Wireless IP Camera thread

Java_Guru

Reaction score
I have found that good software (live and playback and motion detection) and storage issues requires 50% of research and troubleshooting time. This includes NVRs and NAS.

Never realised this was so hard to setup properly.

So far, I only use the browser to access the cameras. Haven't tried any of the included software to date. One of my future projects is to look for a software that can connect to the various brands of IP cameras that I have.

Java_Guru

Reaction score
Thanks bro. I thought that was the dubious camera shop at the junction but I'll check again. Can u mention any color or part of shop name to guide me pls.

I use it in my room so its adequate for the coverage but I noticed there's a small drop in quality....its ok to me.

You can get it from a camera shop at the traffic light junction of Peninsula Plaza & Coleman Street. The shop is facing Peninsula Hotel just beside the road. The set comprises of

a) 1 metallic ring which has a sticky tape on one side. You'll need to tear away the sticky tape and stick the ring to front of your camera. In the event you need a better stick then put a few superglue drops between the ring and your camera
b) A wide angle lens. Get a small one as it'll be light on your camera and provide you with the needed coverage. This wide angle lens is magnetic so that it'll magnetize to the metallic ring. It comes with a strap to secure the lens to your camera to prevent it from dropping. If you need a better hold then stick the lens to the metallic ring with a few drops of superglue.

Thats all.

Java_Guru

Reaction score
You can read the softwares I'm using on pg 2 & 3. Important thing is that the software supports all the different brands of cameras you're using

Blueiris was my first choice too for DIY before I noticed there are acutally a lot and several claim support of dlink. Many brands. Quite the mind boggling but acutal experience is important because buy but don't work makes your ip camera an expensive paper weight.

At the moment I am planning for a mixed Dlink and Panasonic (more camera per $) environment. Jiaying is panasonic distributor and runs promotions from time to time which I am monitoring.

U got a dlink dome ip cam? working well for u?

davpiyo

Reaction score
When you plug in the ethernet cable you're running on wired connection. When you unplug the ethernet cable and your 2121 turns red it means your wireless setting is incorrect lah.....unless you've a faulty cam.

Why not call up DLINK and they'll guide you through the setup procedure like what I had done

:s8:

TQ :D

I will call them.

So if I got the setting right mean after I unplug the ethernet cable it will stay green?

:D

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
TQ :D

I will call them.

So if I got the setting right mean after I unplug the ethernet cable it will stay green?

Yes, unless you are using WNDR3700 router, in which case, you can't run wireless and enable encryption. That's the reason why I am not using the WNDR3700, even though it is "better" than my DIR-655 and WZR-HP-G300NH. The WNDR3700 does not place nice with the Dlink 6620G and the LevelOne WCS2040, and I don't want to run wireless IP without encryption (anyone would be able to view the camera).

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
I have found that good software (live and playback and motion detection) and storage issues requires 50% of research and troubleshooting time. This includes NVRs and NAS.

Never realised this was so hard to setup properly.

Thanks for the heads up. When I am able to free up one of my NAS (QNAP), I may start looking at software that records directly to NAS.

For the wide-angle attachment, you will see degration not so much of image quality (if the lens is well made), but in the f-stop. I think you probably lose one or two f-stop if you have a wide-angle attachment. If your camera doesn't perform well in low light, it will be further affected by the attachment.

I think I might just get one and try next time I am around Peninsular Plaza.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RE

Thanks bro. I thought that was the dubious camera shop at the junction but I'll check again. Can u mention any color or part of shop name to guide me pls.

I would think so because it costs me $130. Imagine you can bargain from $180 to $130. Anyway I went to many shops and couldn't find what I wanted so boh pian kena chop carrot...what to do?

The next time I'll just buy such lens from other shop. As for the ring it's just a thin plain metallic washer which I can get easily from my work place. Pay for first time experience mah

As for the name of the shop I'll post later when I pass by today....ok the name of the shop is Worldwide Cameras Centre

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RE

Blueiris was my first choice too for DIY before I noticed there are acutally a lot and several claim support of dlink. Many brands. Quite the mind boggling but acutal experience is important because buy but don't work makes your ip camera an expensive paper weight.

At the moment I am planning for a mixed Dlink and Panasonic (more camera per $) environment. Jiaying is panasonic distributor and runs promotions from time to time which I am monitoring.

U got a dlink dome ip cam? working well for u?

You can always try the software out before buying

Nope, my DLINK models are 6620G, 2121, 2120G & 2100G. Actually, if your model is NOT on their compatible list you can email them with your camera ip address and they can do live testing for you. After tested successfully they'll update their compatible list.

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RE

Regarding the wide-angle lens. Its hanging from the camera when I checked this morning. Lucky for the strap.

The glue on the ring is just not strong enough to take the weight of the lens. So the advise is to put a few drops of superglue between the ring and the camera i.e. glue that damn ring to the camera.

The lens I bought is the VITACON (made in Japan) Digital M-Power Wide Lens 0.45X.

:yawn:

Last edited:

davpiyo

Reaction score
Yes, unless you are using WNDR3700 router, in which case, you can't run wireless and enable encryption. That's the reason why I am not using the WNDR3700, even though it is "better" than my DIR-655 and WZR-HP-G300NH. The WNDR3700 does not place nice with the Dlink 6620G and the LevelOne WCS2040, and I don't want to run wireless IP without encryption (anyone would be able to view the camera).

I'm using the Aztech WL830RT4 4-Port Wireless-G Router.

I don't can run wireless and enable encryption or not.

tsammyc

Reaction score
Hi all,
I bought 2 DCS 2121 at Sitex for just $149 each. Updated to firmware 1.05 and everything works well with port forwarding on my Buffalo router, which is connected to my Mio router. Even works nicely with iPhone & iPad over 3G.

However, I can't figure out how to get it to save video (it says can save to a SAMBA server) onto my Buffalo Linkstation Quad NAS. The name of my linkstation is the LS-QL2 and the directory I want to store them in is /SHARE/IPCam. So I enable "Samba network drive", leave Samba Auth on anonymous (there are no restricted accounts on Quad) and under Server, I put "LS-QL2" and under Shared Folder, I put "//LS-QL2/SHARE/IPCam". Whenever, I hit the test button, it fails. Can someone give me a concrete example of a configuration that worked?

The other problem I have is that after about a day, the DCS2121 simply loses wireless connection to the router and the green light turns to a red light. I have to power off and on to get it to work again. Do I have a defective unit? I haven't tried the 2nd one so I may see if it is a problem there as well. Otherwise, I will have to put a timer that turns it off an on around once a day!

Am thinking of getting an infrared pan/scan camera like Dr Archer's to monitor the outside, but $1.1K is a bit steep for me. Is the SMCWIPCAM still much better value for money? Also, if mounted outside and potentially in the rain, what solutions are there in terms of waterproof housings in Singapore? Has anyone actually mounted one of these IPCAMs in a weatherproof housing and where did they get it from? SLS?

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RE

Hi all,
I bought 2 DCS 2121 at Sitex for just $149 each. Updated to firmware 1.05 and everything works well with port forwarding on my Buffalo router, which is connected to my Mio router. Even works nicely with iPhone & iPad over 3G.

However, I can't figure out how to get it to save video (it says can save to a SAMBA server) onto my Buffalo Linkstation Quad NAS. The name of my linkstation is the LS-QL2 and the directory I want to store them in is /SHARE/IPCam. So I enable "Samba network drive", leave Samba Auth on anonymous (there are no restricted accounts on Quad) and under Server, I put "LS-QL2" and under Shared Folder, I put "//LS-QL2/SHARE/IPCam". Whenever, I hit the test button, it fails. Can someone give me a concrete example of a configuration that worked?

The other problem I have is that after about a day, the DCS2121 simply loses wireless connection to the router and the green light turns to a red light. I have to power off and on to get it to work again. Do I have a defective unit? I haven't tried the 2nd one so I may see if it is a problem there as well. Otherwise, I will have to put a timer that turns it off an on around once a day!

Am thinking of getting an infrared pan/scan camera like Dr Archer's to monitor the outside, but $1.1K is a bit steep for me. Is the SMCWIPCAM still much better value for money? Also, if mounted outside and potentially in the rain, what solutions are there in terms of waterproof housings in Singapore? Has anyone actually mounted one of these IPCAMs in a weatherproof housing and where did they get it from? SLS?

So far my 2121 is working well. FI, I'm using the default firmware not the latest. Sometimes latest firmware can give new problem. If your device works perfectly with the current firmware then don't update. Updating is only done if you're currently facing problem in the hope that the new firmware can solve your current problem.

Last edited:

tsammyc

Reaction score
apparatus,the problems existed with previous 1.04 firmware as well.

BTW, I think you configured a NAS with your DCS2121. Can you tell me what NAS you used and what you put into the Server and Shared Folder fields exactly and how they related to your NAS name?

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RE

apparatus,the problems existed with previous 1.04 firmware as well.

BTW, I think you configured a NAS with your DCS2121. Can you tell me what NAS you used and what you put into the Server and Shared Folder fields exactly and how they related to your NAS name?

FI, I don't have a NAS. My older model cameras all cannot record directly to the NAS without turning on the PC. Some newer DLINK cameras (like the 2121) can record directly to the NAS without the need to turn on the PC.

I'm getting the DLINK DNS 726-4 dvr this afternoon to solve the recording problem with my current older model cameras.

Every device - ip cameras, router, modem and the coming dvr - is DLINK brand. DLINK NAS.......later later :D

Last edited:

Java_Guru

Reaction score
Hi bro, how much the DVR and pls do review. I also comtemplating but I had hoped to centralise all my 24/7 devices into one custom built machine. save electricity mah.

FI, I don't have a NAS. My older model cameras all cannot record directly to the NAS without turning on the PC. Some newer DLINK cameras (like the 2121) can record directly to the NAS without the need to turn on the PC.

I'm getting the DLINK DNS 726-4 dvr this afternoon to solve the recording problem with my current older model cameras.

Every device - ip cameras, router, modem and the coming dvr - is DLINK brand. DLINK NAS.......later later :D

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RE

Hi bro, how much the DVR and pls do review. I also comtemplating but I had hoped to centralise all my 24/7 devices into one custom built machine. save electricity mah.

I ordered from SITEX so its slightly cheaper at $813.2 (w GST). If I'm not wrong the retail price is $999. I also added a WD 2TB AV (audio video) hdd separately.

As I mentioned a NAS can doubles as a DVR but NOT vice versa. However, I think the DVR has more av management features than the NAS, right?

So if you need an integrated device then get a NAS and ensure all your ip cams can record directly to it without the need to turn on your PC. Only the newer ip cams can do this.

Make sure all your devices are GREEN i.e. power saving

Review later...I've not even setup the dvr

Last edited:

tsammyc

Reaction score

Seem to have found the problem. One day I noticed that both DCS2121 stopped working at the exact same time, so I concluded that it has something to do with the wireless network. Seems to be that if you use WPA2 AES, they will hang after a few hours. Switched them to WEP on another wireless access point and so far they are going strong for 2 days now.

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
Seem to have found the problem. One day I noticed that both DCS2121 stopped working at the exact same time, so I concluded that it has something to do with the wireless network. Seems to be that if you use WPA2 AES, they will hang after a few hours. Switched them to WEP on another wireless access point and so far they are going strong for 2 days now.

Could this be the router issue rather than the camera issue then? It sounds like the router's WPA2 encryption is giving problem.

CaptainKarma

Reaction score
SMCWIPCAM Syncing with MIO 2WIRE MODEM / Remote access ?

Hi Dr Archer,

Loved the input you have provided thus far. Just bought the SMC's SMCWIPCAM E Connet yesterday and tried it out.I have twin 4 month old daughters who are left with the maid.I have it working and can only view it through the browser.

Here are my queries :

1) As you already know , one can only view the recorded footage through the browser , however , the recording time laps out after half an hour. I have it hooked up to my laptp with a 640 GB hard drive. How do i increase this 30min period to say 12 hours ?

2) At the side of the cam is a USB port. The manual is not clear about what its function is. Are we able to record directly to an external hard drive via this USB port?

I have yet to comprehend the other technical details and how to sync the cam / my MIO 2WIRE Modem to watch the footage remotely.

This is it for now.

br,Terence

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Dr Archer,

Loved the input you have provided thus far. Just bought the SMC's SMCWIPCAM E Connet yesterday and tried it out.I have twin 4 month old daughters who are left with the maid.I have it working and can only view it through the browser.

Here are my queries :

1) As you already know , one can only view the recorded footage through the browser , however , the recording time laps out after half an hour. I have it hooked up to my laptp with a 640 GB hard drive. How do i increase this 30min period to say 12 hours ?

2) At the side of the cam is a USB port. The manual is not clear about what its function is. Are we able to record directly to an external hard drive via this USB port?

I have yet to comprehend the other technical details and how to sync the cam / my MIO 2WIRE Modem to watch the footage remotely.

This is it for now.

br,Terence

Hi Terence

So far, I haven't tried recording to file (either hard disk or NAS or USB stick), so not really sure of the function. To date, I have been using the browser to view the camera remotely rather than the stored images/video.

But looking around the camera set-up, I see a Event Config function. My guess is that you can probably use the Event Config to configure multiple recordings. The recording time seems to be limited to 2-digit i.e. maximum is 99 minutes (not sure if it will record 99 minutes or only 30 minutes though). Now if you set up many 30-minute recording sessions, you can probably have several files of 30-minute videos.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.