(FAQ) For Blackberries. Please read this before asking.

Dynosaur

Reaction score
help

Hi,

I have this iphone data plan smartsurf. And then i got a new ph from my sis blackberry 9700. I heard to be able to fully use BB, i need BIS plan. But my contract is still a long way to go. Can anyone tell me what i can do with my new BB? I know i cant use push mail and email. but i have data plan and i dun get it, y cant i fully use my bb? how bout facebook, twitter and Can i use BB messenger (the one with the pin)?

Pls help me out.
Thanks and sry if this questions have been asked.

Dynosaur.
Dynosaur is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have this iphone data plan smartsurf. And then i got a new ph from my sis blackberry 9700. I heard to be able to fully use BB, i need BIS plan. But my contract is still a long way to go. Can anyone tell me what i can do with my new BB? I know i cant use push mail and email. but i have data plan and i dun get it, y cant i fully use my bb? how bout facebook, twitter and Can i use BB messenger (the one with the pin)?

Pls help me out.
Thanks and sry if this questions have been asked.

Dynosaur.
Dynosaur is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote

Hi bro.
i redirected you here is for you to READ this post.
Your questions have all been answered already.

iphone plan = BBOM in the website.

mailerboxsg

Reaction score
SingTel BIS

Hi,

I have been using BB for several months but still have some questions with regards to SingTel BB service.

I subscribed to the plan with 12gb data service and 3gb Blackberry Internet service. I like to know what apps/services use 12gb data service and what uses 3gb BIS? I am currently using Internet browsing, MSN, BB Messenger, Facebook and several apps. Which uses what?

I am travelling overseas soon and which to subscribe for one of SingTel's data roaming service. The clause stated "Unlimited data roaming usage is only applicable on BlackBerry APNs. If you use a BlackBerry device but surf on non-BlackBerry APNs (e.g. Internet APN or e-IDEAS APN), prevailing data roaming charges apply."

So what's BlackBerry APNs? Does Internet surfing, MSN-ing, Push-mails include under this APN service?

Lastly, is the default Internet Browser installed on the device BLACKBERRY INTERNET BROWSER?

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been using BB for several months but still have some questions with regards to SingTel BB service.

I subscribed to the plan with 12gb data service and 3gb Blackberry Internet service. I like to know what apps/services use 12gb data service and what uses 3gb BIS? I am currently using Internet browsing, MSN, BB Messenger, Facebook and several apps. Which uses what?

I am travelling overseas soon and which to subscribe for one of SingTel's data roaming service. The clause stated "Unlimited data roaming usage is only applicable on BlackBerry APNs. If you use a BlackBerry device but surf on non-BlackBerry APNs (e.g. Internet APN or e-IDEAS APN), prevailing data roaming charges apply."

So what's BlackBerry APNs? Does Internet surfing, MSN-ing, Push-mails include under this APN service?

Lastly, is the default Internet Browser installed on the device BLACKBERRY INTERNET BROWSER?

Hi bro.
i believe the answer was already given to you on the thread you created not long ago.

For unlimited, it should be included in the umbrella already.

The default internet browser is called browser. Usually set to ur telco's portal. U may want to set to "internet browser" under options.

In most instances (if u use default), its routed through BIS and not the data plan (12gb aka bbom). And when u tether, only then it will touch that.

The APN is a access point name whereby it is a unique identifier that allows connection to the network and it identifies the data access services associated with your account. The APN is the exit point from the 3G or GPRS network into either the public Internet or a private customer gateway.

We usually wont touch that unless we tether.

Blackberry services (if im not wrong) are not activated when APN is active (someone mentioned it earlier. Have not got to try it though).
What i think it means is that, through the blackberry access points which have already been integrated into the device by default.

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi i'm going to be a hybrid user of both iPhone and Blackberry 9630 soon.

I have a few queries please bare with me as i'm a new user. Googling it online gives me so much info till i don't know whether it is helping me or not. lol. Or shall i say super confused till there is one day whereby i'm stressed out.

1st. My SH line is on Smartsurf 300. I understand that i need a BIS in order to fully utilies my bb. Now, when i surf the net, like lets say googling and other website am i using my Bbom? or am i using BIS?

2nd. If i'm having a BIS. When i'm using Whatsapp for instance. Will it use BIS or bbom?

3rd. Bb Pin. How do i go about it? Is it a think to download? Or a thing to play with? Or is it one bb device fixed to one bb pin? Or is it Telcos will give us a specified bb pin?

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi i'm going to be a hybrid user of both iPhone and Blackberry 9630 soon.

I have a few queries please bare with me as i'm a new user. Googling it online gives me so much info till i don't know whether it is helping me or not. lol. Or shall i say super confused till there is one day whereby i'm stressed out.

1st. My SH line is on Smartsurf 300. I understand that i need a BIS in order to fully utilies my bb. Now, when i surf the net, like lets say googling and other website am i using my Bbom? or am i using BIS?

2nd. If i'm having a BIS. When i'm using Whatsapp for instance. Will it use BIS or bbom?

3rd. Bb Pin. How do i go about it? Is it a think to download? Or a thing to play with? Or is it one bb device fixed to one bb pin? Or is it Telcos will give us a specified bb pin?

For blackberry, as long as u don't touch any advanced settings, it will be under bis. It will only touch bbom if u edit these settings such as "APN"
Just read the faq and forget about other sites as they are nt meant for singapore.

Pin is a hardcoded pin into each device individually.

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For blackberry, as long as u don't touch any advanced settings, it will be under bis. It will only touch bbom if u edit these settings such as "APN"
Just read the faq and forget about other sites as they are nt meant for singapore.

Pin is a hardcoded pin into each device individually.

I see. But no matter what, if i change my APN settings to bbom will i still be able to use such things as Bb messenger?

So since i'm going to buy the tour, the pin that seller should know? Or in other words how do i check the pin?

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I see. According to some users, no, it won't be usable. I can't confirm it myself since I don't use bbom.

Qns2: refer to FAQ or http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=2734656

Has info of what u need to know and how to check.

Oh. And I think that tour can't be used with sh. I know 9650 can but only after making calls to sh and etc to persuade them, 9630, I dun remember it being able to.. Works on st and m1 though

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I see. I have read it and thanks for the info.

Last question. The bb 9630 that i would be buying from another seller i THINK its an export set. But however pin have not been registered before. Can i register in any local telcos here?

Appreicated your help a lot.

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I see. I have read it and thanks for the info.

Last question. The bb 9630 that i would be buying from another seller i THINK its an export set. But however pin have not been registered before. Can i register in any local telcos here?

Appreicated your help a lot.

Hello.
Export, import, local, overseas, AT&T, T-mobile sets etc etc have no difference. It can be used with any telco's service. The only thing that might hinder will be the telco lock which can be unlocked easily (if come the time, if it is required, it should less than us$9). However, usually will be unlocked already lah. If come the time then ask about that.

If they tell u haven register, and u nvr check urself, then risk might still be there that it is a blacklisted set. I can also say my phone is not registered, but it may actually been or even blacklisted. So, do take note.

Panunited

Reaction score
BB9700

Hi im new to BB, just got bold 9700 with ST 1 GB BIS plan and have follow question:

I can received and send email but unable to access BB app world, when I click icon from menu, message shown" BB app world is having trouble connect to BB server, verify ur network connection and try again". what is wrong?
Also how can I add inbox, out folder from the email folder? present all incoming and send mail are mixed in the message folder.

Many thanks in advance.

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi im new to BB, just got bold 9700 with ST 1 GB BIS plan and have follow question:

I can received and send email but unable to access BB app world, when I click icon from menu, message shown" BB app world is having trouble connect to BB server, verify ur network connection and try again". what is wrong?
Also how can I add inbox, out folder from the email folder? present all incoming and send mail are mixed in the message folder.

Many thanks in advance.

Frankly, I can't remember if 1gb is allowed to surf the appworld.
Can please confirm ur APN (options -> advanced -> TCP/IP) is blank. If it is, then I'm not sure already.

Its not possible (from what I know) to split inbox and sent box. You can hide the sent emails though, but not split them..

Panunited

Reaction score
Frankly, I can't remember if 1gb is allowed to surf the appworld.
Can please confirm ur APN (options -> advanced -> TCP/IP) is blank. If it is, then I'm not sure already.

Its not possible (from what I know) to split inbox and sent box. You can hide the sent emails though, but not split them..

all APN setting are blank. however I have also a ST ideas 1gb data plan, can it be surf the appworld?

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
all APN setting are blank. however I have also a ST ideas 1gb data plan, can it be surf the appworld?
No. That will be considered as bbom.

What u need here is the service books aka access points. For 1gb, they limit u to only email and instant message is by only giving u the above's service books.

That's why bbom users who REfuse to get bis cnt use bbm and etc services.

Panunited

Reaction score
No. That will be considered as bbom.

What u need here is the service books aka access points. For 1gb, they limit u to only email and instant message is by only giving u the above's service books.

That's why bbom users who REfuse to get bis cnt use bbm and etc services.

Siah looks like have to upgrd to 3gb BIS liao. another question is how could down load file i.e. word or excel from PC? understand need to convert it to .AXL or aka application loader file. and how we achieve? thanks

Last edited:

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why everyone got the misconception that doc/xls/ppt/pdf files are application?

Treat it as a file. Not APPLICATION.
An application is one where gives u functionality on ur device.

Just copy the files into ur phone's media card. U can use docs to go to open it.

Panunited

Reaction score
Why everyone got the misconception that doc/xls/ppt/pdf files are application?

Treat it as a file. Not APPLICATION.
An application is one where gives u functionality on ur device.

Just copy the files into ur phone's media card. U can use docs to go to open it.

Ha Ha sorry too much confused liao=:p , now got it.

I also tried to enable wifi from my ST ideas gprs data plan, but seem have difficulty to set up. I click wifi setup, after scan for network available, shown SINGTEL-9990 and 2wire018, if i select WEP from list of security type. and entered wep key taken from my isp modern, it doesn't work. error shown "failed to authenticate against the network" please help! thanks. btw I have switched 3g to GPRS.

Last edited:

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ha Ha sorry too much confused liao=:p , now got it.

I also tried to enable wifi from my ST ideas gprs data plan, but seem have difficulty to set up. I click wifi setup, after scan for network available, shown SINGTEL-9990 and 2wire018, if i select WEP from list of security type. and entered wep key taken from my isp modern, it doesn't work. error shown "failed to authenticate against the network" please help! thanks. btw I have switched 3g to GPRS.

:) okays.

Hmm. Did you make sure that the key entered is correct and correct network?
Because Its saying u enter wrongly..
Changing 3g to GPRS won't make any diff anyway since its just the bandwidth being used (faster or slower)

helloiamnick

Reaction score
I have a question
If i have an iphone right now with a 1GB data plan that i added on.
And i switch to a blackberry, do i need to pay extra to use BIM?
My provider is Singtel

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have a question
If i have an iphone right now with a 1GB data plan that i added on.
And i switch to a blackberry, do i need to pay extra to use BIM?
My provider is Singtel

Yes. As with any telco, bis is not some free service unlike that of iphones or andriods. Unless you can convince them to change for you :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.