Lastest S$ Deposit updates - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

3dfxplayer

Reaction score
If you look at charges, ETF is a low cost fund. Good for short term but mid to long term wise, unit trusts can easily outperform them.

It depends on which ETF you are talking about. Most mutual funds or unit trusts underperform the index in the long run, so most investors will actually do better by investing in an index ETF.

mosmos

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
new promo for opening isavvy accounts~ :o

http://info.maybank2u.com.sg/personal/promo/isavvy-suite-cash-rewards.aspx

Today110115MaybankiSAVvy.jpg

oohman

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It depends on which ETF you are talking about. Most mutual funds or unit trusts underperform the index in the long run, so most investors will actually do better by investing in an index ETF.

but there are pple who "look down" on mutual finds / unit trust. They recommend ETF instead, which is like rocket science to me

It's like that.

Those ppl worship ETF like a holy grail although unit trusts can easily outperform ETF over a 5 year period.

Is there a Sinkie site, where you can read about the diff betwn these 2 types of diff investments. (ETFs and Unit Trusts) and compare and contrast of the diff banks offering either of these...

Cashcow

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is there a Sinkie site, where you can read about the diff betwn these 2 types of diff investments. (ETFs and Unit Trusts) and compare and contrast of the diff banks offering either of these...

Do you have last week Sunday's times?

There is a section where they compare ETF and unit trusts.

linusz

Master Member
Reaction score
capital land reit closing tomorrow.
anyone getting it? 1 yr or 3 yr?

any equivalent/close option for 2% interest rate for 3 yrs or so?

zippo1979

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
capital land reit closing tomorrow.
anyone getting it? 1 yr or 3 yr?

any equivalent/close option for 2% interest rate for 3 yrs or so?

it's not capitaland reit..

it's CAPITALMALLASIA RETAIL BONDS.

there is a guocoland 3 year SGD bond that pays 4% p.a., but the risk profile is very different from capitalmallasia.

although i note both bonds are unrated.

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Those above 55 years who meet the min sum including medisave, should put money into their CPF account instead of such lousy fixed deposits paying miserable rates.

The deposit will go into their OA which pays 2.5% pa and can be withdrawn anytime once a year and definitely much more secured than FDs.

mosmos

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
SBI branch promo again~! Free $10 voucher for opening savings account~!

SBI110117Promo.jpg

tan1688

Reaction score
Hutchinson Whampoa listing

Hutchinson Whampoa listing its South China and HK port operations
IPO as a trust (S$6billion Largest in South East Asia) in Singapore.

Wait for that, probably after March/April, the dividend returns might
be better than banks or CapitaMalls 1-2%.

martin

Reaction score
I want to take advantage of the weak USD now and convert some SGD to USD, place them in 2-3 years USD FD and later use this money for my son's education in the US. So, besides, SBI and ICICI anywhere else offers good rates for USD FD now?

mosmos

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
I want to take advantage of the weak USD now and convert some SGD to USD, place them in 2-3 years USD FD and later use this money for my son's education in the US. So, besides, SBI and ICICI anywhere else offers good rates for USD FD now?

:s11: have you check with those banks, you can withdraw USD$ note upon maturity without any exchange rate comission charges?

martin

Reaction score
:s11: have you check with those banks, you can withdraw USD$ note upon maturity without any exchange rate comission charges?

gd point. that is important. will check first before committing. thks.

so, mosmos, besides SBI & ICICI, any other banks you know of with good rates for USD FD?

mosmos

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
gd point. that is important. will check first before committing. thks.

so, mosmos, besides SBI & ICICI, any other banks you know of with good rates for USD FD?
USD$ FD interest rates are quite low, I am not sure after the exchange rate charges, how much total you can get back. :s22:

My experience with OCBC FCFD, if you want to deposit in USD$ notes, they will charge you 1% fee, same for withdrawing in USD$ notes, hence 2% gone.

Else if you deposit using SGD$, they will convert to USD$ (no charges) according to their lousy board exchange rates. :(

martin

Reaction score
agree. normally i won't consider foreign currency fd precisely because of the reasons you mentioned.

But for my case now, i also want to lock in the exchange rate now and keep the USD before, who knows, the rate might go up again.

kyma

Master Member
Reaction score
I expect it to go up later, as Obama wanted to be re-elected again. ;) How about buying US bluechip stocks? Are Singaporeans allowed to buy US stocks? Since bluechip stocks are very strong stocks (that is why they are called bluechip!), I assumed that they will appreciate over time.

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
agree. normally i won't consider foreign currency fd precisely because of the reasons you mentioned.

But for my case now, i also want to lock in the exchange rate now and keep the USD before, who knows, the rate might go up again.

I know.

In the long term I dare say or bet that USD will drop.

pfeiffer

Reaction score
Zippo,

Regarding the Guocoland bond that you were mentioning, when was that issued?

Thanks.

it's not capitaland reit..

it's CAPITALMALLASIA RETAIL BONDS.

there is a guocoland 3 year SGD bond that pays 4% p.a., but the risk profile is very different from capitalmallasia.

although i note both bonds are unrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.