Portfolio Net Worth & Dividends

Alphidius

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Come share your portfolio (equities/stocks) growth and earnings!

Mine so far still in the red...
Made a couple of bad calls in the beginning of this year and still paying for my mistakes right now... :(
Portfolio net worth stands at 22k-ish but net profit/loss is at ($457)*

*-Includes transaction costs, brokerage fees, etc...

Last edited:

wahsmlj

Reaction score
got caught on the high and didnt sell ):

portfolio ard 10k-ish..

how old are u..?

Alphidius

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
got caught on the high and didnt sell ):

portfolio ard 10k-ish..

how old are u..?

In the early part of my late 20s. :D
I'm looking to offload some rather pricey counters I have in my hands.
They're fundamentally sound companies just that the prices I bought them at were a wee bit high.
How old are you?

Last edited:

orc_exp

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In the early part of my late 20s. :D
I'm looking to offload some rather pricey counters I have in my hands.
They're good investments, just that the prices I bought them at were a wee bit high.
How old are you?

Hope you don't get offended by this but I think you are contradicting yourself.
How in the world is something considered a good investment when you bought it at a high price?

Price is the single determinant of whether or not a security is a good investment or not. A highly profitable company at an overpriced PPS is certainly a bad investment. A highly unprofitable company trading at say 0.0001 price per NAV is underpriced and a great investment.Any security can be a good investment at the right price.

If you believe that you bought a security at too high a price, it would certainly be wiser to put that money into better securities undervalued prices. Loss-Aversion is a mentally that plaques most investors, it would be wise to not fall into this dangerous trap.

My 2cents

Alphidius

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hope you don't get offended by this but I think you are contradicting yourself.
How in the world is something considered a good investment when you bought it at a high price?

Price is the single determinant of whether or not a security is a good investment or not. A highly profitable company at an overpriced PPS is certainly a bad investment. A highly unprofitable company trading at say 0.0001 price per NAV is underpriced and a great investment.Any security can be a good investment at the right price.

If you believe that you bought a security at too high a price, it would certainly be wiser to put that money into better securities undervalued prices. Loss-Aversion is a mentally that plaques most investors, it would be wise to not fall into this dangerous trap.

My 2cents

Hence my first post...
Alphidius said:
Made a couple of bad calls in the beginning of this year and still paying for my mistakes right now...

Maybe the word "investment" is wrong...
What I was trying to say was they're fundamentally sound companies but my entry into those counters were at the worst possible timing. :(

orc_exp

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In anycase its time to move on la. If the coy is fairly valued right now, no point holding on to the counter.

Dun let the "fundamentally sound company" part be an excuse to hold on to the stock ba

Alphidius

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In anycase its time to move on la. If the coy is fairly valued right now, no point holding on to the counter.

Dun let the "fundamentally sound company" part be an excuse to hold on to the stock ba

So you're suggesting to me to sell and realize the loss?

orc_exp

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
that would be for you to decide ba.

If there are better opportunities out there and i really did make a overpriced purchase i personally would realize the loss and move on. There are times when i even realize a loss even though i think a security is undervalued simply because of better opportunities. Its painful to realize losses thats for sure but its a mentality hurdle every investor should learn to overcome

my 2cnts

Alphidius

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about that a long time...
To cut loss and move on or hold, take dividends and sell at a better opportunity (if it ever comes along).
I'm doing a wait and see approach since the market is already recovering so quickly.
The counters I wanted are too pricey for me and those that I'm holding onto are still recovering.
Since I'm in no hurry to cash out, I can afford to wait.
That's the advantage of an investor...

SpinFire

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My portfolio is left with 11 lots of Cambridge and 4 lots of Cache after offloading NOL and SingTel. It's worth around $10K. Waiting for the next dip to re-build my portfolio.

Alphidius

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My portfolio is left with 11 lots of Cambridge and 4 lots of Cache after offloading NOL and SingTel. It's worth around $10K. Waiting for the next dip to re-build my portfolio.

I take it your portfolio net balance is positive right?
Your current portfolio worth is greater than the capital invested?

Last edited:

Chua Zhiming

Reaction score
24years old. Started only 2 months ago.

Capital of 9K invested in Starhub , bought at 2.25

Collected $200 dividends in May, current price of 2.3 , so profit of $400 or 4.44% :o

Holding till next year May or once stop-loss at 90% is triggered. My strategy wont win big bucks ... but can sleep peacefully at night :D

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I take it your portfolio net worth is positive right?
Your current portfolio value is greater than the capital invested?

You're confusing "net worth" and "profit".

If I buy $10k worth of Singtel shares, and then the price drops 10%, my net worth is still positive - it's gone from $10,000 to $9,000 - but my profit/loss is negative - minus $1,000.

(And there's nothing wrong with hanging on to the shares if they're still yielding decently - unless there's something out there that's explicitly better. Then, sure, ditch what you're holding and switch into something better.)

Alphidius

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You're confusing "net worth" and "profit".

If I buy $10k worth of Singtel shares, and then the price drops 10%, my net worth is still positive - it's gone from $10,000 to $9,000 - but my profit/loss is negative - minus $1,000.

(And there's nothing wrong with hanging on to the shares if they're still yielding decently - unless there's something out there that's explicitly better. Then, sure, ditch what you're holding and switch into something better.)

My bad, I was referring to net profit/loss...
Realized that it is hard to determine when to "buy low" some of the bigger companies' stocks.
Anyone has any good guidelines or best practice to follow?
Sure not using the lowest price of the past 52 weeks right?

yellow_pen

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My bad, I was referring to net profit/loss...
Realized that it is hard to determine when to "buy low" some of the bigger companies' stocks.
Anyone has any good guidelines or best practice to follow?
Sure not using the lowest price of the past 52 weeks right?

no one can buy at the absolute lowest and sell at absolute highest. If anyone is able to do that, i believe it is luck.

escapee

Reaction score
no one can buy at the absolute lowest and sell at absolute highest. If anyone is able to do that, i believe it is luck.

Hi there,

Me 27 this year, jump into the market 1+ yr ago.

Enter into the market when STI was around 1780+ points. Recently just offloaded my STI at about 2.5 per piece (only 3 lots la, no capital)

Plough all my capital into medical sector as I feel that with the aging population it can be a growing market, plus it is more resilient to the economic swings.

Kindly give your comments, welcome all. Newbie here.

SpinFire

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Me 27 this year, jump into the market 1+ yr ago.

Enter into the market when STI was around 1780+ points. Recently just offloaded my STI at about 2.5 per piece (only 3 lots la, no capital)

Plough all my capital into medical sector as I feel that with the aging population it can be a growing market, plus it is more resilient to the economic swings.

Kindly give your comments, welcome all. Newbie here.

Which counters did you buy?

Personally, I'm eyeing on Healthway, Plife REIT and Parkway. But they're all quite expensive now, and I'm looking to buy them at cheaper prices in the future.

addict951

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
ts, those good companies you bought at high is it Temasek companies?
die die no sell ok (I mean if intention to cut loss)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.