Aztech powerline HL110EW weird issues, pls help..

molecule

Reaction score
I am unable to connect to laptop using the HL110EW and error showed "Limited Connectivity".
The PL-Act LEDs on the HL110E and HL110EW light up continuously.
Is this due to the firmware version or the IP address conflict. Router used is the 2WIRE (silver 2700) integrated router from Singnet.

Yr router connected to E?
Yr EW firmware is?

chq16290

Reaction score
3RD UPDATE

I have just finished speaking to a very helpful and capable chap from Aztech Support in Singapore.

1. CONFIRMED that there is a known issue with the HK110EW which will be addressed in a future firmware upgrade due (hopefully) by the end of June

2. CONFIRMED that the issue is with a hard-coded IP address assigned to the WiFi Access point in the HL110EW. The hard coded IP address is 192.168.1.1

3. CONFIRMED that 192.168.1.1 IP addresses will resolve to the MAC (Hardware Network) address of the HK110EW

4. CONFIRMED that LAN's with a device (any device) on 192.168.1.1 (normally the gateway router) will experience issues with dropped packets and general LAN degradation due to an IP address conflict between the existing device and the 192.168.1.1 HL110EW Access Point

5. NEW IMFORMATION: The Internal 192.168.1.1 address of the HL110EW Access Point should not be visible on the network. The fact that it is visible, and therefore 192.168.1.1 sometimes resolves to the MAC of the HL110EW and sometimes to the MAC of the gateway router, is the real problem that is causing the reported issues.

There was also a discussion about whether the chosen IP address could/should in fact be invisible or whether 192.168.1.1 was simply a bad choice of IP address. A 10.x.x.x IP address would be an alternative less likely to resolve to an existing device MAC on a home LAN although I can think of potential problems here with conflicts on corporate VPN's and other larger networks using 10.x.x.x addressing.

6. CONFIRMED that a work around is to place the LAN on a different subnet i.e. 192.168.2.x

It would be logical to conclude also that changing the IP address of the gateway router to something other than 192.168.1.1 - while still using the 192.168.1.x subnet - would also be a suitable workaround.

Release notes documenting the issue and firmware upgrade will be released by Aztech.

I have suggested that Aztech release a 'known issue' bulletin to this forum to help educate and work around this issue until the new firmware is ready.

Good luck to all.

thongkh

Reaction score
:angel:thankz for the info chq16290 :angel:,
this issue really bothering me for the last few days cos i just bought this less than a month.:crazy:
initially it was doing well, but these few days, it stop me frm accesing the internet. your info help me alot.
now just have to wait for Aztech to release new firmware. wonder when will it be ready.:s11:

setiardi

Reaction score
It's been 3 mths since I bought one and yet it takes someone like chq16290 to figure out the work around.

As I suspect, something is not right with the product. Aztech kinda slow to address the problem.

Mine collecting dust since then. Resort to Lan cable instead. At least Aztech should have acknowledge the issue.

Personally, I'd stay away from the Aztech from now on. Seems their R&D not comprehensive enough before putting out product for retail.

Also many other brands now have such products, not that I'll be using them anyway.

At least now I know I can sell away this product once a new firmware is developed to address the problem.

Aztech HQ

Reaction score
I have just finished speaking to a very helpful and capable chap from Aztech Support in Singapore.

1. CONFIRMED that there is a known issue with the HK110EW which will be addressed in a future firmware upgrade due (hopefully) by the end of June

2. CONFIRMED that the issue is with a hard-coded IP address assigned to the WiFi Access point in the HL110EW. The hard coded IP address is 192.168.1.1

3. CONFIRMED that 192.168.1.1 IP addresses will resolve to the MAC (Hardware Network) address of the HK110EW

4. CONFIRMED that LAN's with a device (any device) on 192.168.1.1 (normally the gateway router) will experience issues with dropped packets and general LAN degradation due to an IP address conflict between the existing device and the 192.168.1.1 HL110EW Access Point

5. NEW IMFORMATION: The Internal 192.168.1.1 address of the HL110EW Access Point should not be visible on the network. The fact that it is visible, and therefore 192.168.1.1 sometimes resolves to the MAC of the HL110EW and sometimes to the MAC of the gateway router, is the real problem that is causing the reported issues.

There was also a discussion about whether the chosen IP address could/should in fact be invisible or whether 192.168.1.1 was simply a bad choice of IP address. A 10.x.x.x IP address would be an alternative less likely to resolve to an existing device MAC on a home LAN although I can think of potential problems here with conflicts on corporate VPN's and other larger networks using 10.x.x.x addressing.

6. CONFIRMED that a work around is to place the LAN on a different subnet i.e. 192.168.2.x

It would be logical to conclude also that changing the IP address of the gateway router to something other than 192.168.1.1 - while still using the 192.168.1.x subnet - would also be a suitable workaround.

Release notes documenting the issue and firmware upgrade will be released by Aztech.

I have suggested that Aztech release a 'known issue' bulletin to this forum to help educate and work around this issue until the new firmware is ready.

Good luck to all.

To all Aztech HL110EW users,

We will be releasing a new firmware for HL110EW which will be available on our website for download tomorrow on the 4th June 2010. The address link for the download will be located at :

http://www.aztech.com/Support/drivers.html

Aztech HQ

Aztech HQ

Reaction score

A new firmware has been released to our ftp server today 3rd June 2010. The address link for the download of the new firmware can be located at :

ftp://ftp.aztech.com/support/SINGAPORE/HomePlug/HL110EW FW v 201.4-01_219.2.2-001.zip

FIRMWARE UPGRADE INSTRUCTION

1. Download the latest firmware from the following ftp link

ftp://ftp.aztech.com/support/SINGAPORE/HomePlug/HL110EW FW v 201.4-01_219.2.2-001.zip

2. Firmware will include 3 files

Homeplug AV Configuration filename : 206.2.4-01.pib

Homeplug AV Firmware filename : int6000-v4.01-0-1-B-FINAL.nvm

Wireless Firmware filename : 219.2.2-001.img

3. Save these 3 files into 1 folder to where you can easily locate during the FIRMWARE upgrade

4. Connect the device to the computer where you are using the HomePlug AV Wireless N Extender utility

5. Open HomePlug AV Wireless N Extender utility v4.01.58

clipboard02b.jpg

6. Under Firmware Upgrade tab click "Upgrade" button. You will be prompted to select the location of the latest firmware

7. After you select the location of the latest firmware, the upgrade will immediately start.

8. During Firmware Upgrade DO NOT turn OFF or RESET the device.

9. When process is complete the unit will reboot.

10. Hit the reset button for 3 seconds to reset to factory default settings.

reset.jpg

Fixes

The new firmware resolves the IP address conflict with 192.168.1.1 networks

Aztech HQ

Last edited:

chinkt

Reaction score

A new firmware has been released to our ftp server today 3rd June 2010. The address link for the download of the new firmware can be located at :

FIRMWARE UPGRADE INSTRUCTION

1. Download the latest firmware from the following ftp link

2. Firmware will include 3 files

Homeplug AV Configuration filename : 206.2.4-01.pib

Homeplug AV Firmware filename : int6000-v4.01-0-1-B-FINAL.nvm

Wireless Firmware filename : 219.2.2-001.img

3. Save these 3 files into 1 folder to where you can easily locate during the FIRMWARE upgrade

4. Connect the device to the computer where you are using the HomePlug AV Wireless N Extender utility

5. Open HomePlug AV Wireless N Extender utility v4.01.58

clipboard02b.jpg

6. Under Firmware Upgrade tab click "Upgrade" button. You will be prompted to select the location of the latest firmware

7. After you select the location of the latest firmware, the upgrade will immediately start.

8. During Firmware Upgrade DO NOT turn OFF or RESET the device.

9. When process is complete the unit will reboot.

Aztech HQ

I downloaded and upgraded this firmware tonight. The HL1100EW is now working with wireless connection.

mosasoma

Reaction score
my hl110ew cant use its wireless function and stuff any help?. i tried to sync also cannot

direwolf104

Reaction score
Hi Aztech,

i have downloaded and updated the latest firmware but when the homeplug is switched on my other computers still don't get internet connection. Is this firmware supposed to resolve that issue?:)

liangtam

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Aztech,

i have downloaded and updated the latest firmware but when the homeplug is switched on my other computers still don't get internet connection. Is this firmware supposed to resolve that issue?:)

hook direct to router and make sure it is working first, ya?

Aztech HQ

Reaction score
Hi Aztech,

Hi direwolf104,

After the firmware is successfully upgraded, ensure that you hit the reset button to reset to the factory default settings. :)

reset.jpg

Cheers, Aztech HQ

skl90h

Reaction score
Are there anymore connection issues with this combination of HL110EW & HL110E? I'm trying to find out whether its worth it to buy this package now.

PC Show 2010 Aztech offer: Buy HL110EW for $159 (UP:$169) and get HL110E ($69(UP:$85)) free

Turalyon

Reaction score
I just got my homeplugs bundle (110E and 110EW) and I have problems connecting my netbook to the 110EW. It is not able to get an IP address although I have managed to pair the two homeplugs together. It does not work for both wireless and wired. Any ideas?

whaleshark87

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just got my homeplugs bundle (110E and 110EW) and I have problems connecting my netbook to the 110EW. It is not able to get an IP address although I have managed to pair the two homeplugs together. It does not work for both wireless and wired. Any ideas?
What is your connection like?

Router/modem -> E -> EW ?

Or totally no router or modem?

blueside

Reaction score

Bro, am having the same problem as you.

HubstationHD modem -> EW
PC -> E

- Upgraded to the latest firmware (219.2.2-002).
- Pair up no problems.

Strangly, when i power up my PC, it grabbed my WAN ip (issued by starhub), shouldnt it be a private ip? ie 192.168.xx.xx ? Because of this, my other notebook can't grab any ip via the wireless.

But I can access internet using my PC.

whaleshark87

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bro, am having the same problem as you.

HubstationHD modem -> EW
PC -> E

- Upgraded to the latest firmware (219.2.2-002).
- Pair up no problems.

Strangly, when i power up my PC, it grabbed my WAN ip (issued by starhub), shouldnt it be a private ip? ie 192.168.xx.xx ? Because of this, my other notebook can't grab any ip via the wireless.

But I can access internet using my PC.
You need to restart your hubstation, as the ip issued is locked to the last known mac address, which is your desktop.

blueside

Reaction score
You need to restart your hubstation, as the ip issued is locked to the last known mac address, which is your desktop.

Thanks, ok. Here's what I did:

- I shutdown my PC
- Unplug the power to my hubstation
- Plug in the power cable to my hubstation
- Wait for orange LAN light on hubstation to become stable
- Connect my notebook to another port on the EW
- Power up my notebook.
- Now my notebook grabbed the WAN ip.

???

Did anyone get wireless on the EW to work? what is the private subnet 192.168.xx.xx ?

whaleshark87

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks, ok. Here's what I did:

- I shutdown my PC
- Unplug the power to my hubstation
- Plug in the power cable to my hubstation
- Wait for orange LAN light on hubstation to become stable
- Connect my notebook to another port on the EW
- Power up my notebook.
- Now my notebook grabbed the WAN ip.

???

Did anyone get wireless on the EW to work? what is the private subnet 192.168.xx.xx ?
Why don't you try

Hubstation -> E

EW - > PC, Laptop?

But remember, every time you change device, you need to power cycle the hubstation once.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.