that they are moving to YMCA... I am so shocked to know about it as a organisation in Education and going to move to YMCA charity company????

The reason for this is because Uni of Strathclyde is also a non-profit organisation, so a move to YMCA will better reflect this. My comments about Strathclyde still stands valid although the only difference I foresee is a different location for the conduct of lectures thats all. The programme administrator will be reassigned to YMCA and i would expect the lecturers to be the same too.

cfachick

Reaction score
strathclyde mba

The reason for this is because Uni of Strathclyde is also a non-profit organisation, so a move to YMCA will better reflect this. My comments about Strathclyde still stands valid although the only difference I foresee is a different location for the conduct of lectures thats all. The programme administrator will be reassigned to YMCA and i would expect the lecturers to be the same too.

Lincoln , are u still doing your strathclyde mba?

Strathclyde mba is one of my shortlisted choice other than lancaster and manchester as one of my good friend is currently studying the strathclyde prog at TIMES and is raving abt the good support he receive from the staff.

However,I recently received an email from TIMES stating that the sales staff is leaving and will not be joining YMCA. Not only that, my friend had confirmed that the admin staff had informed that she is not joining YMCA too. Even my friend himself was worried about the support he will get in future.

The skeptical side of me cannot help but tink that something must be wrong with YMCA. I checked out the YMCA education website and it seems that they do not have experience in running such programme.

I have my concerns as proper admin must be adequate for a full fledged mba course. MBA is not a self study course like CFA. And I definitely will not pay 30 k to be the guinea pig for a provider who had no experience in running such prog.

Can anyone who is still studying the strathclyde mba also confirm this, for the benefit of us who are considering the strathclyde mba?

smartfish

Reaction score
That's really sound bad and something not right... :eek:

30k is alot money, better think wisely..

Lincoln , are u still doing your strathclyde mba?

Strathclyde mba is one of my shortlisted choice other than lancaster and manchester as one of my good friend is currently studying the strathclyde prog at TIMES and is raving abt the good support he receive from the staff.

However,I recently received an email from TIMES stating that the sales staff is leaving and will not be joining YMCA. Not only that, my friend had confirmed that the admin staff had informed that she is not joining YMCA too. Even my friend himself was worried about the support he will get in future.

The skeptical side of me cannot help but tink that something must be wrong with YMCA. I checked out the YMCA education website and it seems that they do not have experience in running such programme.

I have my concerns as proper admin must be adequate for a full fledged mba course. MBA is not a self study course like CFA. And I definitely will not pay 30 k to be the guinea pig for a provider who had no experience in running such prog.

Can anyone who is still studying the strathclyde mba also confirm this, for the benefit of us who are considering the strathclyde mba?

ravenlim

Reaction score
ya Strathcylde MBA pgm is now under YMCA... $33K part time 24mths
While Manchester MBA pgm is a whooping $51K now :eek: part time 3~3.5yrs.
Any1 went for the Bradford MBA pgm under MDIS part time 24mths?
any comments/ feedback? :s11:

Last edited:

sengkangboy

Reaction score
Do you have to be employed to take MBA ? I am planning to quit and take a break and then do a fulltime MBA after 8 years in the industry.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.