Surge Protector

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Other than the lightning part.

If your appliance short circuit, without using surge protector, your house main circuit breaker might tripped, fuse blown or if old circuit breaker, might even cause damage to other appliances.

By plugging your appliance on the surge protector, the damage will just stop at the multisocket strip surge protector.

Serious question : Are you sure the ordinary Belkin surge protector can protect against excess current due to short circuit? Tell me which component the Belkin surge protector has that can do this? As far as I can tell, there are no circuit breakers in the cheap Belkin strips.

If not sure, better not anyhow claim that surge protector can do the same function as circuit breaker, especially when safety is at stake.

I have no training myself, so I want to get clarification, but what I have learnt is the circuit breaker and surge protector are different, but I could be wrong also.

Last edited:

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Serious question : Are you sure the ordinary Belkin surge protector can protect against excess current due to short circuit? Tell me which component the Belkin surge protector has that can do this? As far as I can tell, there are no circuit breakers in the cheap Belkin strips.

If not sure, better not anyhow claim that surge protector can do the same function as circuit breaker, especially when safety is at stake.

I have no training myself, so I want to get clarification, but what I have learnt is the circuit breaker and surge protector are different, but I could be wrong also.

I know what can do the same function as circuit breaker.

It's called a fuse.

Singapore follows BS 1363, meaning all our plugs except 2-pin ones (which can't be used anyway without 'cheating') are fused.

t258jgn

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I've experience before. Previously my iron was plugged directly to a wall socket. Whenever I over filled the water, the house main circuit breaker will tripped. When I turn back on the circuit breaker switch, there's always one of the appliance plug fuse blow (those connect directly to wall plug). But no fuse blown from all equipments in my room which are originally plugged into surge protector multi plug strips.

From then onwards, all appliances in my house are plugged into surge protector strips. No more blown fuse.

You might not believe. But I believe it may do some good to my equipments. ;)

One more thing.
Some surge protectors have a line-conditioning system for filtering out "line noise," smaller fluctuations in electrical current. Basic surge protectors with line-conditioning use a fairly simple system. On its way to the power strip outlet, the hot wire passes through a toroidal choke coil. The choke is a just ring of magnetic material, wrapped with wire -- a basic electromagnet. The ups and downs of the passing current in the hot wire charge the electromagnet, causing it to emit electromagnetic forces that smooth out the small increases and decreases in current. This "conditioned" current is more stable, and so easier on your computer (or other electronic device).

That's why I never experience humming sound from my PC power supply and my hifi power amp.

Last edited:

westom

Reaction score
Surge is not high current but a rush of current, when an equipment suddenly turn on or shut down it may create a interfernce next to the other when it is already on state on the same line let say a mutli-extension cord.
Just example,
If a surge is a rush of current, then voltage drops. But a 120 volt surge protector, according to manufacturer specs, does nothing until that 120 volts *increases* above 330 volts. IOW the surge protector remains inert during a current surge. Does nothing. And current surges do no damage.

Many using word association will confuse that surge with another surge from a USB port surge. USB ports cut off power when a USB device draws too much power. And that also is equivalent to a surge that creates 6000 volts inside an appliance? So we shold put surge protectors on USB ports? Word association is how junk science conclusions are obtained.

Surge protectors are for significant voltages that occur in microseconds. That surge overwhelms protection inside every appliance. If that energy is inside the house, then nothing will stop it. That type of surge goes hunting for earth destructively via appliances. Protection from a surge that can actually harm computer, furnace, and bathroom GFCIs must be earthed before it enters the building. That has no relationship to current demanded by a powered on appliance.

So what do plug-in protctors do? Most every fire department has seen this problem:
http://www.hanford.gov/rl/?page=556&parent=554
http://www.ddxg.net/old/surge_protectors.htm
http://www.zerosurge.com/HTML/movs.html
http://tinyurl.com/3x73ol is entitled "Surge Protector Fires"
http://www3.cw56.com/news/articles/local/BO63312/
http://www.nmsu.edu/~safety/news/lesson-learned/surgeprotectorfire.htm
http://www.pennsburgfireco.com/fullstory.php?58339

Just another reason why informed homeowners earth one 'whole house' protector so that a sleeping computer is not at risk. Plug-in protectors (and that sleeping computer) require protection only provided by one 'whole house' protector. Or would you rather wait to see if it can also happen to you?

Next post deals with another myth promoted when one fails to first read what the manufacturer says in fine print.

westom

Reaction score
Go ahead get a belkin one. They will replace the stuff damaged by surge up to 10k iirc.
One should read the fine print before recommending anything. For example, an APC warranty said a protector from any other manufacturer in the house voids their warranty. Fine print is chock full of such exemptions when selling a profit center to people who do not first read.

They are not selling effective protection or insurance. They are selling a profit center - also called a scam. To have not read that fine print means one recommends by believing lies in a sales brochure. First read the facts.

How good is that Belkin warranty? Newsman on 10 Sept 2002 in "SONY TiVo SVR-2000":
> I got a Belkin surge protector with phone line protection soley for Tivo purposes.
> Yet my Tivo's modem still failed. And the '$20,000 connected devices warranty' did
> not help me. I jumped through many hoops, including finding the original recept
> for the surge protector (just under a year old) and I sent my surge protector to
> Belkin (paid for shipping), and was denied my warranty. They gave me a ton of crap,
> including that it was null and void b/c the Tivo was also connected to the coax
> line for cable (this was not mentioned as a thing in the warranty that can nullify
> it). Eventually it boiled down to a line in the warranty that said "Belkin at
> it's sole discretion can reject any claim for any reason".

People make unsubstantiates claims such as "Belkin will filter power" Or "it sacrifices itself to save my computer". Or it will stop damage from short circuits (which is the job of circuit breakers and does not cause appliance damage).

Plug-in protectors have a history of even creating house fires - or that apartment building in Boston. What do you think happens when a protector rated at hundreds of joules must somehow absorb hundreds of thousands of joule? But then means reading facts and numbers before knowing anything. Not endorsing claims based in hearsay and advertising myths.

Slpy

Master Member
Reaction score
SIC lobang with you all

2d1lhdz.jpg

Carrerfour suntec selling at this price

2q9glqf.jpg

last i saw less than 5 sets left
i think someone is gonna kill me :s16:

csc12345678

Master Member
Reaction score
May I know what surge protector you use ?

I've experience before. Previously my iron was plugged directly to a wall socket. Whenever I over filled the water, the house main circuit breaker will tripped. When I turn back on the circuit breaker switch, there's always one of the appliance plug fuse blow (those connect directly to wall plug). But no fuse blown from all equipments in my room which are originally plugged into surge protector multi plug strips.

From then onwards, all appliances in my house are plugged into surge protector strips. No more blown fuse.

You might not believe. But I believe it may do some good to my equipments. ;)

One more thing.
Some surge protectors have a line-conditioning system for filtering out "line noise," smaller fluctuations in electrical current. Basic surge protectors with line-conditioning use a fairly simple system. On its way to the power strip outlet, the hot wire passes through a toroidal choke coil. The choke is a just ring of magnetic material, wrapped with wire -- a basic electromagnet. The ups and downs of the passing current in the hot wire charge the electromagnet, causing it to emit electromagnetic forces that smooth out the small increases and decreases in current. This "conditioned" current is more stable, and so easier on your computer (or other electronic device).

That's why I never experience humming sound from my PC power supply and my hifi power amp.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wow

One should read the fine print before recommending anything. For example, an APC warranty said a protector from any other manufacturer in the house voids their warranty. Fine print is chock full of such exemptions when selling a profit center to people who do not first read.

They are not selling effective protection or insurance. They are selling a profit center - also called a scam. To have not read that fine print means one recommends by believing lies in a sales brochure. First read the facts.

How good is that Belkin warranty? Newsman on 10 Sept 2002 in "SONY TiVo SVR-2000":
> I got a Belkin surge protector with phone line protection soley for Tivo purposes.
> Yet my Tivo's modem still failed. And the '$20,000 connected devices warranty' did
> not help me. I jumped through many hoops, including finding the original recept
> for the surge protector (just under a year old) and I sent my surge protector to
> Belkin (paid for shipping), and was denied my warranty. They gave me a ton of crap,
> including that it was null and void b/c the Tivo was also connected to the coax
> line for cable (this was not mentioned as a thing in the warranty that can nullify
> it). Eventually it boiled down to a line in the warranty that said "Belkin at
> it's sole discretion can reject any claim for any reason".

People make unsubstantiates claims such as "Belkin will filter power" Or "it sacrifices itself to save my computer". Or it will stop damage from short circuits (which is the job of circuit breakers and does not cause appliance damage).

Plug-in protectors have a history of even creating house fires - or that apartment building in Boston. What do you think happens when a protector rated at hundreds of joules must somehow absorb hundreds of thousands of joule? But then means reading facts and numbers before knowing anything. Not endorsing claims based in hearsay and advertising myths.

This deserves a sticky.

CI

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I used to switch off my PC when I go out. But now, I want to leave it on. Do I need a surge protector ?

Don't make sense. You mean if you switch on your PC when you are at home, you don't need a surge protector? If you really want to leave your PC on when you are out, then a UPS makes more sense. Preferably one that can auto shut down your PC if the UPS runs out of power should the source tripped. Surge protector cannot do that.

I using the APC BR800I, can specify how many minutes before total power loss to shut down the PC when I'm not at home. My house tripped a few times every year (esp during thunderstorms) and I run my PC near 24/7 so UPS is important. Their support so far seems pretty good. The UPS behaving funny recently. Made a report to APC support and they actually call me back to chase for an update on the status after giving their advice the first time.

:)

hpv500

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
interesting topic...so shld or shld not get one?....

t258jgn

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Can choose not to use surge protector multi socket strip.

But you'll be asking for trouble if plug every thing in one socket

overloaded_sockets.jpg

hpv500

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
juz getting those 6 socket strip shld be fine unless surge protection is required...as long as dun overload the point on each socket...

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can choose not to use surge protector multi socket strip.

But you'll be asking for trouble if plug every thing in one socket

overloaded_sockets.jpg

I wonder about this urban myth also... since the cause of fire is due to overheating from excessive current and high resistance at connectors, the plug of the power strip connecting to the wall socket should be the most susceptible to bursting into flames compared to the 3-way adapters further down which can only plug a maximum of, urm, 3 plugs.

Yet seldom see photos of that plug of the power strip in flames, only pictures of loose connections and broken wires and photoshopped flames that can create so much soot from burning plastic.

Anyway, no matter what power strip you use, maximum is still 13A for everything connected to that single plug at the wall.

Last edited:

csc12345678

Master Member
Reaction score
I thought leaving it on for a longer time when I'm out increase the probability of getting surge. And when there are thunderstorms, I'm not at home to switch it off.

Don't make sense. You mean if you switch on your PC when you are at home, you don't need a surge protector? If you really want to leave your PC on when you are out, then a UPS makes more sense. Preferably one that can auto shut down your PC if the UPS runs out of power should the source tripped. Surge protector cannot do that.

I using the APC BR800I, can specify how many minutes before total power loss to shut down the PC when I'm not at home. My house tripped a few times every year (esp during thunderstorms) and I run my PC near 24/7 so UPS is important. Their support so far seems pretty good. The UPS behaving funny recently. Made a report to APC support and they actually call me back to chase for an update on the status after giving their advice the first time.

:)

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have your fridge/TV/lights/handphone charger been destroyed in thunderstorms before?

jiacong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
btw how many in singapore do buy surge protectors, very few i believe.

almost 100% of household in singapore uses multi plug extension etc.

rates of fire due to electrical appliances negligible.

My self i do not use any multiplug or extension at home. in my room alone i got 14 power points. one electrical device to one power point.

Slpy

Master Member
Reaction score
btw how many in singapore do buy surge protectors, very few i believe.

almost 100% of household in singapore uses multi plug extension etc.

rates of fire due to electrical appliances negligible.

My self i do not use any multiplug or extension at home. in my room alone i got 14 power points. one electrical device to one power point.

well, if you have spare cash and want to have a safe mind, go ahead and buy
else, don't bother.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.