Back from South island New Zealand

socrates

Reaction score
I did not even stay in Christchurch after I landed, immediately took the car and drove to Lake Tekapo. Only on before I flew back to Singapore did I stay in Christchurch. I think main purpose is to see the scenery and not the city . Anyway I always feel better to do the shopping at the end of trip rather than in the begining and have to carry everything everywhere.

Have fun !

donald83

Master Member
Reaction score
But will only arrive in Christchurch at 9+am. So i guess would be pretty beat for the day. Any driving routes to recommend? Seems like there's so much to see. East coast, south, central, west coast etc...

If not enough time, i think i would do central, south and west. Any suggestions?

socrates

Reaction score
Yes you can go towards kaikoura which is higher north or head south which is Lake Tekapo which is also within 2-3 hrs. It is quite easy to drive there as there are few cars and you can take your time as well. Your decision depends which you are talking

donald83

Master Member
Reaction score
I won't be heading north. Socrates do u mind sending me your itinerary? Anyway anything to see at east coast? Omaru and dundenin that stretch. Cos not sure which route I will take but definitely going central area

blizzy

Master Member
Reaction score
oamaru - blue penguins, at night. which fits you well. say you drive off 11am. you should reach oamaru within 4hrs, 3pm. rest a while, go penguins at night.

dunedin is at least 5hrs away from christchurch, and wasn't worth the detour to me

socrates

Reaction score
Looking at this post again made me feel like sharing a few more pictures. Here' from Lake Tekapo

01.jpg

The famous little stone church which overlooks the lake

02.jpg

Fascinated by the beautiful flowers called lupines. I wonder if you will see them Donald when you go in July

03.jpg

This is my view while having dinner at a Thai resturant !

04.jpg

Miss NZ ..

donald83

Master Member
Reaction score
Wow nice pics. Intend to stay a couple of nights at Lake Tekapo area. Any accomodation recommendations?

It's quite hard for me to plan and book the accomodations in advance since I don't know how much time I need to spend at each area.

Is it safe to just drive and travel around without booking accomodation in advance and just check into any motels along the way?

socrates

Reaction score
You could drive around looking for places to stay but I think it is better that you have a plan and book in advance as you might get better rates, saves you the trouble of looking for accomadation after a tiring day and at times it may be hard to find a room as all these places are very touristy and in the end you may have to pay much more than you wanted to. I made a lot decisions by reading suggestions from trip advisor which gives very good suggestions for a range of budget. There were 4 of us and I stayed in mostly B and Bs which made it cost effective and it was also a good experience. You could do something like the itineary which I PM you.:yawn:

travisneo

Reaction score
Hi Socrates. Could you pm me your itinerary too? :) im heading to NZ this july. thx a lot bro.:o

MSToy

Reaction score
Anyone require a New Zealand GPS? It is easy to drive with GPS around but not in city area like Christchurch & Queentown. But with GPS, it really save a lot of time and without looking at streetdirectory.

donald83

Master Member
Reaction score
Dear all, i will be flying to Christchurch in 2 weeks time! Flying on 18th July and coming back on 29th July. 11 days.

My itinerary as below.

1st Day - Explore Christchurch
2nd Day - Drive to Lake Tekapo and stay 1 night there
3rd Day - Drive all the way to Dunedin and stay one night
4th and 5th day - 2 nights at Te anau
6th and 7th - Queenstown
8th and 9th - Fox Glacier
10th Christchurch

I sent my itinerary to Teddy (recommended by socrates) but he said my itinerary is too ambitious and packed.

However I don't know how to plan. Perhaps giving Dunedin and east coast a miss? What to replace it then?

socrates

Reaction score
I sent you a PM yesterday. Anyway

You could replace Dunedin with an extra night in Queenstown. Lots of places around Queenstown to see and lots to do in this touristy town.

You also do not really need 2 nights in Fox glacier. The town is just 1 street and the main attraction is the glacier which can be done in the afternoon after leaving Queenstown in the morning.

Christchurch, Lake tekapo, Te Anau, Queenstown and Fox glacier and back to Christchurch are the main tourist stops along this route. You could also borrow a lonely planet guide and check out the route you plan to take and you may want to spend some time or even a night at some place which takes up your fancy/interest but does not divert too far off your main route.

donald83

Master Member
Reaction score
Tks socrates for your help. The problem is I've already booked my accom so will be hard to change wothout incurring additional charges. But luckily dunedin can change. Prob can replace with wanaka or arrowtown? Cos I booked 2 nites queenstown already which is 3 days after I booked at dunedin

Doesn't make sense to replace dunedin with queenstown, then I go for 2 nitess at te anau before going back to queenstown again for 2 more nights

Last edited:

socrates

Reaction score
Donald 83

Arrowtown is a very small quaint town which is close to Queenstown, good for an afternoon visit but not very much more.

Wanaka is better place to perhaps stay a night as it is bigger and much more to see. Make sure you go and visit the puzzle world which is very good fun. Wanaka would also make your traveling distance to Fox glacier a bit shorter from Queenstown.( If I remember correctly Wanaka is about 1.5 hours away from Queenstown.)

There are 2 ways to get to Wanaka from Queenstown. One is the more scenic route up and through the mountains

nzz02.jpg

The road up and that's my car

nzz01.jpg

Amazing scenery and I sure your's will have snow !

nzz03.jpg

Puzzleworld which is very much worth a visit

nzz04.jpg

The lake at Wanaka where I had lunch with the ducks by the lakeside looking into the lake and the snow capped mountains. Something we can never do in Singapore ..........

donald83

Master Member
Reaction score
Guess i will stay a night at Wanaka. Then i will drive past Queenstown and stay 2 nights at Te Anau. Then drive to Queenstown again and stay 2 nights before going to Fox.

2 days at Fox is becos im gg to visit Franz Joseph as well

Kjonxx

Reaction score
Beautiful pictures socrates!! Im going to NZ for holiday this november and the pictures you posted just makes me all the more looking forward to it!

But i'll be heading to Auckland and I am not sure if I can cover attractions like Milford Sound and Aoraki National Park in the south island within 10 days of F&E since it's like travelling from one end to the other end and doesnt make sense since i'll be touring the North island too. Do you think it can be done?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.