US help.

Erwinlow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
by home goods she also mean sheets. U can find RL or tommy sheets very cheap.

how many days U staying in NYC and Orlando? skipping Philly, Boston, DC, Niagara?
iirc there is a Tag Heuer outlet in NYC and Orlando, on a good day all items 50% off.

what is your budget for lodging a day?
Will visit DC too. Will try to write in for the white house tour... Yet to read up on DC. Any other thing worth visiting?

Niagara..may or may not visit it as alot of websites says the maid of the mist only starts operation in may. and some say april.

Boston and Philly not decided yet too...are they worth a visit or am I better off exploring new york?

Uhh. There'll be 4 person. Not sure if it is possible to squeeze 4 in a room with twin bed? If yes, about $200-300+? Don't really have an exact budget...

thanks for your help. :)

Xeon_sg

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Travelling to the US in mid-march. Planning to visit Orlando, New York etc etc. Haven't really decided on which city to go too.

Initially planned on going to vegas, california etc but they're a tad too far away. 5 hours flight from NY to Vegas?

What are some good travel sites that I can use to help plan my accomodation and itenary?

Any must visit places in ny/orlando/other cities. Like factory outelts, warehouse stores etc?

Thanks!

Hi Erwinlow, would you mind sharing some of the interesting itineraries for NYC? I'm planning to drop by there during my next trip's R&R.

Erwinlow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Erwinlow, would you mind sharing some of the interesting itineraries for NYC? I'm planning to drop by there during my next trip's R&R.

what is R&R? I'm in the midst of planning too lol...you're better off asking the other people here

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Will visit DC too. Will try to write in for the white house tour... Yet to read up on DC. Any other thing worth visiting?

Niagara..may or may not visit it as alot of websites says the maid of the mist only starts operation in may. and some say april.

Boston and Philly not decided yet too...are they worth a visit or am I better off exploring new york?

Uhh. There'll be 4 person. Not sure if it is possible to squeeze 4 in a room with twin bed? If yes, about $200-300+? Don't really have an exact budget...

Ok I'm biased but you should stop by Philly for the great cheesesteaks and the touristy liberty bell. :s13: Or drop by my alma mater for its rich history :o

SpinFire

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2010 - the ride starts in Apr.
http://www.maidofthemist.com/en/

take the chinatown bus to Buffalo which cost US$50 1 way.
rent a car in Buffalo to get around Niagara and return. In Mar U should be able to find some very good bed and Breakfast rates.

U could do the tour its cheap at just US$112 per pax. missed out all the fine winery tour. eg
inniskillin
http://www.gotobus.com/us/newyorkny...iagarafalls_thousandislands_tour_855-176.html

Woah, Gotobus.com is just what I need. Probably going to get the 1-day NYC tour. I'll be going to NY for about 3 days in Jan 2011 before heading to Orlando. Hope to get great post-holiday season sales :D

Erwinlow: The CityPass deal looks great

Anyway, will it be freezing cold in NYC during the 1st week of Jan? How thick a winter coat should I get? Will it be cheaper to buy it there?

Last edited:

Erwinlow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Woah, Gotobus.com is just what I need. Probably going to get the 1-day NYC tour. I'll be going to NY for about 3 days in Jan 2011 before heading to Orlando. Hope to get great post-holiday season sales :D

Anyway, will it be freezing cold in NYC during the 1st week of Jan? How thick a winter coat should I get? Will it be cheaper to buy it there?

From new york to orlando...domestic flight right?

Dont mind sharing with me your itinerary in ny and orlando too? As will be visiting these 2 places + DC...tentatively. :s8:

devilish_me

Reaction score
usually each city/state will have their official tourism websites. those are good sites to check out first...just google and you'll be able to find them easily.

for example....

http://www.nycgo.com/

http://www.orlandoinfo.com/

http://www.visitphilly.com/

http://www.independencevisitorcenter.com/explore-philadelphia

once you've a rough idea what you wanna see/do....then go google those specific attractions. the big/popular attractions usually will have their own websites too which'll provide the essential visiting info like hours, parking, how to get there, ticket prices etc.

the new york city pass is good to have if you have already decided to visit some of those places. don't buy it and then make yourself visit those attractions even though you've no interest just to get your money worth.

when you are in NYC...you might wanna go to woodsbury premium outlet? that could take a day 'cos it ain't exactly very near.

devilish_me

Reaction score

i think you can forget about boston la 'cos quite out of the way (you've to go up north and then back down again since you are heading to orlando). your time might be better spent in NYC, PA, DC. if you are skipping niagara falls....can consider the Great Falls near DC if you are going to DC. it's different from niagara but still nice.

new york city accommodation is ex. you might want to consider staying out of manhattan (i.e. new jersey?) if you can't find anything within your price range...and don't wanna compromise on quality of accommodation.

philly and DC a lot of nice museums/galleries!!

devilish_me

Reaction score
by home goods she also mean sheets. U can find RL or tommy sheets very cheap.

you can read my mind!!! :s13: i'm the sort who'd buy/lug bedsheets home in my suitcase when i travel. but seriously...some of those bedsheet sets at tjmaxx....500+hreadcounts egpytian cotton sheets would easily cost over SGD500 in SG! but not everyone will buy bedsheets and pots/pans home when travelling la....hahahaha

SpinFire

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From new york to orlando...domestic flight right?

Dont mind sharing with me your itinerary in ny and orlando too? As will be visiting these 2 places + DC...tentatively. :s8:

I'm still planning my itinerary in NYC, but can't really do much as it's only a few days. Probably one day for the day-tour, one day for shopping around the city, then last day for museums and central park? If you need cheap accommodation, check out clickbed.com

I'll be going to Orlando for studies, so no itinerary there. :o

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok I'm biased but you should stop by Philly for the great cheesesteaks and the touristy liberty bell. :s13: Or drop by my alma mater for its rich history :o

so many uni in philly..
Temple - 1884
Drexel - 1891
UPenn - oldest.... Upenn I guess?
what to see may U suggest?

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

it will be freezing cold in NYC for sure. most under to be around 0C, with windchill it feels alot colder.

if sales is weak, U may catch the same sales going on today in Jan to Feb.

devilish_me

Reaction score

yeah...need some help for philly itinerary please.

so far, i've identified the following:

Independence visitor center (pick up brochures/get tickets)
Independence hall
Liberty bell
NCC
The Franklin Institute - Cleopatra exhibition
Longwood Gardens (festive displays)
Old City
Reading Terminal Market
Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts
Philadelphia Museum of Art
UPenn Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology
Blue Cross RiverRink (ice skating)
McGillin's Old Ale House (beer)
Philadelphia Brewing Co. (beer)
Pat's (food)
Naked Chocolate Cafe (food)
The Shops at Liberty Place (shopping)

what do you think of them?

obviously i can't do everything....i'll most prob be in philly for 2-3 nights. willing to extend for another couple of days if absolutely fun

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm still planning my itinerary in NYC, but can't really do much as it's only a few days. Probably one day for the day-tour, one day for shopping around the city, then last day for museums and central park?

the sun sets real early, u don't want to walk in central park when it is getting dark.

going to Gainesville? not too far away from Orlando too. Can easily do spring break there.
There are just so many museums in NYC. 1 day isn't enough to more than 1.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Maid of the mist just goes near to the falls and U get the chance to get wet. the journey behind the falls is another great attraction that is open all yr round. I wouldn't miss niagara falls even the Maid of the Mist isn't operational. Ask yourself how likely will U go to that part of the world again?

I have to say the best thing happening in Jan there is the ice wine festival that is happening on 14 Jan to 30 Jan. I been there 1 yr and had always hope to return again.
http://www.icewinefestival.com/page/icewine_home

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so many uni in philly..
Temple - 1884
Drexel - 1891
UPenn - oldest.... Upenn I guess?
what to see may U suggest?

Yep UPenn. There's Franklin Mills (discount store :s13:), the cheesy liberty bell (with horse rides), great Singapore/Malaysian food near Racecourse and 10th, philly zoo (oldest zoo in the US, but not very fantastic imho), tons of museums (but not really my cup of tea). In short, 2 days should be enough unless you like museums. :o

devilish_me

Reaction score
the sun sets real early, u don't want to walk in central park when it is getting dark.

going to Gainesville? not too far away from Orlando too. Can easily do spring break there.
There are just so many museums in NYC. 1 day isn't enough to more than 1.

it's true...no way you can do one NYC museum properly in just a couple of hours. some museums would take you dayS to complete really.

not watching any musicals in NYC? that's also a nice experience.

i was in NYC for a week in my last trip...and i still didn't feel like i've done all that i wanna do :p

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
u can easily burn a week in nyc for sure.
those going orlando, Disney fanatic can spend 5 days on just disneyworld

Erwinlow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i think you can forget about boston la 'cos quite out of the way (you've to go up north and then back down again since you are heading to orlando). your time might be better spent in NYC, PA, DC. if you are skipping niagara falls....can consider the Great Falls near DC if you are going to DC. it's different from niagara but still nice.

new york city accommodation is ex. you might want to consider staying out of manhattan (i.e. new jersey?) if you can't find anything within your price range...and don't wanna compromise on quality of accommodation.

philly and DC a lot of nice museums/galleries!!
Ahh. Grr I'm so fickle-minded. Discussed a bit with my father earlier. I'm not too sure if we're still going to Orlando? If I were to skip universal studios and the disney world in orlando...will orlando still be worth a visit? ny-orlando return air tickets cost about $250 sing.

If the maid of the mist is operational in april, we will visit the niagara falls. :)

would it be convenient to stay at like the outskirts of ny then? will it be convenient to go to the city area of new york itself? so...I can start looking at hotels in new jersey right? what about brooklyn?

thanks man. appreciate all of your help.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.