Johor Bahru - share is caring

Status
Not open for further replies.

usermanual

Master Member
Reaction score
I heard from my friend said that Singaporean can enter M'ysia w/o passport just need to apply autopass (something like that) ...is it true ?

Anna Teo

Reaction score
JB Lucky Draw Scam

I was walking to City Square after leaving the JB immigration, at the entrance I was met with a girl saying they are having a promotion lucky draw for all shoppers there. She gave me a lucky draw slip to open if I won. Meanwhile she showed me some slips with the words "THANK YOU - better luck next time" to say many didnt win anything and hope I will be lucky, and when I opened mine, it said Congratulations I won a top prize.. She said she will bring me to the office to collect the prize and one of them could be a car. She said the office is nearby, and the cab fare is less than M$10. I said I dont have much time as I have to go home early.. She said it will only take 5 mins..and then I asked whether I have to pay any surcharges, etc to claim the prize.. she said NO.

We left in a cab and the fare is M$18 and when we arrived, she said she got a call from the boss to wait in the snack bar downstairs as her boss is preparing the prize. I suspect there is a victim in the office n they dont want us to meet. I cant understand why we cant head straight to the office. After waiting for about 20 mins in the snack bar, she received a call to say I can go to the office now to collect the prize.

The office is on the 2nd floor, with no company name n the glass door has no company name too. The furniture there is very minimal n I was lead to a small room, where she showed me some photos with winners receiving car prizes, etc. I was told by the lady boss/manager that I will win any of the 10 prizes.. 1st to 3rd is a car, 4th is a massage chair, 5th is a special mattress pad, 6th to 10th are package tour for 2 to America, Europe, Japan, etc. Looking at it, I think the 4th n 5th prize is a booby prize lol. She said before I know what prize I won, I have to pay government tax. She said it is M$8,500 n I said I dont have so much money -- she said I can use my credit card n atm card.. I said my credit card cant get cash.. she said she will bring me to a jewellery shop where I can get cash as they can fake a jewellery sale.

I asked to know what prize I won before I decide to pay the tax. She said I must pay tax 1st, before I can know what prize I won. I asked whether I can call my brother in law who is working in JB to come and help me pay.. She said this is a secret lucky draw as the company wants to evade tax, etc so I cant call anyone to go there (I already smell a rat - I know I am slow but I knew this is a scam).

I grab my bag tightly n get ready to dash out of the office. I said bye n no thank you that I dont want the prize and dashed out of the door to the main road n wave a cab n left for City Square. They keep calling me on my mobile as I left the handphone number when I try to claim the prize.. I rejected the calls n was relieved to be back where I was. At the Focal Point (spectacles shop), the staff told me that many Singaporeans have been cheated of their money and it is always in the news in the papers and tv. She said most of the locals are aware of this scam and another staff confirmed it and said that they are always stationed near the entrance of other shopping centres too.. They always on the look out only for single shopper who comes alone.

I am glad I dashed off from the office n count my blessings that the door was not locked, n I could escape. :)

buswhiz

Reaction score
I was walking to City Square after leaving the JB immigration, at the entrance I was met with a girl saying they are having a promotion lucky draw for all shoppers there. She gave me a lucky draw slip to open if I won. Meanwhile she showed me some slips with the words "THANK YOU - better luck next time" to say many didnt win anything and hope I will be lucky, and when I opened mine, it said Congratulations I won a top prize.. She said she will bring me to the office to collect the prize and one of them could be a car. She said the office is nearby, and the cab fare is less than M$10. I said I dont have much time as I have to go home early.. She said it will only take 5 mins..and then I asked whether I have to pay any surcharges, etc to claim the prize.. she said NO.

We left in a cab and the fare is M$18 and when we arrived, she said she got a call from the boss to wait in the snack bar downstairs as her boss is preparing the prize. I suspect there is a victim in the office n they dont want us to meet. I cant understand why we cant head straight to the office. After waiting for about 20 mins in the snack bar, she received a call to say I can go to the office now to collect the prize.

The office is on the 2nd floor, with no company name n the glass door has no company name too. The furniture there is very minimal n I was lead to a small room, where she showed me some photos with winners receiving car prizes, etc. I was told by the lady boss/manager that I will win any of the 10 prizes.. 1st to 3rd is a car, 4th is a massage chair, 5th is a special mattress pad, 6th to 10th are package tour for 2 to America, Europe, Japan, etc. Looking at it, I think the 4th n 5th prize is a booby prize lol. She said before I know what prize I won, I have to pay government tax. She said it is M$8,500 n I said I dont have so much money -- she said I can use my credit card n atm card.. I said my credit card cant get cash.. she said she will bring me to a jewellery shop where I can get cash as they can fake a jewellery sale.

I asked to know what prize I won before I decide to pay the tax. She said I must pay tax 1st, before I can know what prize I won. I asked whether I can call my brother in law who is working in JB to come and help me pay.. She said this is a secret lucky draw as the company wants to evade tax, etc so I cant call anyone to go there (I already smell a rat - I know I am slow but I knew this is a scam).

I grab my bag tightly n get ready to dash out of the office. I said bye n no thank you that I dont want the prize and dashed out of the door to the main road n wave a cab n left for City Square. They keep calling me on my mobile as I left the handphone number when I try to claim the prize.. I rejected the calls n was relieved to be back where I was. At the Focal Point (spectacles shop), the staff told me that many Singaporeans have been cheated of their money and it is always in the news in the papers and tv. She said most of the locals are aware of this scam and another staff confirmed it and said that they are always stationed near the entrance of other shopping centres too.. They always on the look out only for single shopper who comes alone.

I am glad I dashed off from the office n count my blessings that the door was not locked, n I could escape. :)

Thank you for sharing.. there are many such scam and your story defintely help the forumers to be careful in the future

suangern

Reaction score
When we are in a foreign country, we are the foreigners, they are the locals.

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Scams and schemes prey on the gullible (and greedy) as well in sunny Singapore. So long as one does not behave in a foreign country like one owns that place or look out of place, one will not invite unwelcome attention and scams.

suangern

Reaction score
High Commission of the Republic of Singapore - Malaysia

High Commissioner Mr T Jasudasen
Chancery 209 Jalan Tun Razak 50400 Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

Telephone 02-(03) 2161-6404, 02-(03) 2161-6277
Telefax 02-(03) 2161-6343
E-mail singhc_kul@sgmfa.gov.sg
Homepage http://www.mfa.gov.sg/kl
Working Hours Mon - Fri
8.30 am to 5.00 pm
Sat, Sun & Public Holidays - Closed
Other Information: Fax No: 02-(03) 2164-1013 (Consular)
02-(03) 2163-4875 (Administration)
Emergency Contact: 016-6610400

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Consulate-General of the Republic of Singapore - Malaysia (Johor Bahru)

Consul-General Mr LIM Hong Huai
Consulate-General Suite 35.02, Level 35 Johor Bahru City Square Office Tower 106-108,Jalan Wong Ah Fook 80000 Johor Bahru

Telephone 60-7-226 5012
Telefax 60-7-226 5013
Homepage http://www.mfa.gov.sg/jb/
Working Hours Mon - Fri
8.30am to 1pm
2.00pm to 5pm
Sat, Sun & Public Holidays - Closed

shalome

Master Member
Reaction score
Any recommended salon @ City Square for guy's hair cut?? Cheap and good. i don't want nerdy type. I hardly can find good ones in SG already..

For massage, City Square mall has two thai massage salons? I can't remember. But heard not recommended? I went Urut Tradisonal @ Taman Sentosa before but not very good too and expensive. Finding new massage place.

Last edited:

suangern

Reaction score
Important announcement

Bus services from JB downtown to Tebrau City (as well as all other Eastern JB routes) has been relocated to new JB Sentral bus terminal (beside customs only). Don't need to walk to City Sq, don't wait at the old place. Please follow the instructions when reaching that place.

BigMonkey

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
jb custom now also start fingerscan for foreigns? :o

they stopped using it for singaporean only for ang moh, it has become almost a white elephant as of now. As the database is overwhealming and their system is slow in reading the fingerprints.

Last edited:

BigMonkey

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was approached by one of the lucky draw scam ladies before, i straight away ask her. How you feel about doing this kind of job? she told me, bo pian, now hard to find job and have mouth to feed. Listen to her story for awhile than she try to sell me some slimming product and ask me to help her buy some stuff in singapore. I told her i got a movie to catch and walk off.

beanstalk6

Reaction score
As of Sunday they were using the fingerprint scanners for all foreign visitors. Traffic was very smooth and even public transport was not crowded until I encountered the long lines at passport control. Apparently, the system still has kinks to be worked out. Engineers were present. Each visitor required 2-3 minutes to complete the process, hence the longer lines.

BigMonkey

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As of Sunday they were using the fingerprint scanners for all foreign visitors. Traffic was very smooth and even public transport was not crowded until I encountered the long lines at passport control. Apparently, the system still has kinks to be worked out. Engineers were present. Each visitor required 2-3 minutes to complete the process, hence the longer lines.

how come so strange one, i went in the sunday afternoon. they were happily chopping passport, they only get ang moh to do their fingerprint. You went in the morning or night?

Last edited:

BigMonkey

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Really have to depend on what you planned to do and what do you wish to gain out of your trip.

What you intend to buy? or just purely window shopping, what you intend to eat? restoran or coffeeshop or road side stall?

There are actually 4 Jusco in JB.

Tebrau City Jusco, have goccery shopping and movie (MBO) and a few restoran - tang shifu, korean BBQ chicken, hot plate noddle - inside food court. Arashi for shabu shabu. There is also Tesco beside Jusco, will make your shopping trip a breeze if you intend to visit this two.

Bukit Indah Jusco, No movie theater, just normal mall, not much things to do.
But the good thing is there is Tesco and Giant, which is about 10 minutes walk away. There is an A&W outlet if you want to try.

Tmn Universiti Jusco, This one i haven't been there before. The A&W is located just outside Jusco UTM, a stone throw away.Have cinema in the nearby U-mall.

Permas Jaya Jusco, have A&W, no cinema.

Usually when people say Jusco, there are just waiting for people to highlight to them the 4 different Jusco, usually they are just to lazy to type out the full location of the jusco or they themself dunno which jusco they should refer to .

Referring to your first paragraph, my recommendation will be tebrau city jusco as there is cinema and shopping. Eating wise, if you are not choosy, this place will still have restoran to fill your hunger.

If you want to try good food, recommended both by local and singaporean, you can go KSL city, as there is soon soon bak ku teh, outside the entrance of KSL city, there is also a cinema(MBO) and Kbox, shopping wise is pretty standard, woman's clothing, "not so nice to post here" stuff, watson. There is also an unique shop, its a soap factory, it has lessons to teach you how to make your own soap.
Take note, there is no groccery shop in this KSL City. Tesco not yet open. There are poster that state tesco will open on 19/05/2011. just take that info with a pinch of salt.

Have fun, have a safe trip.

Last edited:

Man v.1

Reaction score
Really have to depend on what you planned to do and what do you wish to gain out of your trip.

What you intend to buy? or just purely window shopping, what you intend to eat? restoran or coffeeshop or road side stall?

There are actually 4 Jusco in JB.

Tebrau City Jusco, have goccery shopping and movie (MBO) and a few restoran - tang shifu, korean BBQ chicken, hot plate noddle - inside food court. Arashi for shabu shabu. There is also Tesco beside Jusco, will make your shopping trip a breeze if you intend to visit this two.

Bukit Indah Jusco, No movie theater, just normal mall, not much things to do.
But the good thing is there is Tesco and Giant, which is about 10 minutes walk away. There is an A&W outlet if you want to try.

Tmn Universiti Jusco, This one i haven't been there before, there is also an A&W outlet inside. Have cinema in the nearby U-mall.

Permas Jaya Jusco, have A&W, no cinema.

Usually when people say Jusco, there are just waiting for people to highlight to them the 4 different Jusco, usually they are just to lazy to type out the full location of the jusco or they themself dunno which jusco they should refer to .

Referring to your first paragraph, my recommendation will be tebrau city jusco as there is cinema and shopping. Eating wise, if you are not choosy, this place will still have restoran to fill your hunger.

If you want to try good food, recommended both by local and singaporean, you can go KSL city, as there is soon soon bak ku teh, outside the entrance of KSL city, there is also a cinema(MBO) and Kbox, shopping wise is pretty standard, woman's clothing, "not so nice to post here" stuff, watson. There is also an unique shop, its a soap factory, it has lessons to teach you how to make your own soap.
Take note, there is no groccery shop in this KSL City. Tesco not yet open. There are poster that state tesco will open on 19/05/2011. just take that info with a pinch of salt.

Have fun, have a safe trip.

Great info bro! :D

I've been to the tebrau and bukit indah jusco and both are really huge. Is the one at Taman universiti near the Sutera mall? And there's also alot of Giants in JB :s22:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.