Aztech WL556E: No internet Access Prob

liangtam

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all, basically the problem is I have excellent network connection and have IP addresses . I am using M1 fibre 100mbps and the HG router. My network status show an excellent connection of 130mbps (which I dun understand abit cos when I test using Speedtest, I only get max 42 nia). The only PROBLEM is I GOt No Internet Connection !!! Why ??? Pls help.

Some router like HG256 maybe the firmware loaded with unoptimized driver for the wifi, so 42 instead of ~55Mbps practical throughput

Internet wise, make sure you're not getting DHCP lease from WL556.

Dave27

Reaction score
Hi all, I just purchased this and I can't even access to the web GUI 10.0.10.254. It just can't load at all. Anyone can help?

Bro, when you enter 10.0.10.254 and the GUI doesn't load, you need to clear your cache in internet explorer. If you are using IE8,

1. From the Safety menu in the upper right, click Delete Browsing History... .

2. Deselect Preserve Favorites website data, and select Temporary Internet files, Cookies, and History.

3. Click Delete.

When you are done with this, enter the 10.0.10.254. That should work. I am using a router where I need to enter 192.168.1.1 but it doesn't load until I clear the cache in IE.

achilles69

Reaction score
Some router like HG256 maybe the firmware loaded with unoptimized driver for the wifi, so 42 instead of ~55Mbps practical throughput

Internet wise, make sure you're not getting DHCP lease from WL556.

Bro, simi is DHCP lease ?

achilles69

Reaction score
Hi guys, some update regarding this issue.

I have finally had this repeater running liao. My brother-in-law helped me to set it. I think he went into the repeater gateway (10.0.10.254) to set, I forgot how he did it, but got something to do with getting the SSID and WPA of my HG router.
B4 it was resolve, I always receive a seperate wireless signal from the Aztech repeater (i.e, the ssid of Aztech), after I resolved it, I only see my HG signal and no more Aztech, and the signal strength increased from 54 to 130mbps!
The only problem is I still cannot connect it direct with cable to my PC ! I think its probably my PC's problem cos when I connect it to other PC, it works well too.

Fresnel

Reaction score
Could you check with your Bro in law what he did? I am having problems with this device as well. Also, are u using a MAC or Win 7 to connect to your repeateR?
thanks!

Hi guys, some update regarding this issue.

I have finally had this repeater running liao. My brother-in-law helped me to set it. I think he went into the repeater gateway (10.0.10.254) to set, I forgot how he did it, but got something to do with getting the SSID and WPA of my HG router.
B4 it was resolve, I always receive a seperate wireless signal from the Aztech repeater (i.e, the ssid of Aztech), after I resolved it, I only see my HG signal and no more Aztech, and the signal strength increased from 54 to 130mbps!
The only problem is I still cannot connect it direct with cable to my PC ! I think its probably my PC's problem cos when I connect it to other PC, it works well too.

achilles69

Reaction score
Could you check with your Bro in law what he did? I am having problems with this device as well. Also, are u using a MAC or Win 7 to connect to your repeateR?
thanks!

I m using XP 3, I cannot access into the Aztech's gateway ever since I "linked" in together. Tats y I can't remember wat are the steps.
But did u see the Aztech wireless signal ? Can u connect to this wireless connection? My previous problem was, I can connect to the wireless network but does not have internet connection.

Fresnel

Reaction score
Ya it seems it only have problem wif Win Vista onwards ler....XP i heard no problem. I get 5 bars but no internet connection :(

haans

Reaction score
Aztech Repeater

Basically the default IP for WL556 is 10.0.10.254. Once you completed the configuration from the WEB gui through this IP and it function as a repeater. You can no longer input this IP address. It is stated in their instructions manual.

What you need to do is to set your laptop's ethernet/wireless to a static IP. I always prefer to use the ethernet LAN. Set to 10.0.10.1, subnet 255.255.255.0

Then you can administer 10.0.10.254.

What I found from this repeater is that the signal that are 'repeated' wirelessly has become slow. Eg: I have a 10Mbps. A normal wirless signal direct from the router gives me 10Mbps+-. When I move into a repeater zone, it hardly give me 3Mbps!

dgl12345

Reaction score
Just bought the AZTECH repeater and its not working

I just bought the repeater today, and I am encountering the same problem as everybody else.

After configuring the repeater, the connection to the wireless router is stronger, but the internet connection is lost. When I turn the repeater off, I can get the internet connection.

I am using the AZTECH WL557RT4 (surprise surprise) with the WL556E repeater. I managed to copy all the wireless SSID etc from the system survey list and entered the necc passcode.

Has anybody got it to work at all? This is an utterly disappointing product, and equally disappointing tech support.

winonse

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I found out that there is a new firmware available for the aztech WL556E on their website. I tried loading it to my unit and it work well. I'm using a linksys N router and the signal is very weak that's why i bought this product. One of my friend is also using the repeater and he advised me to place it in a location where it can get at least 3 bars of wireless signal from the router. I've followed it and it works for me. Now i'm monitoring for 3 days and still up.

dgl12345

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I found out that there is a new firmware available for the aztech WL556E on their website. I tried loading it to my unit and it work well. I'm using a linksys N router and the signal is very weak that's why i bought this product. One of my friend is also using the repeater and he advised me to place it in a location where it can get at least 3 bars of wireless signal from the router. I've followed it and it works for me. Now i'm monitoring for 3 days and still up.
1. May I know if your internet connection is stable all the time or mostly down when the repeater is turned on.
2. Do you use the same SSID for the repeater as the main wireless router?
Thanks in advance.

ruthless0520

Reaction score
im using the white 2wire with the repeater. used to be always diconnect from internet but with latest firmware solved the problem for me. btw, i have same ssid on the 2 devices.

dgl12345

Reaction score
Failure upgrading firmware

I have tried to update the firmware, unfortunately when I click on the upgrade button, it says "Failure to upgrade firmware". I have reset the repeater before doing this.

Another note for AZTECH support if you bother to troubleshoot this at all:

When I have my repeater off, my pc is able to obtain it's IP, DNS, and gateway correctly from the wireless router. When I turn on the repeater, while the wireless network is connected to the repeater, the PC does not have any IP addressed assigned, nor DNS or gateway. (Shown in ipconfig /all, I am also not able to issue a /renew command)

This is the cause for not being able to access the internet.

I wonder if AZTECH is still supporting this defective or incompatible product, because I see them selling at Sim Lim and many other computer shops.

DoAsInfinity

Reaction score
WL556E
Singnet mio 2wire modem
Tp link 821 300mbps adaptor

Hi All, I have a wl556e, flashed to the latest firmware from aztech website, followed guide to setup and configured to the 2wire modem (no auto channel) and I'm getting no Internet access error on win7 pc. What could be the problem? I am connected to the singnet ssid, or am I supposed to see the ssid aztech something?

Tia

By the way I managed to connect it once before the tech support called me. After rebooting both 556 and pc, "no Internet access" or unknown network or stuck at identifying network

Last edited:

goodwin

Reaction score
I have tried to update the firmware, unfortunately when I click on the upgrade button, it says "Failure to upgrade firmware". I have reset the repeater before doing this.

Another note for AZTECH support if you bother to troubleshoot this at all:

When I have my repeater off, my pc is able to obtain it's IP, DNS, and gateway correctly from the wireless router. When I turn on the repeater, while the wireless network is connected to the repeater, the PC does not have any IP addressed assigned, nor DNS or gateway. (Shown in ipconfig /all, I am also not able to issue a /renew command)

This is the cause for not being able to access the internet.

I wonder if AZTECH is still supporting this defective or incompatible product, because I see them selling at Sim Lim and many other computer shops.

Are u using Starhub, SingTel or M1 ?

What is your SSID ? Password to access your wireless ?

dgl12345

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I am using Starhub. My SSID is DanGeeLan and I am using WEP-Open with 26 Hex char password.

May I know why you ask?

I am using a WL557RT4 AZTECH router with fixed channel (1)

KalTorak

Reaction score
Is there any real support for Aztech products here?

I have similar issues with the rest of the users. Can connect via the wireless extender but no internet connectivity due to automatic IP addressing (169.254...). WL556E successfully connects and authenticates with the main wireless router.

There was a post mentioning about DHCP conflict on the WL556E and somebody suggested turning off the extender's DHCP function. However, there is no such setting on the WL556E web gui.

Both my router and WL556E are already on latest firmware. Router set to manual/fixed channel.

Tried the following work around which worked...

1) Power OFF the WL556E repeater and restart router. Connect directly via wireless to router (D'oh!).

2) Set static IP on all wired and wireless devices. Yes, the wifi extender affects even wired dhcp clients.

Any help about this?!?

ruthless0520

Reaction score
Hi DGL12345,

I dont see anything wrong with ur config.

Could you try to reset the repeater to factory config by pressing the reset button for 5 secs. Then try to do the setup again. While you are doing the Site Survey, notice the signal strength of your wireless router, make sure that the repeater is receiving atleast 30% signal from ur WL557.

Also make sure you have the latest firmware for the repeater.

Thanks for the help. I am using Starhub. My SSID is DanGeeLan and I am using WEP-Open with 26 Hex char password.

May I know why you ask?

I am using a WL557RT4 AZTECH router with fixed channel (1)

ruthless0520

Reaction score
HI KalTorak,

Do you mind sharing your Wireless Router config? And what brand and model is ur Wireless Router?

Is there any real support for Aztech products here?

I have similar issues with the rest of the users. Can connect via the wireless extender but no internet connectivity due to automatic IP addressing (169.254...). WL556E successfully connects and authenticates with the main wireless router.

There was a post mentioning about DHCP conflict on the WL556E and somebody suggested turning off the extender's DHCP function. However, there is no such setting on the WL556E web gui.

Both my router and WL556E are already on latest firmware. Router set to manual/fixed channel.

Tried the following work around which worked...

1) Power OFF the WL556E repeater and restart router. Connect directly via wireless to router (D'oh!).

2) Set static IP on all wired and wireless devices. Yes, the wifi extender affects even wired dhcp clients.

Any help about this?!?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.