Jusco Tebrau: Crime Advisory when taking bus

arcaninx

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is create awareness for people who travel to JB for shopping especially to Jusco.

My mum and I was going back to Singapore after shopping @ Jusco Tebrau. We travelled to the bus stop which is opposite of the shopping mall.

When we crossed the road, we noticed that a group of guys started to follow us to the bus stop. We felt that they were very suspicious and so we carried our bags in front of us.

When the bus came, a Singaporean couple boarded the bus first. Immediately, we saw this group of guys rushed into the bus entrance and pushed them from behind. The Singaporean man shouted "What are you trying to do?!". As we are a distance from the bus entrance, we dun really u/s the things that had happen.

After which, we moved up the bus. Suddenly, I heard my mum shouted "OEI!" and found that the same group was trying to snatch my mum's belonging. Fortunately, they didn't manage to get anything and the bus driver quickly drive the bus away.

Lesson learnt: Do not carry anything in your back pockets. Hold your bags tight if you are carrying one.

outlander

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Let me share my first-hand experience when I went to Tebrau city 2 weeks ago. I had gone there a few times before but have not been there for quite some time, so decided to make a trip there to shop and catch a movie. What TS saw today happened exactly to me.

When my wife and I went to the bus stop across the shopping mall (near to a highway), we saw a group of Malays sitting in a row at the bus stop. We thought they were waiting for buses so didn't pay attention to them. When our bus came, suddenly one of the Malay pushed past us to get on the bus first. Then at the bus entrance, he suddenly dropped something and blocked our way. While we were distracted and waiting for him to recover his things, I felt another Malay closing up and stand very close to me. Then I felt a hand in my jeans front pocket trying to fish something. I immediately stared at him and my wife shouted something. The guy then immediately moved back and pretended nothing happened. I was in a state of shock and fully realised that it has been a setup only after I settled on the bus. Luckily I didn't lose anything but will steer clear of Tebrau in the future.

Apparently they only target Singaporeans cos I saw a Malaysian Malay couple boarded a bus before us without any prob. They must have been eyeing us and saw me put my hp into the front pocket. Luckily they are not very skilled, looking at their clumsy attempt. But I believe they must have some success for them to try this again and again.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When shopping in Malaysia, especialy Johore. Avoide taking bus. Sometime even taxi is not safe. Also, go shopping in a big group otherwise do not go.

MrTheROCK

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you exposed your hp to the public, you only have yourself to blame. cos this is not spore.

and all these which is mentioned in this thread is oldddddddddddd news. JB forum has been warning all the people time and time again when boarding, alighting, and in the bus itself.

rule of thumb: DO NOT EXPOSE YOUR MONEY, HP, PSP, IPOD to the public. You can use, but u must be able to face the consequence.

weiiix

Master Member
Reaction score
looks like...alot of crimes happened at jusco tebrau recently...

gasband

Reaction score
Singaporeans also one kind lah. Wan cheapo, then complain. Newspaper dun know how many time report that these people target Singaporeans already and their cars also, then why take the risk? The things so cheap until must go in and buy meh? Then kena robbed or car kena stolen, happy lor.:s7:

MrTheROCK

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Singaporeans also one kind lah. Wan cheapo, then complain. Newspaper dun know how many time report that these people target Singaporeans already and their cars also, then why take the risk? The things so cheap until must go in and buy meh? Then kena robbed or car kena stolen, happy lor.:s7:

:s12: i agree!

If you wanna to go in yet wanna be safe, then be smart to do some precautions!

If you still get robbed after having precautions, still, you have to nobody to blame but just accept it. At the end of the day, nobody force u to go JB, it is yourself that decide to go JB. :o

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Well said. Why worry about the safety aspect so much, if one has decided to go? Just take the necessary precautions. The same precautions make sense anywhere in the world, even on our puny island.

buswhiz

Reaction score
did you show them that you look like singaporean? I wonder how come they target you and how come they know you are singaporean.. just wondering..

outlander

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wonder why all the -ve comments here. TS and I posted to share and to warn others to be careful but some people just felt we are the ones at fault. Sad state of behaviour here. It's like the old days when girls who get raped are being blamed that either they dress too sexy or they come home late, and the offender is not at fault. :s11:

lancified

Reaction score
I'm an avid traveller to Malaysia, visiting KL, JB, Malacca, Penang, Sabah for work as well as rest and relax purposes. If you are visiting JB, please go to Jusco at Bukit Indah instead of the one near Woodlands. Bukit Indah is an isolated area in JB that is inhabited by rich Malaysian Chinese. The mall is just as big as other malls, and it's newer and more clean. Only bad point is that there is no KTV there.

The carparks are patrolled regularly by security guards, and every where, indoors or outdoors, are brightly lit up. You can see many malaysian BMWs, Benz, as well as expensive and exotic cars parked there. This can very easily speak for the security of that place.

For those driving, take 2nd link and follow the Johor Bahru -> Pasir Gudang exit -> Bukit Indah. You will see the mall right after u exit the highway. Total toll fees paid is RM10.80 + SGD4 plus. Distance is less than 30KM.

Taking bus, purchase a bus ticket from IMM #03 Causeway Link. Not sure about ticket prices, i drive up all the time. However, the bus will take u directly from SG to Bukit Indah. Very convinient!

If u still choose to visit Jusco Tebrau, my only advice is: attack is the best defense. All the crimes are performed by little minors. Once u feel unsafe, FIGHT them. Yes I did that last time when I was shopping at city square. Sometimes a hard stare will work, but if it doesn't, use ur punches and kicks. Most of the time they will be frightened away. If the fight continues and police arrives, just give them kopi $ and those buggers will be handcuffed.

My experience only, please do not use mine as a gauge. Happy shopping!

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
hmmmmm usually i take cab to Jusco Tebrau one

ipadxcell

Master Member
Reaction score
Any updates on tebrau jusco. What's the best and safest to get there and return. Thanks.

dleodleo

Master Member
Reaction score
Oh, thank you for telling us about the incidents. I didn't know about that. I used to go Tebrau to do hair and nails by bus alone and return by taxi during weekdays.

I think i better stop going alone liao.

Many thanks.

diu___

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
this is 2009 incident. got any recent incident?
is it still as dangerous?

bbmars1128

Reaction score
Still going there almost every month by bus, most time with my friends. Occasionally, alone if need to. However, nowadays, when alone, I go Denga City Mall and then City Square

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.