Advice on Penang

buzzmario

Reaction score
hi, booked air ticket from malaysia air line, cost $462 for 2 adult and 1 kid. any recom on which hotel to stay? first time there and staying there for 3 night. also ask again if take a taxi to hotel area, what is the cost? by metre or fix sum?

thanks

bbmars1128

Reaction score
hi, booked air ticket from malaysia air line, cost $462 for 2 adult and 1 kid. any recom on which hotel to stay? first time there and staying there for 3 night. also ask again if take a taxi to hotel area, what is the cost? by metre or fix sum?

thanks

Where to stay? very much depends on what sort of holiday you are looking for over there. BEach is kind kind of thing, then look for beach resort along Ferringgi area (night market in this area). Bit of shopping and makan convenient, may be around Guney area... Think there is a Gurney Plaza very close to the famous Gurney Drive makan place open at night next to the sea. There is a 4 Star hotel nearby. There is also something like a hawker centre near this hotel.

yanbros

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, thinking of visiting Penang in Jan. More of eating and light shopping. Not too into the beaches. Just wondering which website you all book your hotels from. Also, i'm thinking of taking a coach from Singapore or Larkin. I think Larkin would be cheaper right? But would that few bucks be worth the hassle? Anyone tried taking from Larkin?

suangern

Reaction score
Hi, thinking of visiting Penang in Jan. More of eating and light shopping. Not too into the beaches. Just wondering which website you all book your hotels from. Also, i'm thinking of taking a coach from Singapore or Larkin. I think Larkin would be cheaper right? But would that few bucks be worth the hassle? Anyone tried taking from Larkin?
From larkin, buses usually depart around 9 or 10pm. they will go to tmn ungku tun aminah and tmn sri putri to pick up more passengers if there's still space, before heading to NS highway. Bus drivers like to delay here and there. Most likely you'll have to cross the causeway around 7 or 8pm, which is the peak hour jam time. :s22: They are most likely to drop some passengers along Ipoh and/or Taiping (exit highway go to the town, then go back to highway), depends on the passengers' destination. I tried on Betong Ekspres and Grassland. By the way, Grassland in JB is fake one. So far, I've only tried these 2 companies, I don't want to try the 3rd time, no point lah. :s13: Reach PG very shag, tired.:s22:

From SG, buses will use 2nd link. I tried on Sri Maju once, depart on time (830pm), no jam on 2nd link, all the way smooth, no dropping of passengers at ipoh/taiping, but the bus will drop passengers along juru toll, megamal, butterworth, before crossing over to the island. Reached the island's Sungai Nibong bus terminal around 6am. SG pay in SGD, MY pay in RM, that's the difference. But same thing again, reach PG very shag, tired.:s22:

The choice is yours. For me, I will choose budget airline. Sometimes the air ticket can be cheaper than bus ticket.

yanbros

Master Member
Reaction score
From larkin, buses usually depart around 9 or 10pm. they will go to tmn ungku tun aminah and tmn sri putri to pick up more passengers if there's still space, before heading to NS highway. Bus drivers like to delay here and there. Most likely you'll have to cross the causeway around 7 or 8pm, which is the peak hour jam time. :s22: They are most likely to drop some passengers along Ipoh and/or Taiping (exit highway go to the town, then go back to highway), depends on the passengers' destination. I tried on Betong Ekspres and Grassland. By the way, Grassland in JB is fake one. So far, I've only tried these 2 companies, I don't want to try the 3rd time, no point lah. :s13: Reach PG very shag, tired.:s22:

From SG, buses will use 2nd link. I tried on Sri Maju once, depart on time (830pm), no jam on 2nd link, all the way smooth, no dropping of passengers at ipoh/taiping, but the bus will drop passengers along juru toll, megamal, butterworth, before crossing over to the island. Reached the island's Sungai Nibong bus terminal around 6am. SG pay in SGD, MY pay in RM, that's the difference. But same thing again, reach PG very shag, tired.:s22:

The choice is yours. For me, I will choose budget airline. Sometimes the air ticket can be cheaper than bus ticket.

May i know which budget airline are you referring to? I've search several, they seem to all add up to be more expansive then coach ride.

suangern

Reaction score
May i know which budget airline are you referring to? I've search several, they seem to all add up to be more expansive then coach ride.
Its depending on the flight date and respective budget airline's promotion period. Book earlier = cheaper ticket.:)

Thanatos_Wraiths

Reaction score
also ask again if take a taxi to hotel area, what is the cost? by metre or fix sum?

thanks
If you are taking the cab from the airport, there is a counter at the arrival hall. Last year, i took from the airport to Georgetown and it cost me RM38 per cab (irregardless of the one or 4 person)

Else, taking cab within the island is by fixed amount. Just have to bargain before you board.:s22:

Last edited:

pohu

Master Member
Reaction score
If you are taking the cab from the airport, there is a counter at the arrival hall. Last year, i took from the airport Georgetown and it cost me RM38 per cab (irregardless of the one ot 4 person)

Else, taking cab within the island is by fixed amount. Just have to bargain before you board.:s22:
must be the case in Msia everywhere... :p (sorry) but might be taking a bus to airport from Georgetown on departing day

pohu

Master Member
Reaction score

Its depending on the flight date and respective budget airline's promotion period. Book earlier = cheaper ticket.:)

I booked AirAsia + Tune hotel + ferry fr a/p to Hotel = <$250 for 4D/3N!

buzzmario

Reaction score
any 3 to 4 star hotel to recom? perfer near shopping area, (but not those high end shopping centre)

thanks

buzzmario

Reaction score
any one stay in tune hotel? the rate is very attactive, any one can advise how the service, room, location of this hotel?

nottibeans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've stayed in Tune hotel. Better than expected cos I dunno the hotel so new. Room is small, the double bed occupies almost the whole room, so there is just enough walking space at the sides & front of the bed. There are no space for other things like chairs, tables or wardrobe. Got 2 small bed shelfs at each side with a safe box provided. I think the toilet door cannot be locked, it's those push-pull door.

My room has a window with city view, some rooms the window view is the interior gap of the hotel only. I think got a few rooms in the centre of the floor doesn't have windows. For air-con u need to buy credits to use. The hotel & the corridor is all air-con, so I find the room quite cooling with fan on. I nvr purchased any air-con credits & even turn off the fan, windows closed when I sleep cos I'm the type who doesn't like air-con or fan blowing at me while sleeping. Anyway the air-con very cheap also.. 12 hrs credits 10+RM only. The bed is very comfortable. I think u know toiletries & towel are not provided free. Can go read at the website. No complimentary mineral water also.. no cups & fridge. Got advertisement boards on the walls. The hotel earn from advertising revenue. I like their concept. I definitely will go stay there if i go Penang again cos I'm an environmentalist & the price is unbeatable. Got free internet provided at the lobby.

Location of the hotel is good. Got lots of food to eat ard the area. Can walk to Jln McAllister or Jln Penang for shopping & eating. Can also walk to Him Heang to buy the famous dou sha bing there.

Last edited:

nottibeans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Btw, what do u all do at night after 10pm in Penang? Like no place to walk ard at that time just go back hotel sleep..lol

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.