READ THIS FIRST! VIEWS ON UNIVERSITIES & DEGREES RECOGNITION IN SINGAPORE

Status
Not open for further replies.

lumix.chua

Reaction score
if you think you are being used as cheap labour, then why don't you just reject the offer and find a job in the private sector?

cos back then i was looking for a job and need the $$$... market not good. bo bian.

JAYAN

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I took up a 3months temp as Finance Assistant and was paid on a daily basis with a miserable $54 per day. Was told by the head of department that ministry only recognised up to my A level qualification.
I have been a relief teacher. MOE doesn't recognised my degree as well. My pay was based on my A lvl quali as well.
As least i can be quite sure my degree isn't recognised by ministry.
Maybe its on a case by case basis. I wouldn't know....:(

It should be on a case-by-case basis.

Although the SG government bodies have a general guideline (i.e. all degrees are recognized as long as they're accredited by their home countries) regarding the recognition of overseas degrees, whether they're through distance-learning or done on campus, they may have another set of more stringent internal guidelines which may exclude certain overseas degrees.

It is not uncommon for one agency to reject one's degree while another does not. Take it easy, MOE is not the only employer around.

SposSG

Reaction score
cos back then i was looking for a job and need the $$$... market not good. bo bian.

well, if you need the $$$ then you should be grateful that the govt is still hiring so much in this climate. still complain so much?

lumix.chua

Reaction score
It should be on a case-by-case basis.

Although the SG government bodies have a general guideline (i.e. all degrees are recognized as long as they're accredited by their home countries) regarding the recognition of overseas degrees, whether they're through distance-learning or done on campus, they may have another set of more stringent internal guidelines which may exclude certain overseas degrees.

It is not uncommon for one agency to reject one's degree while another does not. Take it easy, MOE is not the only employer around.

thanks dude.
maybe you're right.. but in this case, 2 agency didn't recognise my degree. :(
true enough, MOE isn't the one employer around. but i feel really disappointed when MOE didn't recognise my qualifaction as i've longed to be a teacher. (i did email moe enquiring if my degree is recognised even before i took up the DL deg. their reply was "Rather than recognise any list of degrees, MOE looks at each application in totality." which i think to a large extent isn't true.

lumix.chua

Reaction score
well, if you need the $$$ then you should be grateful that the govt is still hiring so much in this climate. still complain so much?

pls allow me to correct myself, i was doing relief teaching before i joined MFA.. and RT pays higher than MFA. i should have said i needed the experience.
i was offered other temp jobs with much higher salary. then again, i've choosen to join mfa (due to several other reasons).
thus i wasn't complaining. i'm just bothered/sadden by the fact that my DL deg wasn't recognised.
(esp now that i'm considering if i should take up another local degree...with the intention of joining teaching)

Last edited:

SposSG

Reaction score
their reply was "Rather than recognise any list of degrees, MOE looks at each application in totality." which i think to a large extent isn't true.

how you know this isn't true?
maybe you're just really not good enough?

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

DL leh... U think govt think one can stand toe-to-toe with local Ivy grads.
anyway, I do know of ppl claiming to have a copy of the super secret HR list. only dare to share names of preferred Uni, not willing to disclose full info. very siaz

lumix.chua

Reaction score

maybe. arh. i should have work harder for a first class hons.
anyway, its applicable to 95% of the dist learning (UOL) external that moe doesn't recognise the degree. the other 5% is for the benefit of doubt. maybe govt recognise 1st hons =)

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you want to take a local degree in order to become a teacher in MOE, take it from NTU/NUS/SMU but do not take it from UniSIM.

Trust me.

pls allow me to correct myself, i was doing relief teaching before i joined MFA.. and RT pays higher than MFA. i should have said i needed the experience.
i was offered other temp jobs with much higher salary. then again, i've choosen to join mfa (due to several other reasons).
thus i wasn't complaining. i'm just bothered/sadden by the fact that my DL deg wasn't recognised.
(esp now that i'm considering if i should take up another local degree...with the intention of joining teaching)

SposSG

Reaction score
Mod: Be careful, please.

sorry for the harsh tone. i was just a bit miffed at how lumix.chua was so quick to jump to conclusions.

i have seen many DL grads doing well in the public sector like hypernox2001: http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=2288369
jayan, I recall you are doing well in the public sector despite your DL degree too?

it's very easy to point your fingers at external factors. but remember when you point a finger at others, there are three fingers pointing back at you.

i'm from the private sector and i have seen many DL grad who just don't have the right stuff - interview skills, rigorous academic training, general knowledge, EQ, leadership experience. and when they lose out on a job to a local grad they are so quick to reason it as discrimination. the fact is that even if the employer wasn't informed about who was the DL grad, the DL grad would have still lost out because he/she just didn't have the right stuff and wasn't the best candidate.

of course, there are also many stellar DL grads who are as good as, and even better, than local grads. but there are many who aren't and refuse to admit to that reality and do something to improve their skill set.

you can blame the government for all of their biasness but they are not going to change over night. take control of your own life and make constructive actions instead of wallowing in your laments.

Last edited:

lumix.chua

Reaction score
sorry for the harsh tone. i was just a bit miffed at how lumix.chua was so quick to jump to conclusions.

i have seen many DL grads doing well in the public sector like hypernox2001: http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=2288369
jayan, I recall you are doing well in the public sector despite your DL degree too?

it's very easy to point your fingers at external factors. but remember when you point a finger at others, there are three fingers pointing back at you.

i'm from the private sector and i have seen many DL grad who just don't have the right stuff - interview skills, rigorous academic training, general knowledge, EQ, leadership experience. and when they lose out on a job to a local grad they are so quick to reason it as discrimination. the fact is that even if the employer wasn't informed about who was the DL grad, the DL grad would have still lost out because he/she just didn't have the right stuff and wasn't the best candidate.

of course, there are also many stellar DL grads who are as good as, and even better, than local grads. but there are many who aren't and refuse to admit to that reality and do something to improve their skill set.

you can blame the government for all of their biasness but they are not going to change over night. take control of your own life and make constructive actions instead of wallowing in your laments.

hypernox2001-- shd be one of those in the 5%. haa.
maybe i'm just sour..but i've too many friends who applied to govt sector and their deg wasn't recognise. yes. no point wallowing in my laments. but i see this as a platform for prospective DL students to get more info on what they may face in time to come.

weicong

Reaction score
Can I disclosed the stat board I am working in? But being sensitive, I think rather not.

I am sure the place I am working in now (one of the key stat board) recongise my DL degree. I got 2 years of dip experience (2005-2007), after which I finish my part time DL degree in 2007, and then got another 2 years of degree experiences till date. All in private sector.

Just switched to public sector, just started working in a stat board for 3 weeks as a division 1 grade 2 officer. So they recongized both my degree and experiences. But salary wise still not very high though. I was told by my friends pay increment for promotion is very low, around $400, in governemnt sector.

If compare this way, a local computing grad will graduate at age 25 average (for guys). If the stat board average starting salary is $2900, then at age 27, the guy should gets $2900+200(2nd year annual incrememt)+400(grade promotion increment) = $3500.

I am getting that range now, I am 27 this year also, so I feel it is still quite fair here.

Last edited:

actionbedek

Reaction score
hi all, i just want to share my opinion of being a fresh grad from DL. it may be true that gov sector do not recognise DL degree as i worked in MINDEF while getting my DL degree. i have tried applying for a higher position but was rejected twice. and during my 2 year stay in the sector, i have seldom see private degree holder inside. ok, let be fair and consider this in a broader picture:

If government start employing DL degree holder (which normally can be completed much faster then local Uni student), then whats the point of student going into local Uni and waste time? <---IMO, the gov body is the most basic org supporting local graduates., to be fair, the gov has also open the market with DL graduates like us. In gish, the gov is protecting the interest of our local grad but also giving student who cant get into local Uni a chance to graduate with a degree. sad to say but truth.

as mentioned by some forumers below, why would u want to barricade yourself in the gov sector? although it has a better starting pay and better benefit? ppl always ask me if my DL degree is worth is and i always answer them this:

"since you cant get into local Uni, do you want to give up further study and sour at home? or do you prefer to get a DL degree (at least better then nothing) and perhaps, 1 employer out there may appreciate you 1 day?" i would choose choice 2 because i always think that it has a higher chance.

i just want to encourage my fellow DL frens to be confident. Never say die attitude is the key. and whu knows u will find a good employer paying you good. :s13:

tiffanydunk

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can I disclosed the stat board I am working in? But being sensitive, I think rather not.

I am sure the place I am working in now (one of the key stat board) recongise my DL degree. I got 2 years of dip experience (2005-2007), after which I finish my part time DL degree in 2007, and then got another 2 years of degree experiences till date. All in private sector.

Just switched to public sector, just started working in a stat board for 3 weeks as a division 1 grade 2 officer. So they recongized both my degree and experiences. But salary wise still not very high though. I was told by my friends pay increment for promotion is very low, around $400, in governemnt sector.

If compare this way, a local computing grad will graduate at age 25 average (for guys). If the stat board average starting salary is $2900, then at age 27, the guy should gets $2900+200(2nd year annual incrememt)+400(grade promotion increment) = $3500.

I am getting that range now, I am 27 this year also, so I feel it is still quite fair here.

Actually, I think stat boards do recongize D/L degrees. I know of more people who are working in stat board with D/L degrees as Division 1 executives. And I know it because I am one of them. I think it all depends on the interviewers and how you perform during the interviews. So to D/L graduates, no harm sending resumes to stat boards and try. You may have a chance to get called up from interviews. I do not know how they select people for interviews though...

so that clears the air of rumours that only degrees from the local big 3 are accepted in stats boards/ public sectors. :)

MoZhihao

Reaction score
MOE do accept UniSim graduates with good grades as teachers.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As a GEO2 base on their Dip or GCE A Cert?

If degree, they will be GEO1.

So far, I never hear before this news even if my current job required me to went to 326 Sch (Pri Sch/Sec Sch/JC).

I belived that alot of people including myself who dream of being a teacher since young are very keen to know if this is a fact.

Can anyone who is a fresh Grad & not mid-career switch UniSIM Grad who is a GEO1 step out & confirm this?

MOE do accept UniSim graduates with good grades as teachers.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

MoZhihao

Reaction score
As a GEO2 base on their Dip or GCE A Cert?

If degree, they will be GEO1.

So far, I never hear before this news even if my current job required me to went to 326 Sch (Pri Sch/Sec Sch/JC).

I belived that alot of people including myself who dream of being a teacher since young are very keen to know if this is a fact.

Can anyone who is a fresh Grad & not mid-career switch UniSIM Grad who is a GEO1 step out & confirm this?

I think fresh grad not easy.

I refer to mid-career.

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mid Career may base more on experience then UniSIM degree to enter as GEO1 while UniSIM Fresh Grad should be be the same as NUS/NTU/SMU Fresh Grad if they are able to enter as GEO1 base on degree.

I think fresh grad not easy.

I refer to mid-career.

mouse123

Reaction score
i graduated from SIM- UOL (banking and finance) with 2nd upp. MFA did offer me a position in the finance department. well, judging from the pay they offered, they are only recognising my A level qualification. what do you say? definitely, they didn't call me to mock at me. rather, i think they're seizing the opportunity to get cheaper labour.
SIGH......

Hi, may i ask the govt employed u as a division 1 or division 2 officer? From wat i know, if govt employed u as a division 1 officer, this would mean that at least they recognise UOL ext grads..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.