Recommended Cat Food & Shops in Singapore

Yowzer

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i don't live there but i find that orijen has been very irresponsible in the incident
ALL pet foods go through this process call irradiation which destroys certain vital nutrients
champion (manufacturer of both orijen and acana) knew but did not do anything
this is why the cats died...

Both parties are at fault.

Orijen knew irradiation was an import requirement. But did not know about the real effects. They wanted to break into Ozzie market and didn't do diligence on the possible results. They withdrew it and no longer import to Ozzie.

To me, most scary is the Ozzie authority. They are the only country in the world who irradiate at this high level. They simply went through the process and released it into their homeland! What is the purpose of this 'safety' procedure then. Dread to think about all the other food they handled.

applefreak

Reaction score
they have to do it to prevent the introduction of foreign matters into their eco system
their flora/fauna is very different from other mainland and therefore susceptible to what may be normal to other species...

as for champion, the fact that they no longer import to australia is cold comfort to the scores of cats that died :(

Hendrix

Reaction score
hi guys,

i'm currently feeding my cat royal canin. Is that bad?

After reading the thread, most people recommend Orijen, Acana, Solid Gold, Taste of the wild. May i know where can i get them? Preferably somewhere central.

Also what kind of wet food do you guys recommend? I've been feeding my cat fancy feast, sometimes wellness and natural balance.

Hendrix

Reaction score
I got a pack of taste of the wild for my cat. Saw it going at 35% disc. :D my cat ate it without rejection, although when my dad make some loud noise then it frighten the cat until he spit 2 biscuits out...

The cat food without disc a bit expensive wor~

I also just bought taste of the wild at 35% discount. But the expiry date is quite early. Mid jan 2011.

I'm not sure how long can 5lb pack last for one cat. zzz

Last edited:

xtrname

Reaction score
hi guys,

i'm currently feeding my cat royal canin. Is that bad?

After reading the thread, most people recommend Orijen, Acana, Solid Gold, Taste of the wild. May i know where can i get them? Preferably somewhere central.

Also what kind of wet food do you guys recommend? I've been feeding my cat fancy feast, sometimes wellness and natural balance.

Sori, but Royal Canin looks like another scam job. Don't know which 1 you feeding. They have so many types and just picked a generic one. -ROYAL CANIN FELINE HEALTH NUTRITION EXIGENT 35/30 DRY CAT FOOD

Their basic ingredients shd be about the same. I think RC is not cheap also?

Maize - Maize, corn all the same. Poor protein source cannot be utilized by cats at all.

Dehydrated poultry meat - Good brands will name meat source like chicken or duck. Dubious & possibly leftover parts.

Rice - only provides carbohydrates which have no benificial value to cats. In fact harmful to them over time.

Vegetable protein isolate- not sure. But vegetable protein usually cannot be metabolised by cats. Cats do not eat vegetables in their natural environment.

Animal fats - un-named highly dubious source. Animal covers everything.

Maize gluten - even worse than maize. Left over parts of maize. Highly undigestable.

Ingredients: Maize, dehydrated poultry meat, rice, vegetable protein isolate*, animal fats, maize gluten, hydrolysed animal proteins, vegetable fibres, minerals, beet pulp, yeasts, soya oil, sodium phosphate, egg powder, fructo-oligo-saccharides, paprika extracts, borage oil.

xtrname

Reaction score
Orijen, acana is among the better ones. But judge yourself how much you make of the australia incident.

saycheese

Banned
Reaction score
Is there any recommended wet food for cats? I'm currently feeding my kitten with royal canin but will probably make a stop to the pet shop which provide me with this and see if there is natural balance or taste of the wild.

xtrname

Reaction score
Not sure about wet food. Research on dry was done for my own cats, which are mostly strays. But their diet consists of a large proportion of wetfood also.

Solid gold indigo moon (dry food) is among the better ones also. On a cost/kg basis.

But remember to always have as much BARF , raw/home-prepared/wet food as possible in a cats diet. Dry food is at best a poor substitute for their natural diet. Water must always be provided with dry food. And try to wet the dry food before giving to the cat. They usually won't mind unless it becomes soaked and soggy.

Last edited:

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is there any recommended wet food for cats? I'm currently feeding my kitten with royal canin but will probably make a stop to the pet shop which provide me with this and see if there is natural balance or taste of the wild.

Wellness grain-free. You can recognize it with that yellow triangle on the label.

NOT CHEAP.

Well, yes if you know which are the sources. Nutrition Park sold it rather cheaply but I think they were forced to stop it.

I'll keep a look out.

LotusSoup

Reaction score
Hey. Got any affordable yet healthy dried cat food for community cats or not? I'm feeding an awful lots of cats and need some recommendations. Preferably no corn, no salt, no colourings

XsenseX

Master Member
Reaction score
Wellness Cat is pretty good ... Its slightly on the expensive side thou

xtrname

Reaction score
Hey. Got any affordable yet healthy dried cat food for community cats or not? I'm feeding an awful lots of cats and need some recommendations. Preferably no corn, no salt, no colourings

You can try NutraGold finicky adult. Cheaper among the 'premium' ones. I think 'The Waterdish' carries them. I got it from Polypet at sunset way. Explain to them its for community cats and usually they will give a good discount.

It has no corn or maize. Has some grains but low in the list & proper meat source far as i can tell. Whole grain brown rice is still quite ok as long as not a major ingredient. You shold mix/rotate with other brands for a more balanced diet anyway, supplemented with wet food.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]INGREDIENTS[/FONT]
Chicken (18%), Salmon (18%), Chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, chicken fat, oat flakes, whole grain white rice, potatoes (3%), barley, millet, turkey, duck, linseed, egg derivatives, natural chicken flavour, carrots (1%), peas, apples, kelp, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, taurine, vitamins & minerals.

Solid Gold Indigo Moon seems to be the best on a quality to cost basis. Only slightly more expensive than NutraGold Finicky Adult and completely grain-free. High protein low carb ratio.

Last edited:

Yowzer

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don't think so. But not sure. It's quite competitive in Singapore so i think it could be cheaper here.

snipfer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don't think so. But not sure. It's quite competitive in Singapore so i think it could be cheaper here.

ya agreed. especially branded stuffs cheaper in sg.
it's those cheapo killerfood in huge supermarkets that are cheaper in my.

CatLuVer

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Wat wet can foods recommended for stray cats? Got Aristo cat, Fussie cat, Sumo cat.. etc

I used to feed my area Aristo cat wet can food. Buy recently the cats don seem to like it so currently i switched to Fussie cat wet can food.

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wat wet can foods recommended for stray cats? Got Aristo cat, Fussie cat, Sumo cat.. etc

I used to feed my area Aristo cat wet can food. Buy recently the cats don seem to like it so currently i switched to Fussie cat wet can food.

I would avoid feeding them can food consisting of fish.

Think feathers and ears.

Fish is not a cat's natural prey food unless you count the SEA Fishing Cat. Deep sea fish like tuna are high in heavy metals. Furthermore, the fish in these canned pet food are actually leftovers from over-fishing. To me this is bad. The fish is taken in excess that can't be sold in human markets. Who deprived of this fish then?

The penguins, the seals and the dolphins.

Do you notice that all these brands like Fussie Cat etc don't usually carry a chicken (bird) as the main ingredient. It is shrimp, tuna, sardines, crab. I was looking through the shelves and was saying to myself WTF. I have never known of a crabbing cat or prawn catching cat. :s13:

We have also discussed that fish is very high in calcium in relation to phosphorus. So it does upset the mineral balance in a cat's diet.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.