US help.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
chinatown bus? so guessing the bus departs from chinatown ya?

thanks alot man.

btw, for the white house tour, just write in to the us embassay...in singapore? have you been on the tour before?

I have ride the chinatown bus. I when travel to Niagara from NYC I took Amtrak. There used to have Northeast coast pass. unlimited rides, now they have this segment thing going on not so worth it.

white house tour, get the info below. I been to DC 3X but didn't get on the tour. count me unlucky. 1st time no pass required but the queue was so long was there a 6am, they only allow so many ppl to go in 1 day. 2nd time not long after 911 forget that. 3rd time they impose a min group of 10 to tour. now U are in luck no min group req.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/tours-and-events

Last edited:

devilish_me

Reaction score
Btw, anyone sat China Eastern? Sing to New York with stopover in Shanghai.

yup...me. it was alright...decent legroom. no personal entertainment set though. only a big screen TV at the front of each plane segment. usually, many passengers are from china. not the most comfortable flights on china eastern but can't beat that kind of airfare. so i'm not complaining.

devilish_me

Reaction score
if you're planning to do boston too without a car...you can take the fung wah bus https://www.fungwahbus.com/Default.aspx from NYC to Boston....really cheap at USD15 per 1-way (but please note luggage restriction if you aren't traveling light). it's quite convenient and the bus departs every hour. takes you about 4hours to reach boston chinatown from NYC.

it's quite a madness to drive in NYC and Boston but not impossible. last time we got around the 2 cities with just a paper map. these days we rely on GPS....still can be quite crazy (i.e. GPS signals might be lost in the tunnels, turnpike exits can be confusing, road conditions change etc.) but much easier than paper maps i'd say! for GPS....get one with lane guidance...very useful for city driving!

parking is much harder than in small cities/suburbs...so you'll need to plan in advance where to park, research for cheap parking garages (there are some discount coupons that you might be able to print online for better rates), some garages are cheap but require advanced online booking to get in. there are free roadside parking in NYC and Boston but you'll need to know the rules of parking...and usually, hard like hell to find free lots!! if it's still snowing in march then even more chaotic....'cos the curbside parking rules might change as need to shovel.

but driving can be fun la....especially in USA. if you are driving...you can do a triangular drive from NYC to Buffalo (niagara falls) through upstate NY (finger lakes region) and then across to boston and then back to NYC via the coastal route (through rhode island/connecticut etc). but not sure if you've sufficient time to do that though in 15days. NYC is nice...if you are into museums/theatres/musicals/galleries....you can easily spend a good 1-2weeks there without feeling bored. so all depends on how you like to travel.

one problem with new england travel is that the weather can be hard to predict. so you can plan your itinerary to a T...and then the weather changes and you'll have to re-plan again. so don't try to pack too much....otherwise you might be disappointed when you get lousy weather. always have some indoor options available for bad weather scenarios. we do still get snow in march sometimes even april. always watch the weather channel for updates so that you aren't caught off guard. and always be prepared (another reason why driving is good too then you can throw all your thick sweaters/mittens/hats in the back seat/boot just in case).

if you are driving....please arm yourself with LOADS and LOADS of quarters for the parking meters.

if you are a big shopper....the outlet malls here will drive you crazy. be prepared to spend a full day at one outlet. also, before you head out for shopping....always check online for any shopping coupons that you can print. sometimes, you can find coupons for outlet shopping i.e. coach etc. so you might be able to enjoy further 10-25% off the already low outlet prices. be aware that there are buying quotas at some of the branded bag boutiques i.e. LV, coach etc. so always ask first before you start filling up your shopping bag/cart.

have fun!!

side note: i'll be doing a roadtrip myself from southern MA to miami (& back) after xmas....if you are considering to visit washington DC etc...i shld be able to update you with more info after my trip. wish me luck and wish me good weather!

Last edited:

Erwinlow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
devilish_me: Wow thanks thanks thanks for the detailed info. Honestly, I'm reconsidering my option to visit the west side(LA, Seattle etc) instead of the East(NYC).

In late march-april, its still pretty cold in NYC and I'm somewhat afraid the stores might be selling summer clothing and stuff. And from LA I can even travel all the way up north to even vancouver? Still thinking about this. ;/

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
travelling west coast, U do need a car unlike northeast.

2 week trip wanna cover CA to Vancouver is tight.

U might wanna see
- San Siego
- LA
- Las vegas
- Grand Canyon
- SF
- the coast to Portland oregon
- Portland area, very scenic
- Seattle
- Vancouver
- Victoria island
- Napa valley
- Sedona/Antelope Canyon
- Lake tahoe
- Yosemite

i have done 10 days from SF to Vancouver and back.
shopping CA is the best.

I would cover CA, AZ and vegas in the limited amount of time.

devilish_me

Reaction score
devilish_me: Wow thanks thanks thanks for the detailed info. Honestly, I'm reconsidering my option to visit the west side(LA, Seattle etc) instead of the East(NYC).

In late march-april, its still pretty cold in NYC and I'm somewhat afraid the stores might be selling summer clothing and stuff. And from LA I can even travel all the way up north to even vancouver? Still thinking about this. ;/

no prob....west coast is fun too. particularly love the oregon coastal drive. and it'd probably not be as cold as over our side....although my friends on the west coast were complaining of cold weather around thanksgiving while we were surprisingly warm and toasty in the northeast. the weather is unpredictable these days....just make sure you do pack some warm clothings even if you are headed west. many many fun things to do in the west coast too....patryns will have good suggestions for you.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@ devilish_me going for a long road trip! MA to Miami.
I nearly went on a trip from chicago to New orleans.
but now I am flying to New Mexico.

devilish_me

Reaction score
@ devilish_me going for a long road trip! MA to Miami.
I nearly went on a trip from chicago to New orleans.
but now I am flying to New Mexico.

ya la....flying is so much easier but we got a lot of time to spare =:p

am doing research on philly now....looks like quite a lot of stuffs to do!

any suggestions of great places to stop/spend a couple of nights between southern massachusetts to miami? don't think we want to stop in rhode island, connecticut and new york though.

thinking of spending some time in philly, baltimore, washington DC...and then not so sure where to stop between DC to miami. i welcome any suggestions.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
iirc in DC this place serve great seafood at 50% off after 11pm.
http://www.ebbitt.com/main/home.cfm?Section=Main&Category=Menus

I really envy U, how u find so much time to burn! U going for a mth of vacation?

U could try Myrtle beach in SC, my buddy went there and they enjoyed it. not sure what to do there. can see some parks
eg
Fort Sumter National Monument
Charles Pinckney National Historic Site

and certainly Savannah, GA!!
http://savannahvisit.com/

devilish_me

Reaction score
iirc in DC this place serve great seafood at 50% off after 11pm.
http://www.ebbitt.com/main/home.cfm?Section=Main&Category=Menus

I really envy U, how u find so much time to burn! U going for a mth of vacation?

U could try Myrtle beach in SC, my buddy went there and they enjoyed it. not sure what to do there. can see some parks
eg
Fort Sumter National Monument
Charles Pinckney National Historic Site

and certainly Savannah, GA!!
http://savannahvisit.com/

thanks for the suggestions! ya...i've heard that myrtle beach is quite a popular tourist destination.

i don't work due to my visa status...& my spouse's vacation is from now till end Feb. we figured no point sitting around at home and freezing our asses off.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
U are on H4?
wow, super long vacation... really make me curious what is his profession.

Erwinlow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys. :)

Anyway, still deciding on whether to tour the east or west. More keen on the east side but I'm afraid when I go from 28-14apr(+- afew days), they wont have summer clothing in the stores?

devilish_me

Reaction score
U are on H4?
wow, super long vacation... really make me curious what is his profession.

yup...me on H4.
actually..his vacation periods are from mid Dec - end Feb and mid Jun - end Aug....and those are excluding his leave days. i'm sure you can guess what's the profession now...seeing that the periods coincide with the....SCHOOL VACATIONS! :s13: we'd usually go back to SGP during summer.

devilish_me

Reaction score

Anyway, still deciding on whether to tour the east or west. More keen on the east side but I'm afraid when I go from 28-14apr(+- afew days), they wont have summer clothing in the stores?

hmmm.....i think around mid-march you should start to see the spring fashion already. if you want very inexpensive summer clothing...you shld've visited in fall =:p 'cos the prices are usually slashed like mad after the season.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yup...me on H4.
actually..his vacation periods are from mid Dec - end Feb and mid Jun - end Aug....and those are excluding his leave days. i'm sure you can guess what's the profession now...seeing that the periods coincide with the....SCHOOL VACATIONS! :s13: we'd usually go back to SGP during summer.

sorry to digress TS
applying your greencard? with a Phd only 1 yr to get it approve!

@TS
spring clothing is still too warm for SG. just come out winter stuff are on sale!

devilish_me

Reaction score
sorry to digress TS
applying your greencard? with a Phd only 1 yr to get it approve!

hmmmm....not so sure yet. i thot greencard takes more time? according to some other people, they've been telling us that it'd take at least 5+years? anyway....my spouse is a SPR....if get greencard...can still hold on to SPR? anyway...what are the benefits of getting a greencard? i haven't started reading up on the naturalization requirements/procedures.

devilish_me

Reaction score

actually 'cos these days people tend to layer instead of put on SUPER thick winter clothings...you'd still be able to find regular tshirts/shirts/blouses/dresses and stuffs.

and anyway....SGP's malls/cinemas/lecture theatres are freezing cold these days....so you might find those lightweight hoodies, cardigans very useful back home.

and then of course you have the ALL SEASON items like bags, shoes and sunglasses......so i really don't think your shopping will be that badly affected by the season/weather.....be it on east or west coasts.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hmmmm....not so sure yet. i thot greencard takes more time? according to some other people, they've been telling us that it'd take at least 5+years? anyway....my spouse is a SPR....if get greencard...can still hold on to SPR? anyway...what are the benefits of getting a greencard? i haven't started reading up on the naturalization requirements/procedures.

SPR - Singaporean PR?
U can hold on to SG PR even U get your greencard. it is not like U are becoming citizen.
US allow duo citizenship. SG do not allow duo citizenship.

who are the they?

depending on education level greencard can take very short time.
with a Phd (non PRC or Indian) usually takes 1yr+.
PRC or Indian takes longer still its like 2yrs.

those without US masters would required 5yrs of working experience and meet min salary requirement or bach and 10yrs of experience and min salary requirement. with that takes around 2yrs for non PRC or Indian. for them I heard ~5yrs.

others takes around 8-10yrs.

benefits of greencard, can claim social security when the time comes even U stay outside USA. can claim unemployment benefits if U are btw jobs. Can find job easily and demand higher $$, most companies today don't want to sponsor H1 so for one to find job most ppl ask for lesser money.
even on work VISA your spouse is paying social security tax and unemployment insurance. don't need VISA to come in and out of USA. H1 VISA only have 6yr limit.

issue is cost, paper work may cost US$4-5K but legal fees may cost US$4-20k depending on lawyer. company may get U to pay these fees.

Last edited:

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
actually 'cos these days people tend to layer instead of put on SUPER thick winter clothings...you'd still be able to find regular tshirts/shirts/blouses/dresses and stuffs.

and anyway....SGP's malls/cinemas/lecture theatres are freezing cold these days....so you might find those lightweight hoodies, cardigans very useful back home.

and then of course you have the ALL SEASON items like bags, shoes and sunglasses......so i really don't think your shopping will be that badly affected by the season/weather.....be it on east or west coasts.

U are right, no one wear 1 layer. it would be super cold even it is super thick!
just that these regular stuff will not be on steep discount.

looking for US$30 timberland boots or < US$20 polo tee or shirts from RL will be hard.
don't mind paying more that would be fine.

devilish_me

Reaction score
i think even at the regular outlet prices....might still be cheaper than in SGP....so most SGPoreans won't mind paying.

i don't shop much at the outlets...instead i shop a lot at TJMaxx and Marshall over my side....always can find cheap and good (branded) stuffs (i.e. clothings/shoes/bags/sunglasses/cooking utensils) regardless of season. and in my opinion....at much better prices than at the outlets.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.