READ THIS FIRST! VIEWS ON UNIVERSITIES & DEGREES RECOGNITION IN SINGAPORE

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAYAN

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the universitites in other commonwealth countries are also true blue universities too and regulated by their own governments.

I believe I have to clarify before your post leads other forumers to have the wrong impression that I infer to the other universities in Commonwealth countries as being non-true blue or unregulated.

My next few paragraphs, after the one you highlighted in red, did discuss about the degrees awarded by foreign universities, and the reality of how their degrees are viewed by local employers in general, despite being accredited and recognized.

Shiok!

Reaction score
I believe I have to clarify before your post leads other forumers to have the wrong impression that I infer to the other universities in Commonwealth countries as being non-true blue or unregulated.

My next few paragraphs, after the one you highlighted in red, did discuss about the degrees awarded by foreign universities, and the reality of how their degrees are viewed by local employers in general, despite being accredited and recognized.

To me, as long it is a commonwealth and bonafide university, it should be recognised in singapore.

It will pretty dumb to discredit overseas commonwealth universities that are 100 year old and have produced many successful people like Adelaide and Melbourn University

Shiok!

Reaction score
and btw our NTU , NUS and SMU will be nowhere now without those 100 year old commonwealth universities. We have borrowed from them their system and using it.

JAYAN

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To me, as long it is a commonwealth and bonafide university, it should be recognised in singapore.

It will pretty dumb to discredit overseas commonwealth universities that are 100 year old and have produced many successful people like Adelaide and Melbourn University

Hi Shiok!

Well, I certainly hope that what you mentioned is true too, but ultimately reality prevails.

There is no point in arguing until the cow comes home when the boss of the company simply do not think highly of the degree one has. I have my fair share of disappointments too, but one has to learn to accept this.

Visualize this scenario - with a few thousands job applications to process, the HR person doing the screening have only less than a minute to scan through every CV. Those that the HR person are unfamiliar with will more likely than not go into the trash can.

Just take the Association of Commonwealth Universities for example, with more than 500 member universities from 5 different continents, you cannot expect all employers or their HR people in Singapore to be aware of all of the ACU universities.

Shiok!

Reaction score

Hi Shiok!

Well, I certainly hope that what you mentioned is true too, but ultimately reality prevails.

There is no point in arguing until the cow comes home when the boss of the company simply do not think highly of the degree one has. I have my fair share of disappointments too, but one has to learn to accept this.

Visualize this scenario - with a few thousands job applications to process, the HR person doing the screening have only less than a minute to scan through every CV. Those that the HR person are unfamiliar with will more likely than not go into the trash can.

Just take the Association of Commonwealth Universities for example, with more than 500 member universities from 5 different continents, you cannot expect all employers or their HR people in Singapore to be aware of all of the ACU universities.

such a company only exists in singapore.If it hink such company exists, it must not be a good one . HR sucks..

Shiok!

Reaction score
In australia and other countries, they give recognistion for prior learning and education even if the degree u studied is from Africa, Sri Lanka ect..So let me ask u , are there bonafide and established unis in those countries?

Last edited:

Shiok!

Reaction score

Hi Shiok!

such a company only exists in singapore.If u hink such company exists, it must not be a good one . HR sucks..
What they do is just look through and see what catches their eye?

Just le tme tell u watever u studied in US, UK and Australia even though it may not be recognised is leagues better than our own sucky education system which doesnt train people to think right out of the box.

If i am an employer, i would not pick from the local pool of poly graduates. IMO, they are useless who just went in line with the motion

Shiok!

Reaction score

U mean local employers or MNCs?

As far as i know, (correct me) , MNCs have more knowledge in ACU universities, but local companies as in singaporean employers, i just feel sorry for them as they definitey in the losing end. Lack of knowledge is not an excuse
because our economy does not revolve around them, it revolves around MNCs.
Thank you

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I wonder whats Shiok! background... hmm... must not be a local poly grad.. some elite?
elite wanna go Monash?
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?p=36337386#post36337386

I see him/her repeating this statement "such a company only exists in singapore.If it hink such company exists, it must not be a good one . HR sucks.. " over stressing a little?

MNC have more knowledge of ACU Uni? HR in MNC and other Biz not local?

this claim.. "Just le tme tell u watever u studied in US, UK and Australia even though it may not be recognised is leagues better than our own sucky education system which doesnt train people to think right out of the box."
Have U studied in these Uni b4 to make the claim? Anything to support this groundless generalization? We don't have to consider lower tier Uni.. Uni like University of Michigan--Dearborn (tier 1 Uni according to USNEWs) whats your take? how much better than local?

weicong

Reaction score
Since the topic is about "VIEWS ON UNIVERSITIES & DEGREES RECOGNITION IN SINGAPORE", I think I will share my real-life experience as well.

My distance learning I.T degree is from Uni of Newcastle, which I studied part time at PSB. It took me around 1 years 10 months to cover 10 modules and complete the degree.

My views on how recongized my degree is in the I.T industry. Ok, my experiences is still ok, smaller companies do not care where you do your degree, or how famous you degree is, at least applicable to the degree jobs I applied. Reason because elites (local grad) will seldom applied these companies so the smaller companies cannot be fussy as well. I do face problems with bigger MNC, where the interviewers are more cocky, proud, I believe because they have alot more applicants to choose from, thus the attitude.

However, after I clocked my experiences in the smaller companies, I do have job offers even from 1 of the stat board, even in bad times like this where jobs are supposely to be harder to find, because I have applied to like > 30 companies already and responses were very much slower than the past. In fact, I thought I stand no chance because I always thought government prefer local graduates and the job advertisment did state "Good degree in Information Technology with at least 2 years of experience". Pay wise I believe is still a decent degree salary, however, still lower than what I was expecting, but I do have no choice because due to the bad times now, it is really hard to get even get another job interview.

I hope this will give some encouragement to brothers out there, that even our government are willing to hire distance learning degree holders.

In fact, I am quite keen to try take up a part time distance learning MBA in future, to see if government do recognized it.

Last edited:

m33soup

Reaction score
I got a BSc in Biz & mgt from MDIS under university of bradford. And I applied for a diploma position with ministry of foreign affairs. when i went for the interview, a girl who was earlier than me me in the interview told me that she asked the interviewer (HR director) of MFA if they recognised external deg. the interviewer said no. govt bodies generally don't recognised external deg thru distance learning. That's why I was quite upset that I've wasted my parents' money. if the govt body does not recognise external deg via distance learning how can they expect pte organisation to recognise...

SposSG

Reaction score
if the govt body does not recognise external deg via distance learning how can they expect pte organisation to recognise...

the govt does NOT expect pte organisations to recognise DL degrees. where did you get that idea from?? :s11:

punk06

Reaction score
I got a BSc in Biz & mgt from MDIS under university of bradford. And I applied for a diploma position with ministry of foreign affairs. when i went for the interview, a girl who was earlier than me me in the interview told me that she asked the interviewer (HR director) of MFA if they recognised external deg. the interviewer said no. govt bodies generally don't recognised external deg thru distance learning. That's why I was quite upset that I've wasted my parents' money. if the govt body does not recognise external deg via distance learning how can they expect pte organisation to recognise...

if govt oso recognize DL degree, pls tell mi :) cos i see no pt in studying in a local uni:s13:
may as well buang O levels den do private dip followed by private degree:look: generally private route less stress, cost of edn would be comparable wif local U .:o

3 yr UOL degree abt 24 K
4yr nus/ntu degree oso abt 24K.

so pls dont complain k:s22:

JAYAN

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Official Position of Singapore Government On Recognition Of Degrees

How do I know that my degree is acceptable for employment in the Singapore Public Service?

For graduate positions, degrees from universities accredited by the home government of the country where the university is located will be considered for appointment into the Public Service. This applies to degrees obtained full-time or part time, through distance-learning or twinning programmes, etc. Professional qualifications such as law and accountancy from foreign institutions also need to be recognised by the relevant professional body in Singapore to be considered for appointment.

If you wish to check on the accreditation status of your degree, you can refer to relevant guidebooks such as the Commonwealth Universities Yearbook, or call the relevant education centres or professional bodies. A list of guidebooks, education centres and professional bodies can be found at "Resource - Entry Qualifications" within our website.

The Public Service does not solely look at academic qualification when choosing candidates. We also take into account other important factors such as relevant work experience, past performance (e.g. track records), as well as personal attributes like leadership abilities. The relative emphasis on each factor and the criteria set depends on the nature and level of the job, and only the candidate who best fits the overall requirements of the job will be recruited.

Source: "Help/FAQ" section of Prime Minister's Office Job Portal (https://app.vog.gov.sg/StaticContent/FAQ.aspx); correct as at 9 June 2009

Last edited:

JAYAN

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

What a shame that you choose to believe someone who was vying for the same position as yourself. Think about it, if your degree is not recognized, why should MFA's HR even waste time calling you up for an interview? For an opportunity to mock at you? Sigh...............

lumix.chua

Reaction score
shame?

What a shame that you choose to believe someone who was vying for the same position as yourself. Think about it, if your degree is not recognized, why should MFA's HR even waste time calling you up for an interview? For an opportunity to mock at you? Sigh...............

i graduated from SIM- UOL (banking and finance) with 2nd upp. MFA did offer me a position in the finance department. well, judging from the pay they offered, they are only recognising my A level qualification. what do you say? definitely, they didn't call me to mock at me. rather, i think they're seizing the opportunity to get cheaper labour.
SIGH......

Last edited:

JAYAN

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i graduated from SIM- UOL (banking and finance) with 2nd upp. MFA did offer me a position in the finance department. well, judging from the pay they offered, they are only recognising my A level qualification. what do you say? definitely, they didn't call me to mock at me. rather, i think they're seizing the opportunity to get cheaper labour.
SIGH......

Without further information, like what you're getting and what position you were offered, it is difficult to get a better picture but generally one has to look at the employment contract to see what scheme one is in and there're 3 possible schemes that a person may be appointed to (with differences in terms of salary range and benefits):

1) Management Executive Scheme (for Bachelor's degree holders, approx. $1.7K to $4K)

2) Management Support Scheme (for polytechnic diploma holders, approx. $1.5K to $2.4K)

3) Corporate Support Scheme( for GCE 'N/O/A' level holders, approx. $1K to $1.5K).

As you can see the lower end of the Management Executive Scheme's pay range actually overlaps with the Management Support Scheme. You may wish to get more information before jumping to conclusion in order to provide a better picture for the benefits of the forumers.

toot1e

Reaction score
lumix.chua please share with us if your pay is around which range.. will shed a lot of light for DL grads like us

lumix.chua

Reaction score
I took up a 3months temp as Finance Assistant and was paid on a daily basis with a miserable $54 per day. Was told by the head of department that ministry only recognised up to my A level qualification.
I have been a relief teacher. MOE doesn't recognised my degree as well. My pay was based on my A lvl quali as well.
As least i can be quite sure my degree isn't recognised by ministry.
Maybe its on a case by case basis. I wouldn't know....:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.