Effective Way To Clean HSF

mike911

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
this is cool~ :D
thank you for sharing kleozy

will be useful for bros, who wanna clean their hs.
for some hs at least.

Kzhan00b

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling it will get a sticky in "Hardware Clinic Knowledge Base" at most... XD

probably after a week o.o

ghillie

Master Member
Reaction score
nw with tis guide im prolly goina clean the hsf..aft 3 mths ba..n finally save money from buying compressed air Lulx.

hamsap82

Reaction score
awesome :D

coming weekend gona try on my noctua, last i clean it 1 year ago if i remember :s13:

commach

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Thanks KleoZy for this wonderful guide.

Well deserve a place in our treasure cove, thread moved to Knowledge Base.

KouAnKyuuKa

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
maybe should do this step without the last step of putting it to hotwater, detergent and aluminum foil..

the way I see it will be clean off the dirt first.. then follow by using coke.. maybe that will bring back the shine, but I wont advise to do it on nickel black. also side effect.. if this process that we keep doing it.. i affraid it might just bite off more metal, ended up with pot holes on the fins.. lol
Yes.. I did some digging and aluminum + coke + copper mix can produce small amount of voltage... :s13:

hlw8888

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
nice and detailed info.

thks, KleoZy. :)

btw, if the heat pipes are copper or copper coated, this method still workable?

KleoZy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
copper coated not an issue.. as mentioned but dont put aluminum lor cos that will whiten the copper color... as what I have witness .. and guys thanks for the support :D

talktomeplz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi is it possible to clean my HSF using this method?
My HSF is Zalman CPNS 9900 LED

I tried using a wet cloth and wipe the hsf where the dirt sticks and some of the copper actually comes out. I immediately stopped after seeing the stain on my cloth and the heat sink colour becomes abit brighter.

KleoZy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi is it possible to clean my HSF using this method?
My HSF is Zalman CPNS 9900 LED

I tried using a wet cloth and wipe the hsf where the dirt sticks and some of the copper actually comes out. I immediately stopped after seeing the stain on my cloth and the heat sink colour becomes abit brighter.

You can try at your own risk as I am not sure what kind of coating your HSF has. you will need to take out the fan first before you soak your HSF to hot water. on the safe side, the steps on soaking into hot water and aluminum, you can skip that.

talktomeplz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I see thanks for your help in creating this thread and answering my question so fast.
I made a mistake getting a HSF that is build in this way. It looks nice and cool and has great cooling performance due to the research I had done before making the purchase.

However, a bad on my part the I did not consider the difficulty in the maintenance process. The shape of the HSF is round and the fins converges to the center, this cause the dust that is stick at the thin gap near the center impossible to be removed even with an compressed air gun. Hope that this method helps to remove the excess amount of dust that is trapped between the fins near the center of the HSF.

IKillButterflies

Master Member
Reaction score
I bumped into this thread by accident.

With copper or copper-plated heatsinks, if you are able to get your hands on some copper sulphate, you can try using it instead of the aluminium foil. You'd want to wear gloves while doing this though.

It's from an old children's science experiment where you immerse a key in copper sulphate solution where the electrolysis causes the key to become copper-plated. Just might work the same way ;)

joncham72

Reaction score
I have tired on nickel black.. it ends up turning brown intead of black.. but without the use of aluminum foil..

do you think it will work on nickel non-coloured?

need to give my venomous x (nickel coated) a wash already

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.