HWC Guidelines (Updated as of 22 Jan 2010). Irrelevant threads will be moved/deleted.

Mystyque

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's not recommended for a technical forum such as this.

Perhaps you can include the fact that HWC and HWZ itself does not cater to Singaporeans or those well versed in EDMWSpeak only. There many visitors from overseas as well as first timers who come looking for information and help that would find it very difficult to understand messages full of forum slangs.

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
excellent suggestion and hits the core.

Perhaps you can include the fact that HWC and HWZ itself does not cater to Singaporeans or those well versed in EDMWSpeak only. There many visitors from overseas as well as first timers who come looking for information and help that would find it very difficult to understand messages full of forum slangs.

lyfeforce

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Advertising/Promotion of Authorised Brands

Many of you have been interested in the many promotions that our kind distros have been setting up for the HWZ community. However, they are restricted to certain brands that they may promote or advertise in the main HWC forum. This is due to the agreement between HWZ and the individual distributors.

The list of authorized brands are listed on the left side of the website, under the DMCARD logo. Any other brands that the distros carry can be still promoted, but within their respective sub-forums.

Therefore, we seek everyone's understanding as to why the distros sometimes cannot openly advertise some of their brands. If you would like to enquire about any of those brands, please feel free to ask in their respective sub-forums. They'll be more than happy to help.

We thank everyone for their co-operation. :)

Authorized Brands
Arigo
HIS
Ikonik
Thermaltake
ASUStek
Lian Li
PowerColor
MSI
CoolerMaster
Leadtek
Kingston
Andyson
DFI
Palit
Xpertvision
OCZ

Last edited:

lyfeforce

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
If you have any queries, feel free to ask. I'll try my best to clarify. :)

lyfeforce

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Creating A Post for your Hoots

When you create a thread specifically to show off your hoots, make sure that:

1. you have all your pictures ready on hand;

2. you know what you're going to post about the product;

3. use proper English; (Use this for reference)

4. (If possible) state where you purchased from and how you paid

5. thank anyone who may have helped you in making the decision to make the purchase.

These are some of the simple things to take note of. Take this as a guideline, so as to not create threads with empty promises.

lyfeforce

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Recently, there have been too many irrelevant threads in HWC. As such, there will be a slightly stricter guideline to creating threads.

Please post in the appropriate forums.

So what qualifies under Hardware Clinic?
Hardware and technical-related issues. Popular topics include overclocking, include product/chipset discussion, computer set-up, configuration and tweaking. Products include motherboards, processors, graphic cards, desktop memory, power supplies, casing, fans, watercooling units, CPU coolers, sound cards, etc.

For everything else, look through the forums on this page. Do not give the reason "Here got more traffic" for posting in the wrong forums. Irrelevant threads/posts will be moved/deleted without prior notice. Repeat offenders may receive infractions.

The moderators will not be too strict with this but it will be enforced as time goes. Do not mistake leniency for weakness. We seek your co-operation in making HWZ the best technical forum.

Update: Reviews of certain products will remain in HWC for a few days before being moved to the appropriate forums. It must be a formal review, not a "hoot" thread.

Last edited:

lyfeforce

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Off-topic Threads

In the light of recent events and feedback, the following guidelines have been laid down in addition.

1. Forum outings will be restricted to 1 per 3 months. After the event, the thread will be locked for archiving.
  2. No more dedications to members or distros in the main forum. All dedication to individuals belong in the rating forum and distros in their respective sub-forums.
  3. Questions about magazines, programs or software and even jokes will be merged with either the Chit Chat thread or to the appropriate forums.
Please report any inappropriate behavior. We will be more than willing to stop issuing yellow cards but serious and/or repeat offenders will still receive infractions.

raven1019

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In the light of recent events and feedback, the following guidelines have been laid down in addition.
  1. Forum outings will be restricted to 1 per 3 months. After the event, the thread will be locked for archiving.
  2. No more dedications to members or distros in the main forum. All dedication to individuals belong in the rating forum and distros in their respective sub-forums.
  3. Questions about magazines, programs or software and even jokes will be merged with either the Chit Chat thread or to the appropriate forums.
Please report any inappropriate behavior. We will be more than willing to stop issuing yellow cards but serious and/or repeat offenders will still receive infractions.
y need to limit outing to 1 per 3 month?

i don't see a point to this loh

if want every month also can have outing like IT show outing already once every 3 month sure will have where hwc de people gather in group to go like last time, then sometime in between the IT show and PC show got some info-com asia n etc

not to forget every 3 - 6 month de BBQ outing , chalet

don't set such 2pid regulation imo , we need more bonding session to keep everyone together and more active, everyday in forum talk very sian de loh

lyfeforce

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Too many such threads will divert attention from the threads that really matter. After all, this is a technical forum, not a "bonding" forum.

I understand your stand on this. That's why there's the Lifestyle forums. EDMW has more than enough outings for everyone. The 1 in 3 months was a consensus I got, not my own device. Of course, if it comes 2 weeks early, I'm not gonna close it. But too many cooks will spoil the soup.

As for IT shows, those are more like "Tech raids". Those are not qualified as outings. I hope your queries are adequately answered.

raven1019

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Too many such threads will divert attention from the threads that really matter. After all, this is a technical forum, not a "bonding" forum.

I understand your stand on this. That's why there's the Lifestyle forums. EDMW has more than enough outings for everyone. The 1 in 3 months was a consensus I got, not my own device. Of course, if it comes 2 weeks early, I'm not gonna close it. But too many cooks will spoil the soup.

As for IT shows, those are more like "Tech raids". Those are not qualified as outings. I hope your queries are adequately answered.

lifestyle de sub forum EDMW no longer sticky outing or willing to have another sub forum for outing ,thus it is neither here no there . organise outing need to up the bloody thread, that is y damm tulan of leinad

thus my stands until now either is private outing or no outing from me at all ever since the thead started u nv see me organise le, and people organising makan outing is getting lesser and lesser

http://deluxeforums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=2283097

Last edited:

commach

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
lifestyle de sub forum EDMW no longer sticky outing or willing to have another sub forum for outing ,thus it is neither here no there . organise outing need to up the bloody thread, that is y damm tulan of leinad

thus my stands until now either is private outing or no outing from me at all ever since the thead started u nv see me organise le, and people organising makan outing is getting lesser and lesser

http://deluxeforums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=2283097

There must be a valid reason why leinad no longer stuck outing thread.

Let me and other moderators discuss about it and try to work out something for you guys, don't take this as a promise, we are trying to make everyone feel at home in HWC.:)

lemonn

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

Yes force :D

I kind of agree to you there, too many gatherings and people will just get tired of them.

And by gatherings i assume you refer to those bigger ones where money is involved. Small gatherings to visit SLS or shows will most likely be posted on the OT thread, and you may want to add that point on.

lyfeforce

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Yes force :D

I kind of agree to you there, too many gatherings and people will just get tired of them.

And by gatherings i assume you refer to those bigger ones where money is involved. Small gatherings to visit SLS or shows will most likely be posted on the OT thread, and you may want to add that point on.

Indeed, thanks for the clarification. Any outing with money involved is always a hairy issue. That's why it's best to minimise the risks.

We work together and everything will work out just fine.

lyfeforce

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
I have a question to ask, cause I want to help others view sites that are helpful for them, but I cannot post or include links to my post, I wanna know how many post do I need to post a link. Thanks.

For any forum other than EDMW, it should be 50. For EDMW it's 100.

lobo76

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I refer to this post/thread.
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/h...ucial-m4-ssd-drives-3569695.html#post63320513

I know FDs paid for the right to promote certain product, and it makes great sense. I don't want to be spammed with advertisements either. But, what I am not sure if how talking about a bugfix (showing that the product was flawed) is deem to be promoting a product. If I did buy a cruical ssd (which I didn't), I would certainly appreciate someone telling me how to fix an issue that I have been facing... 3 days before the distributor finally noticed the 'cure'.

commach

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I refer to this post/thread.
Crucial firmware fix released for Crucial M4 SSD drives - www.hardwarezone.com.sg

I know FDs paid for the right to promote certain product, and it makes great sense. I don't want to be spammed with advertisements either. But, what I am not sure if how talking about a bugfix (showing that the product was flawed) is deem to be promoting a product. If I did buy a cruical ssd (which I didn't), I would certainly appreciate someone telling me how to fix an issue that I have been facing... 3 days before the distributor finally noticed the 'cure'.

Thanks for the feedback.

Nobody said the deleted thread was advertising, I have no idea how you came to this conclusion.

The words "Please post it in the appropriate forum in future." clearly stated without any indication of advertising, no?

There is a Storage Clinic for storage devices, even fellow moderators/administrator post storage devices questions/threads in Storage Clinic, does it make sense if certain members are given exception to post it in the wrong forum: Hardware Clinic?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.