CFA vs Masters in Finance

ASUS111

Reaction score
May I know what is the avg age of the ppl taking the CFA? Also regarding the work experience portion, is it really necessary to be investment/finance relater?

lin.ci84

Banned
Reaction score
Doing same exam papers... got above 80%... I feel so optimistic now.. How are you guys going to expo? Take train?

fuzzfuzz

Reaction score
Hello everybody

I'm a year2 going on to year3(final year) in Sept, doing UOL econs n finance.

Is it true that CFA level1 can be done before i graduate? If so, when is the earliest I can apply and register to take the exams? Is it the december exams? Will i have enough time to prepare for it?

I am thinking of going into research analyst after i graduate, but that is just wishful thinking on my part because i dont know how the job market will be in future and i dont have any prior experience. Would the CFA be helpful in this case?

Thanks for answering my questions =)

friendlyguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody

I'm a year2 going on to year3(final year) in Sept, doing UOL econs n finance.

Is it true that CFA level1 can be done before i graduate? If so, when is the earliest I can apply and register to take the exams? Is it the december exams? Will i have enough time to prepare for it?

I am thinking of going into research analyst after i graduate, but that is just wishful thinking on my part because i dont know how the job market will be in future and i dont have any prior experience. Would the CFA be helpful in this case?

Thanks for answering my questions =)

yes you can..for ur info last year 1 banking&finance UOL student did it and pass the dec exam lvl 1.. CFA is very useful.

I also have friend doing msc.finance(rank 1 in Europe) from IE business school in Madrid. It is very internationally. The class is only for 30 students but represent 26 nationalities. How cool it is!

fuzzfuzz

Reaction score
Thanks friendly guy! =)

And usually when are the exams held in Dec and June?
The whole duration of the month or some particular day nearing the start/middle/end of the month?

lin.ci84

Banned
Reaction score
Held on Sunday, first week.

I should be revising but oh well.. its either you know it or you don't know at this stage. lol

Where's everyone heading tml for lunch anyways?

lin.ci84

Banned
Reaction score
Not much time to unwind and relax, very packed! Hehehe.. it was an okay day for me. Hows everyone's experience?

AndreFLo

Master Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone

I am tinking of pursuing CFA, want to check, level 1 is purely consisting of MCQs? And wat time does the paper starts and ends? And wats the recommended time needed to spend on revising for the papers? Eg 3-4 months?

Thanks!

lin.ci84

Banned
Reaction score
hi yea jus mcqs start 9 end 5. depends how much time someone studies. i took 4 mths ;b but some of my frens did it in 1 mth tho. hehehe
Hey everyone

I am tinking of pursuing CFA, want to check, level 1 is purely consisting of MCQs? And wat time does the paper starts and ends? And wats the recommended time needed to spend on revising for the papers? Eg 3-4 months?

Thanks!

AndreFLo

Master Member
Reaction score
hi yea jus mcqs start 9 end 5. depends how much time someone studies. i took 4 mths ;b but some of my frens did it in 1 mth tho. hehehe

Ur frens did it in 1 month and still managed to pass? Wow...anyway which level are u at currently? Or u already cleared all 3 levels?

Seriously tinking of enrolling in the Dec paper...but its on the first Sunday of Dec rite? If so den it clashes with my SC run... :(

lin.ci84

Banned
Reaction score
Yes they managed to pass all 3 levels, usually they just take a month off and rushed through those notes.

I major in finance this is my first time taking level 1! Don't go for the run lo hehehehehehe

friendlyguy

Master Member
Reaction score

did you take classroom courses such as Kaplan and stalla? no need right? since the question is Mcqs

lin.ci84

Banned
Reaction score
I did not take and my friends didn't sign up for classes so not sure on its helpfulness hehehe.... :-D

friendlyguy

Master Member
Reaction score
May I know how many pages of textbooks from CFAI level 1 textbook, book 1-5?? since it stated difference e book and printed around $60?

22 September
$405
+ $630 + eBook only $995
+ print only $1,055
+ eBook and print $1,085

Crispin

Reaction score
Hi Mate
The thing is previously CFA used to sell entire book even though you want to write some level of entire CFA levels. Now they have changed i mean according to the level of the exam you want to go for they sell that level only .

toy watches

HoLoGram

Master Member
Reaction score
hi guys, i was just wondering on the amount of time required to study for CFA lvl. Intending to register for the Dec 2010 one if there's sufficient time in preparing for it.

just finished degree in ACCOUNTANCY, ntu so everything still kinda fresh. i shld think that banking and finance degree more relevant to CFA but was just wondering if the lvl of knowledge i have now is sufficient in preparing for CFA within this few months in order to PASS it.

coz i understand from some posts that lvl 1 is basically a summary of finance degree plus abit more.

also, a previous post said something bout having to have working exp in finance industry, etc. Just wondering would audit in big 4 be qualified as such?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.